Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Akarshi posted:

I visited there a few times, mostly ate Japanese food. I highly recommend Sunrise Restaurant, great Okinawan food. I don't know about the sushi, but I really liked the soups and noodle soups.

Now for some Philadelphia recs:

Bistrot la Minette - Sort of pricey French place off South Street but I really enjoyed it when I went there. I think I got the roasted rabbit. It's pretty popular though, so it gets rather crowded. Its restaurant week deal is stellar too.

Terakawa Ramen - In Chinatown. This place has what I think is the best ramen in Philly. I tried out Nom Nom Ramen, Ramen Bar, Hiro Ramen House...this place is hands down the best. Their curries ain't bad either.

Shiroi Hana - Center City, Japanese. It's reasonably priced and authentic. I typically go for lunch, when it's cheaper, and get a nabeyaki udon.

Spice C - In Chinatown, Chinese. Hand drawn noodles with a spicy soup base. I think this place used to be something else, but it either closed or they renamed/rebranded it. Either way you hear a lot of hype about Nan Zhou, but I personally prefer this place because I think the soup base is more interesting.

Mood Cafe - West Philly, around 46th and Baltimore. Somehow this place has five stars on Yelp. I don't think it's quiiiite that good, but the owner is very friendly, and the chaat/lassi is eclectic and good. Be warned that the chaat, according to my Indian friend, isn't very authentic, but it's still really tasty. There's all sorts of flavors going on in there.

Ray's Cafe - In Chinatown. Good syphon coffee, excellent dumplings, friendly owner. Each order of tea or coffee comes with a small cookie and a tiny pitcher of cream.

El Jarocho - South Philly, Mexican. I usually get tacos here but my friends swear by the various rice and beans platters.

Kilimandjaro - West Philly, Senegalese. Yo I never had Senegalese food before but this place was really good, and surprisingly spicy! I like the Yassa Chicken. Their fish dishes also come with like, a whole fish. Large portions.

There's more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

I'm gonna piggyback off this one and I'm gonna double down on Terakawa because hot drat it really is the best. Also good is Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House in Chinatown.

If you're ever in West Philly/University City, try Kabobeesh (not the crap place down on South Street). It's the kind of Indian/Pakistani place that taxi drivers eat at. Best god drat Tandoori Chicken I've ever had. Owner is a super friendly guy with a proto-hitler 'stache. I've never had anything there I didn't like, and their spicy chickpea side they serve over rice is too savory I can't believe it.

I also recommend Sketch Burger, which is off Girard Ave, near Fishtown if I'm not mistaken. "Artisan" burger kind of stuff, but when you get down to it, they're some of the tastiest burgs I've ever had the pleasure to burg on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU