Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
He wanted a real live ant farm so he bought a terrarium. And filled it with this gel type of material that has food in it.

Instead of ordering ants through the mail he disrupted a local ant colony by destroying the ground and kept digging until he apparently found the queen. He dumped the queen and a bunch of ants into a Tupperware container and brought them home. There was also a fuckton of eggs he scooped out in assorted stages of incubation(and also crushed a few)

This is the 3rd time he's done this because the last two attempts he wound up accidently killed the queen with a shovel. Honestly he said he was doing this for his kids, but kids want a real pet like a puppy or a kitten, not some lovely ants. I think this is more for him because he attached a bunch of blacklights to the tank to make everything glow purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ants are stupid. Suck a butt, poop dick!

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQnd9hmJye0

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Dave_Indeed posted:

Ants are stupid. Suck a butt, poop dick!

ant gonna kick your rear end

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

How are you enjoying playing with your ants, kids?

*kids are dead with lines of ants marching through their open mouths and empty eye sockets*

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

How are you enjoying playing with your ants, kids?

*kids are ants with teeny tiny Affliction t-shirts on*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Taint Reaper posted:

He wanted a real live ant farm so he bought a terrarium. And filled it with this gel type of material that has food in it.

Instead of ordering ants through the mail he disrupted a local ant colony by destroying the ground and kept digging until he apparently found the queen. He dumped the queen and a bunch of ants into a Tupperware container and brought them home. There was also a fuckton of eggs he scooped out in assorted stages of incubation(and also crushed a few)

This is the 3rd time he's done this because the last two attempts he wound up accidently killed the queen with a shovel. Honestly he said he was doing this for his kids, but kids want a real pet like a puppy or a kitten, not some lovely ants. I think this is more for him because he attached a bunch of blacklights to the tank to make everything glow purple.

What I do for ants is wait until the maiden queenflights, then dig them out of the ground when they burrow to start their nests but they are still only a few inches below the surface.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Xp_qBFoME

Vitruvio
Jan 28, 2015
Antschwitz.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Vitruvio posted:

Antschwitz.

/thread.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Vitruvio posted:

Antschwitz.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
my friend shot an ar-15 into an anthill. i wonder how that must have been for the ants

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gaunab posted:

my friend shot an ar-15 into an anthill. i wonder how that must have been for the ants

terrifying I'll bet

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What? You can't expose ants to blacklight radiation!

gently caress someone call the UN!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sounds like he gave tye ants a better life.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah, those kids would be way better off with a dog. I got a dog from a shelter and he turned out to be pretty cool.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, those kids would be way better off with a dog. I got a dog from a shelter and he turned out to be pretty cool.

That would need to be a small dog or a big terrarium then

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hmm. ants are a literal hivemind so thats only technically only three kills. its not too late for your friend to repent

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You idiot, just dig up a dog's nest until you find the queen dog and then you'll have free dogs for life.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmPFCrqzHcE

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't think the guy in the OP should be allowed to have pets, he sounds like a dumbass idiot

OP your friend is a dumbass idiot

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Vitruvio posted:

Antschwitz.
im out

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrroYDyQ0-E

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
children pay attention to their pets and imitate them. as gbs's resident anthologist, i can say that too much antxposure will teach your children to share food directly from mouth to mouth, communicating via pheromones emitted from the feelers on their foreheads, and crawling up bigger animal's butts. they will also start identifying as gamergates, which is quite unfortunate, considering the current-day prominence of gamer culture

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
In college a stoner friend got an ant farm and then did everything wrong. So the ants started dying, and the live ants would take the body out of the tunnels over to a graveyard. Repeat 98 times and there are 98 bodies in the graveyard and two ants still working, until one dies and the last ant takes his body to the graveyard, returns to work, and dies.

A metaphor.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

redshirt posted:

In college a stoner friend got an ant farm and then did everything wrong. So the ants started dying, and the live ants would take the body out of the tunnels over to a graveyard. Repeat 98 times and there are 98 bodies in the graveyard and two ants still working, until one dies and the last ant takes his body to the graveyard, returns to work, and dies.

A metaphor.

smoke weed everyday

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That's not going to work out, queens don't like that gel substrate stuff and generally walk around on top of it instead of digging in and making a proper egg chamber. Your friend should use clean soil.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
This thread makes me feel itchy. gently caress ants!

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
that gel stuff only keeps ants alive for like a month. it would be like if you had to live inside of a huge marshamallow and carve all your rooms out by eating the mallow.

oh yeah and you have to keep eating out rooms because your poo poo fills up the old ones

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pookum posted:

that gel stuff only keeps ants alive for like a month. it would be like if you had to live inside of a huge marshamallow and carve all your rooms out by eating the mallow.

oh yeah and you have to keep eating out rooms because your poo poo fills up the old ones

what do you do at the end of that month?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

is he belgian op

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ants are the best things.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Ed Wilson be rollin in his cot with all these dumbass goons talking about ants

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Frog Act posted:

what do you do at the end of that month?

there will be like a few ants left but most of them are dead and they just kinda sit around and moving their dead friends to different rooms. its depressing.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
That came across as too mean keep keepin your ants

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pookum posted:

there will be like a few ants left but most of them are dead and they just kinda sit around and moving their dead friends to different rooms. its depressing.

a good way to teach children about reality

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
talkin bout ants with the taint reaper

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pookum posted:

that's hosed up but i guess if you regel it you'll just entomb them

• Locked thread