Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...74-d4ae52724810

NEW YORK (May 27, 2015) - In light of the ongoing investigation announced by the U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday, the North American Soccer League's Board of Governors has suspended Chairperson Aaron Davidson, along with all business activities between the league and Traffic Sports, effective immediately. Commissioner Bill Peterson will serve as acting Chairperson.

The Carolina RailHawks, the sole NASL club owned by Traffic Sports, will continue to operate in the ordinary course of business. The club's management team will continue to manage the day-to-day operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
At the Lou FC / St Louis game. This Mike Magee kid for StL seems bad and I don't think he'll amount to anything.

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 31, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Do over Ham posted:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact...74-d4ae52724810

NEW YORK (May 27, 2015) - In light of the ongoing investigation announced by the U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday, the North American Soccer League's Board of Governors has suspended Chairperson Aaron Davidson, along with all business activities between the league and Traffic Sports, effective immediately. Commissioner Bill Peterson will serve as acting Chairperson.

The Carolina RailHawks, the sole NASL club owned by Traffic Sports, will continue to operate in the ordinary course of business. The club's management team will continue to manage the day-to-day operations.
They sure put that distraction behind them on the field. The Railhawks were up 4-0 at Jacksonville at halftime :stare:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Presented, without comment:

e: Actually, I should comment on this. There were three stoppage time goals by Pittsburgh.

e2: gently caress, just watch the insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zJ6qYb2C8c&t=6840s

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 31, 2015

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Paddyb posted:

At the Lou FC / St Louis game. This Mike Magee kid for StL seems bad and I don't think he'll amount to anything.

he was real bad op. unlike the team that had a tiny little Englishman feeding a big Serb and an American, talk about a proper strike force imo

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Presented, without comment:

e: Actually, I should comment on this. There were three stoppage time goals by Pittsburgh.

e2: gently caress, just watch the insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zJ6qYb2C8c&t=6840s

Insane! I was at the match, and that stoppage time was absurd and awesome. Certainly the best Riverhounds game I've seen.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

he was real bad op. unlike the team that had a tiny little Englishman feeding a big Serb and an American, talk about a proper strike force imo
I have no idea what to make of this or soccer in general but I was also at that game and had a lot of fun there and following Louisville this season.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://www.statesman.com/news/business/sports-entertainment-venue-planned-near-austin-air/nmSTG/?ecmp=statesman_social_facebook_2014_sfp

quote:

[Douglas] Coors, whose relatives started Colorado-based Coors Brewing Co., is set to be in Austin Thursday to announce a “major sports venue” funded entirely by private investment, according to a news release issued Monday.

Very interesting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The New York Cosmos are playing the Cuban MNT on ESPN2 RIGHT NOW!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

CaptainYesterday posted:

The New York Cosmos are playing the Cuban MNT on ESPN2 RIGHT NOW!

Yeah they were selling all inclusive roundtrip with the team specials. I considered going but it was too short of notice.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Carolina's supporters group is calling for the NASL to take over operations of the team, since Traffic Sports runs it.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

http://www.strikers.com/news/2015/05/23/president-tim-robbie-leaving-club

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Thursday, May 21, 2015) – The Fort Lauderdale Strikers today announced that long-time club employee and current President Tim Robbie is resigning his post with the team. Robbie’s last match as an employee will be this evening’s contest between the Strikers and Carolina RailHawks at Lockhart Stadium. His last day will be next week.

quote:

http://www.strikers.com/news/2015/06/07/strikers-announce-technical-staff-changes

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Sunday, June 7, 2015) – The Fort Lauderdale Strikers today announced that Soccer Director Andre Chaves and Head Coach Marcelo Neveleff have resigned their positions with the club. Additionally, Assistant Coach Ricardo Lopes has been relieved of his duties. All three changes are effective immediately. Strikers Managing Partner Ricardo Geromel made the announcement.

Defender Iván Guerrero, in his third year with the Strikers, will coach the team on an interim basis Saturday in the NASL Spring Season finale at Minnesota United FC. Guerrero, who has made eight starts in 2015, will remain on the player roster.

The club’s search for a new head coach will begin immediately. Fort Lauderdale kicks off the NASL Fall Season on Wednesday, July 8, at the Carolina RailHawks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well I see the new guys have all the patience of a typical Brazilian club team ownership group too.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Carmelo Anthony is starting a new NASL team in Puerto Rico. Cool! I think.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Didn't recognize Raul with his short haircut and beard. Also cosmos are dominating the Floridians.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Big Rowdies announcement tomorrow; some kind of partnership deal with Sao Paulo FC:

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205103052868337&set=a.3489068577811.2144771.1004345945&type=1

Tweet:

Unused Substitutes

Rowdies FO spent last week in Brazil as guests of Sao Paulo FC. The club has also scheduled a press conference at Al Lang tomorrow.

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoopedSleeve/photos/a.432443290263546.1073741828.430087723832436/442124422628766/?type=1

The Hooped Sleeve

**DEVELOPING STORY** ‪#‎Rowdies‬ have scheduled a press conference for Tomorrow (Tues, June 23) at Al Lang Stadium. Based on news coming from Brazil, announcement will apparently involve some sort of partnership with Brazilian powerhouse, São Paulo FC....We should know more by Tomorrow.

São Paulo FC are no strangers to Tampa Bay. They played a friendly vs the Rowdies at Tampa Stadium back in 1982. The Brazilians edged the Green & Gold, 3-2.

quote:

https://translate.google.com/transl...it-text&act=url

From Google Translate:

Ronaldo's team rivals the US visit Morumbi and the CT tricolor

The agenda of the board of São Paulo had special schedule for this week. Led by the Department of International Relations Club, the Tricolor summit in São Paulo received the visit of the delegation of a US football team the Tampa Bay Rowdies, headquartered in Florida.

On Tuesday, representatives of the American team were received by Petro to know the Morumbi and were even treated to a dinner at one of restuanrates the stadium. With a full week on Brazilian soil, the foreign delegation also reserved the fourth to keep better knowing the structure of São Paulo.

On Wednesday, for example, the delegation went to CT Barra Funda for lunch and then closely monitor the work of the professional football department of the Sao Paulo club. After lunch, Americans should follow the training led by Colombian coach Juan Carlos Osorio.

The relationship between São Paulo and Tampa Bay is not new. In the 1980s, the clubs have reached partnership exchange of players. Tatu, athlete of the same generation of Milton Cruz, current tricolor technical coordinator, was involved in the agreement at the time. Milton, including, also played in the US, but defending the colors of Dallas Tornado.

The Tampa Bay Rowdies dispute the NASL (North American Soccer League), the second largest soccer tournament in the United States. The biggest rival of the Rowdies is the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, a club that will face Ponte Preta on Saturday in a friendly in Campinas, and has Léo Moura and as the star Ronaldo as one of the owners.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Leo Moura apparently used the start of the Fort Lauderdale Strikers' trip to Brazil as a chance to do some backdoor negotiations with a Brazilian Serie A team and then ask to leave the Strikers. I'm sure they love that.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

The Rowdies have partnered with Sao Paolo FC: http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/06/23/tampa-bay-rowdies-and-brazilian-powerhouse-so-paulo-fc-announce-international-partnership

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fort Lauderdale just admitted their mistake and rehired Gunther Kronsteiner.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

There's been an update of sorts on this Canadian league thing that seems like it should be vaporware but keeps moving on instead:

Canadian Soccer News posted:

Benito Floro was supposed to be talking about the Gold Cup.

And, he did. The Canadian coach hit all the right points in his 30 min pre-tournament address to reporters tonight – he is confident in his team, believes they can make the semis, isn’t insane (i.e. acknowledges that winning it is unlikely. Except, you know, sports), thinks getting to next year’s Copa América Centenario is important and, etc., etc., etc.

But, what he really wanted to talk about was a Canadian league. On three separate occasions he brought a question about something else into a speech about how Canada needs its own league.
“I consider MLS to be a foreign league,” was one bomb he dropped into the middle of the conversation. “It seems like we’re working for the American program sometimes,” another.

The statements mirrored those made by Victor Montagliani and Peter Montopoli at the closing press conference of the Women’s World Cup – served up a question that would have allowed them to talk up the 2026 World Cup bid they instead insisted on talking about taking care of “internal” needs first. Chief among them were governance reform and creating a league of our own.

In the spring, CSN reported the details of the creation of a Canadian league. At that time some things were still up in the air, but it was clear that the project was going ahead. Summer 2017 is the target.

Since then, CSN has learned a few more details. Key to proponents of a Canadian league is a strong domestic quota. There will be one – the figure being whispered is 70%.

Financial backing is another key area. As previously reported, there will be significant CFL involvement in the league. CSN has also heard that at least one team will have owners that have at least a minority stake in the NHL.

The league’s business model will be based on SUM – with owners sharing revenue and working together to market and grow the league. It’s thought that each team will be required to work with a $3-million budget. It was unclear whether that was total, or the salary cap. Realistically, that’s likely the total budget, which would suggest a salary cap around $1-million to $1.5-million to start.

It’s expected that the league will launch with eight teams. No one is willing to confirm what cities will be involved, but CSN has been told that investors feel it’s important to launch with teams in the three biggest markets.

They want teams in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. And they want to copy the format of MLS. lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

There's been an update of sorts on this Canadian league thing that seems like it should be vaporware but keeps moving on instead:

They want teams in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. And they want to copy the format of MLS. lol

I know of three teams that would jump at the chance!

Whitecaps FC 2, Toronto FC II, and FC Montreal

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...in?ICID=HP_BN_1

Sources: Freddy Adu leaves Finnish club to pursue options in MLS and NASL

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Do over Ham posted:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...in?ICID=HP_BN_1

Sources: Freddy Adu leaves Finnish club to pursue options in MLS and NASL

Apparently he's close to signing with the Rowdies: https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/619652670559813633

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

It makes sense. I had a feeling that Adu would end up with the Rowdies this past winter when his Facebook mentioned he was visiting friends in Tampa. Then he went off to Finland and ended up on the reserve team in their fourth division. Now he's coming back to the USA; Rongen has been hinting about Adu signing with the Rowdies; Rongen coached Adu on the US youth team; if anyone can get something out of Adu, Rongen can. If he can't turn it around I don't see how Adu can have much of a career left at this point.

This might generate a little bit of buzz for the Rowdies, though what with the limited size of Al Lang they can't sell many more tickets. But I still run into non-soccer people who only know of two players connected with MLS: Adu and Beckham. These are the type of people who don't even know that NASL exists. So Adu does still have some name recognition among non-fans; they mostly don't know about Adu's dud career. Rowdies PR people might be able to put that to some good use.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Do we have any Carolina fans on here? Cause y'all can suck my diiiiiiiiick INDY ELEVEN SUPREMACY, BITCHES

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
That was like watching the Scorps last year. Very nice.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
I am a Carolina fan and I will not be sucking any dicks. Nice win for Indy though.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Julius James broke his leg last night. And unfortunately they showed it in slow mo on the big screen. Twice. It was very obvious he broke it. :(

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Suqit posted:

Julius James broke his leg last night. And unfortunately they showed it in slow mo on the big screen. Twice. It was very obvious he broke it. :(
I saw on Twitter last night the team said he broke his leg in multiple places :gonk:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

And it's official! http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/07/14/rowdies-bolster-attack-with-signing-of-midfielderforward-freddy-adu

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoopedSleeve/photos/a.433413990166476.1073741829.430087723832436/453278478180027/?type=1&pnref=story

Steve Goff

@SoccerInsider

Hearing Tampa Bay Rowdies' offer to much-traveled Freddy Adu is ~ $3,5000 per month for remainder of NASL season with no guarantees.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, in the PDL, the mighty Mississippi Brilla FC has become a victim of its own onfield success:

quote:

A message from Rusty Bryant, Brilla Executive Director.

Good news! Mississippi Brilla FC has qualified for the playoffs! The first two rounds will take place NEXT weekend (July 24-25) at a location TBD.

That location could very well be right here in Clinton, MS! We will know for sure on Saturday night, but we could know as soon as this evening after the result of another game in our division. We have a 50/50 chance of hosting. This could be a GREAT event for our area, but it will take a lot of work next week to pull it off if we earn the right to host.

Obviously, there are unexpected expenses that will occur now that we have made the playoffs, whether we host or travel. We estimate that our playoff expenses, whether we host or travel, will be around $7500. So, we need playoff sponsors!

Should we be awarded the right to host, we are offering 3 simple sponsorship options:
Southern Conference Championship Title Sponsor - $1000
Southern Conference Championship Presenting Sponsor - $500
Southern Conference Championship Sponsor - $100

There will be 3 games played in the Southern Conference Championship - two semi-final matches on Friday, July 24 and the conference championship on Saturday, July 25. All sponsors will receive tickets as well as appropriate recognition through promotional materials, game day signage, PA announcements, and live streaming.

In the event that we travel for the first 2 round of the playoffs, we will still be in need of sponsors to help with the costs (bus, hotels, meals). Please remember that all contributions to Brilla Soccer Ministries may be tax-deductible as we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit ministry.

Please pray about how you can help us next weekend, and let me know ASAP! I will keep you posted on the location of the playoffs!

Will America's favorite Christian outreach program masquerading as an amateur soccer team be able to continue shining their light to the PDL world?! Stay tuned and send money

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Enjoyed my first visit to St. Pete in nearly 35 years and my first in person chance to watch the new era Tampa Bay Rowdies; unfortunately they lost 0-1 to the Eddies. Sat next to a couple from Detroit area; they were Detroit City FC fans.

The Al Lang site is a wonderful location, but I kept getting reminded of basic faults in the current site layout. For instance I chose my seat online, as high up as I could get, as close to midfield as I could get, but what the online seating map does not tell you is that there are two thick light poles partially blocking the view of the southern goal from that seat. So I spent some time moving my head back and forth when the poles where in the way, trying to set a line of sight. No way to eliminate these kinds of problems without tearing down the existing structure, reorienting the field properly for soccer, and building a new SSS from scratch.

Anyway, St. Pete downtown is a nice walkable urban location with lots to do. I could see an MLS level SSS working there in spite of it being on the wrong side of the bay bridge.

Oh and Freddy Adu was there but he was not suited up. He's only had a few practice sessions so far with his new teammates.

Oh yeah and there's this, at 1:16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60L2iCrX7RY&feature=youtu.be

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2015

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Should've let me know you were around. It was a disappointing game for sure, though.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Indy Eleven with their worst performance since Tim Regan took over as coach. Awful defending, stupid fouls, and I think our keeper was asleep the whole time. Can't wait to crush the Cosmos next week!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

camoseven posted:

Indy Eleven with their worst performance since Tim Regan took over as coach. Awful defending, stupid fouls, and I think our keeper was asleep the whole time. Can't wait to crush the Cosmos next week!!
That was a :stare: game. Ottawa had eight goals all year going into today, so naturally they scored four times.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

King of False Promises posted:

Should've let me know you were around. It was a disappointing game for sure, though.

Last minute decision on my part to swing down to St. Pete on my vacation; not well planned on my part and yeah, very disappointing game.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

They used a helicopter to try to dry off the field at Al Lang before last Saturday's game; crazy stuff (video on Facebook). Really should have a full roof over the field as well as the stands, crazy amount of rain in Florida. Even if it does not rain during the match, the pitch is still awash. Can't drain fast enough.

Adu started as a late sub, showed some flashes of brilliance, Rowdies still lost to the Strikers.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

camoseven posted:

Indy Eleven with their worst performance since Tim Regan took over as coach.

once he played a game for TFC because we literally couldn't field a team otherwise

this has been your daily Tim Regan fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Little late, but Haji Wright made his debut at the Indy Eleven game on Saturday. He looks like he has the potential to be very, very good, so it was cool to see that in person. I can't believe he's only 17. Also, I hope Indy and the Cosmos continue to draw against each other forever and ever.

I also just found out that I am traveling to NYC next week for work, and I want to catch the Cosmos game on Sunday. I'll be staying in the city without a car, but it looks like taking the LIRR and getting a shuttle from Mineola isn't that difficult. Has anyone on here done that? Is the shuttle pretty reliable?

• Locked thread