Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah but how was the soda at Dickie's BBQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Chaparro is a hole-in-the-wall place that does decent Mexican food, which is rare in Germany. Although last time I was there they had started giving you sour cream with the tacos and I got a little wary.

That's a thing in parts of Mexico though. Especially in places where lots of Germans moved to, curiously.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Khyber Pass Kabob is really good, and there's about a zillion Indian places that are good enough to eat lunch or an easy supper at. There was a hole-in-the-wall Korean joint across the freeway in Pleasanton that I like, too. Otherwise not much that I can think of, sorry.

edit: wait you mean Ireland I bet. Nevermind.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Going to be in Napa/Yountville/St. Helena next weekend, and it occurs to me that I don't know any of the sort of lower or mid-tier places that are trying hard. What's really good these days?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Make sure you get drunk at the Mercado de San Miguel on cheap Russian beer and then get chased by the Spanish cops.

Good times.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you wait till after it's closed to the public and you're hanging out with the stall owners and cleaning people, you will discover eastern European vendors with push carts making their way in and selling litres of high gravity Russian malt liquor for a euro a bottle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Neopie posted:

Hey, I live near Birmingham, Albama these days, even if I'd rather not be in the state, I still need suggestions for good food! Just got here relatively recently, so I don't know what's good yet. Any suggestions? Seafood, Cajun/Southern food, BBQ and Chinese, especially.

Doobies

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oae Ui posted:

I'm staying near Monterey, CA for about a week. Anyone have any recommendations?

Sea Harvest is a pretty good fish shack, and easy on the budget. There's lots of fancier places, but none of them are quite as good, I don't think. And actually that's the thing about Monterey - there's a lot of really nice places with expensive menus turning out food that isn't actually very good at all because they're relying completely on the whole romance of the seashore thing with the tourists. So the best food is at the lower dollar places, generally.

Paprika is a good place for middle eastern stuff.

Huala's and Crown and Anchor are both good kitschy but good.

Lots of good taquerias that you can pretty much take your pick from.

Stay away from the pier.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Goons IRL scare me.

D&F is cool tho

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

lavaca posted:

I'm going to be in Rome for fun and Palermo for work. What are some good places to go for solo meals? In Rome I'll be staying near the Vatican and in Palermo I'll be at the shipyard north of town. Bonus points for stuff that's not usually available at Italian restaurants in the US. Do I really want to eat horse grilled on the sidewalk like Bourdain did?

I never found bad food in Rome. Around the Vatican there's a lot of touristy stuff, but even it is pretty tasty. This time of year it's already going to start being hot, so plan accordingly - nuclear hot arancini from a little storefront aren't as good when you're sweating and want to go chill in a bar. Roman pizza is good and unique,.

The thing is, Rome, like other places in Italy, is crazy about vegetables. The locals eat bread products, vegetables, and a little bit of meat (more and more meat these days, though), and so the good restaurants will be those emphasizing whatever vegetables are currently in season - just read the menu before you go in. It's full on artichoke season there right now, so look for places with a lot of those dishes - alla guida is like this crazy super good deep fried artichoke thing you have to try. It's also getting to be time for asparagus, so look for that, and early zucchinis are also out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, I was just misspelling all of the landmarks to sound like a clueless tourist

Thanks for the great recommendations, everyone!

https://youtu.be/mJG0lqukJTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Need some quick recs for Singapore

How long are you there? Multiply that number by 3 and that's how many times you go for Hainanese Chicken Rice.