Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Thanks for taking up the USPol OP, Comrade. I wish to recommend Matt Taibbi's 'The Divide' for books relevant to inequality and regulatory capture.

Fried Chicken, thank you for all your hard work, as well, and to everyone for helping keep me abreast of the suicidally-depressing goings on in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
14%? Pbbbbt. Tax it at 140%, and if they can't pay up, :fuckoff:, debt bondage. See how those literal monsters like it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

slogsdon posted:

You have yet to demonstrate this.

"Hello, Samsung? This is Something Awful forums user Tubgoat. We're having a debate on whether your more advanced models of television set can eavesdrop on consumers and send the recordings to a server for future use in extra-legal persecution or extortion. What? You say they can't? Boy, am I relieved! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my query honestly, this is sure to put to bed all the unending rumors of universal electronic surveillance by the military-industrial complex that are always found to be worse than feared weeks to decades after official sources deny them!"

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'd love to see how awesome this TV's speech recognition is considering solutions like Dragon dictation software have to be trained to recognize your utterances accurately. The next big thing is supposed to enlist AI to do speech recognition.
While I necessarily have nothing to back up my assertion, I always assume that top-of-the-line consumer technology will perpetually be at least two decades behind anything being used by The System to oppress the proletariat. Source: I live in the U.S. and have been accused of being too cynical.

Yes, 15 years ago, I'd've regarded such opinions as batshit lunacy, but here we are.

Edit to clarify: I agree that there's no reason to process recordings locally, there's all the time in the world for NSA interns to transcribe every last breath uttered in the vicinity of their microphones.

Lol, "going to." Everything else in the book has come true, hasn't it?
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 10, 2015

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

I've been saying for years that it's a great place to live if you can stand the winters which, thanks to climate change, are only going to get milder.
I specifically remember my Physical Environment (very basic geo-graphy/logy) teacher saying that our winters are supposed to get colder and our summers hotter, going forward, but I have little memory of even the past year (which I am okay with) for comparison.
I proudly describe The Cities as "one of the least terrible places to live in the U.S., even factoring in winter."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

intellectual conservative

Excellent name/post combo. Seriously, what is an intellectual conservative? Because if it's merely a borderline-intelligent right-winger, there's a lot more of them, primarily identifying as libertarians and/or actively destroying our planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

JonathonSpectre posted:

"And now you're getting to see how wickedly evil and monstrous the right can be! Congratulations, you've been hosed at both ends of the street!"
The lesson here is that allowing murderous sociopaths unchecked power over millions of terrified and gullible rubes is always the best course of action and any attempt at oversight or accountability should be met with suspicion and hostility.

• Locked thread