Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

:ohdearsass:

quote:

Scorpions out as work begins to bring new soccer team to SA

County approves Spurs Sports & Entertainment's lease of Toyota Field

http://www.ksat.com/news/scorpions-out-as-work-begins-to-bring-new-soccer-team-to-sa

SAN ANTONIO - In a special meeting Monday, Bexar County commissioners approved the lease agreement allowing Spurs Sports and Entertainment to operate Toyota Field as it works to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to San Antonio.

The city of San Antonio and Bexar County agreed to pay $9 million each to purchase Toyota Field.

“Once that's done, that’s just the very beginning because the only reason we're doing this is to go after Major League Soccer,” Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said.

The San Antonio Scorpions of the the North American Soccer League that used to call Toyota Field home will do so no longer.

Spurs Sports and Entertainment now begins the process of bringing a new team to town which will likely be part of the United Soccer League.

The USL is said to have a closer working relationship with MLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Rip San Antonio Scorps. I loved you and then you died.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Suqit posted:

Rip San Antonio Scorps. I loved you and then you died.

quote:

United Soccer League franchise coming to San Antonio

Scorpions future presently unknown

http://www.ksat.com/sports/united-soccer-league-franchise-coming-to-san-antonio[/url]

SAN ANTONIO - When minor league soccer begins in San Antonio in 2016, it will be a different team in a different league taking the pitch.

Spurs Sports & Entertainment, alongside Bexar County leaders, announced Tuesday that they will be bringing a United Soccer League franchise to San Antonio. The announcement was made at a press conference held at Toyota Field, the former home of the Scorpions and the new home of the still-unnamed USL team.

The deal is part of a collaborative effort by the city, county and SS&E to pursue bringing Major League Soccer to the Alamo City. Supporters say the USL is a better route to the MLS than the North American Soccer League, in which the Scorpions played.

"Supporters" say that, do they?

quote:

SA To Get United Soccer League Franchise In 2016

http://tpr.org/post/sa-get-united-soccer-league-franchise-2016#stream/0

Spurs Sports & Entertainment announced today that it has reached an agreement with Bexar County and the City of San Antonio to operate a soccer franchise at Toyota Field in 2016.

The deal is part of a collaborative effort by the city, county and SS&E to pursue bringing Major League Soccer, MLS, to the Alamo City. Toyota Field was purchased by the City of San Antonio and Bexar County for $18 million. As part of the agreement, Spurs Sports & Entertainment has donated $3 million to Morgan’s Wonderland. SS&E agreed to a 20-year lease to run all operations within Toyota Field, while also pursuing an MLS franchise. SS&E plans to operate a United Soccer League, or USL, franchise in 2016. The league is comprised of successful independent teams as well as MLS-owned and operated franchises. Five of the last seven new MLS franchises played in the USL. “This deal wouldn’t be possible without the incredible support from both the City of San Antonio and Bexar County,” said Rick Pych, Spurs Sports & Entertainment President of Business Operations, in a press release. “We are very excited to continue the growth of soccer in San Antonio, and we plan to operate a USL franchise as part of a proven path to Major League Soccer. We look forward to bringing the highest level of soccer to San Antonio.” “The City and County’s purchase of Toyota Field is the first step toward bringing a Major League Soccer team to San Antonio,” said Mayor Ivy R. Taylor. “Spurs Sports & Entertainment is recognized as one of the best professional sports businesses and we are fortunate to have them as a partner in this effort. Today’s announcement marks significant progress toward achieving our shared goal.” A team website has been established at USLSanAntonio.com. ​Fans can also follow the newest professional franchise Twitter at @USLSanAntonio and on Facebook by liking USL San Antonio. The team name along with a club crest and jersey design will be announced in the near future.

They are really pushing this "USL is the route to MLS" line pretty hard, and ignoring the fact that most of those USL teams were part of the old TOA rebellion against the USL which lead to the creation of the NASL and/or they left USL before the NASL even existed. Only Orlando went straight from USL to MLS.

And this one is really a bit premature:

quote:

San Antonio Spurs’ Owner Lands M.L.S. Lease

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/23/sports/soccer/san-antonio-spurs-owner-lands-mls-lease.html?_r=0

Spurs Sports & Entertainment, the owner of the San Antonio Spurs, announced an agreement for a 20-year lease to operate a Major League Soccer franchise at Toyota Field starting in 2016.

:stare:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

http://www.nasl.com/news/2015/12/22/nasl-releases-statement-on-san-antonio-scorpions

The North American Soccer League (NASL) released a statement on Tuesday regarding the future of the San Antonio Scorpions.

San Antonio Scorpions owner Gordon Hartman informed the NASL that his business transaction with the City of San Antonio, Bexar County, and Spurs Sports and Entertainment has resulted in the sale of Toyota Field and S.T.A.R. Soccer Complex. The NASL is working with Hartman to determine the future of the San Antonio Scorpions.

We are proud that the NASL has been able to make a significant contribution to the special needs community and the league is grateful to the fans of San Antonio for their support.

Every sports league in North America has experienced turnover in its early stages and the NASL is fortunate to have a group of owners and league officials that has a tremendous understanding of how to work through change. Ownership and investment interest is at an all-time high, and we expect to be a 20-team league in the near future.

The 2016 NASL schedule will be released in early January, and it will feature the league’s three newest clubs - Miami FC, Puerto Rico FC, and Rayo OKC - which will each kick off their inaugural season next year.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

NASL Notes: Armada Turn to Europe, Dalglish Recruits Former Players for Ottawa, more

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/dalglish-recruits-players-43300/

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Do over Ham posted:

"Supporters" say that, do they?

They are really pushing this "USL is the route to MLS" line pretty hard, and ignoring the fact that most of those USL teams were part of the old TOA rebellion against the USL which lead to the creation of the NASL and/or they left USL before the NASL even existed. Only Orlando went straight from USL to MLS.

And this one is really a bit premature:

:stare:

Yeah. I hope the tickets are cheap. I didn't mind paying a bunch when the proceeds went to charity. But I guess I should trust the Spurs since they run the best franchise in sports.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
So if I understand this, there was a team and then a faceless sportocorp bought their stadium and because of that they have ceased to exist for ~reasons~ instead of just finding somewhere else to play? And then said corporation is going to parachute their own made up team into the stadium like some kind of demented football cuckoo? And the fans of the old team are expected to support this new team? Why didn't they just buy the old team?

Just get promotion and relegation already ffs.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Blue Star Error posted:

So if I understand this, there was a team and then a faceless sportocorp bought their stadium and because of that they have ceased to exist for ~reasons~ instead of just finding somewhere else to play? And then said corporation is going to parachute their own made up team into the stadium like some kind of demented football cuckoo? And the fans of the old team are expected to support this new team? Why didn't they just buy the old team?

Just get promotion and relegation already ffs.

There's a little more to it then that. The original team was created to support a specific charity. They were never going to MLS. The Spurs are far from a faceless sportocorp. The community knows who the owners are and they are supported and loved here. They bought the stadium with the express intention of getting an MLS team.

The scorpions cease to exist because now that the stadium and surrounding fields are sold, that money can go to the charity the team was created for, meaning there is no longer a reason for that team.

They didn't buy the old team because of retarded American soccer politics. Which is also the same reason we will never have promotion and relegation.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Well that sounds a bit more sensible

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Rowdies have launched an NPSL team, Rowdies 2: http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news/2015/12/23/tampa-bay-rowdies-2-joins-the-national-premier-soccer-league

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Welp, I've put down a deposit on 2 tickets to the new team. Seems that insures I keep my seats. Also it looks like tickets are quite a bit cheaper. Mine were like $750 each including parking and now the rumor is they will be $600 per seat including parking. So there's that.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's a lot more pricey than cosmos. I think it was 340 for centerline seat. Free parking if paid by in full by a certain date

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Rowdies GA season tickets are $230 and rise to $920 for the midfield reserved seats (where you can potentially sit right next to the bench). Ralph's Mob GA season tickets were only $180 last year.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I read it wrong, supposedly the seats will be $450 a piece. Considerably less. I didn't mind "overpaying" for Scorps tickets because all the profits went to a charity I support. $450 with parking aint too shabby imo. My seats are behind the visitors bench, 11th row, covered. Good seats.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm 99% sure pro/rel will only happen when MLS gets too large for its own good and they divide themselves in two, which means this is not happening for at least another decade.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It will never happen since it's a franchise.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rowdies keeping up the recent trend of unoriginal reserve team names, I see.

Lladre posted:

It will never happen since it's a franchise.

It could happen because it's not a franchise, it's single entity. It wouldn't be real pro/rel though, just an annual scheduling reshuffle that is branded as "pro/rel".

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

NASL Notes: Florida Clubs Stay Active, Indy Adds International Experience, more

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/florida-international-experience-43359/

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

NASL Notes: Strikers, RailHawks Make a Deal, Rowdies Add Another MLS SuperDraft Pick, more

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/strikers-railhawks-superdraft-43430/

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

It is the current year.

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies re-Sign a trio of young talents

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2016/1/4/10709696/tampa-bay-rowdies-re-sign-trio-of-youngsters

The Tampa Bay Rowdies have exercised the options on three of the club’s young players. They are goalkeeper Chris Glodack, midfielder Jeff Michaud, and midfielder Verneri Valimaa. Coincidentally, all three are 22 years old.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies retain midfielder Juan Guerra, agreeing to a restructured deal

http://www.twiceacosmo.com/2016/1/5/10716166/tampa-bay-rowdies-retain-midfielder-juan-guerra-agreeing-to-a

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 6, 2016

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
Well our new team doesn't have a name other than USL San Antonio, but apparently we have a coach: Darren Powell, whoever the gently caress that is. I guess I'll go google him.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Suqit posted:

Well our new team doesn't have a name other than USL San Antonio, but apparently we have a coach: Darren Powell, whoever the gently caress that is. I guess I'll go google him.

That is still a better name than FC Cincinnati

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Or Real San Antonio.
Which seems borderline sacrilegious.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Suqit posted:

Is there any reason why the new owners can't simply buy the Scorpions name, since they bought everything else? It seems such a waste to throw that legacy in the dumpster and start from scratch.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the reason is it was an NASL team, so they don't want to legitimize that league. Soccer politics in the US seem pretty hell bent on never getting a decent system in place.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Lladre posted:

I think the reason is it was an NASL team, so they don't want to legitimize that league. Soccer politics in the US seem pretty hell bent on never getting a decent system in place.

Ugh. Yeah, sounds right.

So....here's to the San Antonio Hotspur maybe. I mean why not since the new owners are the San Antonio Spurs. :v:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
NASL has booted Atlanta from the league for 2016, that's probably the end of the line for the Silverbacks.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

trem_two posted:

NASL has booted Atlanta from the league for 2016, that's probably the end of the line for the Silverbacks.

Rest In Peace old friend. Your role as the source of really crappy, violent supporter groups in the Southeast has been filled by Orlando. :patriot:

quote:

Rowdies add MLS midfielder Michael Nanchoff to 2016 roster

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/249196

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Peter Wilt is out as Indy Eleven president. New guy is former CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is kind of a big deal.

Wilt is sticking around as GM for the spring season, then joining the Chicago Sting ownership group to get that team going. One of their stated goals is to have stadium in the Chicago city limits, and be accessible by public transit. Exciting times!!

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

camoseven posted:

Peter Wilt is out as Indy Eleven president. New guy is former CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which is kind of a big deal.

Wilt is sticking around as GM for the spring season, then joining the Chicago Sting ownership group to get that team going. One of their stated goals is to have stadium in the Chicago city limits, and be accessible by public transit. Exciting times!!

Yup. If they can accomplish that that would be impressive; not holding my breath though as we see with lack of such urban SSS so far in Boston, New York, Miami, etc....

quote:

Peter Wilt Joins CLUB 9 SPORTS

Veteran Soccer Leader Will Lead Effort to Return Pro Soccer to City of Chicago

http://nebula.wsimg.com/dd9e1e9bf02ba62d78dffed38d89ebbb?AccessKeyId=AF72A21F33D3C5F90327&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Good to see someone trying to revive the Chicago Sting brand. They will have a fairly impressive trophy case if the old Sting owner hands over the silverware.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Player Development Primary Reason for Founding of Rowdies 2

http://theunsubs.com/wp/2016/01/12/player-development-primary-reason-for-founding-of-rowdies-2/

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
NASL schedule is out! No Scorpions, and Puerto Rico doesn't start till the fall.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Stop me if you have heard this one before...

quote:

NASL to announce West Coast expansion within 1-2 months; multiple cities possible

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/announce-expansion-multiple-43990/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
USL schedule out! Now if only I had dates to circle :smith:

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

quote:

Tampa Bay Rowdies host leading MLS clubs in preseason Suncoast Invitational

http://saintpetersblog.com/archives/250947

Some of the biggest soccer stars in North America are coming to Tampa Bay in February to participate in the Tampa Bay Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, a brand-new preseason exhibition series unlike any the Tampa Bay area has ever hosted.

The Tampa Bay Rowdies, along with Major League Soccer’s Philadelphia Union, New York City FC, D.C. United, Montreal Impact, New York Red Bulls and Toronto FC will participate in the Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, which will be played on Feb. 17 through Feb. 27.

The event will provide a chance to see MLS stars such as Andrea Pirlo, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, David Villa, Sebastian Giovinco, Bobby Boswell, Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore, Fabian Espindola, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan and more take the field along with the Tampa Bay Rowdies.

In addition to participating in the Tampa Bay Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, the Montreal Impact will hold a preseason training camp hosted by the Rowdies from Feb. 15-28. During that time, the Impact will call Al Lang Stadium home, using the field, locker room and gym facilities alongside the Rowdies.

2016 will be the second year the Philadelphia Union will base their preseason training camp at the Joe DiMaggio Sports Complex in Clearwater.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Interesting: "Rowdies' owner wants to expand Al Lang stadium". Link includes (currently at least) a video from Fox 13 News discussing not the stadium, but the pre-season MLS training camps and pre-season tournament that has been announced (see previous post). Lots of local Pinellas County and St. Pete and Clearwater officials in the video talking about this, so clearly these local government types see marketing and tourism advantages in MLS preseason training camps which might translate into some funding for expansion of Al Lang (my inference here; they are not quoted in the video referencing Al Lang expansion).

I still think the Rowdies need to ultimately have a SSS in downtown Tampa, as it is much more centrally located for the Tampa Bay area population. And I do think they need to be in MLS, even though the crazies on Facebook want to talk about NASL competing with MLS and having promotion/relegation, yada yada yada.

But in any case an expanded Al Lang could work for now, and will definitely help. It will be an odd stadium though, as there is only room to expand on one side; the other side would remain open facing the harbor. Definitely does not sound like they want to tear the old stadium down and start fresh, which would be better because the current alignment of the pitch makes it impossible to expand seating much along the harbor side or on the end facing the Dali Museum. So it sounds like they will expand the seating all in one go during the off season, and leave the old Al Lang baseball portion of the stadium as is.

quote:

Rowdies' owner wants to expand Al Lang stadium

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/83170861-story

TAMPA (FOX 13) - Tampa Bay Rowdies' owner Bill Edwards told FOX 13 News Thursday he is close to requesting funding to expand Al Lang Stadium.

"I'm hoping it's on the front burner," Edwards said. "We're pretty close, I think we should start talking to the county shortly."

St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman confirmed the possibility of a stadium expansion.

"Yeah, we're definitely having conversations," Kriseman told FOX 13 News, "There's some preliminary drawings that are very exciting. I think soccer is a real big part of this community."

The drawings Kriseman referred to have been shared in closed-door meetings since late October, but Edwards declined to make them public at this point. However, he did share the price tag and scope of the proposal.

"With the whole thing, everything included, we're looking at about $70 million," Edwards said. "We can easily fit 18,500 seats total in here, we already have 7,000, so another 11,000 seats - we can build that in a year and be ready to go and have some suites and everything else."

The team owner said construction would not interfere with the Rowdies' home games, and he prefers to do the work in one phase rather than two. "We turned away people in seven games last year, we filled it up and we had to send people away - I don't want to do that" he explained.

Edwards comments came after a news conference on a Rowdies Suncoast Invitational scheduled for next month. Six Major League Soccer teams and the Rowdies will take part in eight matches during soccer's preseason training. City and county officials heralded an initiative to make Pinellas county a mecca for MLS preseason training. The effort started last year with the Philadelphia Union training in Clearwater. This year, in addition to the Union, the D.C. United will also train in Clearwater, while the Montreal Impact hold a spring training camp at Al Lang.

"Pinellas county now has an opportunity to become a destination spring training home for Major League Soccer" Mayor George Cretekos said.

quote:

Rowdies will compete against Montreal and Philadelphia. NYC FC, D.C. United, NY Red Bulls involved

Suncoast Invitational will feature six MLS teams

http://www.abcactionnews.com/sports...-bulls-involved

quote:

Freddy Adu takes full responsibility for disappointing career, but he’s not done yet

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-news/4692890-freddy-adu-where-is-he-now-tampa-bay-rowdies-nasl

Do over Ham fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 29, 2016

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

quote:

Don’t miss your chance to see Andrea Pirlo, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, David Villa, Sebastian Giovinco, Bobby Boswell,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Azerban posted:

Don’t miss your chance to see Andrea Pirlo, Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, David Villa, Sebastian Giovinco, Bobby Boswell,

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that. :v:

quote:

Rowdies’ owner Bill Edwards envisions bigger home for team

http://saintpetersblog.com/archives/251082

Bill Edwards likes what soccer has become. He likes even better what it may grow into.

On Thursday, Edwards — owner of the Rowdies — said he could imagine Al Lang Stadium growing into a facility that would seat 18,500 fans.

Coupled with the just-announced 25,000 seat stadium in Orlando, it’s another example of the sports’ growth in Florida. There are now teams in St. Petersburg, Orlando, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.

Edwards originally was supposed to provide $1.5 million in improvements to Al Lang Stadium, but he said the cost has been $3 million.

“I plan on staying,” Edwards said. “We’ve had talks with the city about an extension and expansion. We sold out seven games last year and came very close to the rest of them. Right here. We’ve got the footprint. It’s just a matter of finding the money to make it done.”

If that happens, the Rowdies could end up in downtown St. Petersburg for the foreseeable future.

“We’ve had conversations,” Mayor Rick Kriseman said. “We’re definitely interested in seeing what we can put together. We love having the Rowdies here. He’s invested not only his money, but his heart and soul.

“We’ve got to try to put together a deal that works for the Rowdies and the taxpayers. We’re not going to wait until four years to have conversations. We’re already having them.”

• Locked thread