Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dazzling Addar posted:

Since we're talking about bosses, have a bonus update!

Every humiliating defeat, is a lesson.
It's private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
During the last Lost Bastille video, I was going to chide you for not reading the Inspirational Skeleton Message outside of the Skeleton Door, but then you went and made your own Inspirational Skeleton Message in the past video. Well done.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Simply Simon posted:

It's private

Apologies! There should be no issue now. Something went haywire with the upload settings and I immediately went to back to doing some testing in the game thinking that everything was ok. A fool I am, to be sure.

Also: If you've recently gotten back into playing Dark Souls 2 and you're doing Scholar of the First Sin things, be sure to check out the ornate chest in Majula Mansion's basement. You'll get some exclusively skinned weapons.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 11, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I caved and bought the PC version because of this thread and Bloodborne is still ways off. The last Souls game I played was Demon's Souls so this should be good fun. What is the most massive hammer I can find in this game?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

WaltherFeng posted:

I caved and bought the PC version because of this thread and Bloodborne is still ways off. The last Souls game I played was Demon's Souls so this should be good fun. What is the most massive hammer I can find in this game?
You get it off enemies in the Iron King DLC. Really can't miss it!

Earlier: there is a loving anvil on a stick.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Smelter Hammer.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Tangential, but is the recent patch just the balance changes for SotFS, or is it all the game changes (enemy placement, dialogue, flavor text and such) as well?

:stare:

I haven't played the DLC. I'm actually doing a playthrough of all the Souls games now, only on Demon's at the moment. I am loving stoked for this new stuff here.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The patch does change a lot - it adds in the Scholar, it adds the extra weapons and it updates the descriptions. I'm not sure if makes all the change they're planning to make in the re-release though - it definitely doesn't have the multiplayer tweaks they're talking about.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The Smelter Hammer definitely wins the weight, size and stat contest -- it's 35 Strength to two-hand, 70 to one-hand and 99 to powerstance.

Personally I'm somewhat partial to the Malformed Skull because, well, it's a Malformed Skull.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Here is a comprehensive list of what the latest patch has changed:

-Hosts now receive rewards from defeating Bell covenant invaders, prize pool increased to slabs, twinklies, and bones
-Rat King covenant members get smooth and silky stones for winning in addition to lockstones and rat tails
-Joining the Covenant of Champions makes it so that enemies will respawn indefinitely (useful for farming rare drops), but it will also make enemies hurt more. I think this remains in effect even if you leave the covenant.
-Rusted Coins have been improved, now actually giving an appreciable drop rate increase instead of a measly 1%
-Matchmaking has been improved and its generally easier to connect with players
-The Travel interface has been changed so that the areas you are most likely to find other players to connect to are highlighted in orange
-Upon defeating an area boss, you get a free burned effigy effect to block incoming phantoms (you can disable this at the bonfire whenever you want)
-Some miscellaneous balance tweaks and calibrations
-The addition of The Scholar of the First Sin character
-Some item descriptions have been changed around or elaborated on
-You can purchase the Agape Ring for 5000 souls, which, when equipped, will prevent you from gaining souls from any source
-White phantoms now can stay in another player's world for quite a bit longer than they used to, and you cannot be sent home during a boss fight you are actively participating in
-a bunch of bugfixes and tweaks to make some items/abilities work properly
-invaders can no longer use items that invite or attract other enemies (so tossing skulls at the other guy is still funny but will no longer do anything)
-Silver talismans and other disguise effects will now work on regular enemies, at least to some extent

The Smelter Hammer is easily the largest weapon in the game, but it can be difficult to obtain and even more difficult to wield. Smaller, but more reasonable options include: The Large and Great Clubs, Archdrake Warpick, Drakekeeper's Warpick, one or two boss weapons (one of which is amazingly goofy). I can't speak too specifically, spoilers and everything.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
Oh! That's what that orange border is! It's telling me "Hey, there be Multiplayer here"

Because of this thread I started a new run. I'm still doing my current punchman run, and I'm currently stuck trying to do Sunken king and Ivory king DLC, so I needed something else to do. Decided to go with a zappy mage. Forgot how fun zapping things could be.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Dazzling Addar posted:

-Joining the Covenant of Champions makes it so that enemies will respawn indefinitely (useful for farming rare drops), but it will also make enemies hurt more. I think this remains in effect even if you leave the covenant.
-You can purchase the Agape Ring for 5000 souls, which, when equipped, will prevent you from gaining souls from any source

For the first, does that mean the always-respawning remains active, or they keep the power buff? Or both, because Dark Souls.

And for the second, did they finally give us a way to cheese Soul Memory, or is that still going to be a thing with the ring?

Dazzling Addar posted:

one or two boss weapons (one of which is amazingly goofy). I can't speak too specifically, spoilers and everything.

Oh. OH.

I totally forgot about that one. Cannot wait. :allears:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
If you want the earliest possible huge hammer you can get one in like 10 minutes if you're willing to savescum. Giving the crows a Petrified Something can give you the Demon's Great Hammer and you can choose Petrified Something as your starting gift

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Proper update today, in which we'll start the next leg of our journey across Drangleic.

Melfia of Rosabeth, the great land of magic to the south, student of Fold of the Carhillion

quote:

For the first, does that mean the always-respawning remains active, or they keep the power buff? Or both, because Dark Souls.

And for the second, did they finally give us a way to cheese Soul Memory, or is that still going to be a thing with the ring?

I have not personally tested whether the spawns remain infinite while not in the covenant yet, but I can confirm that the damage buff remains and boy does it hurt if you completely forgot that it was a thing. The Agape ring allows you to cheese Soul Memory- to an extent. Even with meticulous planning, reaching the level of power necessary to grief newbies or whatever mischief is in your wicked little heart requires expenditure of souls. Probably the most flagrant thing you can do is just wear the Agape Ring all game and then hang around in low level areas with gear you can only find much later on. However, it's likely you won't even have the stats to use most of it, so the Agape Ring is a reasonably elegant solution to the problem. It's primary purpose, I think, is for Co-Op oriented players. You can only help out on one boss for so long until you get booted out of that soul memory tier. Wear the ring, and you can help with whatever you want for as long as you want.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The "selective poise during an attack" word that you were looking for is called SuperArmor.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Dazzling Addar posted:

I have not personally tested whether the spawns remain infinite while not in the covenant yet, but I can confirm that the damage buff remains and boy does it hurt if you completely forgot that it was a thing. The Agape ring allows you to cheese Soul Memory- to an extent. Even with meticulous planning, reaching the level of power necessary to grief newbies or whatever mischief is in your wicked little heart requires expenditure of souls. Probably the most flagrant thing you can do is just wear the Agape Ring all game and then hang around in low level areas with gear you can only find much later on. However, it's likely you won't even have the stats to use most of it, so the Agape Ring is a reasonably elegant solution to the problem. It's primary purpose, I think, is for Co-Op oriented players. You can only help out on one boss for so long until you get booted out of that soul memory tier. Wear the ring, and you can help with whatever you want for as long as you want.

You still have to spend souls, yeah, but it's still far more efficient to upgrade weapons than to level yourself up, so you could go farm/collect materials to get, say, a +5 Craftsman's hammer and a +10 Pyro Flame with end-game pyromancies and be a right rear end in a top hat to people in the forest of fallen giants or Heide's tower. It's way less egregious than DS1 but still super possible.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

The "selective poise during an attack" word that you were looking for is called SuperArmor.

Hyper Armor, actually.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Giga Armor, you nerds

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's kind of funny how completely goofed the Blue Sentinel arena is. I'm fairly sure there's zero soul memory matchmaking, because I've run into opponents who couldn't even scratch my life bar with a backstab.

The Agape Ring does sound fantastic, though. If I still had an XBox Live subscription, I'd go and make characters permanently dedicated to helping people with the Ruin Sentinels and the other infamous "problem boss".

Also, Super Armor and Hyper Armor are indeed related but different terms: Super armor breaks after a certain number of hits (usually just 1), whereas hyper armor never breaks. Examples of the former would be Juggernaut and Sentinel, examples of the latter would be Iron Zangief and Gold War Machine (all from Marvel vs Capcom 2, except for the latter). Super armor is the more relevant term, since poise can indeed break. (sorry for the fighting game derail)

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Well that explains why enemies are doing so much damage to punchman now. That...loving blows, and I hope it's a bug that gets fixed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

inthesto posted:

Also, Super Armor and Hyper Armor are indeed related but different terms: Super armor breaks after a certain number of hits (usually just 1), whereas hyper armor never breaks. Examples of the former would be Juggernaut and Sentinel, examples of the latter would be Iron Zangief and Gold War Machine (all from Marvel vs Capcom 2, except for the latter). Super armor is the more relevant term, since poise can indeed break. (sorry for the fighting game derail)

It's hyper armor since you can withstand any amount of attacks (also that's the term actually used). Granted for players it usually lasts few enough frames that only one attack can hit, but this is something you can potentially see with enemies (my go to example is always the Mindflayers in Demon's Souls; when they're raising their bells you cannot every stun them). Poise itself would is more similar to super armor.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 12, 2015

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Oh hey. Finally a Dark Souls II LP that I can watch instead of, y'know, making it. Gotta sit down and watch this now.

Maybe we could do that Fight Club I wanted to do for my thread here once we are far enough in.
It failed due to not having enough participants but this seems more alive

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 12, 2015

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just reached Sinner's Rise on my first playthrough and I realized I still have no idea where Heide's Tower of Flame and No Man's Wharf are. I'm really bad at navigating these dungeons.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
You probably just went down one particular path and never turned around to check if there's anything else.
You'll find the other areas if you look for other paths in Majula.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Dazzling Addar posted:

As far as I am aware (not tested personally though), Agape ring is actually only usable in multiplayer, so basically people who like to play as white phantoms can go on co-oping as long as they want without eventually screwing up their Soul Memory. All patch notes so far seem to indicate that this ring does nothing when not playing as a phantom. But it would be nice if somebody could confirm this.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

ivantod posted:

As far as I am aware (not tested personally though), Agape ring is actually only usable in multiplayer, so basically people who like to play as white phantoms can go on co-oping as long as they want without eventually screwing up their Soul Memory. All patch notes so far seem to indicate that this ring does nothing when not playing as a phantom. But it would be nice if somebody could confirm this.
You gain no souls period when wearing the ring. Phantom or human.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

heenato posted:

You gain no souls period when wearing the ring. Phantom or human.

Oh ok, that's even better if that's the case. Everything I've been able to find so far seems to indicate it's only when you are in MP, but if this is the case that it works anywhere/anytime, that's excellent!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I can confirm that the Agape Ring absorbs all souls, period, forever. I believe initial patch notes translations were a little sketchy so there was some confusion about how the ring functioned that endured for a while.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah. It's great. I mean, it does mean that there's a slightly better chance of getting griefed, since today in the bastile I got invaded by someone who had items from much further on in the game. Not armor, but weapons and such, but it's never going to be as bad as DS1's "You're fighting a man who has the shotgun magic spell and maxed out everything, but he kept his level low to gently caress with you"

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update once again! Do you like [skeleton]s?

rumors of my death may have been somewhat understated

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Hal got invited to the bone zone. The bone zone is not a place you want to be

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

About aiming spells, you can fire your spell while still looking through the binoculars. This will much more reliably hit what you want to aim at.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
A warning about aiming spells: You take a slight step forward, so stay away from ledges while sharpshooting

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Hal got invited to the bone zone. The bone zone is not a place you want to be

The Bone Zone has been the bane of DS players since DS1.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
When at some point I put Leanne's battle with the Skeleton Lords up on YouTube, you will truly learn what it is like to be taken to the Bone Zone near the Bone Throne by the Bone Wheels

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think Darkest Dungeon's narrator put it best: "Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer."

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Vicas posted:

When at some point I put Leanne's battle with the Skeleton Lords up on YouTube, you will truly learn what it is like to be taken to the Bone Zone near the Bone Throne by the Bone Wheels

I actually tried to speedrun one of my alts through the copse to put down a summon sign but you beat the lords a couple minutes before I got there. It can be a tricky fight without help if you don't know the ancient skeleton weakness: large treetrunks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

I actually tried to speedrun one of my alts through the copse to put down a summon sign but you beat the lords a couple minutes before I got there. It can be a tricky fight without help if you don't know the ancient skeleton weakness: large treetrunks.

Their greatest weakness is spawn camping.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Spawn camping and punching. As usual, there is very little in dark souls 2 that cannot be solved by copious amounts of punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Happy Valentine's Day, we've got a date with someone who has... unconventional desires.

In professional circles, this is called "going on tilt"

(also please let me know if there are audio issues, I had some difficulties and had to resort to some janky recovery techniques. It should be fine, but I may have missed something.)

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 15, 2015

• Locked thread