Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Peter Molyneux posted:

There’s this overwhelming urge to over-promise because it’s such a harsh rule: if you’re one penny short of your target then you don’t get it. And of course in this instance, the behaviour is incredibly destructive, which is ‘Christ, we’ve only got 10 days to go and we’ve got to make £100,000, for gently caress’s sake, lets just say anything’. So I’m not sure I would do that again.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/09/oh-godus-what-the-hells-going-on/

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2vbwsd/fuck_you_peter_molyneux_i_want_the_money_back/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

:lol:

Before this game I had never paid attention to or paid for/played a single Molyneux product so I can at least say I never got scammed by him before this turd, but I guess that's all moot if I managed to get scammed by him in the end. What a loving piece of poo poo, thought it sounded really cool and got it when it popped up on Steam one day on a whim and thought it was garbage, and surprise, it somehow manages to be even more of a scam than I realized. At the very least it and Starbound have completely soured me to early access games and I've gone out of my way to avoid absolutely everything in early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Saw that one coming.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anyone who had any idea who Peter Molyneux is and still backed the game pretty much deserved what they got, but he's still an incredible rear end in a top hat.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I like that he says he's 'not sure' if he would do that again. Not like 'absolutely wouldn't' or 'doing it again would never cross my mind,' he might absolutely can and will overhype, or outright lie about, in this case, games he's in charge of.

Why does anybody take this guy seriously again?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is what Gamergate is all about. How many journalists did Molyneux seduce so they wouldn't ask the hard questions?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

there's only one sane solution

blow it up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

How can anyone take this guy seriously after the Milo hoax?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Boy I can't wait for the next Molyneux project where a bunch of goons say "Hey this dude is a literal scam artist" and a lot more goons say "BUT HE MADE SOME PRETTY GOOD VIDEOGAMES LITERALLY 30 YEARS AGO HE'S TOTALLY STILL GOT IT" and then give him way too much money.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sinteres posted:

Anyone who had any idea who Peter Molyneux is and still backed the game pretty much deserved what they got, but he's still an incredible rear end in a top hat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1stGear posted:

Boy I can't wait for the next Molyneux project where a bunch of goons say "Hey this dude is a literal scam artist" and a lot more goons say "BUT HE MADE SOME PRETTY GOOD VIDEOGAMES LITERALLY 30 YEARS AGO HE'S TOTALLY STILL GOT IT" and then give him way too much money.

see also: double fine

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

1stGear posted:

No man or women can resits the allure of the money Chris Roberts brought in with just a dream of space ships.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The only good thing Peter Molyneux ever made was that mysterious cube phone game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Populous wasn't good. Syndicate wasn't good. I have never played Magic Carpet but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

second half of their long delayed game is coming out soon. for real this time.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i saw godus and i was like oh poo poo this looks cool and bought it and then i found out pete was involved and i was like "gently caress"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you take a website based around making empty promises to people and let a man who has made an entire career out of making empty promises use it.

and people gave him 400,000 euros for this.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Populous wasn't good. Syndicate wasn't good. I have never played Magic Carpet but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.

Dungeon Keeper was good. I only ever played Populous and Syndicate years after they were outdated as gently caress so maybe I didn't the ~*full experience*~ but yeah they weren't enjoyable.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Breaking news, Molyneux lies.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I bought Godus on early access because I thought Populous was being brought back.

gently caress you Peter

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

P.S. Chris Roberts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've lost track, did Molyneux ever make anything that was actually good?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Fable 2 was ok. Syndicate was ok. How he has built a successful career based on one disappointment after the other is confounding.

Trent Reznor warned me about people like him.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Breaking news, Molyneux lies.

Fable's been out for over a decade. Project Milo was five years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I've lost track, did Molyneux ever make anything that was actually good?
dungeon keeper was cool

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
with the beauty of kickstarter now the world can experience what it's like to have a thousand Peter Molyneuxs. In the near future the words "this game will exist" will be just as much of a lie and exaggeration as anything Peter Molyneux has said in his entire life.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I actually liked Godus but also I like garbage so...

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

I remember getting really excited over Black&White back in the day and it turned out to be a pile of overhyped poo poo where half of the promised features were missing. I haven't taken Molyneux seriously since then.

Theme Park was a great game though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder how that kid who won Curiosity feels about all this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Agean90 posted:

i saw godus and i was like oh poo poo this looks cool and bought it and then i found out pete was involved and i was like "gently caress"

It's a bad feeling, brotha

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Well, that was a shocker.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I really liked the movies and hoped it'd get a sequel.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I just don't understand the greed of people like this. Didn't this guy make tens of millions off the sale of Bullfrog? He's been set for life for over a decade. Why does he need to lie about anything to make a buck?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hahahahahaha to the idiots to gave that man a single penny.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Quest For Glory II posted:

How can anyone take this guy seriously after the Milo hoax?

i remember this being a video at an E3 and it seemed like it was just really boring voice recognition stuff

what was the hoax part of it?

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Peter Molyneux overselling a product? Why that has never happened before.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Man I remember all the cool poo poo Fable was supposed to have and then I heard it was basically a Zelda game. Also Spore.

Populous is still cool though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Least surprising news of the year.

Nevvy Z posted:

Man I remember all the cool poo poo Fable was supposed to have and then I heard it was basically a Zelda game. Also Spore.

Populous is still cool though.

Spore was Will Wright. Who seems to have given up on video games altogether nowadays.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Molyneux has made a lot of good games, but given the quality of his efforts over the past, um, 15+ years you have to question how much of that success was due to him, or the people working under him.

He's the George Lucas of video games.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I really liked the movies and hoped it'd get a sequel.

the movies was one of those games that i really wanted to like but it had an essential lovely core i couldn't get over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I've made MANY poor purchase choices over the years, and yet I am giddy I did not throw ANY money at this nor Star Citizen. I gotta remember, baby steps.

• Locked thread