Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I use WinAmp since I'm too lazy to try another program. And WinAmp still works under Windows 8.1. I have WinAmp installed on my desktop, old laptop and Surface Pro 3.

Ironically I don't listen to any music on my iPhone, not even the U2 album that mysteriously appeared on the phone one day (thanks for the album, I guess? :confuoot: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
xmms

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Nah, sorry, I use iTunes. I use it because I like to use iTunes Match, so all of my computers and iOS devices have all of the same music available for streaming.

I use Google Play for things I really don't listen to often but want them available to stream (game OSTs, classical, audio books).

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

spoon0042 posted:

lol slashdot

if you're serious: http://www.foobar2000.org/

you know how people were talking about music player spergs earlier in the thread re: winamp? this is who they are actually referring to

loving foobar :psyduck:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I use winamp because the way I play my music is deciding what album I want to put on, opening My Music, opening the folder in question and dragging it into winamp. That's all I need to do and I'm terrified that trying anything new will complicate and confuse matters. what more do I need?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Pirate Vision posted:

If you like getting stoned and looking at milkdrop you should probably install bltc because that poo poo is way better than the default milkdrop presets.

This is rad as heck, thanks

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They did ever explain what "Winamp" stands for?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

notZaar posted:

it was epic and for the Win :razz:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

RusteJuxx posted:

Nah, sorry, I use iTunes. I use it because I like to use iTunes Match, so all of my computers and iOS devices have all of the same music available for streaming.

Winamp and every other music player can also do this scrub. Act like you have some drat sense, jesus.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RusteJuxx posted:

I use Google Play for things I really don't listen to often but want them available to stream (game OSTs, classical, audio books).

Was it hard telling your dad that you're gay?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

And now here come the dudes who are mad about music players. It's weird. People don't get mad when they learn about people using substandard word processors or whatever.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

opus111 posted:

And now here come the dudes who are mad about music players. It's weird. People don't get mad when they learn about people using substandard word processors or whatever.

if you don't use WordPerfect 3.2 you're a fag

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
can i have some winamp

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i use foobar it's like winamp but better

that said the screen on my windows laptop is busted so i've only got my power mac and i don't listen to music on it. it doesn't even have any speakers

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

notZaar posted:

It's an amplifier for windows. Not sure what it amplifies.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Lmfao if you listen to music

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014

serious norman posted:

Lmfao if you listen to music

this. this. this. this.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
i am married to foobar2000. it is carrying my child. i love foobar2000, and our unborn, hosed up human/music player child, dearly

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Nathilus posted:

Winamp and every other music player can also do this scrub. Act like you have some drat sense, jesus.
But then I need to have hundreds of gigs of audio stored on a computer somewhere. :confused: :(

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

Maldoror posted:

can i have some winamp

hi can i have some winamp?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Oh Lordy Lord posted:

hi can i have some winamp?

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

lol jk lmao that you only have 884 posts in 10 years

but srs welcome back

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
i like musicbee

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

2.78 here. Never reinstalled it, just move the entire folder and make a shortcut.

It even comes complete with the terrible skins i downloaded over a decade ago.

If it isnt broken, just leave it alone.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

trigger warning that poo poo

hydo
Nov 23, 2002

I'm gay for Lipton Brisk Iced Tea
Last year I interviewed with AOL to work on a team who's plan was to re-write and remarket Winamp as an itunes-a-like, with a music service and all kinds of stuff.

later...

Whoa, poo poo, I guess they did end up doing something with it. A friend of mine joined the team and said it was going nowhere fast, but it looks like they released.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
What the gently caress else would you use?

Been using Winamp since I downloaded my first mp3 back in '97 or so. Tried other programs but they're all trash.

Winamp, it really kicks the llamas rear end.

(plus Milkdrop loving owns and there seriously is no better visualization program outside of some really hardcore specialized poo poo for crazy parties)

[edit] Using version 5.56 'cause I want milkdrop and honestly it's not bloated at all compared to any other thing on the planet. I have no idea how the future versions are.

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 31, 2015

Tartan Target
Jun 1, 2001

I had a friend who, ten years ago, used nothing but iTunes, on a PC. Last year, he suddenly decided to use nothing but Winamp. It's slightly confusing.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Tartan Target posted:

I had a friend who, ten years ago, used nothing but iTunes, on a PC. Last year, he suddenly decided to use nothing but Winamp. It's slightly confusing.

He saw the light.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I decided to give foobar another shot and they seem to have fixed whatever it was that made the base program borderline unusable for any but the most dedicated autists. I tried to install some theme though and it had like 4 dependencies some of which were hosted on a wiki where the wiki owner had some dumb 3 paragraph screed against foobar devs but no loving files

:modcommunities:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

A Stupid Baby posted:

I decided to give foobar another shot and they seem to have fixed whatever it was that made the base program borderline unusable for any but the most dedicated autists. I tried to install some theme though and it had like 4 dependencies some of which were hosted on a wiki where the wiki owner had some dumb 3 paragraph screed against foobar devs but no loving files

:modcommunities:

Setting up foobar got me so angry last time i did it I made a cheat sheet on how to install it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gnarlyhotep posted:

iTunes is one of the worst pieces of professionally written software I have ever seen, and I've used circa-2002 Lotus Notes

It really is, but I have thousands of songs on my HDD and iTunes can spit out a random playlist of related songs while Winamp shits itself if you try to do the same with a library that big.

Unfortunately, the playlists "iTunes Genius" shits out are garbage. A 75 song playlist will consist of: 35 songs by the artist you started with, 20 songs by bands so closely related to the first artist that they're practically interchangeable, 10 songs loosely tied to the genre of the original artist, 5 wildcard songs by one or two artists that have absolutely no loving relation to each other let alone your original song, and 5 Beatles songs.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
used it since day one after my older mp2 player started chugging on my old Pentium 2. it's one of the first apps i install in a new pc (besides Steam, Chrome, and Itunes).

I love itunes though. The two times a year i use it to sync my ipod that is ...

ObscureThought
May 10, 2013

Winamp lite is cool

I use Spotify and iTunes rather than maintaining my own music library though because I couldn't figure out a way to do it that isn't a total mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Listening to the gently caress outta some :filez: that I downloaded from WinMX on my winamp -- ~now playing: the Beastie boys dead Kennedys snoop doggy dogg: lovin is what I got~

• Locked thread