Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
He does take more damage from maces and blunt weapons, actually. But yeah, that guy is one of the first things in dark souls that you really have to start learning. Your first time though, he's gonna be a bitch and a half. You'll die a lot fighting him. Eventually, you start learning his patterns, attacks and such, and he becomes much easier, but if he catches you off guard, you're probably dead. it doesn't help that at this point in the game you have such little to heal with that you're allowed even less leeway in terms of mistakes.

Though, he's incredibly fun to punch. Most of the game is more fun to punch through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Dual Cestus is an incredibly amazing setup actually, after being utter poo poo in the previous game. Punch Souls II is a very fun game, and the Warrior (the "sword and board" start that isn't in flowing red garments) has enough STR and DEX to power stance from the word go.

Yeah, I can remember a few stinkers from DS1. People will find a way to be horrible no matter the game.
I usually go explorer and just build up to the stats I need. I prefer the 12 adaptability they start with over pretty much everything else. I just use the dagger until I can start punching. Which is usually around the first boss.

heenato fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 25, 2015

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

And a fat load of souls for this early stage of the game, good for like 10-15 levels.

You'd use fists that early? I dunno, seems like you'd be punching above your weight there.
Nah. It's actually very late in the game where you don't want to be using fists. Early on they are exceptional. Plus, I believe they count as blunt weapons.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Stormgale posted:

It'll come up more when we fight him but the pursuer is more an attempt to incentivise working together with other players than a specific roadblock
he does it terribly though, since playing with other people in that fight is a guaranteed death sentence.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

I feel like it serves its purpose pretty well. It's still in the "beginner area", so I think it's more about teaching the player that these traps exist and you need to pay attention when venturing into new areas. One time I got a steam message right as I was about to go into the cave and I spaced for a second and got flattened. The boulder definitely hurts like it should.

However, I must confess: I'm a little bit perplexed about how Cale got into that part of the cave in the first place. By my estimations he would have needed to either become paper thin to fit through the passage past the boulder, or clambered his way in from the ledge with the Amber Herbs on it. It is imperative that he find the proper place to do his daydreaming, I guess.
Personally, I figured that Cale set up the rock himself to prevent being disturbed while digging in the dirt, and then in his absent mind forgot that he had.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Powerstancing is what makes fists good in Dark souls 2. Well, that and proper scaling, but it really is the powerstancing. The powerstanced L1 is really good at breaking poise and doing a boatload of damage with the caestus. Plus it's fast enough that the recovery time is not massively long. The L2 certainly is, but that one's for style points.

I mostly find the ballistae to be a death trap, really. I don't like parrying in DS2, so I never do it, and usually in co-op I'm almost guaranteed to get shot by it and murdered because I'm actually trying to fight the boss.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Oh phew. I was afraid they would have done some kinda bullshit like going "Okay. One of the items in the pool for the tower covenant is...rubbish or a smooth and silky stone" like they did with the forest in DS1, but if the pool is just chunks, Twinkling, and Dragon bones then I'm okay with it. Slightly annoying that it's not as consistent a way to get titanite chunks, but if the alternatives are an easier way to get twinkling and dragon bones, then Hot drat, sign me up.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

This plus Rusted Coins being absurdly good now means they've fixed a lot of the major problems I've had with the game. If they actually straight up get rid of SM in the Scholar of the First Sin versions, I'll be a super happy campy (several months down the line after I'm finished with Bloodborne).
Oh? They made rusted coins better? I assume it changed the increase in drop rate. So what is it now?

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Oh! That's what that orange border is! It's telling me "Hey, there be Multiplayer here"

Because of this thread I started a new run. I'm still doing my current punchman run, and I'm currently stuck trying to do Sunken king and Ivory king DLC, so I needed something else to do. Decided to go with a zappy mage. Forgot how fun zapping things could be.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Well that explains why enemies are doing so much damage to punchman now. That...loving blows, and I hope it's a bug that gets fixed.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

ivantod posted:

As far as I am aware (not tested personally though), Agape ring is actually only usable in multiplayer, so basically people who like to play as white phantoms can go on co-oping as long as they want without eventually screwing up their Soul Memory. All patch notes so far seem to indicate that this ring does nothing when not playing as a phantom. But it would be nice if somebody could confirm this.
You gain no souls period when wearing the ring. Phantom or human.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah. It's great. I mean, it does mean that there's a slightly better chance of getting griefed, since today in the bastile I got invaded by someone who had items from much further on in the game. Not armor, but weapons and such, but it's never going to be as bad as DS1's "You're fighting a man who has the shotgun magic spell and maxed out everything, but he kept his level low to gently caress with you"

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Spawn camping and punching. As usual, there is very little in dark souls 2 that cannot be solved by copious amounts of punch.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Don't worry. The Chariot is one of my worst bosses as well. Mostly becuase I renounce all shields in every playthrough, but still. I'm not a fan of the puzzle aspect of the boss. The actual boss is okay, but eeeh. The dragon god is the only puzzle boss that has worked in a souls game, and I really hope they stop doing them completely.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I'm just catching up on the videos now, but I really do enjoy the covetous demon. It's probably tied with the dragonrider in difficulty simply because of the hitboxes, which make it a BIT challenging sometimes.

My absolute favorite thing is that he will just straight up eat you if he gets the chance. It's not an instant kill, nor does it really do much damage but it does automatically unequip everything you have on you. now, on a magic or dex build, this is actually a bad thing, and it can make the boss kinda challenging as you scamble around trying to dodge him while in a menu to re-equip your weapons.

I actually feel sorry for the thing, and usually let him get a taste.

heenato fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 17, 2015

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

Alright, here's the latest soul memory information. 718256 soul memory, we'll be hanging around belfry sol in iron keep at around... 3 PM pst tomorrow? Time is sort of up in the air.
Man...I'm at like half that at Belfry sol. Gonna have to do some hardcore grinding if I want to get in on time.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

Yeah it's very possible to get through the game much more quickly and without nearly as many souls as Hal has. I intentionally go at a pretty sedate pace and do some areas more than once due to deaths but you can absolutely motor through the game if you know what you're doing. If you're super intent on making it in time for the stream, my recommendation would be using a bonfire ascetic on the bonfire right before a Great Soul boss. Maybe not the lost Sinner, for Reasons.

Bah. I was going to just ascetic Earthen peak and fight Myrna again, but I asceticed the wrong drat bonfire, and only had one. So now I'm just bellbroing for souls. I'm still 200K low though, so that's not gonna happen. Though it MIGHT be possible due to the ranges being different for bellkeepers.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Of course, DS2 has both, with the "Hit the wall to open it" being for pharos stones. so it's even more confusing. Though, once you know the difference, you probably won't forget.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I disagree with all the DLC being well designed areas. There's one I think is just bad and badly designed. But we'll get to that when we get to the DLC.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Oh man. I remember when the game first came out and that coffin didn't even have the "The nature of your being has changed" message and everyone thought the effect was some sort of glitch, and they were freaking out.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Those ogres are easily exploited with range if you want to cheese it. If you run across the tree branch, they give up and go home. Or just run into the cave you came from.

If you're only fighting one, the best thing to do is get behind them, since they've only got one attack there with a really easy tell and a pretty long recovery time, so you can just kinda wreck them that way.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Hi. I was LaFey. I'm usually much more cautious than just normally playing when in PVP. I cant help it. I'm bad at games.

Funny thing to note is that when I backstabbed you it did 666 damage.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Nah. It's just something I didn't really notice myself doing before, and noticing and trying not to do that will probably make me a bit better at PvP!

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

A typical escapade posted:

I was Great Tiger. That Immolation death was great! Having, like, 300 defense and no poise was not so great, as LaFey showed me.
Defense probably wouldn't have helped too much, since I was using a magic mace. I always completely forget about poise when I'm setting up my armor though. Don't know why. I just...do.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Urgh. This next stretch of the game is hands down my least favorite part of Dark souls 2. I just dislike everything in the next few areas.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Question about infusion. If you infuse a weapon that already deals elemental damage with the same element, like infusing Heide Knight's Sword with Lightning, does it do more damage than if you infused a similar sword without the preexisting element? Is this even a thing you can do?
Usually if a weapon has a base infusion, it cant be infused further. I think there are some exceptions, but that's the general rule.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

It's not that the rat king covenant makes the durability go down faster, it's that joining the covenant allows you to use one of the best ways to break it.

What you do is join the covenant, and then spend a few minutes wailing on the mastadon knights. You cant hurt them, but it still takes up durability. And because you're passing through them so much because they're big, you lose a lot of durability that way on PC. It's certainly more reliable than hollow rodeo.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Or you shouldn't because it is ACTUALLY the most obtuse and stupid thing in the game.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why you think it's stupid. It's a cool little hidden thing.
simply put, I don't think it's worth bothering over. I mean, it's kinda a neat little thing, but it ends up being really pointless for the effort.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Today I learned something about myself. I should not be given access to soul vessels or I will completely gently caress up my own build like a moron. to do some dumb gimmick with a bad weapon. It's gonna take me a bit of time to catch back up with the LP now.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, the DS1 port is pretty goddamn bad. You're lucky that they've finally removed GFWL from it, at least.

It's kinda impressive the job done on DS2 though, since it is just flat out better than the console versions were.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

just put Smough there. make it a double "WHY ARE YOU HERE?!"

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Urgh. I'm trying to catch up with the LP in my own game, and I always forget how much I loving HATE the undead crypt. I think it's easily one of the worst areas in the game. It's pretty much a testament to the fact that Dark souls should NOT focus on multiple enemies.

Also Vestaldt is one of my worst bosses. I don't know why, but I'm just REALLY bad at dodging him.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

He is actually not at all impossible to block. You just need a HUGE shield. My preferred way of playing! I actually really love how DSII made shields worse, especially how punishing running out of Stamina is. You need to play really smart now instead of just keeping them up all the time, and learn really well which attacks you can block and which you should definitely not, it's a complicated game of Stamina management and especially positioning, I really like doing that dance.

Also, with that you are practically immune to fucky hitboxes, as you'll just block phantom dodgy swings.

Oh, and I always love arriving at the crypt, I think it's such a breath of fresh air after Amana :shobon:.
I reject shields in dark souls 2. I have used a shield in two playthroughs in my entire career, and one was a gimmick run.

I think the problem I have with Velstadt is I'm usually using a big slab of metal to kill him, and this time I'm some kinda zappy wizard. Velstadt is usually where a fist run ends for me, because his hitbox is super hosed for punching.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm doing a Fist run right now and Velstadt is super easy, he stands crooked and the best way to hit him is his kneecaps or the sides of his legs, don't try hitting from behind due to his hitbox being odd due to how he stands.
Yeah. usually my trouble with punching him is the fact that I'm mostly trained to lock onto him. when doing that, you're going to whiff heavily.

Incidentally, I just did NOT have the skills to do the that later boss with fists. I switched to an actual weapon and then just wrecked him after like 50 tries with fists.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Isnt the bellbros a semi-valid option post-patch or is that still mostly Chunk city?
It's like 90% chunks with the occasional rare drop for a twinkly or a bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

Archenteron posted:

So a portal to Hell(Chaos is fire and demons in Dark Souls 1 so p much this) opens up, the Ivory King rolls in, beats up anything that came out, sets up a castle to guard it, lives there while occasionally punching demons, and when he got old, grabbed a posse, jumped in to beat up everything still in hell, and told his Queen to freeze everything over if he didn't come back?

Yeah, I'd vote for that guy in the King Elections.
There's something you learn later that makes him even MORE amazing. The Ivory King is just so great. It's amazing what happens when you see someone who is...well, basically player character levels of competency. And that's the Ivory king here.

• Locked thread