Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Completing overdue GMTs in January should also count for January's GMTs IMO. I just finished Combatting Trafficking in Persons last week and now I am on the dink list again because that was 2014 training or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pandasmores posted:

How'd it end up a year overdue? It's not like the training you took is going to change just with you taking the course again. There's some retarded poo poo from the simplest poo poo.

Beats me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

TsarAleksi posted:

I feel dirty even typing this but it's because they count GMTs from the fiscal year -- so it's overdue because it wasn't completed by September of 2014, and presumably his command was on someone's dinq list. Now that it's complete and they're ashamed of their dinq-ness, they're going to force feed the 2015 GMTs even if it means doing the same stupid training two times in a row. Just ask me how many times I had to learn about PS3 Joyner, the sad-sack sailor who can't handle being on a repair party... (aka Operational Stress Control GMT)

My fav is the Cyber Security Awareness one with the office full of chucklefucks. No, bitch I won't let you in just because you forgot your ID!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Analogical posted:

Or the classic; SN Wysocki and the Hotel Party Gangbang or, How I Learned to Stop Regretting It and Just Call the SAPR

That's the one where the guy is like "She's cute cute, not just 'boat cute'..." right?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They should have a SAPR NKO training module that parodies Japanese dating sims, only the correct answer is to avoid sex with all the characters.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Had the dream where I'd overslept and was late for the 2-7.
I've been on my shore tour for over a year.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sir Lucius posted:

They should model it after the dating sims in bioware games.

"Calibrations"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DustyNuts posted:

I've had dreams about missing ship's movement for 10 years. That doesn't go away for some reason.

Have you ever woken up forgetting which way around you are in your rack and tried to climb out, only to discover there's a bulkhead there and you're still mostly asleep so you think you're trapped in a tiny box and start to freak a little?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
BMs are pretty cool guys. They're some of the hardest workers on the ship and get treated like poo poo but they make the best drinking buddies anywhere. Plus they get a lot of leeway for backtalk because no one expects better of them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

UoI posted:

The only job I really knew of was Corpsman and I decided not to do that, so I had no idea what kind of job to go for. When I read what ABE does it seemed really interesting, so I went for it instead of waiting for something else and losing that. :smith:

You'll be fine. There's no rate in the Navy that will guarantee you an easy/fun career, regardless of what anyone says. They all have their advantages and drawbacks. It's really all up to you. If you don't enjoy it, just put your head down and work hard so you can crossrate as soon as you can.
Honestly, though, if you make good friends, you will have a good time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

What is the skatest rating in the navy? I'm going to vote my own long ago, trident radio et.

Actually it's aviators.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

And even at sea you get to set 6 "working hours" per day.

That used to piss me off so much. If I'm coming off the 12-17 and need something filed, I don't need any of this "we close at 1530" BS. Everything else on the ship runs 24 hours a day.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

It's a shame how great most jobs in the navy sound considering the reality.

My detailor got a hold of me yesterday with orders to San Diego which would be great except gently caress the navy, so I suppose I get to go in and talk to the career counselor about making my prd match my adsd and let him know I'm getting out. It actually feels really weird knowing that this is the point of no return. I'd feel a lot better about getting out if I didn't have a house and two kids.

Suppose job hunting starts soon!

Man I'd take the San Diego orders that place is a paradise.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Personally I think separate wardroom messbills would make more sense if the wardroom were still allowed to buy its own food.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Then you have an issue of the wardroom getting better food than the rest of the ship. There's already enough issue in some places of elitism without tossing that in as well.

The wardroom itself is part of that same paradigm, by that logic why not eliminate the separate dining facilities altogether?
Anyway I didn't mean to argue that we should bring back wardrooms buying their own food, but rather that the separate messbills are vestigial and make no sense under the current arrangement.
In the bigger picture I don't know if the usual egalitarian principles apply in an explicitly hierarchical organization. To a certain extent, all military organizations are elitist by design.
At least it's not like the old days where you had to literally be landed gentry before you could become an officer. In principle (if not perfectly applied in real life) anyone can become an officer if they work hard enough.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 9, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Both my past ships also had First Class messes, which I think is taking things a bit too far.

(they weren't separate rooms, but the First Classes just were bullies who didn't let anyone sit at a particular table)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

I absolutely agree that the chief's treefort is stupid.

B-but traditionnnn! :qq:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Laranzu posted:

Enlisted pilots. Then they could bro out with the pilot bros and bridge the divide.

Also fire all SWOs. They are beyond help.

Edit:In reality, small steps at a time to get rid of the elitism. It used to be much more necessary when the enlisted were literally uneducated farmers who might be able to load cannons without oversight

Stop sucking off COs and flag officers quite as hard and hopefully it trickles down. First, fire SWOs tho.

Who else but SWOs are insanely masochistic enough to do what they do, though?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

Well SWO JOs have a lot of stuff do as well and arguably the Chiefs should be handling a lot of the low level aspects of running a division. In aviation it's unavoidable because I'm not available for many hours at a time when I'm planning, briefing, flying, and debriefing.

Don't forget your mando eight hours of sleep.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vulturesrow posted:

8 hours isn't really enough tbh.

Also, crew rest is a"should" not a "shall"according to 3710. :science:

Talk to me when you are in 3 sections and just came off the 2-7 and are expected to do the 22-02 the next night and there's a GQ all day so God loving forbid you be in your rack for any reasonable amount of time. Maybe if you skip dinner you can catch a couple hours.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Howard Phillips posted:

The SWO is too drat strong in me.

SWO is literally the Navy. It's god's work that others don't have the balls to do it. We're making miracles happen every loving day on nothing. COCOMs are hungry idiotic political beasts in peace time and their demand signal for their "missions" literally destroys the fleets and the Sailors. SWOs have to make that poo poo happen. There's a reason why at the Pentagon there's a saying that if it's a particularly difficult task with little guidance or reference to go from "give it a SWO." We get poo poo done, it may not be pretty and people's lives might suck but WE GET poo poo DONE. All this with sequestration, reduced manning, retarded procurement, BUPERS, OPNAV, and a million other BS.
:cmon:

Yeah that's what they told me that got me to go SWO, too.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Null Integer posted:

SWO go home.

Our home is the sea.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

You think that's something, get a gung-ho Boatswain's Mate talking about how BMs are "literally the Navy."

It was me I started that. I was a young and inexperienced 1st Lt. I was just trying to motivate my sailors.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nothing worse than getting caught sleeping in the outboard of radio by the loving nav. Dude was prior enlisted radioman so he totally knew what went on which is how he kept catching us sleeping there.

Stop sleeping on watch dammit!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

Obviously you've never checked in on a CIC during midwatch. At least I made my guys wake up when people came into the spaces, those guys were out cold.

I was OIDIVO on my first tour and I basically went from one end of CIC to the other waking people up all watch (the stbd side would fall asleep as soon as I got finished waking up the port and vice versa)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
#JustNavyThings

That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're the first guy in line for the gate to turn his headlights off for the sentry and everyone behind you starts to turn theirs off, too.

Coming off the 2-7 QD watch on a Saturday morning and rolling straight into your rack after Duty Section Turnover.

When your watch is preempted by an UNREP and you're not on the UNREP watchbill and you sleep through the whole thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

UoI posted:

Don't they know by now that 90% of people join for the uniform?

I certainly did.
Then I found out they don't do the WWII Khaki jacket anymore. I was super excited for that period in 2010 or so when they looked like they were gonna bring it back but it looks like that fell through :(

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How come there are no SWO TV shows?
A good title for a SWO-based sitcom would be JO Jungle.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pandasmores posted:

drat, at Great Lakes we had about 20 dudes go to Mast for running a train on someone at a party.

Was it rape or just frat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pandasmores posted:

Frat, but our CO and the base CO counted it as rape since she was super drunk even though they had started before they had been drinking. People just kept jumping in and some people went to Mast simply because they didn't stop it. Oh hotel parties. I think she was engaged too and her husband to be was a reservist off in bumfuck wherever the hell she was from.

Has anyone bought the fiance a forums membership yet?

• Locked thread