Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I probably played DS1 more than any other game I've ever played but for the life of me I just could not get into DS2 the same way. I can't even put my finger on why but it never grabbed me. That being said I will watch your LP and enjoy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nice custom title bro

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Can we not get into DS1 vs. DS2?

Jesus christ yes, my post in this thread wasn't even about one being "better" but Geno decided to creep up in my post history for something I'd completely forgotten. I only mentioned it to frame how excited I am for a quality LP of Dark Souls 2.

e: i am so sorry everyone :smith:

Chard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kloro posted:

Great video, but I have to disagree with you on the gargoyles. I utterly loved that fight my first time through, as it came as such a surprise - especially when the third gargoyle joined the battle. I was literally yelling in delight, and managing to beat it the first time through just added to my enjoyment.

:hfive: Same here; the initial reaction of "oh this again" was just the perfect setup for the gargolye-gangbang of a punchline (beat them first time as well :smug:) Incredibly tense and enjoyable fight.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^ best helm.

:stare: That was a ridiculously close finish on the Lost Sinner.

As far as the Sinner's Rise bonfire bullshit goes, I always thought it was meant to teach you that enemies eventually despawn if you kill them enough, in case you hadn't been reading guides and/or had rushed through areas prior. Like you said it's the one area in the Souls games that does that.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kloro posted:

There is an alternate method to kill the Chariot, by the way - hang out in an alcove and blast him with spells as he goes past. The fights ends...a bit differently. Won't spoil it in case you're going to show it off.

I never even thought to try this, I'd like to see what happens.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dazzling Addar you are updating this LP faster than I played through this game. That is not meant as a complaint in any way, I'm just kind of in awe of your work ethic.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

omeg posted:

You haven't said something more stupid in a while. Removing the poison is probably the single most obtuse and illogical thing you do in this game.

Yeah it took many tries beating my head against that boss before I found a phantom who led me there with their own torch. I don't think I'd have ever figured it out on my own.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I stopped playing DS2 before any of the DLC came out, I'm excited to see Hal go wreck poo poo in new zones.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

People seem to generally accept that the size of a dude is more representative of their power than their actual physical size. Or something.

The clearest example is probably when Smough/Ornstein absorbs their buddy's soul and they huge out.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

One thing I've never understood is how individual Humans become Undead. It's always sort of skirted around, like maybe everybody is going to eventually become undead because it's innate to our race, or maybe it's a disease that gets spread, or something in between? Many NPCs make mention of "becoming Undead." It seems like a crucial point but after playing all three Souls games I still don't feel like it's ever been addressed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^e: fuuuuuuck me :smith:

I guess if we assume the inevitable progression is human > undead > hollow for everyone, then it makes sense that areas become uninhabitable over time. From the "first times" when Humanity was strongest, the Undead Curse will slowly expand as people die and become undead - basically becoming the player character, seeking to restore their humanity at any cost. The weakest are killed over and over while all those afflicted are walled away, in the Asylum or the Bastille, but every living Human who dies strengthens the forces of Dark. They ran out of space to put the 'trash'.

All the same, I don't think of the Dark as evil, which is a point I feel the games try to make. It's just the antithesis of Light, which has been shown to be life-giving, but also genocidal (Gwyn) and ultimately empty (Vendrick). It's Newton's first and third laws: the Ancient was disrupted by Fire, leading to Light and Dark in endless (and equal) opposition.

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Killing someone to death is a perfectly cromulent phrasing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The problem with Sinh is I can break three spears on him and he still has half a health bar. Kalameet was my favorite DS1 boss but this is bulllllshiiiittttt

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

I never had any trouble with breaking weapons during the Sinh fight myself. I never had much trouble with Sinh period honestly. It's one of the better fights and I'm so glad it's not Yet Another Big Dude with a Big Weapon (tm).

I'm also curious how people manage to break their stuff so quickly sometimes. And yes, I'm aware of the durability bug feature. I just never had much trouble with it, even when using weapons that stay in contact with corpses for longer. It is a noticeable difference for sure, though.

For me it was purely down to over-reliance on the (useless) NPC summons, thus turning Sinh into a flying ball of corrosive hit points. Once I sucked it up and went at him solo I won first try and didn't break a weapon :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Private.

:f5:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there really no way to get Hidden Weapon except bellbroing? I just got the 100% hex achievement and this character is poised to get 100% sorceries as well but ugggghhh grinding invasions at this SM

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

You absolutely have to Bellbro to get Hidden Weapon, though you can always just farm the Mad Warrior for an easier time of it. You also have to be a Sunbro for a while to get their miracle, because Sunlight Spear can't be bought from Chancellor Wellager. But fortunately, there are also some enemies that drop Sunlight Medals.

Dark Souls 1&2 are pretty good about making sure there are alternate sources of covenant currencies.

Bleh. Fortunately I have a different character all sunbro-ed up already so I can get the miracle achievement with them. Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next week while I watch stuff on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

KieranWalker posted:

I never did actually defeat Sir Alonne. Fought him ...three times, I think, and I got sick of the timed runback, so I just gave up on it.

Shame they put one of the more interesting fights behind a situational thing like the Ashen Mist. Really makes it a chore to actually face him.

Same here. The DLC gauntlets are all trash, but at least this one has a nifty boss at the end of it.

• Locked thread