Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Haven't played DS2 in a long time. All I have to say for now is this...

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
This LP got me into a second playthrough of the game mostly for the hell of it. I tried going with mostly lighter, dex-based weapons this time through until I could get my hands on the Mirrah greatsword and try to specialize in that. I was mostly using a falchion before, and while the new weapon was a great upgrade in terms of damage and durability it's also a bit slower..enough that it seems to sometimes get me killed, especially against other players and Ultra Greatsword Guy. What do you guys think of (non-ultra) greatswords? It's just kind of hit me that they occupy this weird middle ground between ultra weapons and medium weapons. Not fast enough to let you dodge, not heavy enough to stagger whatever you might be hitting.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

ousire posted:

Wait, so you climb to the top of the windmill castle, take an elevator up into the sky, and end up at the base of a different castle, this one surrounded by lava? :psyduck:

In DS2's early days there were a bunch of player messages in that elevator room along the lines of "but how?!" I'm apparently dumb when it comes to geography because I never really noticed the problem until I read a blatant explanation of it somewhere, and now I can't unsee it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I managed to beat UGS Guy the same way I beat nearly everything else. Block judiciously until I figure out a pattern in the way the AI attacks that leaves him open. I feel like a scrub.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So..I realized I've never really tried a character built around halberds, or hexes. In an effort to kill two birds with one stone, I decided to rush for (spoiler tags just in case) a usable, dark-infused roaring halberd. This means that I started off by going for easily available bosses (for souls) and that the first extended area I ran through was from Huntsman's copse to the area with the Smelter Demon in Iron Keep to get A Thing for A Person. Things I discovered along the way:

-In general, I'm way better at this than I used to be. I have yet to pick up a shield, and the Smelter area has been the only real roadblock so far.
-Fighting the Old DragonKnight as a lvl 18-ish cleric with a base level mace and like 87 agility is one of the more intense things I've done in this game.
-Doing low level invasions with high level equipment is now A Thing thanks to the Agape ring. drat it.
-Physical defenses can make a huge difference in the early game.
-A spell-enhanced zweihander hits like a truck even at base level.
-Running through the Forest of Fallen Giants with said zweihander is all kinds of :getin:
-You can stagger the Last Giant.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 23, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
If you're willing to go into high soul levels you can kind of fix the scaling problem by getting every stat to 22 and then making the spear mundane.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
While it's true that you can get the second Dragon Rider to hop down early, I've found that it's best to poison him with one of the poison cloud spells first. It only takes 1 cast on NG, and since he stands still all you need to do is target him for a second and cast it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
There is no horse head helmet. There's a thing from one of the DLC's that's similar.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Mazed posted:

Something else to comment on, spoilered for those who hadn't seen just yet.

So, the scene we come to at the end of this video, honest to god...

I actually cried a little when I got there.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
One of the impressions I've always received is that this curse/state of decay has been going on for a long time. To the point where yeah there's a mostly dead/abandoned section of a country, but nobody dares to go there because anyone who does never comes back. Think of it like the Salton Sea or maybe Centralia, Pennsylvania, but on a larger scale.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I went and bought the Scholar update that dropped today. I've never actually seen the DLC areas. Since it's my first time through the DLC's, I decided to mimic the first character I ever tried, which was a typical strength/heavy armor dude with a tower shield. Of course now I know what I'm doing and things are easier and I even found the tower shield way early on, but so far I haven't actually used a shield. See, just for funsies I picked the petrified something as a starting gift. Then the birds gave me a much better gift in exchange. Once I had the stats, I two-handed it and haven't looked back. Killing the ruin sentinels in about 6 hits each was awesome.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Dazzling Addar posted:

I've been trying to use a wide variety of weapons over the course of the playthrough, though I admit that in the DLC I have been favoring weapons I'm comfortable with. The Santier's Spear was a fan request, but when we return from the icier climbs I'll see what I can do to make things more interesting.

Voting for Ultra Greatsword and/or Curved Ultra Greatsword.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Thrusting weapons in general aren't as good in DS1 as they are in DS2.

Protip for DS1: Lucerne + old leo ring will apparently let you wreck stuff pretty well, as all of the lucerne's strikes count as 'thrusting'

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Spoilered just in case.
There are only four dudes you have to fight on the main path. The first is a sword/shield drake keeper in the usual spot, the second is the great hammer drake keeper in the usual spot, the third is a greatsword drake keeper after you go up the stairs but before you go in the door and the fourth is one of the little dragon dudes dual wielding black dragon greatswords with a golden aura at the top of the final set of stairs. All of them are accompanied by at least a couple of regular dragon dudes who bow to you as you enter their areas. If you kill the drake keepers/special dragon dude, the other guys leave you alone. If you run by, everything in the area aggros on you. Given what the final run up the stairs to the ancient dragon looks like, you probably don't want to run by anything or anyone. In summary instead of having to get through 8 drake keepers, a priestess and three dragon dudes you either have to get through 3 drake keepers and 1 special dragon dude if you fight or 3 drake keepers, 1 special dragon dude and like twenty regular dragon dudes if you run. Also the Dragon Arie before the shrine can be bypassed entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Yeah, if you don't already own the DLC's, but do own DS2 (I'm one of those) then getting SOTFS is quite the bargain.

• Locked thread