Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

xoFcitcrA posted:

Hmm....

?

Maybe this really is a D sequel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is a story about one man's search for the D.

Please, give this man the D.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
We went one whole page without someone making a "he wants the D" style joke. Good job, everybody.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's best to get it out of the way, like tearing off a bandage.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Don't doubt this dauntless deed did deserve a diatribe.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
yay an SGF LP! :sparkles:

I hope they make enough episodes to at least finish the story., if only for SWERY's sake. I like his quirky stories and the little things like the fortunes and pushing random objects.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I predict that, as with Deadly Premonition, D4's central mystery will be more straightforward and less interesting than its secondary plots and background weirdness.

I'm already wondering about the thematic significance of the colors white and red in Peggy's life. There was the white owl and the white cat (no sign of a pea-green boat so far). Peggy wears white, her name is derivative of "daisy" and "pearl," and of course she is very white post-exsanguination. But she refuses the clear/white tequila in favor of red cranberry juice, she chews the same strawberry-flavored gum as David (or, more likely, he chews it because she used to), and someone already pointed out the bag of red seeds in the bathtub. Maybe it's just leftover scenery from DP, but I'm hoping it points toward something more complex.

Also, Peggy was very pregnant in the scene with the cartoon, but her case file doesn't seem to mention that and there isn't any sign of a child anywhere. So what happened there?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

I predict that, as with Deadly Premonition, D4's central mystery will be more straightforward and less interesting than its secondary plots and background weirdness.

Wait, you found Deadly Premonition's main story straightforward?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It's fairly straightforward, besides the very last chapter which still manages to fulfill the function of explaining all the remaining mysteries in the game.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man, the first video already makes me wish this wasn't an XBone exclusive, because I don't have one but I suddenly had a very strong need for this game.

Those goddamn fortune cookie expressions :allears:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The question is "Who killed Ana Graham?" The answer is "the character to whom most of the clues point, who is hostile to the detective and tries to obstruct the investigation." A lot of us in the thread thought that this character couldn't be the perpetrator because it was too obvious. Meanwhile, the charmingly offbeat, memorable things from the game are almost completely disconnected from the central murder mystery.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Half the time I hate this game's graphical style, the other half it looks amazing. I don't really understand why I feel this way.

I'll second this opinion. I don't know why but sometimes it feels weird and not so good, the other times (fortune cookie faces) it's the best thing.

So! Speculation. Obvious one is that it really is D for Dracula since the body was drained of blood. But that's a bit silly. One thing that my mind immediately went to was "Well poo poo man, David starts with "D"." Especially since no evidence of a third party, maybe he was drugged at some point and it messed with his head? If this game is gonna have some supernatural dabblings, it doesn't seem unreasonable that Real Blood might be able to let the bad guy(s) control him or something.

Also is it just me or is Dominic kind of a weird name for a woman librarian? And.. on closer inspection of the suspects, all of them appear to have their names start with "D". Also, top right, DTMAH Justice Chocolate. I don't know why that's there but it cracks me up.

And as for the red/white color themeing, don't forget that Amanda had a big red bow on her back too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

The question is "Who killed Ana Graham?" The answer is "the character to whom most of the clues point, who is hostile to the detective and tries to obstruct the investigation." A lot of us in the thread thought that this character couldn't be the perpetrator because it was too obvious. Meanwhile, the charmingly offbeat, memorable things from the game are almost completely disconnected from the central murder mystery.

Okay, I was thinking of "central mystery" as "what's the deal with this town and how did that lead to Ana Graham's death" since that's what the player is trying to figure out. I admit that this was dumb of me to assume :downs:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know it probably wasn't the intent but I can't help seeing the multi word arrangements like this as being some kind of riff on the doge meme. "Wow very murder. Much sad. So revenge"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Wow, first part and already we have references/similarities with Memento (favorite movie) and ofcourse Deadly Premonition. There are also possibly some influences from Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy)'s early parts. I am hooked.

The interface looks super restrictive though. Maybe because they wanted to utilize Kinect for every single action (?). It looks like they could at least allow free movement and free looking around, instead of walking into "nodes" and only turning in specific angles.

In any case, I'd still probably instant-buy D4 the minute it came out for the PC. I don't have an Xbox One and I am not really interested in the rest of its exclusives (nor can justify the budget to get one).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Shoeless posted:

Also is it just me or is Dominic kind of a weird name for a woman librarian? And.. on closer inspection of the suspects, all of them appear to have their names start with "D". Also, top right, DTMAH Justice Chocolate. I don't know why that's there but it cracks me up.

Well, I was recently speaking to a guy called Lindsay, so I guess anything can go.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Shoeless posted:

Also is it just me or is Dominic kind of a weird name for a woman librarian?

I'm pretty sure it's just the brand name of the shoe.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Hopkins FBI posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the brand name of the shoe.

I don't think so, in the book of 'Suspects' the lady's face had the name written underneith and it was Dominic. Which makes sense, since he's looking for 'D's and not people who wear brands of shoes beginning with D. Although that would be an... interesting twist.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grilox posted:

After watching the video I'm speculating:

I'm thinking it wasn't "Look for D" but instead "Look 40" though I don't know what that would mean.

It is entirely possible I read/watch too many murder mysteries though :v:

On that same note

i was thinking it was "Look Forward"

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

"Life is Beautiful" is still my ringtone back from the Deadly Premonition LP, looking forward to this one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lid posted:

On that same note

i was thinking it was "Look Forward"
For a man whose life has become a single-minded obsession with the past, it would be amazingly tragic if it was all a result of a misinterpretation of his wife's dying words to look forward. And thus, this is my favored theory now as well.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I love characterizing the apartment is: it's good to see that David has all the hobbies and weird interests that York had. The episode was basically 30 minutes of following a traumatized widower as he puts on his records, eats supermarket food, and reads his paranormal magazines. And somehow it's amazing to watch.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Scaramouche posted:

I know it probably wasn't the intent but I can't help seeing the multi word arrangements like this as being some kind of riff on the doge meme. "Wow very murder. Much sad. So revenge"

Oh good, I wasn't the only one.

Bendigeidfran posted:

I love characterizing the apartment is: it's good to see that David has all the hobbies and weird interests that York had. The episode was basically 30 minutes of following a traumatized widower as he puts on his records, eats supermarket food, and reads his paranormal magazines. And somehow it's amazing to watch.

Expired supermarket food, from the looks of things. Which makes it even more entertaining.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So do they actually make canned crab that is still in the shell? I figure they don't but ever since I saw a cheeseburger in a can I've never been able to judge canned food the same way.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So do they actually make canned crab that is still in the shell? I figure they don't but ever since I saw a cheeseburger in a can I've never been able to judge canned food the same way.

It kind of looked like they'd just jammed a whole crab in there and the legs were sticking out.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

malkav11 posted:

It kind of looked like they'd just jammed a whole crab in there and the legs were sticking out.

I found a tin of whole chicks in a friend's cupboard, once. Beaks, feet, feathers, everything. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Also, if David's memories of Little Peggy (very odd nickname, that) are anything to go by, the woman was constantly whacked out of her gourd on heroin.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Ghostwoods posted:

Little Peggy (very odd nickname, that)

This Little Peggy went to market.
This Little Peggy stayed home (and was murdered in her bathtub).

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

Scaramouche posted:

You and me both.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I think they lifted those facial expressions directly from The Sims.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ghostwoods posted:

Little Peggy (very odd nickname, that)

She was knocked off by her rival, Little Debbie.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

"Little Peggy" might be a translation of "Peggy-chan"?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So is it just me, or was Peggy pregnant during some of the flashbacks? Specifically the one with the cat and the one with the tequila.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

"Little Peggy" might be a translation of "Peggy-chan"?

Actually, I've been wondering if D4's script was made the same way as Deadly Premonition, where the script was written for American voice actors, not Japanese ones. The game feels like a goofy, well-researched Japanese take on Americana, much like Deadly Premonition. That could be a good translation at work though.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bendigeidfran posted:

D4's opening segment dunks all over Heavy Rain's opening segment, imo. It's like what, 1/4th the size of Ethan's Ikea catalog house, but has more than twice the amount of stuff to look at, and it all contributes to the apartment's/David's personality.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Tupperwarez posted:

D4's opening segment dunks all over Heavy Rain's opening segment, imo. It's like what, 1/4th the size of Ethan's Ikea catalog house, but has more than twice the amount of stuff to look at, and it all contributes to the apartment's/David's personality.

A lot of this is because David has personality to show the player, even down to him chewing bubble gum like his wife did even though it's one of his "dislikes". It also helps that we started after the murder happened so David has an established goal even while you tool around his place (which is totally optional).

Meanwhile, Heavy Rain's opening segment was just "Look how happy this happy family is in their house full of happy happiness!" while you're forced to sit through a lackluster birthday party then go to the mall. The whole time, Ethan is as interesting as a plank of wood with such notable traits as, uh, I guess he's pretty strong because he hugged his son to death while getting hit by a car?

I don't know if I need to spoiler warning that since it's right at the beginning of the game, but better safe than sorry.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 25, 2015

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Ah, you spoil us with your guidance through another weird world of Swery, SGF.

Also, for those hoping to look for D themselves, apparently Swery claimed that a PS4 port was out of the question but a PC release was a "maybe". It's enough to give me some hope for the future.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Holy poo poo, that "Boston" accent.

edit: Also, your Peggy voice sounds an awful lot like David Sedaris, and I can't get that mental image out of my head. It is an amazing mental image.

Steak Flavored Gum fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 25, 2015

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Wordnumber posted:

One of my favorite things about D4 is it's visual style. A lot of the textures look like they were painted with watercolor, for example. My favorite effect is the way translucence is shown, most noticeable when David is looking at the tequila bottle:

D4's graphics always stood out to me because Deadly Premonition looks so primitive and even Spy Fiction looks pretty bland. D4 isn't really the best looking game but the stylized graphics are a big improvement from Swery's previous work. I imagine a lot of it has to do with Microsoft's involvement.
There's that, but there's also the incredibly jarring shoulders clipping into his armspits.

Going to chime in as another person looking forward to this LP. I probably wouldn't buy the game myself (even if I had the console), but charm loving radiates out of it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Viola the Mad posted:

Actually, I've been wondering if D4's script was made the same way as Deadly Premonition, where the script was written for American voice actors, not Japanese ones. The game feels like a goofy, well-researched Japanese take on Americana, much like Deadly Premonition. That could be a good translation at work though.

The Japanese game is voiced in English with subtitles, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I spoiled myself a little by watching a subpar 'superbestfriends' video of this, the wait was just too much. I'm sorry :unsmith:
Can't wait for part #2.

• Locked thread