Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BossRighteous posted:

This is somehow a very good thing.

It's because they only allow "cash accounts", it's an SEC rule that your trade has 3 days to clear the sale of the stock before you can use it again, otherwise it's called "free riding", which a broker is required to restrict your account for. The other type of account is a "margin account", which Robinhood will be offering soon. Then there's no free riding stipulation, but you run into day trading rules, where you can't make 4 intraday trades in a week or you get restricted, unless you have 25k+. Also you can buy stocks on margin then (using more money than you have in your account..borrowed money..where the real fun is)

I'm doing pretty well so far with my (tiny) Robinhood account but I don't want to give any details lest I give someone the wrong impression about how easy this is. Balls of steel gents, that's what you need. Big hanging balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'll post a tip when I think of my next one but you're all gonna have to take it with a HUGE grain of salt because I'm a borderline retard who will shove my chips at the slightest sense of a positive outcome. I've worked in stock trading before but you can't fix stupid and reckless basically. Roll the dice niggas

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

stockbrokers are snake oil salesmen. it's been proven time and time again that they can't beat the natural rise of the market over any extended period of time.

they are scum. they are literally the most useless people on this retarded earth.

goons beware - don't get involved with this bullshit.

it doesn't stop everyone thinking they're some kind of loving savant that can beat the market without access to private information

one of my friends has a phd in maths and he and a friend set up a trading bot and fed it money, arguing with me vehemently that the market was not weakly efficient and the apparent brownian motions on that basis were not in fact random

a few months after that he stopped talking about it and strongly resists my attempts to draw him into discussion

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
lol the referrals are based on how many other people you refer in just use your referral link and a proxy to sign up with more accounts in your browser I jumped ahead like 350k just now.

can't wait to lose some money gambling on bullshit no one actually understands.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
drat A Cop, you were right about CSIQ so far. Up .30 in just 20 minutes. Hope you managed to get some money in before this morning.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
FXCM is currently playing in the poo poo, selling at ~3.50 yesterday looks real good right now. Imma wait it out though, good thing im in from 2.24.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

My hot tip of the day continues to be FXCM, however it is important to remember that stocks are heavily impacted by feelings, and emotion. So I recommend buying 69 shares on a limit order at 2.65 .. the funny numbers will cause your emotional vibration to match tehat of the stock, and in turn send it soaring.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I just did exactly that and what do you now...2.85. I know my stuff.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Phlairdon posted:

drat A Cop, you were right about CSIQ so far. Up .30 in just 20 minutes. Hope you managed to get some money in before this morning.

I stole that tip from the bis/fin thread but gently caress!!! I'm unable to purchase it because of robinhood....not sure why. I sent them an email about it. Maybe because it's foreign or some poo poo? Canada?? Idk.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
buy GOOG

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
What is the difference between an IPO and a regular stock?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

vInitial public offering (IPO) or stock market launch is a type of public offering in which shares of stock in a company usually are sold to institutional investors (that price the company receives from the institutional investors is the IPO price) that in turn sell to the general public, on a securities exchange, for the first time. Through this process, a private company transforms into a public company. It's basically Evolution from Pokemon

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Helmholz posted:

What is the difference between an IPO and a regular stock?

IPOs generally you can't get in at the real good prices and by the time they are available all the insiders just sell into the latecomers (who think they're early) and they lose their shirts. Not always true but usually. There is no technical difference though, an IPO is just a new stock.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lets all trade stocks ironically

Here..have this stock..heh

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
im investing in taint stocks, and then reaping stocks seperately

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sorry about the gains today, all. At least my hot pick is still good, if you got in at 2.69 like I suggested. Where's the money,,,where's it hidinge.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Redacted

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I think we all helped some people pump and dump lol. I'm rating FXCM a HOLD, for a year. Starting today.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

If the yahoo finance FXCM boards are to be believed, we all might get rich sooner than we could have possibly imagined..

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

lol let's all hope for the best, if only for Zoe of Sparta

zoeofsparta posted:

I am ruined got a margin house call
Shorted $1.30 covered at $2.67 went long at $3.40 sold at $2.05. Do you guys think that if I buy at $2.30 AH FXCM will open at $7.90 or .79 cents. Please help....I am raising 4 sheeps with special needs....

http://finance.yahoo.com/mbview/thr...=la%2Cd%2C0%2C3

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm jealous of this hot trading action

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol at all of this http://finance.yahoo.com/mbview/use...e0eb8cd8c7&lv=e

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

There needs to be a yahoo finance weekend web

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

You sure do bump your own thread a lot.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I don't care about bumps.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
just bought 10000 shares of GMTS

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
just sold everything for a tidy proffit

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

a cop posted:

I stole that tip from the bis/fin thread but gently caress!!! I'm unable to purchase it because of robinhood....not sure why. I sent them an email about it. Maybe because it's foreign or some poo poo? Canada?? Idk.

Some stocks, such as over the counter stocks, can't be traded online. That may be the issue.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Fuckstick posted:

Some stocks, such as over the counter stocks, can't be traded online. That may be the issue.

It's this

Robinhood posted:

Hi a cop,

There are certain foreign domiciled companies listed on U.S. exchanges that when traded may incur foreign financial transaction fees. In order to protect users from unexpected fees, we do not allow these securities to be traded at this time.

Sincerely,
The Robinhood Team

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a cop posted:

vInitial public offering (IPO) or stock market launch is a type of public offering in which shares of stock in a company usually are sold to institutional investors (that price the company receives from the institutional investors is the IPO price) that in turn sell to the general public, on a securities exchange, for the first time. Through this process, a private company transforms into a public company. It's basically Evolution from Pokemon

L O L

robot
Sep 24, 2004
yawn
If anyone has an extra invite they could PM me I'd really appreciate it and actually use it. I've been on the waiting list since May and there's still 157,000 people ahead of me somehow.

edit: got an invite, thank you kind goon!

robot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 24, 2015

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i'd invite you but i'm too busy trading stocks making that crazy cash monies

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tautologicus posted:

It's because they only allow "cash accounts", it's an SEC rule that your trade has 3 days to clear the sale of the stock before you can use it again, otherwise it's called "free riding", which a broker is required to restrict your account for. The other type of account is a "margin account", which Robinhood will be offering soon. Then there's no free riding stipulation, but you run into day trading rules, where you can't make 4 intraday trades in a week or you get restricted, unless you have 25k+. Also you can buy stocks on margin then (using more money than you have in your account..borrowed money..where the real fun is)

I'm doing pretty well so far with my (tiny) Robinhood account but I don't want to give any details lest I give someone the wrong impression about how easy this is. Balls of steel gents, that's what you need. Big hanging balls

none of this has ever made any sense to me it sounds like when nerds talk about D&D

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

IPOs generally you can't get in at the real good prices and by the time they are available all the insiders just sell into the latecomers (who think they're early) and they lose their shirts. Not always true but usually. There is no technical difference though, an IPO is just a new stock.

Yeah average joe investor gets a inflated price while institutional/smart money gets the lower price.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

robot posted:

If anyone has an extra invite they could PM me I'd really appreciate it and actually use it. I've been on the waiting list since May and there's still 157,000 people ahead of me somehow.

Invite another email address of yours (i don't have any more invites), i got on the list and was in within 5 days of doing that. Lol 8 months waiting

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
invest in bitcoin bros. its only going up!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeike posted:

invest in bitcoin bros. its only going up!

it's low now, time to buy

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Neurosis posted:

it doesn't stop everyone thinking they're some kind of loving savant that can beat the market without access to private information

one of my friends has a phd in maths and he and a friend set up a trading bot and fed it money, arguing with me vehemently that the market was not weakly efficient and the apparent brownian motions on that basis were not in fact random

a few months after that he stopped talking about it and strongly resists my attempts to draw him into discussion

lol

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

Different market players utilize public information differently, and the information keeps coming..hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also about your math friends, the creators of the black-scholes model lost money using their model in the market whenever they tried to make a trade..a good mathematician does not a good trader make

• Locked thread