Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I'm doing well. I arrived in the Stuttgart area on New Year's Eve, and I'll be here until August to work an internship that will fulfill an academic requirement for my undergraduate degree.

I haven't had great internet access since coming here. I did manage to lurk a thread about tossing pizza I think? It was really good.

Germany is good but different. I haven't seen a stalk of corn for over a month now, and it is shattering my whole worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

Anyway I hope you all are doing well.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

alnilam

Wait until may comes and everyone is taking about asparagus you'll love it

Lil Cunty

whoa it's dopepope

hi dude I hope you're having fun

ty crap

ty landy

tao of lmao

go get some fuccin Erdinger

blaise rascal

alnilam posted:

Wait until may comes and everyone is taking about asparagus you'll love it
oh god it's already happening a little

WD-40 posted:

hi dude I hope you're having fun
Hi! I'm kind of having fun. There's not a whole lot to do in my suburb, but I've been able to do some traveling.

The internship did not actually start until the 15th, so before that I was in Cologne with some fellow students from my university. We were able to see some interesting attractions there, including a museum called the "el de" house, the basement of which the gestapo used as a containment, interrogation, torture, and execution center. It is just another house in the middle of a residential area; its purpose was kept completely secret. The prisoners often had access to writing utensils and would write all over their cell walls. These very interesting, often very poignant writings are the main attraction of the museum, and you can still read them clearly (although more often I just read the English translations on the side).

Another museum we went to was the Roman-German museum. This was built on top of an excavation site that unearthed two-thousand-year-old artifacts from when Cologne was a great Roman city. Most impressive was a beautiful tiled marble floor which remained almost entirely intact despite the destruction of the city's buildings (and the construction of a new city on top). Because this rebuilding made the city higher now than it used to be, you can enter the museum and go down some stairs to see the tiled floor in its original location.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 25, 2015

blaise rascal

Dont bully me! posted:

go get some fuccin Erdinger
Maybe when I get tired of 4 euro bottles of Riesling (this might take a while)

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

good luck op, with the germany

posting smiling
that's cool dopepope. have fun in germany, and say hi to pizzatime.

Diqnol

Hey guys, I'm in exotic New Jersey AMA

blaise rascal

Thanks for the well wishing! I don't know where pizzatime is but I think we previously determined he's not in the same part of the country as me. If a meetup happens I'm sure we'll let everyone know though.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 25, 2015

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
Im also in germany, but thankfully not in the absolute worst city: Stuttgart

alnilam

oliwan posted:

i thought you were in dutch??

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

alnilam posted:

i thought you were in dutch??

true

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

buy kinder eggs while you can

I'd take an empty suitcase just to fill it with the damned things next time I go back

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

blaise rascal

oliwan posted:

I actually hear this a lot. Oh well, I went where the work was.

e: removed a dumb question
Fun fact: in Germany, every food other than kinder eggs also has a surprise inside, and the surprise is always a large piece of butter

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I grew up in Frankfurt und Landstuhl and every weekend my friends and I would go to the corner store to get some kinder eggs. it was legit

stupid American laws won't allow them in :mad:

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

City of Glompton

hi dopepope, take care and have fun! :)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

alnilam

Dopepope when everyone starts saying it's Spargelzeit do yourself a favor and eat all the white asparagus you can find german asparagus is unparalleled in my experience

I lived in westphalia though idk if it's a NRW thing or country wide

Goons Are Gifts

When you visit cologne, please come to my house. I want to share a Bier with you

Notmypants

Pants pants moose pants.
Post dein Schwanz, op

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you come to Berlin, please dont take any more Schwaben with you tia

alnilam

maybe the schwaben should stay in augsburg, chiefly because augsburg is a pretty nice city, but it's not up to me, they can go wherever imo

ty manifisto

ulvir

i hope youre eating the poo poo out of sauerkraut and pretzels

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

go to one of the rhine cities for the festival, its full of drinking and dressing up and terrible german music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cologne_Carnival

i got pics if youre interested, mostly of germans being jolly, 1 of somone throwing up and a few of hot ladies

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 26, 2015

alnilam

dialect in koln is real hard to understand, to me, which is weird cause the german i know is westphalian which is pretty close by

blaise rascal

Notmypants posted:

Post dein Schwanz, op
Please don't be too critical

A LOVELY LAD posted:

go to one of the rhine cities for the festival, its full of drinking and dressing up and terrible german music

Nobnob posted:

When you visit cologne, please come to my house. I want to share a Bier with you
I am waiting on a friend to get back to me about staying at his apartment in Cologne for the Karneval weekend. Hopefully I will be able to, since it's too far to just do a day trip.

However, I am already planning on seeing that friend on a different weekend, when his apartment won't be full of other Karneval guests. I'd love to visit you then, Nobnob! I'm not sure exactly what weekend it will be, but I'll send you a pm if anything gets decided.

Also, pics are always welcome!

ulvir posted:

i hope youre eating the poo poo out of sauerkraut and pretzels
I've been slacking on the sauerkraut but I am devouring a lot of high quality pretzels since they sell them at work. They are sold in a vending machine, which seemed weird at first, but so far they have always been fresh. Not going to lie, the pretzel machine is the most awesome work environment perk ever, and it will be very hard to give up when I go back home.

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Doug

i hear that in germany "sheisse" is a swear word.

• Locked thread