Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
gently caress Kansas

That is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
With as good as Kansas played and as (correctably, I hope) bad as ISU played, this is actually sort of encouraging, as much as a loss can be anyway. Kansas was really sharp this game.

This ISU team really struggles with controlling the pace of the game in a way that plays to our strengths.

I will get my "bitch about the Big 12/KU refs" token in by reminding that this is the team that once (i) rebounded the first shot of a two-shot foul, (ii) ran down the court and hit an uncontested three, and (iii) was permitted to keep those points.

Ross fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 3, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

DornerHorse posted:

I'm with you. Maybe I'm letting the moment imprison me, but it just sucks to finally come out and say that for the first time in Freddy's career, his team took a step back from the year prior. It was inevitable at some point, but it still sucks. We're more talented than last year, but Kane and Ejim seemed mentally tougher than the new guys.

I'm not sure if we're more talented this year. Morris has improved big time but Niang is basically the same player as last year (a good player, but no real improvement). Ejim was according to the coaches the best player in the league last year, and Kane may have been second best. If I'm drafting for the NBA I'll take Wiggins and Embiid but if I'm building a college team I'll take Ejim and Kane.

The new guys this year (McKay, Nader, BDJ in spurts) are good but I don't think they add up to what Kane and Ejim gave us in terms of production last year. Melvin Ejim was a really good college player.

Jastiger posted:

When did this happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblPO0qijJA

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kiimo posted:

There is no such thing as Big 12 officials.

I'm convinced they are non-basketball fans who won raffles before the game.

College officiating in general isn't great (compared to say the NBA, which I guess is to be expected) but I feel like the Big 12 is a special breed of terrible. It's not just homerism either, I notice plenty of bad/wrong/inconsisent officiating in non-ISU Big 12 games as well.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

kiimo posted:

No, I mean like, there's no exclusive Big-12 group. There are some guys who do a lot of (okay mostly) Big 12 games but in general there's this belief out there that there is a group of officials that are employed by and exclusive to the Big 12.

and they protect Kansas

Are you certain of this?

There may not be guys who are assigned to only do Big 12 games and nothing else but I feel like it's the same group of guys doing most of the games, from radio broadcasts, box scores with the refs listed, things of that nature.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

rico gather's move to the basket is a chicken wing

Yes

TTU seems to have exhausted all their magic in the first game, thank God.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Probably Magic posted:

I'd just like to throw in here a reaffirmation of my eternal hatred for Jeff Van Gundy.

Quarantine him to NBA games please, ESPN.

Not sure I've ever heard him do a college game, is this new? I haven't caught many ESPN games this year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This has to be approaching a record of some sort, I haven't seen a blowout like this in a conference game in recent memory.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Jastiger posted:

Well I'm not happy about that. ISU champs. They won the tourney thing.

I seem to remember someone in the Big 10 pulling this stunt somewhat recently (winning the Big 10 tourney and strutting around calling themselves the Big 10 Champs the next year).

ISU would never stoop to such behavior.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Are there any special circumstances behind this performance or has Maryland just been a straight-up tire fire so far?

"You're on the road, get hosed" is sort of the way the Big 10 seems to go and Maryland has been sliding badly lately, but 40-17 wow.

Ross fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 8, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Iowa's one of those teams where it seems like if they play to their potential they could be in the game against anyone who's not Kentucky, but they rarely do it.

I like Fran but he kind of reminds me of Greg McDermott :barf: at ISU, decent coach in terms of Xs and Os (though Fran's substitution patterns baffle me at times) but not sure he can recruit the talent to Iowa needed to compete at the top of this league.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The pace of this ISU-OU game has been frantic.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Bit of a wet fart to close out but pretty good so far for ISU. Hard to expect to go into OU's arena and hammer them or something.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
If we could stop turning it over and giving up long rebounds and otherwise taking warm shits all over the floor that would be an improvement.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quandary posted:

Goddamn this game is so my poo poo. OU looks drat good right now

They have played practically flawless ball this entire second half.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Iowa State's biggest problem this year to me as that we're an atrocious rebounding team. I'm not sure if stats back this up but we seem to give up a tremendous number of offensive rebounds and almost every team in conference play has been crashing the glass hard against us.

In theory that strategy should play to one of our greatest strengths (fast-breaking or general up-tempo game) but that doesn't seem to be happening and we end up just giving the other team a ton of extra possessions.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Quinn Snyder was coach the last time I payed attention to Missouri.

That fucker Clarence Gilbert used to light the Cyclones up without fail.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This game has had some bizarre calls so far.

More than 50% have probably been in ISU's favor so I will refrain from further comment.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I'm sure officiating basketball at a high level is really hard but man these guys are bad.

Wrong call on ISU on one end (McKay shoved to the floor) followed by a wrong call on WVU on the other end ("illegal" screen).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OctoberBlues posted:

This is going about how I thought it would...

What do you think their NCAA bid chances are?

I think we're approaching the point where "10+ wins in a major conference = in" is not going to be true 95% of the time anymore, but I feel like 5-6 more wins (including BTT) and they are a lock, and looking at their schedule that seems pretty feasible barring a complete tire fire for the rest of the season.

Iowa's had a handful of nice wins and no real dreadful losses unless you think losing @ #6 WIS by 30 is a season-sinker. I guess the MSU loss is kind of bad.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Northwestern is doing their best to make this plan fall into place.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Iowa-based teams seem to have trouble winning in the building of the worst team in their conference this year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
TCU tries to force a slow pace (I assume that's what's happening here) but scoring 15 points in a half is an embarrassment.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Please post more about the important ISU-OSU game and less about this irrelevant ACC game.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
What did Okafor do?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Meltathon posted:

Seems like McKay is drawing fouls like crazy, but OSU has spread out the fouls so no one is in any serious foul trouble.

They're getting there now, they've got 7 (and Nash just got his third) and there's quite a bit of game left still.

Fortunately for them we keep missing front ends!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Jameel McKay fears no man or beast this game.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Thoguh posted:

Gallagher Iba is loud for how empty it looks.

The radio broadcast has been hard to hear, there's a bunch of loud fans seemingly near ISU's guys.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Niang is still a really good player but he doesn't seem to have improved much since last year. Or maybe he has and defenses are keying in on him more now.

I was expecting him to be a Naismith-type guy this year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Maybe TCU will win @ Kansas!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Texas is blocking all our poo poo.

Who the gently caress is this Yancy guy?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Good little spurt there by ISU to close the first half.

Our starters could not play much worse so hopefully the second half will result in an improvement.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Thoguh posted:

I don't know if ISU has shot this well from 3 a single other game all season.

This would be a massacre if the traditional "some nobody averaging 5 pts/gm goes off for a career high against ISU" wasn't taking place.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Is Texas fouling already?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
ISU 9/18 on free throws :bravo:

This loving Yancy guy :psyduck:

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
They've deliberately fouled on nearly every possession since the 4:00 mark.

I realize this is a viable and legal strategy but it's just loving irritating and oh so boring.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I think our D has been pretty decent overall this game actually. Taylor and Yancy have hit some really tough shots.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Now it is time to cheer for Purple-Texas.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Grittybeard posted:

Orders came down for these refs at half in Lawrence. I say while barely paying attention to this game but there's no evening up fouls going on here at least.

I'm just looking at the box score but it's sort of impressive that it's this close with KU shooting 60% and TCU shooting 40%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Probably Magic posted:

Maybe not.

Go Wolfpack, eke out a tourney appearance.

You're not showing much confidence in your team by waiting until the game is over to make your :smug: post.

• Locked thread