Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Lookie what we gots:

quote:

Rowdies Den sports bar to debut in downtown St. Petersburg

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/food/dining/rowdies-den-sports-bar-to-debut-in-downtown-st-petersburg/2223456

When Midtown Sundries closed abruptly in November, rumors began to swirl: It would become a steakhouse, a Tilted Kilt, Bill Edwards' next downtown project. This last rumor turned out to be true, and on Saturday the Rowdies Den debuts, just in time for his North American Soccer League team's first game of the season. It's an away game in San Antonio, Texas, but Tampa Bay Rowdies fever will run high at 200 First Ave. S, with members of Ralph's Mob and teammates who aren't in San Antonio in attendance.

Vaguely NASL-related clickbait:

quote:

Klinsmann may not be the right person for USMNT job, says Thomas Rongen

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/03/30/klinsmann-may-not-be-the-right-person-for-usmnt-job-says-thomas-rongen/

Rolleyes... :rolleyes:

quote:

Commissioner Bill Peterson believes Minnesota United’s MLS move further legitimizes NASL

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/03/believes-minnesota-legitimizes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As USL looks for Division 2 certification, NASL looks for Division 1 certification
-Some soccer version of Clickhole

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

New Rowdies kits:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/04/01/rowdies-unveil-2015-nike-kits-at-season-kickoff-party

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Season tickets have arrived! Why can't Indy be at home the first week, ugh. At least ESPN3 should be good quality streaming.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

camoseven posted:

Season tickets have arrived! Why can't Indy be at home the first week, ugh. At least ESPN3 should be good quality streaming.
RealPlayer would be better than what the NASL live client was running at times last year.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
We're on a plane. #bigtime

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Reek posted:

When a whole team flies together like that they get orange slices for an in-flight snack.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Reek posted:

A plane...to Tulsa. Couldn't they just rent a bus or two?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Meh. I like the hooped jersey and socks; the others not so much. Rowdies kit should have the green and yellow hooped sleeves and socks; a plain shirt and plain socks is just un-Rowdies, IMO. I'm told that the first year kit from Nike (or "Nyk" as the Brits say) are always generic, so maybe something better next time.

Apparently it was a very impressive and professionally done presentation at the Mahaffey Theater. Mr. Edwards does everything first class.

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies Unveil 2015 Nike Jerseys, Host Kickoff Party

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/tampa-bay-rowdies-unveil-2015-nike-jerseys-host-kickoff-party/

No Rowdies caps here or caps for any other NASL team that has its own deal prior to this one between NASL and New Era:

quote:

New Era Becomes North American Soccer League’s Official Cap Partner

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/04/01/new-era-becomes-north-american-soccer-leagues-official-cap-partner

Opinion piece from the unused subs:

quote:

2015 May be a Watershed Year For Professional Soccer in Florida

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2015/04/01/2015-may-be-a-watershed-year-for-professional-soccer-in-florida/

Could I become a Powerball winner and multi-millionaire? I wouldn't be against it.

I actually would be in favor of someone reviving the Chicago Sting - but it needs to be a billionaire or a very rich owners consortium, though. Fan-run teams are very unlikely to make the professional NASL level any time soon.

quote:

Could the North American Soccer League eventually return to Chicago? The league’s commissioner wouldn’t be against it.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/fire/7/71/489624/nasl-commissioner-open-chicago-return

He's dead, Jim.

quote:

NASL: Virginia Cavalry on ice, but not dead, as “anonymous” ownership group gathers

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/pro/nasl/nasl-virginia-cavalry-on-ice-but-not-dead-as-anonymous-ownership-group-gathers

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

CaptainYesterday posted:

A plane...to Tulsa. Couldn't they just rent a bus or two?

maybe if we were small time.. we've made it bro

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I am watching Carolina vs Ottawa on ESPN3 and it is pretty great!! I didn't realize you needed a cable subscription to watch it, though, and I think that's pretty stupid. I have cable so it doesn't affect me, but it seems stupid to go from a subscription based model to a "you have to have cable" model.

Also that Carolina goal was sweet! Ottawa defense looks quite bad so far.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Hahaha what an awesome end to this game. I wish they would show a replay of that uncalled foul and all the arguing that must have happened. I love how the keeper immediately started sprinted upfield toward the ref after that goal was scored.

e: hahahahaha holy poo poo this loving ref is amazingly bad

camoseven fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 4, 2015

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

camoseven posted:

Hahaha what an awesome end to this game. I wish they would show a replay of that uncalled foul and all the arguing that must have happened. I love how the keeper immediately started sprinted upfield toward the ref after that goal was scored.

e: hahahahaha holy poo poo this loving ref is amazingly bad

Totally lost control at the end. Typical.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

King of False Promises posted:

Totally lost control at the end. Typical.
He ran seven minutes of a called four minutes of stoppage time in the second half :lol:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
How did Mark Geiger go from reffing the World Cup and MLS Cup to reffing Indy vs Atlanta? Is that a normal thing that happens with PRO?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

camoseven posted:

How did Mark Geiger go from reffing the World Cup and MLS Cup to reffing Indy vs Atlanta? Is that a normal thing that happens with PRO?

The Icarus of American Ref's... flew to close to the sun and his wings burned, then he fell from grace.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

camoseven posted:

It's nice to pair a good center referee with newer (less experienced) assistant referees in a less intense environment. PRO assigns to both leagues, so why not have an easy week?

I'd love to see how some PRO referees handle Sunday morning kids' games.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Good turnout in Jacksonville, 16,000, and in Ft. Lauderdale, 11,000. Will be interesting to see if the good attendance numbers holds up throughout the league as the season unfolds. Always easier to get a good opening day attendance but not as easy to keep them coming back. Ft. Lauderdale is definitely showing an improvement; hopefully their new owners know what they are doing and aren't just another bunch of wacky foreign owners with no clue about local conditions like we have seen too many times before.

Rowdies beat the Scorpions 3-1 in San Antonio. My MLS team the Revs won too; must be my lucky day (checks Power Ball numbers): nope, I'm still a working stiff. :(

Reading more about the Rowdies Den, looks good, will have to visit it if/when I am in St. Pete:

http://www.ilovetheburg.com/article/10-Reasons-Rowdies-Den-Is-More-Than-What-Youd-Expect-/4799

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 5, 2015

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

The Rowdies are looking great, I'm bringing two buddies with me to Al Lang on the 11th. Can't wait.

Do over Ham posted:

My MLS team the Revs

Our US soccer fandom aligns exactly

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Diplomat posted:

The Rowdies are looking great, I'm bringing two buddies with me to Al Lang on the 11th. Can't wait.

I'll be there. Very excited! Need to get my season tickets this week.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The first two rounds of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup have been announced, so everyone from USL on down click here to find out who you're playing. The thread for that and the Canadian Championship will go up in a few weeks.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Looks like the Rowdies will sell out. All GA tickets are gone. Only tickets left are in the Mob section, and they've opened those up to the public (with a warning that it's a standing section).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Ottawa forward Oliver Minatel was attacked by another passenger on their flight to Atlanta for this weekend's game. Very random and bizarre.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oliver-minatel-ottawa-soccer-player-attacked-on-air-canada-jazz-plane-1.3028921

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

trem_two posted:

Ottawa forward Oliver Minatel was attacked by another passenger on their flight to Atlanta for this weekend's game. Very random and bizarre.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oliver-minatel-ottawa-soccer-player-attacked-on-air-canada-jazz-plane-1.3028921
I feel like "attacked" in all of the headlines really doesn't do this justice. Dude tried to loving strangle him with a cord.

Because he thought Minatel was an assassin sent to kill him mid-flight.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Looks like the Rowdies will sell out. All GA tickets are gone. Only tickets left are in the Mob section, and they've opened those up to the public (with a warning that it's a standing section).

We stand for Soller! :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm sure this thread could do without Cascadian dick waving, but tonight is the first meeting between Timbers 2 & Sounders 2 at 7:30. I'm excited because T2 are pretty fun to watch, but the Thorns play at 7.

Wait, it's actually pretty rad that I will be able to stream concurrent matches.

Also, I'm a big fan of Ralph's Mob. Spent some quality time with those folks when they played the Timbers in the USOC 2 years ago.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Video quality on ESPN is very good. Much better than previous NASL online streaming.

The refurbished Al Lang looks fantastic.

Those kids really like running up and down on the berm.

Scoreless at the half between the Rowdies and the Loons.

Edit: well that was frustrating. So many golden chances for the Rowdies but no goals. Another 0-0 tie for my teams today.

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 12, 2015

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

highme posted:

Also, I'm a big fan of Ralph's Mob. Spent some quality time with those folks when they played the Timbers in the USOC 2 years ago.

I was there! That was a great trip.

Tying Minnesota is not a bad result. Ref wasn't great. Still top of the table, though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, the Aztex are doing a special 'proof you liked the Aztex before they were cool' thing for season ticket buyers, and I'm unemployed. If only I was secure :smith:

awyeahz
Aug 21, 2005

~*~BeDtImE~4~B0NZ0~*~
Sergio Pena scored from 45 yards out to beat the Scorps. He's attempted that shot in every game and its always way off the mark but it worked tonight and now Eleven are in second place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY5a6IH4D90

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

awyeahz posted:

Sergio Pena scored from 45 yards out to beat the Scorps. He's attempted that shot in every game and its always way off the mark but it worked tonight and now Eleven are in second place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY5a6IH4D90

That was a heartbreaker.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Looking to go to a few Pittsburgh Riverhounds games this season, they've been fun in the past.

The hounds look to be doing alright so far this year as well!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Well, what a ko-inky-dink; Garber is talking about more MLS expansion, and Bill Edwards (via his intermediary, Thomas Rongen) is talking about the Rowdies going to MLS:

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2015/04/24/thomas-rongen-says-rowdies-owner-wants-mls-considering-forming-academies-abroad/

(Nice socks, Bill! But the traditional Rowdies green and yellow socks are hooped, not vertical striped. Oh well.)

Going to MLS is mentioned in passing in the Rongen interview, and Edwards hasn't talked much about MLS directly, but this isn't the first time that one of Edwards' associates/employees has talked about the Rowdies going to MLS. So I think this is unofficially-officially a thing.

Anyway the interview is mostly about stuff Rongen might be directly involved in: youth academies, including possibly a Rowdies youth academy in a foreign country, such as Portugal, in partnership with an overseas club.

Also in an earlier interview just before the Rowdies home opener, Bill Edwards mentions expanding the existing Al Lang facility to 18,000 to 20,000 seats at a cost of 40 to 60 million dollars:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/28764450/rowdies-hope-fans-fill-seats-at-revamped-al-lang-stadium

He says they did an overlay on the existing site and "it would fit"...I assume that means expanding the existing structure as is, rather than tearing down Al Lang and building from scratch with a reoriented pitch. The pitch at Al Lang is poorly oriented; building around the existing pitch would be rather odd, but I suppose it might work. Building by expanding Al Lang would be cheaper and could be done in stages without forcing the Rowdies to play elsewhere for a year or two, I suppose, so that option does have some advantages over tearing down Al Lang and rebuilding from scratch.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Well, that was certainly a game. We let Armada have possession in the first half, but then we finally realized we shouldn't do that. We were really lucky that they love short corners for some reason. I think they only took one normally.

Oh, and Matt Pickens coming and having the game of his life helped a lot, too.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Got home in time to see the last 15 minutes on ESPNGO, Good thing Santos was feeling okay enough to stay on. I hope Kamil is okay, but it's a good thing Pickens is our backup. He could be starting at other teams in the league.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Well, that was certainly a game. We let Armada have possession in the first half, but then we finally realized we shouldn't do that. We were really lucky that they love short corners for some reason. I think they only took one normally.

Oh, and Matt Pickens coming and having the game of his life helped a lot, too.

I am enjoying some of the highlights videos posted on Facebook. Good game.

While you guys were watching that I was at Gillette watching the Revs dismantle RSL 4-0. Former Rowdie Luke Mulholland was on the pitch for RSL.

Three old-NASL names now top the new NASL table!

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What did you Scorp fans think of that last PK call? Highlights show he made contact with ball first albeit hard into the man.

Unless it was a make-up call for a missed call earlier (which MN's PK definitely was), I don't see how it is a PK to Scorps as those situations should favor keeper. It may have been hard to see on field but replay is pretty clear.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

c0ldfuse posted:

What did you Scorp fans think of that last PK call? Highlights show he made contact with ball first albeit hard into the man.

Unless it was a make-up call for a missed call earlier (which MN's PK definitely was), I don't see how it is a PK to Scorps as those situations should favor keeper. It may have been hard to see on field but replay is pretty clear.
The replay showed it was a bad call, but honestly during live action it looked like he missed the punch and hit the man in the head and the ball had just taken a hard bounce off one of the two.

Also, that Tsiskaridze free kick :stare:

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Crazy Ted posted:

The replay showed it was a bad call, but honestly during live action it looked like he missed the punch and hit the man in the head and the ball had just taken a hard bounce off one of the two.

Also, that Tsiskaridze free kick :stare:

People are getting after N'jock for a reason, but that ball could not have been better placed. Even if he was another 5-10 yards back it'd be a hard shot to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

c0ldfuse posted:

It all evens out in the end.

• Locked thread