Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really should start up a new playthrough of this. I played it for a while on release and just never really got into it, but then again, if I may give some advice to new players, trying to do your first playthrough as a dual-wielding swashbuckler is a bad idea

But hey, what better time than the present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Zyla posted:

I eventually beat the game!

I just totally burned out from dying a billion times from bad parry timing/inability to stun enemies properly. I think in my new playthrough I'm gonna be a burly truck man because if it was good enough for DS1 then by god I'll make it good enough for DS2

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I think the biggest problem is trying to learn the layout of the game while simultaneously dodging things and especially having to come up with rather convoluted strategies for areas that wouldn't be much of a problem with a proper shield and sword

and then having to do them over and over and over and over

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Longsword is for puny, ungreat people

but pyromancy, that is for everyone

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Could you have this petty grudge fight in another thread, by any chance

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Alkydere posted:

Dual Cestus is an incredibly amazing setup actually, after being utter poo poo in the previous game. Punch Souls II is a very fun game, and the Warrior (the "sword and board" start that isn't in flowing red garments) has enough STR and DEX to power stance from the word go.

Yeah, I can remember a few stinkers from DS1. People will find a way to be horrible no matter the game.

Try holding with both hands is a Top Tier message and I will brook no disagreement

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I always feel like that boulder trap should be more... threatening than it actually is? It's really obvious and there's only a limited number, unlike Sen's in DS1

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This becomes especially obvious if you're exploring enough to get a billion estus shards (and the game will never stop piling lifegems on you)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I seriously love how it yanks its own arm off in the middle of the fight. for what is, as was said, mostly just a huge pair of legs (I didn't even know you could target its chest), this boss has a surprising amount of character and establishes itself well as an alien being

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

When I get to Belfry Luna/Sol I'll probably just make an announcement and stream it live. That should make for some fun video.

That is the good, correct decision

Also hope you're feeling better

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I really like seeing the ridiculous number of things I missed even in the parts of the game I have played

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

D_W posted:

The Dark Dwellers have really dumb looking arms. It's hard to take their designs seriously. They look like something someone made in Spore.

Honestly I think this was one of those instances of gameplay enhancing intended lore, because while that do look ridiculous, they do so much damage and inflict so much bleeding from such a long distance that the player can't help but recognize them as dangerous. I also really like how they aren't completely cowed by the light and you still have to be really careful fighting them after lighting the place up, it makes them feel more... I guess believable isn't really the word here, but it does convey the meaning I want

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

UNRELATED: I'm going to be streaming at around 6:00 PM PST tomorrow night as Hal journeys up Belfry Luna. If you want to try and join in on the mayhem, I'll post the link to the stream as well as relevant soul memory information. I'll probably stick around in the area for a while (maybe even by choice), so feel free to drop by.

Hmm, definitely gonna need to check Leanne's soul memory, then

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Trip report: Fog doors can be pesky and impenetrable at times

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, the biggest problem i've found is when i'm backing up to kite an enemy and lure it in and then suddenly NOPE Leanne's gonna swing behind herself now

Though at this point she's beefed up to the point where she can one hand it and I can safely say it was worth the investment

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's really a shame we didn't manage to summon MikeLitoris

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I thought our new pyromancy friend sounded familiar, and I looked her up and turns out she is in fact Fiora from Xenoblade (Carina Reeves, if you want to look it up yourself). This is pretty neat I think, especially since the outfit selection in that game is even more wild (there is sadly no samurai helmet-dinosaur feet- demon face gauntlet-scale armour costume in Dark Souls II).

Hahahahahah ohhhhh my god

tbh, that's a nice lead in to something I really do like about DS2: most of the voice actors are legitimately British, instead of American putting on a fake British accent, and it allows for a really wide range of accents rather than the binary Proper English Nobleman vs Cockney Slang thing you get with Americans doing British voices. My girlfriend and I actually got talking about this yesterday because she loves real British voices in games, and we managed to trace down the accent for a character who hasn't appeared yet (Magerold). It was actually really interesting because a lot of the voices in this game have a lot of depth to them, and they use regional accents extensively to differentiate all these characters that appear and sort of help fill out their character even with relatively short snippets of dialogue. I think it's a really neat touch

Vicas fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 10, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Giga Armor, you nerds

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
When at some point I put Leanne's battle with the Skeleton Lords up on YouTube, you will truly learn what it is like to be taken to the Bone Zone near the Bone Throne by the Bone Wheels

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
to be honest that wall puzzle is just so poorly designed. It's a cool idea that totally could've worked if they had just made the area more open so that getting him into place wasn't a 5 minute chore. literally all they needed to do was make that little area where he spawns just slightly larger so that you could get around him and get him into position, and there's no reason to make the hallways so tight

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Buried alive posted:

This LP got me into a second playthrough of the game mostly for the hell of it. I tried going with mostly lighter, dex-based weapons this time through until I could get my hands on the Mirrah greatsword and try to specialize in that. I was mostly using a falchion before, and while the new weapon was a great upgrade in terms of damage and durability it's also a bit slower..enough that it seems to sometimes get me killed, especially against other players and Ultra Greatsword Guy. What do you guys think of (non-ultra) greatswords? It's just kind of hit me that they occupy this weird middle ground between ultra weapons and medium weapons. Not fast enough to let you dodge, not heavy enough to stagger whatever you might be hitting.

My opinion is powerstance ultragreatswords or go home :colbert:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

Just a heads up, I'm fixing to stream some Belfry Sol this thursday evening. I'll get the details and soul memory figured out before then if anyone wants to join in. Might also do some Heirs of the Sun stuff too, depending, since there's no boss in that area.

What good timing

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
New thread title: Elevators as Metaphor: Let's Play Dark Souls 2!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Given that his VA is named Connor Byrne, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is Irish

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

Shoving your face up against walls and mashing the activate button is a new addition to Dark Souls 2. It's not really worse or better, but it is confusing for returning players.

i just wish there was some way they could teach it to you because my weapons took a lot of durability hits before I found that out

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
As a whole, I really like the mazey, connected areas like Lost Bastille and Earthen Peak. They really have that same feel that the best parts of DS1 had, where you pop out in a new area you could see earlier and suddenly your mental map becomes a lot clearer. I think Addar put it really well when she said Iron Keep feels a lot more "gamey." It's a series of rooms, each with their own challenges, each more or less entirely self contained, which I think is what makes the trek back to the boss such a pain in the rear end

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, what is Giant Furnace Room ever going to be used for? or hell, the room right after the entrance, with the fire-spewing bull statue? It's such a random setpiece in a room that sort of just exists for the player to surmount

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Mazed posted:

It's a shame they didn't do this. FROM does the "ruined" aesthetic superlatively well, when they really get into it. Check out the Kiln of the First Flame in DkS1, how all of the architecture there looks precisely like it started to melt in the middle of an explosion, with everything unnaturally warped -- extreme incendiary violence was done to this place. Iron Keep shoulda been an entire castle like that.

It was still a fun level, but eh, missed opportunities.

The Kiln is so good for that. Its entire look tells you exactly what happened there, the lore has been hinting that this happened through the black knight gear and all sorts of other touches, and you finally open the doors and step right into the ashes of a hellish explosion. That thing was so my poo poo.

e: It really ties back into the ideas of areas feeling "lived-in"/having a concrete story reason for being the way they are vs existing as a video game level. In Dark Souls 2, I do think the Gutter that we've briefly seen does this about as well as can be done, that's an area that feels believable

Vicas fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 21, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Something something From and unfinished fire areas

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh by the way, when I was streaming and looking for Shalquoir's special dialogue, someone told me she only says it after you've been all 4 old ones for... some reason

So that might be it

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Dazzling Addar posted:

what.

That's loving dumb. I'm mad about this.

yeah it's completely ridiculous and makes literally no sense, which is why I'm pretty sure they're right

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
game of the rear edition

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The Eagle Greatshield in DS1 is basically the second easiest mode after sorcerer. It's got so much poise you can tank anything

And ofc it's not like that's a bad thing, it's probably the biggest reason I beat the game the first time

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
hahahaha I've been wondering what that drat thing has done since the day I got this game. Mostly because I could never kill the ogres

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
haha wow, that's amazing. This feels like one of those things where they had a really cool idea but kind of cocked it all up by making the item basically impossible to break through normal play. This seems like something that would be so cool to discover on your own, or even to hear about and try out when you never gave the weapon a shot, but they make the method for getting it so contrived. Ah well

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
But that's dumb

And it's not even the dumbest, most obtuse thing in the game

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
yes, it is what i was referring to earlier

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
DS1 PC is a notoriously bad port because it was never intended to be on PC in the first place. Work was only started on the port after the game was a cult hit and there was a massive demand for it

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Black Gulch is so awful to play through the first time, good god. I think now I could probably navigate it alright but my first time through was basically a nightmare of running from one trap into the next one. If chat wasn't guiding me along I dunno how long it would've taken me

(for the curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UG9JnYbW0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Wayne posted:

Probably the second-most brutal grab in the game... and I'm pretty sure the least-damaging. Leanne [I think that's what he said upthread] wearing red and the GIF compression makes her a bit hard to spot. And check out Rotten's controller. \o/

it is kind of weird that the most viscerally brutal grab in the game is also one of the most non-lethal, especially in a game where grabs are almost always one hit kills

• Locked thread