Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Might as well have a general grab bag thread for all the miscellany cities that aren't quite culinary destinations.

This week I'm in Salt Lake City in the downtown area next to the Salt Palace convention center. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance and they're dare I say somewhat modern looking, and there are plenty of wine bars around here as well because I guess they're desperately trying to convince everyone that people drink here. Anyone got recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's ok I got a bunch of suggestions from tardhat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
SLC report:

Beerhive is hit and miss... Fish and chips that were nice and crispy on Friday were soggy and undercooked on Saturday (the fries were crispy both days though). Reuben was great. Great selection of beers and their liquor prices were appreciated by someone coming from LA.

Copper Onion is great. Lemony ricotta dumpling appetizers were delicious. Brisket BBQ biscuit was also great, as was the hollandaise on the slightly overcooked sunny up egg.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there anything good to eat in San Jose?

My friend had this to say:

quote:

We're spending the long weekend in San Jose. Lovely place, but we've had 3 very disastrous meals so far. It's like we've slipped into a super lovely, wicked expensive food vortex. Not even Starbucks can get it right. Any recommendations for breaking out of this situation besides going home?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 17, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm going to be in the Northern California Bay Area this weekend for a wedding, driving up Friday night and leaving Monday. What's good to eat with friends? Nothing over $50, got a grad student friend tagging along

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey my friend is going to be in Copenhagen for an eight hour layover about two weeks from now. Is there anything he should hit up in that time?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

therobit posted:

Me wife and I are going to San Francisco for Presidents Day weekend. We want to have one really nice (expensive) dinner and then whatever is cheap to reasonable and good along the way.

Not a meal, but you should hit up b.patisserie for dessert any time of the day and get their kouign amann, which is even better than Dominique Ansel's

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What should I eat in downtown Atlanta (by the CNN building)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I am going to Paris from October 23-29. Any recommended things to hit up? Any tourist advice? Anything I can do to cause an international incident?

Do I need to make arrangements far in advance to see the following:
- The Arc Of Triumph
- The Louver Museum
- The Museum De Orsay
- The Paris Tower

Any restaurants in Paris to hit up?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 9, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was just misspelling all of the landmarks to sound like a clueless tourist

Thanks for the great recommendations, everyone!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I love American accents in other languages, never fails to crack me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it52DtmIcec&t=21s

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the Paris recommendations everyone. I landed at 6AM and my hotel wouldn't check me in until 3PM so I somehow managed to figure out the transit system, visit Versailles, Notre Dame, the Hotel de Ville and the Eiffel Tower in the first delirious adrenaline-fueled day. I hit so many landmarks I started running out of things to do by day 4 so I ended up visiting Jim Morrison's grave and eating a Royal with Cheese for yucks

Best meals:

Le Coq Rico for rotisserie chicken

Ambassade d'Auvergne for lamb shank and aligot

The Louvre Museum's restaurant was surprisingly good (and finally had the first escargot of my life that wasn't terrible)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 14, 2018