Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I liked Fable 1-3. :shrug:

They weren't incredible, but they were fun to just run around and hit things in. I wouldn't say any of them were worth more then $20, but that's what I paid for all three of them.

You can do a lot worse then the Fable series. Even 3 had enough coherent interesting parts to make up for the rather lackluster civil war storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Broken Cog posted:

Nobody remembers the absolutely horrendous "menu" alternative that you had to zone into, or that the maps were 100% useless?

I tried to forget that the levelup menu is a long, gated hallway where you have to physically find the treasure chest for the skill/emote/job upgrade you want. I could live with that, though.

The menu change that really irked me was that you had no ability to choose a specific emote to do with an NPC. You would just cycle through every emote in the smallest subcategories. Want to give someone a friendly handshake or a hug? You better hope the game decides that that is the first friendly emote in that subcategory, or you'll have to dance with them, tell them a joke, and then MAYBE shaking hands will be chosen as the next emote in the chain.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Now that you mention it, he does really look a lot like that Heaven's Gate guy.

Peter Molynuex

Marshall Applewhite

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I'm glad we have folks like John Walker to stand up against the tyranny of mobile developers

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

How about going bankrupt you wanker.

Can't find the video, but I remember Peter once near squeeling with glee that you could zoom in close onto apple and see a worm poking out in Black & White 1.

VVVV Ha gently caress me

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 13, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

happyhippy posted:

How about going bankrupt you wanker.
May wanna re-read the name of that tweeter.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VarXX posted:

I'm glad we have folks like John Walker to stand up against the tyranny of mobile developers

It's more that he's finally asked the most important question rather than continuously provide a conduit for the 'mistakes', and 'naive promises' - but never lies - rather than being some form of leader. Asking the difficult questions is the mark of journalism. Top ten video game villians is what we normally get.

Seriously, Black & White was the last Molyneux I ever got involved in, and that was after the shitheap that was Powermonger.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Can't find the video, but I remember Peter once near squeeling with glee that you could zoom in close onto apple and see a worm poking out in Black & White 1.

I always thought that bit of bullshit came from the Republic pre-release bullshit? Demis Hassabis, ex-Lionshead prodigy. Turns out I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure some of Molyneux rubbed off on young Demis given the promises made about Republic.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its good that someone really attacked Molyneux over this, but its a shame that John Walker was the one to do it. Hes such a loving tit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hav posted:

It's more that he's finally asked the most important question rather than continuously provide a conduit for the 'mistakes', and 'naive promises' - but never lies - rather than being some form of leader. Asking the difficult questions is the mark of journalism. Top ten video game villians is what we normally get.

Asking the difficult questions when the guy's completely irrelevant and getting kicked from all quarters, though. Maybe when people believed this poo poo, and he had a positive reputation, it would have seemed more impressive.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hav posted:

Irrespective of Molyneux, John Walker is definitely no form of journalist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Godus actually looked cool too, and I really liked Populus 2. Just too bad Peter Molyneux is such a horrible loving prick.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think he keeps getting work because most people don't follow developers and have no idea who Molyneux is. I didn't even know he was involved with Movies and thought it was alright. People just see a cool innovative description and back a game, not realizing its the same guy who just lies his head off to make mediocre or crap games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

May wanna re-read the name of that tweeter.

The real Peter Molyneux is playing the victim card in interviews. He absolutely refuses to take responsibility for this mess.

Rookersh posted:

I liked Fable 1-3. :shrug:

They weren't incredible, but they were fun to just run around and hit things in. I wouldn't say any of them were worth more then $20, but that's what I paid for all three of them.

You can do a lot worse then the Fable series. Even 3 had enough coherent interesting parts to make up for the rather lackluster civil war storyline.

I actually liked the Fable series a lot as well, and i'm looking forward to the next Fable game. Fable 1 had a lot of backlash though from people who followed its development because it over promised like crazy and nothing delivered, and then it went from being a PC game to being an Xbox exclusive. It was eventually released for PC though. Fable III was as well.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 13, 2015

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

exquisite tea posted:

Now that you mention it, he does really look a lot like that Heaven's Gate guy.

i cant unsee this now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks to this thread I now know people really hate some guy from rock paper shotgun. Also did anyone even like godus at any point in its development

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Asking the difficult questions when the guy's completely irrelevant and getting kicked from all quarters, though. Maybe when people believed this poo poo, and he had a positive reputation, it would have seemed more impressive.

But people *do* believe his poo poo, which is why he keeps getting funded. And he keeps getting something of a free pass from the press, who water their criticism down to framing him as a mad but adorable uncle who says some things you probably should ignore but look at what he did 30 years ago!

RPS are nailing him to the wall and they're right to do so. I don't give a poo poo that people don't like John Walker, they could've had any member of their team do this interview and they'd still be right. Molyneux is a loving con artist who's gotten away with it for far too long.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
drat, is that interview an overcompensated response to the recent journalism bs? That was brutal and wholly unnecessary.

I'd feel bad for Peter but he could have just left and didn't...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dungeon Keeper remains one of my favourite games and Black and White is still fun if flawed.

The true monsters of this mess are the Kickstarter funders. You knew this was going to happen and you let it happen anyway, handing him enough rope to hang himself and then complaining when the inevitable happened. You sick freaks. A pox on your houses.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My favorite thing about Godus is that after EA released that loving horrible bullshit mobile version of Dungeon Keeper Molyneux blasted it for ruining the series and being nothing but a lovely cash grab. Godus today is mainly being focused on the mobile version that uses the same stupid, lovely ststem all the crappy popular phone games use. A huge liar and a hypocrite!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol http://www.videogamer.com/news/interview_peter_molyneux.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

the panacea posted:

YOU GUYS DONT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING! HE NEEDS TO BECOME GOD OF GODS!! DONT YOU GET IT, THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO!

:lol:

Seriously what a loving joke.

Was this posted already? http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

quote:

RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?

Peter Molyneux: That’s a very…

RPS: I know it’s a harsh question, but it seems an important question to ask because there do seem to be lots and lots of lies piling up.

Peter Molyneux: I’m not aware of a single lie, actually.

RPS: During the Kickstarter for Godus you stated, regarding that you don’t want to use a publisher stating, “It’ll just be you and our unbridled dedication (no publishers).” And five months later you signed with a publisher.

Peter Molyneux: Absolutely. And at that time I wish we had raised enough money to not need a publisher.

RPS: But you got more than you asked–

:smuggo:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yes, it's what most of the discussion has been about over the last 2 pages.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Quest For Glory II posted:

Thanks to this thread I now know people really hate some guy from rock paper shotgun. Also did anyone even like godus at any point in its development

One of my friends was into it a while back, but even her best opinion of it was 'nice game, shame it'll never be finished'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yes, it's what most of the discussion has been about over the last 2 pages.

I saw the first article about how he never contacted the god of gods posted, but I didn't see that interview. I even looked through the pages :( Must have missed it.

Seriously though what a loving moron.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
"This will be my last interview ever!!1"
What better way to get everyone to pay attention to you?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If it was the first, second, third or fourth time those decrying RPS would have a point. But it isn't.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The RPS guy and Molyneux deserve each other. I think I got permanent brain damage from reading that douchebag-off.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
^^ They're both stupid as hell, correct

Guilty until proven innocent

That's the john walker way

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FrickenMoron posted:

"This will be my last interview ever!!1"
What better way to get everyone to pay attention to you?

That and the other two or three last interviews he's done this week.

Gene Simmons is off in the distance, nodding silently in approval.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zigmidge posted:

drat, is that interview an overcompensated response to the recent journalism bs? That was brutal and wholly unnecessary.

It was brutal, but look at it as the pent up frustration of years being a games journalist and never being allowed to ask anything but softballs.

A PR flack watches, ready to not only pull the interview but also put you on the list of people who never get another chance to talk to their charges. You try a question that has a little oomph to it, but your interviewee's eyes glance to his rep, remembering lines that were drilled on a few hours ago. He slickly deflects with a mention of the console transition being difficult for everyone. Then a transition to how the game series, now on it's 7th iteration, has built high expectations from all it's fans. They're the important ones, the gamers. Foiled again, you meekly submit to the usual crap for the rest of the q&a.

Peter Molyneux is an anathema to games journalists because he is a living reminder of their cowardice and past failures. He made his living by exploiting the games media more than he ever did with the quality of the games. For a decade it worked, because he was part of the publisher system and therefore pretty much invulnerable to them. Now he's lost that protection.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dude needs some Ritalin.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VarXX posted:

^^ They're both stupid as hell, correct

Guilty until proven innocent

That's the john walker way

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thirsty Dog posted:

But people *do* believe his poo poo, which is why he keeps getting funded. And he keeps getting something of a free pass from the press, who water their criticism down to framing him as a mad but adorable uncle who says some things you probably should ignore but look at what he did 30 years ago!

RPS are nailing him to the wall and they're right to do so. I don't give a poo poo that people don't like John Walker, they could've had any member of their team do this interview and they'd still be right. Molyneux is a loving con artist who's gotten away with it for far too long.

And the ones who let him get away with it are, in part, the journalists now turning around and finally discovering their balls. That's why I find it funny - it's like kicking an old dude in the knee for being racist. He had it coming but why wait until he's fallen over and broken his leg to do it for chrissake.

Analogies are not my strong point.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That tweet is the gamers thought process in a nutshell.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Are you a poo poo, I'm just asking questions here

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I walked away from the interview thinking "Molyneux can't be trusted" (duh), and "Gaming journalism is absolute poo poo," which I guess should be obvious as well, but I thought people generally were favorable to RPS.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Analogies are not my strong point.

Peter Molyneux is to delivering computer games, as George Zimmermann is to not beating up girl friends.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

I'd feel bad for Peter but he could have just left and didn't...

Why would you feel bad for Peter?

RPS probably felt that it didn't matter, they aren't going to see Peter again and I doubt they want to, he has no ethics or integrity.

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I walked away from the interview thinking "Molyneux can't be trusted" (duh), and "Gaming journalism is absolute poo poo," which I guess should be obvious as well, but I thought people generally were favorable to RPS.

They are, RPS is a good website, there was nothing wrong with that interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Why would you feel bad for Peter?

RPS probably felt that it didn't matter, they aren't going to see Peter again and I doubt they want to, he has no ethics or integrity.

They are, RPS is a good website, there was nothing wrong with that interview.

There's actually a lot wrong with that interview

• Locked thread