Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Enjoying the LP so far Dazz! I'm glad you briefly showcased one of my favorite parts from the beginning of the next area, the unfinished/sloppy geometry. You can see parts of the upcoming area hovering in the sky. I guess they were betting on people not looking up.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
It's miserable how Lucatiel is super prone to falling off the docks if you leave any of the hanging Varangians around for her to attack. :(

Also yes! Thank you for this LP! It's relaxing to listen to, and has been motivating me to get back to actually beating the game.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Finally caught up with the thread and it's been going really well. I like the pace things are going at gameplay wise, you don't linger too much or go too fast for me to take in what the game has to offer either. Keep it up!

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

Enjoying the LP so far Dazz! I'm glad you briefly showcased one of my favorite parts from the beginning of the next area, the unfinished/sloppy geometry. You can see parts of the upcoming area hovering in the sky. I guess they were betting of people not looking up.

That's actually a glitch. If you quit the game and load it back up, the skybox will load and you won't be able to see that geometry anymore.

e. I think? Although I've never checked if I can still see it while I have the skybox showing.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

On the plus side, taking the route to the Bastille with the glitchy geometry leads to a particularly amazing view once you reach the dungeon proper, which itself is one of this game's best.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Hello Lonesome Gavlan, have some old weapons. Just leave the souls on my upper shelf, thank you.

This LP is really great! Informative LP's of Souls games are always interesting to watch when you're terrible at them like I am, and your commentary is really nice. I enjoyed what I played of DS2 but I think it was mostly because I'm a sucker for the armor designs in these games and man is some of the Fashion Souls action in this one pretty.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Update! Some miscellaneous explorations before we start exploring the Lost Bastille in its entirety.

Rats! Rats in the... well, rats in the everything.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Your LP got me to finally try a power stance character.

This loving rocks; I'm never going back

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
While it's an unimpressive boss on replaying the game, Royal Rat Vanguard was by far my favorite boss my first time through the game. My exact thought process was "What the hell is going on... oh my god From, you bunch of bastards."

I get the sense you dallied around in Grave of Saints intentionally, hoping to get summoned as a grey phantom. Kind of disappointed it didn't get to happen.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I do like Royal Rat Vanguard quite a bit, because I consider it one of the freakiest fights in the series. Big rear end demons are cool but sort of abstract (although body horror dudes like Ceaseless Discharge I can get behind), but a swarm of loving giant rats in a claustrophobic area is magnificently primal in the best possible way; you can feel your inner caveman going "oh gently caress no, nope" and it's wonderful.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
The first pit jump hits for just about 760 damage, which means that a level 1 character with the Silvercat ring equipped could survive the fall if they were willing to get naked first. For somebody like Hal, who places such a high value on pimpin' duds, between 850 and 900 should be safe.

That means that the Royal Rat Vanguard could be the very first boss you fight if you're willing to farm some souls up. You could be in the gutter right from your first stop in Majula if you were a crazy person!

TOP TIP FROM TIP TOWN: don't loving do that; the gutter is spooked for real.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Vanguard is one of the better boss fights in the game. It's a good, original idea and pretty tough unless you decide to cheese it completely.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the Vanguard is one of the better boss fights in the game. It's a good, original idea and pretty tough unless you decide to cheese it completely.

:eng101: It's also one of the very few boss fights in the game where you will never be able to summon a buddy to help! The area itself prevents you from using either of the white soapstones.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I spent a bit more time in the grave than necessary because I wanted to get summoned for some rat king hijinks (including some off camera lingeringl, even) but I just couldn't get a bite that day. I'll put it on my bonus video to-do list, it's probably the most original new multiplayer mechanic in 2 and it deserves to be shown off.

The Royal Rat Vanguard is definitely a memorable fight because of how different it is, which makes the fact that it is completely and totally optional kind of a shame. On my first playthrough I never even found the Grave of Saints.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Reminds me of the Phalanx fight in Demon's Souls. Except with the environment better suited to support the gimmick.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

For those who haven't really been keeping their finger on the pulse of Dark Souls lately (shame on you!), From released its latest calibrations patch for Dark Souls 2 today. There are some fairly significant changes that will be covered once I have them figured out. Other than that, the LP should continue more or less as scheduled and in the same way as before.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What kind of changes, exactly? I noticed the big download when I went to go play today, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What kind of changes, exactly? I noticed the big download when I went to go play today, too.

Balance changes, new NPC, new boss, some other stuff. Ask in the thread if you want to know specifics.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! (this was recorded before the Scholar of the First Sin patch hit, for the record)

They say that crows can remember human faces. As luck would have it, the Pursuer's not human and Hal always wears a mask.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Funny thing about the ruin sentinels is that you can stunlock them if you dual wield maces or clubs. They stagger after a single L2, and you can time it exactly so the stamina regeneration matches up with their stagger recovery.

But you're definitely right about soloing the sentinels being a game of patience. After fighting them countless numbers of times (due to it being a popular summon spot and needing to level up a covenant), I have their tells down pat, but jumping the gun and getting greedy is still a fast track to death. There is, however, no excuse for the sheer incompetence of some people. I've had hosts die before I even finished getting through the fog door.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

inthesto posted:

Funny thing about the ruin sentinels is that you can stunlock them if you dual wield maces or clubs. They stagger after a single L2, and you can time it exactly so the stamina regeneration matches up with their stagger recovery.

But you're definitely right about soloing the sentinels being a game of patience. After fighting them countless numbers of times (due to it being a popular summon spot and needing to level up a covenant), I have their tells down pat, but jumping the gun and getting greedy is still a fast track to death. There is, however, no excuse for the sheer incompetence of some people. I've had hosts die before I even finished getting through the fog door.

I had so much trouble with the Sentinels for the longest time when I first played the game because I was too in love with dodge rolling. Staying out of everyone's way worked for everyone else, why shouldn't I just roll around the Sentinels? As such I had an absolutely miserable time with them and died so many times.

The trick is shields. loving shields. If you get summoned for the Sentinels fight by a host with no shield, chances are he's going to get spanked by the triplets. The moment I actually started to keep and use shields on my character(s) was the moment that the Sentinels fight became so much easier.

You're absolutely right about Host Incompetency though. So many people just summon and run off, or get dunked on the very first attack. It's...kind of sad really. And utterly hilarious/frustrating depending on your mood. At the very least the dumb ones tend to not waste your time for long.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I had one incredibly bad host who summoned me for one of the more famous problem bosses and proceeded to sit in the corner and watch me fight the entire thing solo. Not only was I stuck fighting a beefed up version of the boss, but you really had to wonder if they guy even wanted to play the game.

Also, I don't remember if Addar mentioned it, but there is one noticeable downside to failing a boss fight as a summon: Your weapon durability doesn't refill. Three or four failed summons in a row leads to a broken weapon, which is moderately annoying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been ably keeping the Pursuer busy for a Host only to hear CLAAAACK and get ballista'd.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

I cannot tell you how many times I've been ably keeping the Pursuer busy for a Host only to hear CLAAAACK and get ballista'd.

It's even better when you hear that noise as the host. :suicide:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I thought the sentinels' weakness was the Dark Pine Resin, not the Lightning. Either way, good job on first-trying them. So close to the :kheldragar: Fun :kheldragar: now.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Archenteron posted:

I thought the sentinels' weakness was the Dark Pine Resin, not the Lightning. Either way, good job on first-trying them. So close to the :kheldragar: Fun :kheldragar: now.

Elemental weaknesses in this game are surprisingly consistent. All heavily armored enemies are weak to lightning. Only a few things are actually weak to Dark, but so few things resist it, which makes it very consistently good.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The descriptions for the resins spell out what they're good against too, which is very thoughtful of From, really.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
I already posted this in MassRafTer's thread, but you know what would make this game way better? Captain Toad. Just running around, having adventures in Drangleic.

---

---

Is that what Hal' hiding under the helmet? Is Hal Captain Toad, Daz?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The door in the bottom of the tower is actually a shortcut, you can jump down from the side path with the dog and avoid all the royal swordsmen. :eng101:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

The door in the bottom of the tower is actually a shortcut, you can jump down from the side path with the dog and avoid all the royal swordsmen. :eng101:

Even if you're really bad at fighting the royal swordsmen, it's still probably better to take on the zombies.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Elemental damage and resistances in Dark Souls 2 are a bit odd. Who is weak to what is usually fairly intuitive once you've got the basic idea down: Fire is strong against squishy gross things, Lightning is strong against heavily armored enemies and... certain other things, and there aren't very many enemies that are outright weak to Magic and Dark but not many resist them, either. If something resists both magic and dark damage there's a good chance that elemental damage in general is a no go and you should stick to purely physical attacks. Poison is a bit of an oddball. Nothing is really -weak- to poison type damage, poison vulnerability is determined pretty much entirely by a simple litmus test: can you poison this thing, or can't you. You can poison more things than not, which is nice, but there isn't really a good way to tell on a case by case basis except for experimentation (or looking it up). Most consistently, I've found that you can't poison squishy gross things like rats (or if you can, it takes quite a bit of buildup).

Bleed is kind of useless but on the bright side even things that really have no business bleeding are vulnerable to its effects.

Further: pine resin applies a fixed amount of elemental damage to a weapon for a short period of time. However, if a weapon has elemental damage on it to begin with (like the fire longsword, for instance), then that damage will scale with your character's statistics- some combination of Intelligence and Faith determines the scaling for each element, except for poison and bleed, which are governed by dexterity. Gone are the days where you could just slap a lightning enchantment on your Zweihander and kill everything, forever. Infusing elemental damage to a weapon can actually lower its effectiveness if you don't have the right stats to take advantage of it.

A video on statistics and scaling in detail is in the works, for what it's worth. There's a lot of questionably relevant fluff to sift through to figure out the game's numerical systems.

UNRELATED: I'm going to be streaming at around 6:00 PM PST tomorrow night as Hal journeys up Belfry Luna. If you want to try and join in on the mayhem, I'll post the link to the stream as well as relevant soul memory information. I'll probably stick around in the area for a while (maybe even by choice), so feel free to drop by.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Dark Pine Resin description says: "Good against clerics and magical creatures". Always assumed that the Sentinels were holy/magical guardian constructs so you bop em with the shadows. :shrug:

Then again I always shoved the resin on a mace or (double) caestus so I wasn't noticing the wrong element over that sweet sweet overpowered blunt damage bonus against 50% of the game~

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DS2 drinking game. Drink every time an NPC ends a sentence with "heh heh" or some variant.

(don't do that. you'll die.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Can the effects of the Serpent rings stack?

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013

Samovar posted:

Can the effects of the Serpent rings stack?

Nope. You can't wear two of the same ring, period, and the game treats a +0 and a +1 as identical for the purposes of equipping. The only reason to wear a +0 when you have a +1 is if you desperately, desperately need to save that precious 0.2 weight units, or if you seriously care about ring durability. Other equipment that increases soul yield DOES stack with the covetous silver serpent ring, so if you're looking for the most souls possible you have fashionable, gaudy options at your fingertips!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

UNRELATED: I'm going to be streaming at around 6:00 PM PST tomorrow night as Hal journeys up Belfry Luna. If you want to try and join in on the mayhem, I'll post the link to the stream as well as relevant soul memory information. I'll probably stick around in the area for a while (maybe even by choice), so feel free to drop by.

Hmm, definitely gonna need to check Leanne's soul memory, then

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's too bad I'll be out for the night, because there's nothing I love more than causing mayhem in the upcoming area. :allears:

Of course, the catch is that I leave my sunbro summon sign at the entrance and smash all the people who are trying to farm up titanite.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Alright, I'm gearing up to stream soon, in about half an hour. Hal's current soul memory is 214131. I'll be in the Belfry Luna area. If you want to join in, you can either join the Bellringer's Covenant, bring some red eye orbs, or leave a summon sign somewhere.
Stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/Dazz so drop on by if you'd like. Playing on the PC version, for posterity.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Was hoping to jump in and see if I could be your Sunbro, but life seems to be preventing me from doing that. Doesn't stop me from watching the hilarity live though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So funny thing about the Ruin Sentinels, my first time through the game I missed them completely. They're actually totally optional for getting through the Lost Bastille and don't gate anything plot important.

I was confused as hell when people were talking about them.

• Locked thread