Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

The weird thing was there were some genuinely entertaining moments, but with all things with the NHL it looks like it was thrown together at the last minute by someone who has never run anything like it before. Were the emcees even prepped on what was going to happen at the end there?

there were some pretty funny moments but mostly in spite of the production

kessel-for-seguin was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Aphrodite posted:

It's the NHL Network, they literally have nothing else to air.

NBCSP not NHL Net (I mean, I'm sure it was simul-cast)

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Aphrodite posted:

It's the NHL Network, they literally have nothing else to air.

How many times did she call that Honda "sparkling"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

NBCSP not NHL Net (I mean, I'm sure it was simul-cast)

Oh. Well, same deal.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

The weird thing was there were some genuinely entertaining moments, but with all things with the NHL it looks like it was thrown together at the last minute by someone who has never run anything like it before. Were the emcees even prepped on what was going to happen at the end there?

They probably had the show producer and director yelling in their IFB to move some cars and wrap poo poo up despite any spontaneous, possibly fun thing that might be happening on stage. They are no-joke, super tone deaf at these things.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
should have music for all the player picks next year

they better play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSRbeYswGQ at some point :mad:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

These dumbasses. It's Alternate captain, not Assistant.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Yeah that better be somebody's av soon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

They probably had the show producer and director yelling in their IFB to move some cars and wrap poo poo up despite any spontaneous, possibly fun thing that might be happening on stage. They are no-joke, super tone deaf at these things.

I work in events so I understand how these things work from a back of house perspective and how ad libbed a lot of stuff has to be. Still, it was just incredibly sloppily produced. They let RNH wander off stage then had to call him back when it was revealed they were both getting cars. I genuinely feel that someone neglected to mention to the emcees how that was going to end. It takes 30 seconds to tell them before it all starts "we're doing a fan vote for the final pick, so play that up and try and build silly fake tension before the cut to commercials. Afterwards keep them talking as they'll both be getting cars and we want to surprise them with them." That should've been the big fun finale/sign off and they totally flubbed it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah that better be somebody's av soon.

If you go through that persons timeline they appear to have gotten a good portion of Ovie's moments tonight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

I work in events so I understand how these things work from a back of house perspective and how ad libbed a lot of stuff has to be. Still, it was just incredibly sloppily produced. They let RNH wander off stage then had to call him back when it was revealed they were both getting cars. I genuinely feel that someone neglected to mention to the emcees how that was going to end. It takes 30 seconds to tell them before it all starts "we're doing a fan vote for the final pick, so play that up and try and build silly fake tension before the cut to commercials. Afterwards keep them talking as they'll both be getting cars and we want to surprise them with them." That should've been the big fun finale/sign off and they totally flubbed it.

It was even better than that.

Even though everyone in the audience figured out the 'twist', the host still let it drop with "Ovechkin missed out on 2 cars" without properly announcing anything. Honda's not going to be happy with that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://vine.co/v/OI0DwW2ad1J

Phil no.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ovie looked like he couldn't tell if he wanted to puke on or punch Pierre.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Hypnotic.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

Same here prod-buddy :hfive: been producing radio and tv schlock for 17 years now and that's probably why I'm getting all :argh: with seeing NBCSP/NHL Networks production values. They always seem to be one step behind what is happening on camera and completely tone deaf. The worst part is seeing what it COULD be yet they continually drop the ball when it comes to showcasing or selling their sport.

eh what can ya do. :shrug:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is the netting neon green? Looks strange on NHL network

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
Team Toews has Forsberg, Weber, and the Preds coaches. I guess I'm for them.

Cool that Filip got a car. His life is pretty good this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Even though everyone in the audience figured out the 'twist', the host still let it drop with "Ovechkin missed out on 2 cars" without properly announcing anything. Honda's not going to be happy with that.

Haha I missed that. My first thoughts were "Honda are going to be yelling at someone tomorrow."

Duke Chin posted:

I do mostly live stuff so my mistakes aren't immortalized on film, but man I hope I never run something that disastrous. I realize there are lots of moving parts and 95% of the people on that stage aren't actors and didn't have any idea what was going on, but yikes lotsa mistakes.

It was entertaining though. I just wish my favourite sport didn't come up with a televison product that looks like it was run by the Adirondack Community Player Society.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Duke Chin posted:

Same here prod-buddy :hfive: been producing radio and tv schlock for 17 years now and that's probably why I'm getting all :argh: with seeing NBCSP/NHL Networks production values. They always seem to be one step behind what is happening on camera and completely tone deaf. The worst part is seeing what it COULD be yet they continually drop the ball when it comes to showcasing or selling their sport.

I mean no one watches the all star game to get interested in hockey. They don't really have to sell the game here

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

I mean no one watches the all star game to get interested in hockey. They don't really have to sell the game here

I watch the NBA all-star game occasionally but I don't give a poo poo about basketball.

Either way the league probably shouldn't adopt the attitude of "we're catering to our core fan base here, it's okay to half rear end everything."

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

Either way the league probably shouldn't adopt the attitude of "we're catering to our core fan base here, it's okay to half rear end everything."

Yeah but why try to fake a different attitude?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ThinkTank posted:

It was entertaining though. I just wish my favourite sport didn't come up with a televison product that looks like it was run by the Adirondack Community Player Society.
Agreed - my thoughts exactly.

Levitate posted:

With us? No. We're all already on board drinking the hockey kool aid. But this is one of the marquis "for the fans" (faaaaaaarts) events that sits on a pedestal and you always, always want to grow your brand... try to get more of a market share and new folks into the sport. Especially if you're considered The Fourth Sport in US Media. You want that poo poo to be good and relevant, not awkward and square-as-gently caress.

again: :shrug:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Trevor Bird posted:

Team Toews has Forsberg, Weber, and the Preds coaches. I guess I'm for them.

Cool that Filip got a car. His life is pretty good this year.

Am I allowed to be a Hawks and Preds fan? Because I love the Preds

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

RC Cola posted:

Am I allowed to be a Hawks and Preds fan? Because I love the Preds

everyone is allowed to like the preds because they're the best. always more room on the bandwagon. :toot:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Thank God the players were able to make something staged fun. Staged, you ask?

quote:

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 2h2 hours ago
NHL asked the two All-Star teams to make a trade, but it was the players that came up with Seguin/Kessel deal.

Some...less than friendly comments on Ovie and his car:

quote:

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 2h2 hours ago
Foligno on Ovechkin, who did not get his Honda Accord: “He’s broken so many of our dreams when he scores goals, so it was great to see..

...him not be able to get what he wanted. But I’m glad he’s on my team, I’ll say that.”

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski 2h2 hours ago
Tavares on Ovechkin looking for car: “I think Ovi was his own No. 1 fan on that one.”

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 3h3 hours ago
Nash on Ovechkin: "He wanted the car, but it seems like he always get everything he wants. So the captains had a plan for that."

e- Added Nash quote.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 24, 2015

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thank God the players were able to make something staged fun.

And all it took was copious amounts of alcohol.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thank God the players were able to make something staged fun. Staged, you ask?

The captains at a minimum obviously knew about the two car "surprise" too, why else pick Ovechkin in that spot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

angrygodofjebus posted:

The captains at a minimum obviously knew about the two car "surprise" too, why else pick Ovechkin in that spot.

Yeah, I didn't catch that until I added the quote from Nash about the captains having a game plan for it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Trevor Bird posted:

everyone is allowed to like the preds because they're the best. always more room on the bandwagon. :toot:

OK good because I bought a pekke jersey :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I would sternly stare at you and sigh, but I have no room to do so since I found myself cheering for the Jets at some point this year.

I think pungry might be onto something here. The more teams I find myself watching, the more enjoyment I seem to get out of hockey.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
It sure is too bad that Team Toews only has 11 forwards, and only 1 LW to boot. I bet they could use a Johnny Gaudreau promotion...

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Burns should win an award for best dressed man.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Another great tweet from everyone's favorite goaltender: https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/559019068205051904

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Glambags posted:

Another great tweet from everyone's favorite goaltender: https://twitter.com/strombone1/status/559019068205051904

:swoon:
I'm so glad this guy is happy again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Maybe when Filip Forsberg wins the Calder Trophy he can put it in his new car and drive around showing it off

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

RC Cola posted:

do me a favor and wear this to any blackhawks game that's against a non-nashville team. there's always people in hawks jerseys at preds games no matter who they're playing and this would be a solid tradeoff.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Maybe when Filip Forsberg wins the Calder Trophy he can put it in his new car and drive around showing it off

he bought a new jaguar 2 weeks ago he said. so just wonderful timing for him.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Trevor Bird posted:

do me a favor and wear this to any blackhawks game.
If I ever can afford to go done and done

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Trevor Bird posted:

he bought a new jaguar 2 weeks ago he said. so just wonderful timing for him.

Did he buy it with his per diem?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So, like, maybe do a draw and give the car to a fan of the team of the last player picked or something. Why the gently caress is Honda giving a car to a couple of people who objectively don't need it and wont ever drive it.

gently caress you NHL, I want an accord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
My friend, who's a Blackhawks fan, asked me which team I'm rooting for. I said "Team Toews" because of Forsberg and Weber, but I pronounced it "Team Toes." I just found one of the best ways to annoy a Hawks fan. :allears:

• Locked thread