Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
One thing I really like about Dark Souls II is how it's really open at the start so that experienced players can go places they want to really quickly to get equipment they want. Clerics have maces by default and Heide's Tower of Flame has some great faith-oriented stuff there, so if you're the sort to pick a cleric because you want a build that caters to its strengths you can get stuff fairly easily and have an easier time going there first than most other starting builds (while having maybe a harder time in Forest of Fallen Giants due to a lack of a shield or ranged options). At the same time you also get good staple items in both locations so you get rewarded for really exploring without getting gimped for choosing one area over another if you're new; not to mention that Heide's has fairly few enemies so if you keep a good head you can do well in opposition to the hordes in the Forest. They did a good job with the whole "this area is tough, I'll try it later" thing and I'm glad of it.

e: I liked Dragonrider a whole lot more when I realized that he is a very possible first boss.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The binoculars are really good for pure spell builds (something which I love you can do in this game, even if hexes could charitably be called overpowering) because you can use them to aim spells.

I really like this LP by the way. Souls games can bring out a lot of vitriol in some people (especially when comparisons arise :can: ) so a nice chill, comprehensive playthrough is really great.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I do like Royal Rat Vanguard quite a bit, because I consider it one of the freakiest fights in the series. Big rear end demons are cool but sort of abstract (although body horror dudes like Ceaseless Discharge I can get behind), but a swarm of loving giant rats in a claustrophobic area is magnificently primal in the best possible way; you can feel your inner caveman going "oh gently caress no, nope" and it's wonderful.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The descriptions for the resins spell out what they're good against too, which is very thoughtful of From, really.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
On the other hand one of the grey spirits was Thrillho, and that made me smile once I figured it out.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I thought our new pyromancy friend sounded familiar, and I looked her up and turns out she is in fact Fiora from Xenoblade (Carina Reeves, if you want to look it up yourself). This is pretty neat I think, especially since the outfit selection in that game is even more wild (there is sadly no samurai helmet/dinosaur feet/ demon face gauntlet/scale chestpiece costume in Dark Souls II).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 10, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Did they patch it so that he takes less damage from the portcullis? I haven't played this game since pre-dlc (my brother took the PS3 to college) and I swear that before the crash took off the majority of his health.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, this is kind of unrelated but the DK64 video where you go through the Isles isn't on your Youtube channel and Blip took down all your videos. I've been rewatching that LP and I think that's the only video that isn't on your channel, would you mind reuploading it?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I love thrusting swords, Ricard's Rapier and I were best buds during my dexterity run of this game. That thing can murder dudes in a hurry, I should try him out in 1. :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, that boss is a huge pain and took me forever.

Here he is beaten at SL1 :v: (Previous episode is a name spoiler for a boss we haven't seen yet, though there's no thumbnail showing him).

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, I lucked into finding a really nice route the first time I played the game, but after the boss I went exploring and subsequently got wrecked for a good 40 minutes. It doesn't help that the good route involves straight up passing over a bonfire.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, that was a weakness of my dex run: I sort of had to have two or three weapons to make it possible. It was kind of tough early on before I got both Ricard's Rapier and a Blacksteel Katana.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I know that it's a legitimate complaint that the Iron Keep doesn't really feel like a place where someone would live, but I do like how in universe the old iron king was just a crazy fucker and would just through around massive structures just because he could. Not sure if that was intentional but it does add a lot to the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

JT Jag posted:

"I SEE YOU'VE TAKEN A LIKIN' TO THE SWORD. WELL, I APPLAUD YOU, FOR YOU'VE A SHARP EYE."
"..."
"BUT THIS IS ONE SWORD PAL THAT I WILL NAE BE GIVING UP."
"..."
"IF YOU STILL INSIST IN HAVING IT... THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY COLD HANDS! GAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!"
"..."
(Ancient Dragon received Bluemoon Greatsword)
"..."

He gave you the cheap knockoff, he has the authentic fake moonlight greatsword (which has way better stats, if only you knew).

• Locked thread