Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Just Look at these loving Numbers!

The Document Foundation estimated in September 2011 that there were 10 million users worldwide who had obtained LibreOffice via downloads or CD-ROMs. Over 90% of those were on Windows, with another 5% on Mac OS X. LibreOffice is the default office suite for most Linux distributions, and is installed when the operating system is installed or updated. Based on International Data Corporation reckonings for new or updated Linux installations in 2011, The Document Foundation estimated a subtotal of 15 million Linux users. This gave a total estimated user base of 25 million users in 2011.[112] In September 2013, after two years, the estimated number of LibreOffice users was 75 million.[113] A million new unique IP addresses check for downloads each week.[20]

The Document Foundation has set a target of 200 million users worldwide before the end of 2020.[112]

LibreOffice has seen various mass deployments since its inception:

In 2003-2004, the Brazilian corporation Serpro started migrating its software to BrOffice (the local version of LibreOffice at the time), with estimated value of BRL 3.5 billion (approximately US$1.2 billion at the time), and became a case study for similar initiatives in Brazil, particularly in e-government.[114]
In 2005, the French Military Police announced its migration to OpenOffice.org.[115] It is currently migrating to a customised version of Ubuntu with LibreOffice (target for 2015: 72,000 desktop machines).[116]
In 2010, the Irish city of Limerick gradually started migrating to open-source solutions to free itself from vendor lock-in and improve its purchase negotiation power. One of the key aspects of this move has been the use of LibreOffice.[117]
In 2011, the administrative authority of the Île-de-France region (which includes the city of Paris) included LibreOffice in a USB flash drive given to students which contains free open source software. The USB flash drive is given to approximately 800,000 students.[32][118]
In 2011, it was announced that thirteen hospitals of the Copenhagen region would gradually switch to LibreOffice, affecting "almost all of the 25,000 workers".[119]
In 2012, the Greek city of Pylaia-Chortiatis migrated its PCs to use LibreOffice. The local Linux User Group estimated cost savings to be at least 70,000 euros.[120]
In July 2012, the Spanish city of Las Palmas switched its 1200 PCs to using LibreOffice, citing cost savings of €400,000.[121]
In 2012, the administration of Umbria, Italy, started a project to migrate an initial group of 5000 civil workers to LibreOffice.[122]
The city of Largo, Florida, US has been a long-time user[123] of open-source software using Linux thin clients. Originally using OpenOffice.org, the city of Largo switched to LibreOffice in 2013.[124]
In June 2013 the government of the Italian province of South Tyrol will be switching 7000 PCs in administration and "many more thousands" of PCs in health services using LibreOffice and ODF.[125]
In August 2013, the administration of the Spanish autonomous region of Valencia has completed the migration of all 120,000 PCs of the administration, including schools and courts, to LibreOffice.[126]
In 2013, the German city of Munich announced that it would transition from OpenOffice to LibreOffice in the near future. This is in line with Munich's long term commitment to using open source software. Munich uses LiMux, an Ubuntu Linux derivative, on nearly all of the city's 15,000 computers.[127][128]
In 2014, the French city of Toulouse announced it saved 1 million euro by migrating thousands of workstations to LibreOffice.[129][130]

holy poo poo thats a lot of users, it is perfect for my needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BONGHITZ posted:

the French city of Toulouse announced it saved 1 million euro

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use pages

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

theadder posted:

i use numbers

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my shaved chest, op

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i also use numbers

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ms office is the only application suite you use in a professional setting sorry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use libre office

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its fuckin win as hell

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I use libreoffice at work and frequently have to educate "complainers" that my documents might look a little different but that's just because I use free and open source software, and if the price of freedom is that something doesn't render quite right on their screen, well, it's a small price to pay for technological freedom.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i use google docs, but barely ever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
had to get a office 365 acc (whcih is also SUPER OWNAge) for the bookkeeper b/c she insisted on using "real office" loving vapid whore

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hurrr this sint real office WELL BItch u went to college right? surely u elarned how to RTFM :rolleyes:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i use google docs, but barely ever

google docs is so loving bad that it drove me back into the loving arms of microsoft software piracy last year when it was resume time

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google docs suits the very humble needs of my arts non profit and google in their infinite generosity has given us the Google Apps for Education suite of cloud utilities for free. bless you larry, sunder, etc

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jonny 290 posted:

google docs is so loving bad that it drove me back into the loving arms of microsoft software piracy last year when it was resume time

i believe you, i just barely have to use that type of stuff ever so i don't know any better

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my ultimate productivity suite is MAC OSX pages and MAC OSX numerology and SUBLIME TEXT 3 + the terminal and everything mac brew can give me

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the terminal is an amazing productivity tool. the trick is knowing when to not use the terminal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the terminal is an amazing productivity tool. the trick is knowing when to not use the terminal

ur a loving BOSS with a hge powerful brain. :drat:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
posting abiut using a terminal fort ext editing itt is almost

<<--- stalinesue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
livreodxne fun

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
it's like zebraoffice with an L - my mum correcting my dad's pronunciation

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

it's like zebraoffice because it's rapidly going extinct

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
most beautiful ugly thing mlyp

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

this libreoffice with the new bar l00x TIGHT

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:gowron: look at that freakin Graph button (summoning POster Graph TTT (to this thread)) LMFAO

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that ruler

so

so redesigned

gently caress

guys i am sorry, i'm switching back. to LibreOffice.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've been enjoying the numbers + pages combo.

numbers isn't as robust as excel probably but it does everything i need which is sum things and stuff

the formula thing is awful though

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i still cant believe they actually renamed it to 'libre' lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
420 never forget

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every tendon in my hand locked up just thinking about using that thing for more than 8 minutes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've been enjoying the numbers + pages combo.

numbers isn't as robust as excel probably but it does everything i need which is sum things and stuff

the formula thing is awful though

idk, can u share em online & stuff? its the sharing features of google docws that makes it good for me also track changes and the various priv lvls u can give ppl like for inst i dont give fags or queers editing rights only view.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes

Smythe posted:

idk, can u share em online & stuff? its the sharing features of google docws that makes it good for me also track changes and the various priv lvls u can give ppl like for inst i dont give fags or queers editing rights only view.

theres an online version of pages/numbers fyi

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

with the realtime editing ya

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
IMG-TIMELINE
1985-1999 - StarOffice
1999-2009 - OpenOffice
2009-2015 - LibreOffice vs Oracle/Apache OpenOffice

libreoffice prob has code older than most yosposters

and theyve been trying to get an android app done but microsoft were first to market lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

yes

it just werks from the app now too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

yes

post it (rinteina res pls) aslo please post a graph from it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

new and improved!

now only sort of breaks your ooxml documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wtf is ooxml or w/.e

• Locked thread