Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pierson posted:

How was Heist-mode in the alpha/beta? An AAA-quality, PVP version of Payday 2 sounds fuckin' awesome but this is DICE and Battlefield so I have little hope of that being true.

Yeah I dunno, the strength of BF has usually been doing stuff like sniping helicopters with a tank or killing snipers by guiding a remote-controlled missile up their rear end. It was never really all that good at twitchy short-ranged infantry-only firefights. Though maybe the new developer manages to turn that around, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

folgore posted:

Compared to other games like it (i.e. CoD), the gunplay is absolutely better. What you said was definitely applicable in BF2's heyday but not since BC2 I would say. Granted, this game will probably be bad.

Admittedly I haven't played beyond the first expansion of BF4, but even there it always felt a bit janky. Movement a bit floaty, netcode a bit slow on the uptake, and at short ranges most of the automatic weapons ended up behaving very similar. I'll absolutely agree that it worked very well in the medium-to-long ranged firefights that you'd see on most maps, but in confined spaces (Operation Locker :argh:) it tended to break down somewhat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

Thanks for the heads up. At what time does it actually go active tomorrow?

Origin tells me 10:00, presumably CET. Welp, so much for getting anything productive done tomorrow :suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So whose brilliant idea was it to give one class shotguns as their main weapon but without actually doing anything about the "shotguns are useless beyond 10 meters" issue? This is doubly fun as the actually useful guns are hella expensive and apparently you need to buy two of them because they're faction-locked.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

Eh, this game is okay i guess

It's pretty much BF4 with smaller maps and a bunch of new equipment. The new gamemodes are fun-ish, but nothing particularly revolutionary.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

So your complaint is that shotguns are useful at non-point blank ranges, now? Or they still are? I was watching a RussianBadger video and it looked to me like they were OHKing at much longer ranges than they would in BF4.

The latter. The 870 seems to be pretty much the same as in BF4, meaning that its one-hit-kill range tops out at about ~10 meters and beyond that rapidly becomes useless due to the damage dropoff and pellet spread. In itself they're not bad and as an optional weapon for all the classes they were perfectly fine, but making them the primary weapon type of the enforcer basically means that that class is gimped on the larger maps until you can pony up the ~80k$ to unlock the heavy rifles for them. Slugs or muzzle brakes help, but those too are locked behind a bit of a grind.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Feenix posted:

I'm a newborn baby idiot when it comes to PC games. I launched BF Hardline Beta through Origin... it put me in a game. How/where do I change the loving settings? Graphics, controls, etc...?

All ingame, through the escape menu.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

Heist really doesn't seem fun. On 32 Player Mode it's just a zergfest of explosions, grenades and shotguns all concentrated in a meatgrinder.

Yeah, most of the time it boils down to both teams just grinding into each other until either the tickets run out or the syndicate manage to brute-force themselves into the dropoff zones. It certainly doesn't help that the cops can see the exact position of the money-carriers at any given moment. Hotwire is better, but also hampered by small maps. You basically just end up driving in small circles the whole time.

On the whole, it's actually not bad and quite fun. The basics of shooting mans are very solid, and sniping helicopters out of the air with a SMAW never gets old. But at least in this beta there's not really anything that I'd say is a significant improvement over BF4, and it arguably makes a step backwards in some areas. In a vacuum it'd be great, but with BF4 right there it just kinda feels like a DLC that's been stretched out until it can pass as a standalone game.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 3, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ularg posted:

So, by class, what is your guys favorite weapons? I'm hoping to get the K10 before the beta ends because I absolutely love the Vector's design, but other than that I really don't know what to unlock. I've been really enjoying the UMP45, it's definitely one of the powerhouse PDWs. And I'm really digging the new red dot sight.

The HK51 for the ciminal enforcer is some good poo poo. If you put it on single shot you can drop dudes on medium to long range no problem, and on full-auto it's still fairly capable for point-blank shooting. The cops' SCAR-H seems to be pretty much the same, though I haven't used it as much yet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TubeStank posted:

Best way to takedown mans next to the BASEBAWL BAT

Lookit this scrub not using the giant fuckoff hammer :colbert:. The best thing is that it's still an instant kill even if you mess up the takedown and just hit them normally with it.

On another note, keeping the choppers pretty much as strong as they were in BF4 but significantly reducing the availability of anti-air weaponry around may not have been the smartest design decision.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

^^^^ Okay, that kinda owns. ^^^^

suddenlyissoon posted:

I really don't like the fact that you have to buy specific weapons for the cops and different ones for the robbers. It sucks. I know you can equip them via battlelog but it appears that's a glitch.

There's apparently supposed to be an in-game way to unlock their use cross-faction, something about a "weapon license". But still, that's likely behind a fair bit of a grind and just an annoyance that seems to exist for no good reason at all. The weapons on either faction are generally similar enough to each other that it doesn't really give them a particular unique feel or anything, it just prolongs the grind.

TubeStank posted:

I dunno. Choppers really weren't a problem I noticed for the 3 hours I played yesterday. Small arms fire knocked them down fairly quickly.

It was most noticeable against a couple of guys in the attack chopper working together. They were killing dudes left and right, and there was no real way to actually bring them down for good, even several people focusing fire did damage gradually and slowly enough for them to retreat and repair with ease. Even if hit with a Stinger (which is a bit of a hassle to get your hands on to begin with) they'd just land somewhere out of sight and repair. I tried using the minigun on a SUV with a helpful pubby as the driver chasing after them, but with the cooldown period of the gun there was no way to cram enough damage into a short enough timeframe to actually kill them. Maybe with the bigger anti-vehicle MGs on the cars it'd be more feasible, but as it stands right now it's a bit annoying. I haven't yet run across any shenanigans involving repairing a transport chopper in flight, but I'd guess that'd be similarly difficult to bring down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KiddieGrinder posted:

I assume he means the hotwire mode, everyone just goes in loops around and around until someone with an rpg blows you up. Respawn, repeat till end of match.

At least that's the way I see it most of the time.

edit: and I assume he means even on paper, hotwire doesn't make much sense. For both sides to have tickets, for the police to have to hold vehicles and drive them around (not even needing to stop the 'bad guys') makes little sense. I don't know why it wasn't more a "stop the bad guys from getting stolen cars from A to B" or something, rather than everyone driving in circles.

Yeah, when I first heard about it I thought it would be like a long stretch of highway or a big desert with several spawns so that you can actually get some racing action on or something, but in the beta at least the maps are so small that you end up making a full circuit every ten seconds or so. So you just end up driving small circles until you get blown up by some unavoidable C4 or an RPG from pretty much point blank range.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the thing about BC2's gunplay was that it handled gun accuracy almost entirely through the gun's cone of fire, like for example in Counter Strike. So anything that negatively affects your accuracy like moving/jumping around or sustained automatic fire would cause your bullets to deviate to a greater degree from your aimpoint. The problem was that the player got almost no feedback about this at all. You could be shooting at a guy with your ironsights being absolutely rock steady on target, yet your bullets could still go all over the place. Nowadays it works the other way around, your bullets will almost always go pretty much exactly where your sights are pointing, but those sights are moved around a lot by recoil and movement, which is much more intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is it? I had a go a few times and it seems the only thing you can really do is help spot bad guys on the radar (which pubbies don't look at). It's not like you can call drone strikes or something to actually do something worthwhile for the team.

Any specifics you want to go in to that made you think it's way easier? :v:

Yeah, I had the same impression. One time I saw a squad of ours trying to cap a point way behind enemy lines, so I threw everything I had at them. Spotting radar, gps jammer to keep them from getting spotted, fast respawn, fortify the point for faster capping, the whole nine yards. They still got wiped out by like two dudes before they got anywhere :v:

The spotting options are nice and all, but only occasionally seem to really make a tangible difference. Meanwhile the stuff with the power transformers and gas leaks seems to do approximately gently caress all.

• Locked thread