Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
:darksouls: Latest Update: The Throne of Want :darksouls:

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @DazzlingAddarSA or subscribe to my hitbox channel http://hitbox.tv/Dazz for updates and streams!

about :

Dark Souls II is the sequel to the critically acclaimed 2011 action RPG, Dark Souls, which in itself was a spiritual continuation of 2009's Demon's Souls. Produced by From Software, the Dark Souls series follows the saga of the Undead Curse. Known for its difficult but fair gameplay, amazing art direction, and unique multiplayer systems, the series is fiercely beloved by its fans. In order to overcome the challenges they face, the player must amass a great many souls, the universal currency of the cursed land, and use them to become stronger. Beware, for your souls are lost upon death, and it is up to you to safely retrieve them from your bloodstain.

The LP:

This will be an informative, thorough, and deliberate playthrough of the game. Don't expect a speedrun or a no deaths playthrough, I want to present the game in an organic light and show off some of the experiences a newer player might have with the game. I will be doing solo commentary that is (hopefully) unobtrusive, so I can give the game some room to breathe and speak for itself. I intend to do multiple runthroughs of the game to showcase as many different ways to play as I can.

Things I will Show off:
-Multiplayer
-Optional Bosses
-The scenery!
-Secrets, such as they are
-NPC questlines and dialogue
-DLC (eventually)

Things I will not show off:
-getting to max rank in all covenants (brotherhood of blood alone requires a minium of 500 arena matches)
-literally every single item in the game, forever
-murdering NPCs for no reason

Thread Ground Rules:

I know that the Souls games can get people pretty riled up, so here are some requests from me to you about how to conduct yourself.
-Try not to go crazy with spoilers. If you have to talk about things that happen later, use tags.
-I strongly encourage discussion of all kinds, but I would appreciate it if you could save the Dark Souls 1 vs 2 debate for the other 4 threads currently embroiled in it.
-As always, use your best judgment. Breaking these rules will... not really result in anything because I don't have that kind of authority but even so. Best behavior, pretty please!

Videos:

Tale of Hal, Bearer of the Curse:

Episode 1: Things Betwixt
Episode 2: Exploring Majula
Episode 3: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part One
Episode 4-1: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Two
Episode 4-2: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Two
Episode 5: Forest of Fallen Giants, Part Three
Episode 6: Heide's Tower of Flame
Episode 7-1: No-Man's Wharf
Episode 7-2: No-Man's Wharf
Episode 8: Grave of Saints
Episode 9: Lost Bastille, Part One
Episode 10: Lost Bastille, Part Two
Episode 11: Belfry Luna Stream Bonanza
Episode 12: Sinner's Rise
Episode 13: Huntsman's Copse, Part One
Episode 14: Huntsman's Copse, Part Two
Episode 15: Undead Purgatory
Episode 16: Harvest Valley, Part One
Episode 17: Harvest Valley, Part Two
Episode 18: Earthen Peak, Part One
Episode 19: Earthen Peak, Part Two
Episode 20: Straid of Olaphis and Gilligan
Episode 21: Iron Keep, Part One
Episode 22: Iron Keep, Part Two
Episode 23: Iron Keep, Part Three
Episode 24: Looking Ahead, Looking Behind
Episode 25: Belfry Sol Stream Shindig Part 1, Part 2
Episode 26: Shaded Woods, Part one
Episode 27: Shaded Woods, Part two
Episode 28: The Doors of Pharros
Episode 29: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part One
Episode 30: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part Two
Episode 31: Brightstone Cove Tseldora, Part Three
Episode 32: A Few Loose Ends
Episode 33: The Gutter
Episode 34: Black Gulch
Episode 35: Shrine of Winter
Episode 36: Drangleic Castle, Part One
Episode 37: Drangleic Castle, Part Two
Episode 38: Drangleic Castle, Part Three
Episode 39: Shrine of Amana, Part One
Episode 40: Shrine of Amana, Part Two
Episode 41: Undead Crypt
Episode 42: Wandering Lost
Episode 43: Shulva, Sanctum City
Episode 44: Dragon's Sanctum, Part One
Episode 45: Dragon's Sanctum, Part Two
Episode 46: Dragon's Sanctum, Part Three
Episode 47: Dragon's Rest
Episode 48: Brume Tower, Part One
Episode 49: Brume Tower, Part Two
Episode 50: Brume Tower, Part Three
Episode 51: Brume Tower, Part Four
Episode 52: Pilgrim in the Dark
Episode 53: Eleum Loyce, Part One
Episode 54: Eleum Loyce, Part Two
Episode 55: Eleum Loyce, Part Three
Episode 56: Eleum Loyce, Part Four
Episode 57: Grand Cathedral and the Old Chaos
Episode 58: The Symbol of the King
Episode 59: Aldia's Keep
Episode 60: Dragon Aerie
Episode 61: Dragon Shrine
Episode 62: Ancient Memories
Episode 63: Sir Alonne and the Smelter Throne
Episode 64: The Ancient Dragon
Episode 65: King Vendrick and the Ancient Crowns
Final Episode: The Throne of Want

Tale of Samuelle, Dour Swordsman

The Last Giant, Pursuer, and Powerstancing
The Dragonrider, Flexile Sentry, and bell-ringing for the lazy

Lore Corner:

Episode 1: Dark Souls One and the First Flame

Miscellaneous Videos:

Lending a Helping Hand: Co-op and a bit of Blue Sentinel Sparring
A Modest Spattering of Blood: PvP with the Brotherhood of Blood
The Secret of Santier's Spear
Of Pigs and Pickaxes
Weapon Infusion
Dragon Remnant's Covenant
Royal Sorcerer Navlaan

Character Information:

Hal:
Starting Class: Deprived
Current Soul Level: 115
Current Soul Memory: like eleven billion
Current Area: Brume Tower
Specialty: Wearing masks and helmets

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

reserved for errata, bonus content, etc.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

There will be some parrying in the next update. Some of it even successful! It's always been a difficult mechanic, it doesn't help that the timing in 2 is significantly different from the timing in 1.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Can we not get into DS1 vs. DS2? We're not even off page one. Also, do you intend to stay in the Imported Set all game, and leave Hal's true form to the viewers' imaginations forevermore?

There are plenty of sets that will keep things open ended, so we'll definitely be changing our wardrobe from time to time. The imported set has grown on me a bit, though!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

This is what my dad used to call "a full, rich day."

quote:

I'm really enjoying your videos so far, and I have only one very important question:

When can we start shipping Hal and Goonther? TIA

If you GOTTA then I GUESS....

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Fists only weakness is their terrible range, as for benefits: they are blunt (the best damage type in this game) attack fast, good stamina consumption and hit hard when upgraded.

Edit: Dazz are you going to mind if I effort post about Stats, weapons, Bosses etc as they come up? I don't wanna fill up the thread with dry stuff like that if you'd rather not.

By all means, go ahead, just try not to talk too much about anything I haven't gotten to in video yet. All non-spoiler discussion is welcome, pretty much.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Kloro posted:

Aw yeah, looking forward to this. Just what I need to get me back into DS2 before Scholar of the First Sin releases.
Is the big patch on 5th February going to impact the LP, or is everything going to be recorded by then?

The calibrations patch coming up with the Agape Ring and changes to covenants shouldn't really mess with anything too bad. In fact, it will make showing off some content quite a bit easier!

Scholar of the Fist Sin proper, though, that might be a bit of a difficulty. Not sure how realistic it would be to get -everything- done before then, so we'll just have to play it by ear.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

Be wary of boulder.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Vicas posted:

I always feel like that boulder trap should be more... threatening than it actually is? It's really obvious and there's only a limited number, unlike Sen's in DS1

I feel like it serves its purpose pretty well. It's still in the "beginner area", so I think it's more about teaching the player that these traps exist and you need to pay attention when venturing into new areas. One time I got a steam message right as I was about to go into the cave and I spaced for a second and got flattened. The boulder definitely hurts like it should.

However, I must confess: I'm a little bit perplexed about how Cale got into that part of the cave in the first place. By my estimations he would have needed to either become paper thin to fit through the passage past the boulder, or clambered his way in from the ledge with the Amber Herbs on it. It is imperative that he find the proper place to do his daydreaming, I guess.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Exciting update, even!

Getting by with a little help from our friends (??)

Addendum: some bug or other has completely knocked me on my butt so until such time that I can comfortably use my vocal cords updates will slow down.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 26, 2015

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

For ranged characters, you can fairly safely stand a good distance away from the last giant and plink away... up until you see that arm come off. The arm does a hell of a lot of damage and it has quite frankly ridiculous lateral reach. It's honestly a really cool and memorable mechanic that teaches you early on that you need to stay on your toes and adapt your strategy if the situation changes. It also teaches you that the giants hate you so much.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Ok this cold/flu/curse from god seems to be on its way out so you can expect and update tomorrow or the day after at the latest.

(no guarantees that i won't sound like i'm talking through a molasses filter but i'm reasonably sure i can at least get through a commentary session)

WaltherFeng posted:

Feng is a pretty cool guy.

Oh, was that you? That reminds me, I'm going to start keeping a tally of my soul memory and relative progression location. I probably won't announce exactly when I'm playing so I don't drown in a sea of dark spirits, but absolutely feel free to try and suss me out and take my precious souls/take the boss's precious souls.

When I get to Belfry Luna/Sol I'll probably just make an announcement and stream it live. That should make for some fun video.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

Special delivery, please sign in blood.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Yes! The Red Eye Ring that Shalquoir sells will significantly increase how much enemies want you dead and also give you a cool red glow. It's not especially reliable but if you're beefy and planning on doing co-op it's a good thing to pick up.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Thank you for pointing that out, I legit still thought that fatrolling still decreased your iframes. I put in a quick annotation in the video so I do not mislead any further.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

Please keep an eye on your children.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

There's some speculation about the old dragonslayer serving as a gatekeeper to the Knights of Blue due to Ornstein's close proximity to the Darkmoon Covenant in Souls 1, which served largely the same purpose. It is, of course, just speculation, and the more likely answer is simply that Ornstein's inexplicable survival into the far flung future is simply a bit of fanservice. Might just be some rando wearing his armor for all I know, the original article used lightning magic and was a good deal stronger.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Wait, so what is the relationship between the plot and main characters of Dark Souls 1 and 2, if any? Besides being cursed undead I mean.

Ah, that would be telling, wouldn't it? Truth be told, the writers themselves seem to be a little unsure of these details and an uncharacteristically shoddy translation obfuscates the truth even more. Either way, we'll get to it later. A lot later. For now, the important thing to remember is that 2 takes place in the same world as 1, separated by centuries, or even millennia. If something doesn't make sense, you can probably explain it with "time and space are convoluted". It's a bit lazy but it's the only way to explain certain nonsensical events.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Bonus Update~

How might Hal have handled things under different circumstances? Expert Swordsman Samuelle looks at other ways to deal with bosses.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! A real one this time!

They have no style. They have no grace. These guys have a hole for a face.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

The thing I like about the dark dwellers is that they're not really terrifying adventurer killing monsters. They're territorial but they are so completely scared witless of light and fire they seem like an organic part of what might live in a dank underground bay. In a certain way, they're kind of endearing.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

There are actually instances of enemy infighting in the game, but only in very specific areas. It isn't a universal mechanic, most enemy attacks simply do nothing to other hostile entities. Which is kind of a shame, because there are definitely some points like No-Man's Wharf where it would really add to the experience.

It's pretty cool when it does happen, though!

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update!

The Life and Times of a Cupboard

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

The breathing is pretty much entirely because I'm still getting over this infernal cold. To the best of my knowledge I was already noise reducing all of it but I guess my nose is stuffier than I thought. I'll get on that.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Should be probably be noted that Varangians aren't fake Vikings, they're real Vikings who took a wrong turn somewhere. Guess you could call them lost Vikings.

edit: Also kinda disappointed you didn't mention the Flexile Sentry's arena gimmick, it's pretty drat cool if rather annoying.

That sounds like a mechanic Samuelle might tackle in the future.

The Flexile Sentry, I mean, I don't think he knows very much about transdimensional vikings.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Some miscellaneous explorations before we start exploring the Lost Bastille in its entirety.

Rats! Rats in the... well, rats in the everything.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I spent a bit more time in the grave than necessary because I wanted to get summoned for some rat king hijinks (including some off camera lingeringl, even) but I just couldn't get a bite that day. I'll put it on my bonus video to-do list, it's probably the most original new multiplayer mechanic in 2 and it deserves to be shown off.

The Royal Rat Vanguard is definitely a memorable fight because of how different it is, which makes the fact that it is completely and totally optional kind of a shame. On my first playthrough I never even found the Grave of Saints.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

For those who haven't really been keeping their finger on the pulse of Dark Souls lately (shame on you!), From released its latest calibrations patch for Dark Souls 2 today. There are some fairly significant changes that will be covered once I have them figured out. Other than that, the LP should continue more or less as scheduled and in the same way as before.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! (this was recorded before the Scholar of the First Sin patch hit, for the record)

They say that crows can remember human faces. As luck would have it, the Pursuer's not human and Hal always wears a mask.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Archenteron posted:

I thought the sentinels' weakness was the Dark Pine Resin, not the Lightning. Either way, good job on first-trying them. So close to the :kheldragar: Fun :kheldragar: now.

Elemental damage and resistances in Dark Souls 2 are a bit odd. Who is weak to what is usually fairly intuitive once you've got the basic idea down: Fire is strong against squishy gross things, Lightning is strong against heavily armored enemies and... certain other things, and there aren't very many enemies that are outright weak to Magic and Dark but not many resist them, either. If something resists both magic and dark damage there's a good chance that elemental damage in general is a no go and you should stick to purely physical attacks. Poison is a bit of an oddball. Nothing is really -weak- to poison type damage, poison vulnerability is determined pretty much entirely by a simple litmus test: can you poison this thing, or can't you. You can poison more things than not, which is nice, but there isn't really a good way to tell on a case by case basis except for experimentation (or looking it up). Most consistently, I've found that you can't poison squishy gross things like rats (or if you can, it takes quite a bit of buildup).

Bleed is kind of useless but on the bright side even things that really have no business bleeding are vulnerable to its effects.

Further: pine resin applies a fixed amount of elemental damage to a weapon for a short period of time. However, if a weapon has elemental damage on it to begin with (like the fire longsword, for instance), then that damage will scale with your character's statistics- some combination of Intelligence and Faith determines the scaling for each element, except for poison and bleed, which are governed by dexterity. Gone are the days where you could just slap a lightning enchantment on your Zweihander and kill everything, forever. Infusing elemental damage to a weapon can actually lower its effectiveness if you don't have the right stats to take advantage of it.

A video on statistics and scaling in detail is in the works, for what it's worth. There's a lot of questionably relevant fluff to sift through to figure out the game's numerical systems.

UNRELATED: I'm going to be streaming at around 6:00 PM PST tomorrow night as Hal journeys up Belfry Luna. If you want to try and join in on the mayhem, I'll post the link to the stream as well as relevant soul memory information. I'll probably stick around in the area for a while (maybe even by choice), so feel free to drop by.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Alright, I'm gearing up to stream soon, in about half an hour. Hal's current soul memory is 214131. I'll be in the Belfry Luna area. If you want to join in, you can either join the Bellringer's Covenant, bring some red eye orbs, or leave a summon sign somewhere.
Stream will be at http://www.hitbox.tv/Dazz so drop on by if you'd like. Playing on the PC version, for posterity.

Dazzling Addar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

A big thank you to everyone who showed up to watch and participate! I think we had a pretty good stream. I have it recorded, so I'll see what I can do to edit it to presentability and post it after the next update.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Later than I was hoping for, Youtube did not want to cooperate.

Did you know: the greatsword was not intended for the use of normal human beings.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

It's true. I think the reason my accuracy is so bad with the overhand slice is because I forget about that and start inputting movement commands before the animation finishes.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Because you asked for it!

The results of friday's stream, in all of its unedited, unprofessional glory. Cliffnotes version: we beat up some gargoyles and got a key and got into a lot of fights.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, that's something unfortunate that happened while streaming, it screwed with my audio levels unexpectedly. I'm considering going and adding some captions for when I'm fighting the gargoyles. Every stream is a learning experience, so now I know to turn the game down the next time I'm live.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

You're still splitting that up into regular videos, right?

I was thinking about maybe making a Highlights version later, but everyone was I talked to was keen on seeing the whole thing so I posted that first. I'll go ahead and start working on an edited version that's just Actual Progress (however little of it was made in that hour).

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I can't say for absolute certain, but my experiences with the bellringer covenant, as well as a lot of other people's since the patch, indicates that titanite chunks are still far and away the most common drop. The major change is that hosts get goodies now too.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Update! Back to business. Let's actually accomplish something this time.

On the value of twigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I would agree that one of Dark Souls 2's weaknesses is that it sacrifices quality for quantity in terms of boss design. I like the Lost Sinner's design a lot, but it would be stronger if there weren't quite so many other Oversized People with Large Sticks, especially in the first leg of the game. The next portion of the game has some fairly strong boss design, though, so it's not all bad.

• Locked thread