Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
:siren:The final update is here! It's over!!! Thanks for watching!:siren:

If you’re here in this thread, you probably already know what Silent Hill 2 is, so I’ll spare the deets. We’re here to discuss the symbolism and themes of the game in this thread while the spoiler-free LP is going on in this other thread! This thread is where the "Nerd Commentary" versions of the regular LP’s vids are going to be. In them, Kamoc and I will be discussing symbolism and spoilers on top of the footage I'm using for the non-spoiler LP. In this thread, feel free to post theories, cool ideas, rants and raves, discussion and explanations about SH2. They don’t go in the other thread unless you’re an innocent who’s speculating and doesn’t know what’s going on up in there. Feel free to spoil everything you want about the games in here. For example: James killed Mary. There, just like that.

NERD COMMENTARY VIDEOS
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11 (With Special Guest Jeremy Blaustein!)
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
The Leave Ending
The Maria Ending
The Rebirth Ending
The UFO Ending
The Dog Ending
Born From a Wish 01
Born From a Wish 02

Bonus Vids
PyramidHead fight comparison: Shooting vs. Pacifism
VoidBurger and Bob's Weed Joke Workshop (cut content from the end of Episode 09)

Music!
Pay Attention! by Alexander Rosetti

FAN ART!
Sev/@whackochacko:

@Rumrusher:

Aphra Bane:

purple_sammich:

DeathChicken:

NoctisWarp:

Huzzah!:

Pesky Splinter:

@cabeleb:
"Pyramid Head's shoes were wet after trudging through the flooded stairs so he's takin a little break"

Nomad175:

ThatPazuzu (in honor of the thread coming back from hiatus):

@winebutterflies:

dijon du jour:
"I think Bob needs to file a res-train-ing order"

uncleKitchener:

Bored:
"Just felt the need to say that a silent hill kitty would be all butthole, all the time."

Moto42 posted:

The Silent Hillcat.
Misunderstood and demonized, Silent Hill's unconventional kittens just want a place in our heart.

They do look strange. With unusual coloration, noted 'hissing, burping' cry, and striking face; it's easy to see why so many look upon this breed with fear and contempt. An attitude evident in the many nicknames for the Silent Hillcat: 'Hellcat', 'ButtKitten', 'Shitkitty'...

Beneath that thin, patchy coat is a constant companion for any who would open their hearts and homes to love.

A living mystery
Noted breeder, Ernst Hackit of Brahms is credited with developing this unique feline. Though his estate vehemently denies any involvement. All we know is that a lot of emotion went into these cats, who appeared suddenly in our shrubs and back alleys 'almost overnight'.

Tackled by love
Ever playful, the Silent Hillcat is 'aggressively affectionate'. You will quickly learn it's game of leaping up, giving your leg a quick 'hug and nip', and quickly running back into hiding. They sometimes land on your shoulder, to rub their loving face on your cheek and neck.

Naturally robust and healthy
The Silent Hill Animal Clinic sees hundreds of pets each year. They report that they have never treated a Silent Hillcat for any of the digestive maladies that bedevil so many other breeds. Nothing can keep the Silent Hellcat from it's 'duties'.
When questioned about vaccinations, veterinarians reply, "Please don't bring them in", Proving the Silent Hillcat to be almost maintenance free.

A constant companion
Few animals cleave so closely to their owners side as the Silent Hillcat, or to such pronounced effect on them.
Once you have been 'selected as her pet human', you will have a constant companion, anywhere you go.
Some owners report they have heard their pet's voice follow them into slumber. A familiar sound through even their darkest nightmares.

Already waiting for you
Why keep them waiting? If you can find room in your heart and home; room for love, room for affection, room for companionship; then open your home to a Silent Hillcat right now.
There's no need to drive to the animal shelter. A simple treat of meat and some blood will quickly bring one, or more of these feisty felines into your life.

-Sincerly;

Silas Brookhaven

edit: I guess I should explain myself. I'm learning to write advertising copy and this became my 'quick practice item' for the day.
This was too much fun. I have my own headcannon for these things now. Origin story, attack patterns, what areas you would find them in... :psyduck:

Lurking Haro:

@westerngenre

@hawk16zz

dijon du jour

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

7c Nickel posted:

Aren't you afraid that the concentrated nerdery of this thread could affect the groundwater? Children being born with strong opinions on the symbolism of Robbie the Rabbit. Is that what you want?
As long as the sweet little babies in the non-spoiler thread are safe, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

Veloxyll posted:

What's it like to be playing a game that doesn't make you want to kill yourself?
Pretty ironic, because this games is pretty depressing and about suicide and dark poo poo like that, lol. That stuff shouldn't be refreshing, but it is????

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

bman in 2288 posted:

Edit: I'm tired is my excuse for stating something clearly in the video. But does anyone have the link to that developer interview/magazine thing that touched on Mary's corpse? It was a good read, I remember.
I dunno about an interview, but Masahiro Ito (the game's lead art dude) recalled Mary's body being in the car here: NSFW twitter background!

Spalec posted:

I assume you'll be getting the only correct, canon ending for this game? (the Dog ending) :colbert:
Gonna be in a bonus video, I think! I let the game naturally get whatever ending it wanted to on my LP run, then went back and recorded all the other endings. (Still have work to do on that end, though...)

Spalec posted:

Also, will you show off/compare the puzzles from hard and easy? Some of them get insanely convoluted don't they?
I'm considering it? I'm not really sure because honestly, I don't understand a lot of the harder difficulty puzzles, myself. I feel like all I'd be doing is research and regurgitating solutions I don't entirely understand, haha. Really, you can just look up the solutions easier than I can sum up the solutions and make a coherent video out of them. :( If people really want it though, I can make a bonus video about each puzzle.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
It used to just be just "New England" for a while there, but there's a few things that have placed it in Maine.

- In Hiroyuki Owaku's (scenario writer of the first games in the series) Double Under Dusk Japanese-only cellphone comic, Silent Hill is placed in Maine.
- A timeline in the Book of Lost Memories' (which is a big theory guide thingy released by Konami after SH3 came out) specifically mentions "Maine becomes a state." Which is kinda weird to include if that's not where Silent Hill is located.
-Downpour also places it in Maine with license plates and whatnot.
- And the weirdest one: On the inside of the liner notes for the Japanese release of Silent Hill 4: The Room's soundtrack, an address is given for Heaven's Night that ends in "ME", which is Maine.

Though it makes sense that it's in Maine, since the majority of Stephen King's novels seem to take place there, and King was a major influencer of the series. The movies shove it in West Virginia because they based it off the real abandoned town of Centralia for no decent reason, imo.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Accordion Man posted:

To be fair, Centralia is probably one of the closet things to a real life Silent HIll.
Yeah, if Silent Hill had a coal fire burning under the town that made everybody move out. But it doesn't in the games, that's just something they put in the movie! Heck, there's loads of abandoned American towns out there! If one of them had cult wackiness and a tourist drug ring going on in them, THAT would be the town I'd point to and say "That's the closest thing to a real life Silent Hill."

Actually, it's debated still how populated Silent Hill actually is. It was a thriving tourist town until at least SH1, which took place in 1983ish, I think? I think there's evidence for it still being a tourist hotspot during the events of SH2 (1993, if I'm not mistaken?), but I'm too tired to look it up right now... Pretty sure that Homecoming was the first to be like "That place is hosed up, we don't go there" but then again, Homecoming was kinda "Silent Hill: The Movie: The Game" in a few ways.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Little_wh0re posted:

Regarding the marys body in the car thing. Is there any evidence for it or is just some guys opinion (who worked on the game)
In addition to what WaltherFeng said, you also can see what I believe is Mary's body in the boat during the Rebirth ending, which also implies that James brought her body with him to town in the first place. Additionally, in the In Water ending, James picks up Mary's body, carries her out of the room, then there's car door noises that happen before he drives his car into a lake, presumed to be Toluca Lake.

Pre-Rebirth ending. Nothing at all in the boat, it's totally empty.

Rebirth ending. In the PS2 days, that just looked like some white thing, but with the emulator you can make out a woman's face.

100Dachshunds posted:

Which is odd considering Centralia is in Pennsylvania, not West Virginia.
Whoops duh, my bad~ Either way, they moved it in a southerly direction, haha.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Although TRSHE appears to be well-researched, I assure you, friends, it is not. TwinPerfect are biased in their research, presenting things out of context AND omitting facts when it's convenient for pushing their own theories. In addition to being extremely intellectually dishonest, they're all-around unsavory people who are toxic to the fandom, they treat everyone who doesn't lick their boots like scum. Bob and I are adamant about them being a terrible influence on the Silent Hill fandom, not only encouraging harassment of developers that they have seen fit to scapegoat (while not doing any research beyond scoping out interviews from years ago, applying the answers to questions that were not asked, presenting them out of context, and jumping to biased conclusions), but also shutting down tons of beautiful debate about alternate theories while declaring that everyone who doesn't think like them isn't a "Real Silent Hill Fan." They research all backwards, starting with a conclusion and working back towards evidence to support the conclusion, while ignoring all contradictory proof.

Here's the ad hominem part.
Also, according to TwinPerfect: If you like Shattered Memories and the things in it, you're a "retard," Cybil is a "butch dyke," and it's also a very wholesome pastime to follow around a mentally ill homeless man and record him without consent while giggling at him. It's totally cool to then go home, put your cool watermark on it, and post it on youtube with tags like "Public" "Mental" "Illness" and "Homeless." And oh, don't forget to include a link to your website in the description, that's a perfectly non-evil behavior to take part in, too.

God, gently caress those guys. lol.

That's all I really want to say about them. Don't take their theories as 100% truth. Not everything they say is garbage (even they cannot warp every piece of proof into something else), but a surprising percentage of it is. If you do your own research, there are plenty of gigantic holes and inconvenient truths they've sidestepped to seem authoritative when they are not. However, you don't have to do your own research to see that their attitudes are despicable and their influence has been overwhelmingly negative.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Accordion Man posted:

It's even more sad because Tomm was like one of the few people who actually gave a poo poo about the series for the longest time. He had to really reign in Double Helix because their original ideas for Homecoming were even worse than we what we got for example.
Though I will forever be disappointed that we didn't get the epic Pokemon-style showdown between water (Joshua) and fire (Alessa) that Double Helix wanted to do, cause Tomm was like "What the gently caress guys??" That hilarious battle would have been icing on the b-movie cake for me and would have made me love the poo poo out of Homecoming's absurdity even more.

I love that peeps don't blame Devin Shatsky, the guy that had veto power over everything Tomm did. They don't even hate on Konami as much as Tomm, and they're the ones that provide the (insufficient) budget, assign the project to whatever lovely developer they feel like, and then not give them enough time to complete the project! v:shobon:v Tomm became an easy target because, unlike Konami and Shatsky, Tomm is accessible. He has a blog and a twitter and goes on forums, so you can actually talk to him. It's easier to blame someone for something if they feel less detached and far away than other, more likely scapegoats.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
These wacky highway signs are blowing my mind.

Toledo 48
Mars 33,900,000

Anoia posted:

The bad voice acting in this game is one of those things that grew on me, so the re-recorded stuff in the HD releases struck me as weird and bad in the end.
I thought the casting was TERRIBLE for the HD Collection.

James: Troy Baker is a really bad James. Not that Guy Cihi is a good actor in any way, but I think his somber, weak voice really fit James' character. Having Troy come in with his melted milk chocolate baritone voice is extremely jarring. Troy's voice is strong and dramatic, which doesn't fit James' whole schtick of "I'm falling apart inside, I've never been so confused and disturbed and depressed in my entire life." James is emasculated, scared, weak, wretched, and none of that makes sense with a strong manly voice like Troy's.

Mary/Maria: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is a great VA who was also miscast (by herself, I think? If I'm not mistaken, she was partially in charge of the VO work.) She's a great Maria, but a terrible Mary. Her voice is too sultry/strong to play the sick, weak, sweet Mary. I actually didn't know that Mary and Maria were originally played by the same woman (Monica Taylor Horgan) until I'd played it many times through.

Eddie: Whoever played Eddie in the HD Collection just sounded like he was constantly straining and it was bizarre. Like, constipated or something.

Laura: And Laura was awful because it was some adult woman putting on a little girl voice and that almost ALWAYS sounds like poo poo to me. Laura was played by a real little girl in the original, and she was a terrible actress too, but I'll take a bad child actor over a good adult actor putting on a babyvoice a lot of the time.

Angela: The only person I thought was a VO improvement in the HD version was Angela, who I always thought sounded too old for her age (19), and had a lot of inflections with certain lines which accidentally made the lines almost funny when they definitely shouldn't have been ("You said yer wife Mary was dead... RIGHT?") The newer VO sounded age-appropriate and had a lot of range for all of Angela's mood swings. She really sounded broken, and I thought she was a great casting decision.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
^^ JINX. Buy me a health drink. ^^

Anoia posted:

I went "aww, man" aloud when I got The Room and saw the painting that makes In Water canon.
For those who don't know, there's a picture which Henry comments on: "I got this photo from Sunderland, the superintendent. I heard his son and daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill a few years back..."

That may not necessarily mean that In Water is canon, though, as James could have run off elsewhere after going to SH in this game. It can technically fit with all the endings, as we do not know what James does post-SH2. He could have started his life anew somewhere else after the events of SH2 and vanished from his previous life.

(Though this is all coming from someone who likes to think that the In Water ending is canon anyway!)

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Choco1980 posted:

But the final nail is if in the labyrinth you equip his knife and turn off your flashlight--the monsters run from you. Pyramid Head is James.
No argument here that Pyramidhead is some form of James, but I also have never seen this happen. The thing about the Lying Figs in the labyrinth is that most of them follow a path through the maze anyway. James walks so slowly with the Great Knife, I could easily see someone inferring that the monsters are "running away" from him, when in fact James is just being too slow to influence their patrol route in the maze (having the flashlight off would make it even more difficult for the monsters to notice you and change their predetermined walking path, as well.)

Choco1980 posted:

I assumed in the attract video that Eddie and Laura being outside the overlook van inferred that it was Eddie's van and that he took Laura to Silent Hill, perhaps as a hitchhiker.
Makes sense for the first chunk of the game, but not the later chunk. How does Laura get to the hotel if Eddie was her main mode of transportation? :crossarms: Eddie dies before that point in the game.

I like to think she has some parent or guardian helping her travel around looking for her friend, but James can't see them because they're not important to his story like Laura is. "What's a little girl like you doing here, anyway?" and she replies "Huh? Are you blind or something?" Which at least means that everything is probably completely normal to her eyes, but furthermore, can imply that perhaps she has normal-world methods of getting around Silent Hill.

Then again, Silent Hill could just be zapping her around the place and keeping her safe because while SH has a beef with James, it has no beef with Laura, but somehow "knows" that she's very important for his punishment. Thus, the town facilitates her travels while also not conjuring monsters to gently caress her up.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Accordion Man posted:

We also really can't take the game's distances that seriously, I mean it says Brahms, the town established to be the next town over to Silent Hill in 1, is 200 miles away.
Haha, this is exactly what Bob and I were talking about in the video about this being annoying. :) You can hand-wave everything because we can't trust Silent Hill to have any constants because it's too weird there. It gets annoying that so many things can be explained by "Well what if it's just cuz the town is just weird?"

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Have you tried the P.T, Voidburger? And what do you hope for in a new Silent Hill game?
I haven't physically played it myself cause I would've broken the controller from dropping it in fear probably, lol. I watched my boyfriend play it while we jumped into each others' arms, screaming. It's incredibly tense and terrifying. I can't really stomach it, it's so stressful. I respect the hell out of it though, it's incredibly successful at what it set out to do.

I hope the new Silent Hills is done as an anthology, that would be awesome. Shorter games with different writers, directors, and actors, kinda like The Twilight Zone, y'know? I think that would be effin' awesome. I really want Junji Ito to be involved too, I'm in love with that guy's storytelling and art style, his only huge weakness is that he doesn't know how to properly end any of his stories.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Re: People saying "James goes down a billion holes and ends up at ground level so the town just does weird things with distances": The thing is, that's James. I'm talking about Laura who, so far as we can tell, is NOT being affected by Silent Hill in any way, besides being important to James' story and therefore she's able to interact with James and not see monsters. All of Laura's movement makes sense in the game until the jump across the lake. She starts in the apartment, ends up on a wall in the alley behind the apartment, walks only a few blocks away to the Bowling Alley, leaves the bowling alley, cuts behind Heaven's Night and ends up in the hospital right near there. Then she's gone for a huge chunk of the game until we see her in the hotel across the lake. It's a long enough gap that I think it's mildly plausible that she could have an unseen chaperone to drive her there. Or heck, maybe she took a bus, lol. Or perhaps the boat launch across the lake is actually functioning in the "real world." Bottom line: Who the heck knows? :/

Re: Pyramidhead chat: My complaint isn't so much that PH is exclusive to James, as it's been evidenced that Silent Hill can and DOES recycle monsters (ie: Closers from SH3 are the same as Mandarins in SH2), but that reusing PH so much lessens the impact of him. The dude just isn't scary anymore because he's been so overused!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't believe Laura is in the "real world" during the game. I think it's suggested that the Lakeview Hotel has burned down since James was last in Silent Hill (through the drawing you find in one of the prison cells and the weird message you can find on the water heater in the hotel if you do some backtracking), yet Laura appears to be in the same pristine-looking hotel James is when they meet. If anything, Laura is probably in a harmless otherworld.
This is a good point because the piano she scares James with would have totally been busted as hell in the real world too, since the whole hotel is a goddamn mess. :o

Wordnumber posted:

like the key scene in the apartments. The bars seem like an unnatural installation, and Laura still seems to see them the same way James does.
This is also a really good point, aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Wow, non-yelling, non-condescending discussion is changing my mind about things I thought about Silent Hill 2! Why can't the fandom be as civil as this thread? Lol

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Krad posted:

Why are people so certain that Laura is real? She could've easily died during her hospitalization, you know. :tinfoil:
Laura kinda has to be real for James to realize Mary's been dead for WAY LESS than three years. In Mary's letter to Laura, she wishes her a happy 8th birthday. Laura turned 8 last week, so Mary couldn't have died three years ago. This time discrepancy causes one of the most important perception-correcting realizations that James has in the game, which would be sullied if it turned out she wasn't real!

I forget when Mary's letter becomes blank, by the way... is it when James reaches the hotel or after that particular cutscene with Laura? I've never properly checked myself and I don't feel like booting the game up at the moment!

Also, a word of warning for folks using the SHwiki: it's maintained by fans and some fans run pretty wild with theories. So reader beware, there is sometimes a LOT of unsourced speculation on there sometimes. Check the sources :)

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, I feel like Laura's age is kinda played like a big reveal, and one of my main reasons for believing Laura is real is that "Why would her age be important in the story if she wasn't real?" Her age is the only 'real' thing tying James to reality there. To have her not be real, and thus NOT a tie to reality that makes James question his sanity, makes no sense story-wise. This story needs something to tie it to reality or else every single bit of it is up in the air, and James finding out her age wouldn't have mattered at all. Laura's age is probably the biggest clue, (probably just as, if not more important than Silent Hill murdering Maria three times, imo) in the attempt to make James wake the hell up and realize what he's done. And if Laura's age weren't the real-world truth by which James can compare his perception of time with reality, what's the point of having the age plot point?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
There's a theory that Mary/Laura were hospitalized at St. Jerome's Hospital in Ashfield, which is featured in Silent Hill 4. This is because James' dad is the super of Henry's building in Ashfield, giving the Sunderland family a reason to be in that town. Additionally, a nurse who lives in Henry's building is named Rachel, the same name of the nurse Mary gave her letter to. I don't know if it's mentioned in that game that she specifically works at St. Jerome's, but it's the only hospital we know of in Ashfield, so people have latched on to that idea. I must admit that I'm pretty fond of it, but then again, it's been forever since I played SH4, so I'm not sure if there's any big plotholes to this theory. v:shobon:v

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Fun Silent Hill dog fact: Instead of shooting the dog, Jeremy Blaustein (the translator + VO director) wanted Eddie to kill the dog by feeding it a spring and having it chew its guts out. It was something he'd read of in Slaughterhouse Five, I think. Kinda settled for a middle ground by shooting it, then having it die while chewing its guts out. :staredog:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Can you guys not post someone else's Let's Play in my Let's Play thread? That's pretty rude, lol. Especially if it's from one of the guys that is notoriously toxic in the fandom and I really want him to phase out of relevance forever. And since when are streams Let's Plays? If streams are Let's Plays, I've done shitloads of them between Oogie's Revenge and now, haha.

Fungo is a dick, the end.

Guy Cihi is not a "dick," but he's a bizarre person. He doesn't know as much about Silent Hill as the actual developers. He fancies himself an actor, but he's a business dude who happened to look sad enough for Team Silent to wanna audition him for James while he was there having his daughter audition for Laura (she didn't get the part.) He's spent the last couple of years realizing that Silent Hill fans are desperate for idols, so now he's milking it and basking in it and being super strange, but SH fans eat that poo poo up. He's not the savior of the HD Collection, more that he's the one that brought up (non-existent??) contracts and (non-existent) royalties/residuals, which ground production of the HD Collection to a screeching halt. He's the savior in that he capitulated when Konami was saying "Um, okay then we WON'T have the old voices in SH2 (because Konami don't give a gently caress) and it'll be all your fault!" Instead of dragging the HD Collection down with his stubbornness, Guy let them go ahead and use their voices, then took the majority of the credit for "saving" the HD Collection's voices. It's kind of hosed up????

Source: Bob and I interviewed Guy Cihi, Jeremy Blaustein, and Tomm Hulett about Silent Hill in general + The HD Collection for The Grate Debate, but those videos aren't out yet because we're slow and that particular video is a massive undertaking. :(

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

King Vidiot posted:

that on top of the fact that he took the time out to do it in the first place.
He's recorded chunks of that Silent Hill arcade with a fan while quoting Silent Hill 2. He's had a pizza party for his birthday in Brooklyn where he invited Silent Hill fans. He's not really "taking the time out" of his life to be cool, he just seems to enjoy feeling famous sometimes. I don't blame him for milking the fame if he wants to go and do that for fun, but don't mistake it as an entirely selfless act.

bman in 2288 posted:

...That sounds kind of like a dick to me? I mean, I'm not going to say that he's a bad person, but what you just described is either a dick, or someone who is in way over their heads and doesn't realize it's going to eat them whole.
I feel like, unlike Fungo and the leftovers of TwinPerfect, Guy Cihi doesn't intend to be a dick. People think his weirdness is him playing it up for laughs, because he's James and that's funny. I think he isn't really playing it up, he really is a VERY odd man who does VERY odd things and has a very disproportionate idea of how influential/important/professional he is in this very specific realm that is Silent Hill. People treat him as a celeb, he acts like a celeb. People treat him as an authority, he acts like an authority. He's not an actor, he's a very odd guy who happened to star in a 2001 survival horror game out of sheer serendipity.

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm really sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick or derail the thread. I just thought other Silent Hill fans might be interested. Please forget I was here.

I really enjoyed the first episode of this LP and look forward to the rest!
Apology accepted! Just-- YEESH, why'd it have to be the the LP of one of the worst fans out there? lol, just unfortunate. I was one of the first people to suggest Guy do an LP with Dave while someone else was playing the game for him (I think I even said "The fandom will eat that poo poo up!") - another thing Bob can attest to! Too bad Guy went with that one dick and not anybody else, but Guy's gonna go with the people that lick his boots the most and reinforce his various beliefs regarding Silent Hill and who's most important to it because Guy's just... one of those guys.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, reading Mary's Letter, looking at her photo, and listening to the entire hallway conversation are factors towards the Leave Ending, not In Water.

Though I managed to get my first LP playthrough of this so close between two endings that I got In Water first, reloaded, and looked at Mary's letter about 15 times, then got Leave.

Leave Main Influencers:
-Keep your health in the green for the majority of the game.
-Read Mary's letter and look at her photo. The more you do both, the more it seems to lean towards Leave.
-Listen to the whole hallway conversation at the end.

In Water Main Influencers:
-Be stingy with healing items and don't spend too much of the game at full health
-Look at Angela's knife more. The more you do it, the more it seems to lean toward In Water.
-Don't listen to the whole hallway conversation.
-Listen to the tape in the hotel's Library, the one where James is talking to Mary's doctor.

I'm note sure about the rooftop suicide diary, though. I thought you HAD to read it to get PH to appear and knock you off the roof? At least, he refused to appear in my practice run unless I had read the diary before checking out that one door. I was trying to purposefully skip reading it on that run so my ending wouldn't be affected by it!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
New episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vnkJtaIE9I

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

In It For The Tank posted:

There's a Silent Hill timeline?
Kinda sorta? It's weird. I think(?) something from Homecoming's ad campaign (Alex Shepard had an online diary, lol) mentioned some dates that placed Silent Hill Origins in a specific year. From there, all the other years can be extrapolated? Something like that?

There's timelines out there, but what the timelines lack is an EXPLANATION of how they figured out the timelines. It's hard to point out the origin point of the dates, and I could be misremembering that it was a Homecoming thing that placed Origins somewhere. I think there's gotta be a timeline out there somewhere that actually explains the process of going back and forth and cross referencing all the dates to come to the conclusions in the timeline, but I don't know where it is.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Aishlinn posted:

I'm kinda bummed that you aren't doing a NG+++(however many plusses) run for the spoiler side of the videos, for all the revealed signs and stuff.
(I know you're editing it in, but still..) Plus you've gotta show off the chainsaw easter egg. RAAAARGH :black101:

That's what bonus videos are for!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

The vast majority, if not all, of the corpses in the game are James' model. Sometimes its bloodied up and darkened and you don't realize it, and other times its really obvious. But yeah, its there to reinforce how spooky and dangerous it is. James never once comments on it, implying its yet another subconscious thing and he's not quite capable of realizing it.
He never comments on the clothing choice at least (because that would be too obvious to tell the player that!) but yeah, he only commented on that very first dead body in the tunnel. Every other corpse after that was sooooo blasé (except the one in front of the TV.)

I like to think that at least some of the corpses were once real people drawn to Silent Hill that failed in their survival (like the guy who wrote the "Run away run away run away" notes), but I have no proof, it's just something I like to think happened. I especially like thinking that Silent Hill repurposes some people to do its bidding - they're compelled to do things and don't know why. By this, I'm talking mostly about "There was a HOLE here/If you really want to see Mary..." messages, and the messages/wrench left for James by the hospital director later in the game. They know specifically about James and seem to be used by Silent Hill as instruments to aid James. Or they could be conjured by the town like Maria of course, who also doesn't know why she is compelled to do certain things, why she remembers Laura, James, etc. But either way, I like the idea of "possessed" people doing these strange things - leaving these spooky notes - more than if Silent Hill just zapped bloody graffiti onto a wall.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Haerc posted:

Was looking through my imgur folder and found this old thing:

(can't remember if it's a hoax or not)
Well, it's not a hoax because all those in-game textures are real and all those screencaps of Kindergarten Cop are real. Team Silent probably used the film as reference for what American grammar schools looks like (way different than Japanese schools)!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Eddie says: "Maybe I am a fat, disgusting piece of poo poo!" and Laura calls him a "gutless fatso" so I think this was something that was used against him in normal life that he internalized as true/sinful, just as I could see Angela's plate referring to her own abuse turned against her and internalized. Very many abuse victims are blamed for their abuse, and internalize it as truth. Really, the odd duck out here with the plates is James, as he doesn't believe he's an Oppressor.

Eddie definitely believes he's fat. Additionally, all the times we meet him revolve around food in some way. We meet him while he's throwing up because of a dead guy in the fridge, we see him eating pizza in the bowling alley, he killed a guy in the prison cafeteria, and we kill him in a meat locker.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Choco1980 posted:

Can I ask why you didn't go to the trailer that instructs you to go to bar neely's, and instead just wandered in there?

Few reasons:
-I want to visit the bar twice, to show that the "If you really want to see Mary..." note is NOT at the bar earlier in the game. It's spookier to show off that it appears after the hospital.
-It was conveniently on the way back from being distracted by Happy Burger. The camera angle changes as we go past the door, indicating a point of interest anyway.
-The map in the bar is for the beginning of the game, directing you to the street that has the apartment key on it. I forget, but the map either disappears later (depriving the viewer of that cool content) or is irrelevant and out of place later, as we would have already collected that key long ago.
-The motor home is conveniently on the way back from the hospital, which gives me an excuse to check out the bar a second time to show off the second message.

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 16, 2015

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

As you get deeper into the game, will the spoilers videos get more informative about the sorts of things being discussed in this thread? I've played SH2, and seen LPs of the other games, but I have to be honest that I was actually surprised by the information that James killed Mary. I had no clue! I played this game as a teenager (when the PS2 was brand spankin' new), so it all probably went over my head.
Haha, that's pretty funny considering that James straight-up says he killed her at the end:
James: "Mary's dead."
Laura: "She died cause she was sick?"
James: "No... I killed her"

I would love it if your commentary pointed out the various bits of symbolism and discussed it in detail. For example, it would've been really cool if you'd gotten into more discussion about the significance of all the corpses being James's model when that came up in the last video.
I don't know specifically why they're all wearing James clothing. Probably another punishment thing from SH, or maybe it's doing it to encourage James to kill himself, haha. We talk about James' specific model being used as foreshadowing in the next episode though.

Don't get me wrong, I love the jokes too, but I feel like you know a lot more about the imagery and mythos of this series than I do and it would be cool for these videos to give a window into that. When I played these games I was a stupid teenager, but now I am an adult-person with a degree in literature and such so I am eating up all of the thematic stuff folks are unveiling in this thread.
Don't worry! It's just the beginning of the game! I feel like there's PLENTY of time to discuss loads of symbolism. I didn't wanna frontload the first few episodes with too much trivia/symbolism stuff cause there's still so much time to talk about this stuff!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Update! We meet that pointy guy in this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6I9FMLg1M

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I always believed the sound in the hallway before PH's introduction is coming from the guy that was just freshly killed in front of the TV, not PH himself making a noise (he makes different noises later in the game that don't really sound like that yelp in the apartment.)

There's also a baby cry in the hospital basement later, but that doesn't have much to do with PH, btw.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Amy from AlchemillaHospital.net is doing a camhack LP of Silent Hill 2! I'm posting it in here because:
(1) I've never seen this stuff before and I'm not doing any camhacks. Because of this angle, I don't think it clashes with my LP at all.
(2) She's playing the PC version and the HD Collection, so it's cool to see the comparisons there (The HD Collection has ugly fog and is so much darker than the original, has cleaner streets, etc)
(3) Her editing/commentary/gameplay is a little haphazard, and leaves much to be desired for those unfamiliar with the games :( So I think it's good supplemental to my videos, which are more linear and easy to follow than hers. So you can watch my videos to get an idea of what the game normally looks like so you can keep your bearings for when she's zooming around in her camhack vids!
(4) Unlike TwinPerfect, she seems nice, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBwqsGPdvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBELaQDTiY0

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Well the whole "idyllic whitebread town has dark secrets" thing is something taken from a lot of Western influences, from Stephen King to Twin Peaks. I think the devs were just taking a theme they loved and ran with it.

Also keep in mind that the cult (regardless of sects) OWNS the cops/fire department/coroner's office/hospitals etc, and everyone who's ever tried to investigate into it met a bad end. Regardless of the supernatural, it's just a good old-fashioned American cover-up, fueled by intimidation and drug money.

Also, about the sects; I think the main differences were in which sub-deities they recognized/worshiped more and how/when they wanted the reckoning poo poo to happen. I think they still basically believe in the same-ish poo poo. We also don't know how many there are exactly anyway, nor precisely when they came into being, pre or post SH2. :shrug:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Update! It's got that one scene with PyramidHead. You know the one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSjlErMChg

In hindsight, this episode would have been a perfect time to talk about how I feel Silent Hill 2 subverts the idea of voyeurism, especially in the context of rape/assault, but I guess I'll chat about it later, whoops!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

ThatPazuzu posted:

I think symbolism chat might be more insightful if you had notes or whatever ready before recording. Discussing that stuff off the cuff is interesting and fun but it lacks the depth of a prepared examination. But that's just my suggestion and I'm a dumb jerk so whatever.
Yup, you're totally right and I don't know why I haven't done this already! :doh:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Got two fanarts (finally, yay!)

Sev/@whackochacko:

@Rumrusher:

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
It's worth mentioning that Team Silent kinda retconned[ish?] the reference to "the red devil" mentioned in that note later on in Silent Hill 4. It's not PyramidHead, it's this guy:

Jimmy Stone, aka "The Red Devil"

Though I'm pretty positive that at the time of making SH2 it was just a cool throwaway line to foreshadow PyramidHead and they weren't actually thinking about Silent Hill 4 at all yet!

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

I love this a lot hahaha

vvv This too! Wow James is adorable in that, haha. vvv

VoidBurger fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

tlarn posted:

Now I just wanna know what NPR in Silent Hill would be like. Wait Wait, Don't Kill Me would be a hit, I'm sure, but I'd prefer to listen to Seance Friday.

It would probably be like Welcome to Night Vale except less shady government dealings, and more cult dealings.

• Locked thread