Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do *you* want to date?
Chihaya
Kana
Taichi
Arata
Porky
Tsutomu
Hisashi
Shinobu
that tiny motherfucker that styled on taichi
Retro
View Results

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
How is Harada-sensei not a poll option? He's so dreamy, I woul-

Oh, right. Fine then, voted Shinobu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Horizontal Tree posted:

This thread needs more gifs of Chihaya eating chocolates

If you insist.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Some nice character development in the newest chapter. Can't wait for the Tokyo regional qualifier finals.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 151 is up on Batoto, although the translator needs to proofread their English a bit more thoroughly.

http://bato.to/read/_/342231/chihayafuru_ch151_by_tdx

Great chapter though. This is the best sports manga.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The last chapter will be an epilogue and Hyoro will be a great coach for Chihaya's kids

I can totally see this happening. The only question now is who is the father?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Daddy Bear, of course.

I think we need a paternity test on Snowmaru as well, just to be sure.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That's a pretty kick-rear end chapter. Get your rear end back to the club, Taichi! You loving idiot ahhhhh!

The next Chihayafuru shirt Teespring needs to make is Taichi's "Chillaxin Rx" t-shirt, which is amazing.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I was prepared to be sad about a crappy live action movie, but that trailer has me pretty pumped.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 156 is up already! The start of playoffs, and lots of emotion with Sakurazawa sensei.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

How many years have we been waiting for this?

I think it's been almost six years of in-story time since they played each other? I'm super pumped, holy poo poo.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm so drat happy for Hyoro and Hokuo, and so drat sad for everyone else.

I'm forgetting, do we still have the individual high school tournament coming up next? I require more Shinobu. And more Suo for that matter, but I suppose that has to wait.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I am so hyped for this. Regardless of who wins, I just want Shinobu to respect Chihaya's karuta because it seems like that's the only way they're going to become friends.

They really need to be buddies! :3:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Cowwan posted:

Based on the last few pages I should probably start reading the manga shouldn't I?

If you liked the show, then you will certainly like the manga! It's currently way past where the anime left off and there have been some seriously big plot developments.

The last few pages of hype have been for emotional, suspense-filled card games, and the next chapter is going to be a clash of the Titans, a duel to the death with blood on the tatami, too shocking for pay-per-view, a battle of tactics and memory and reaction time so epic that the fate of the entire universe depends upon the outcome! Chihaya will probably sleep through it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 173 is out!

Nishida, you glorious, selfless bastard! The size of two men, with the heart of ten!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

This is awesome, but is it digital only? I want print volumes.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I will never give up hope.

:same:

In fact, if a third season of Chihayafuru is not announced by January 1, 2019, I will gift avatar certs (or plat or archives if that is preferred) to the top three posters in this thread at that time. :toxx:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 176 is up! Good luck with your multitasking, Chihaya.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Those two Shinobu chapters were great, it's heartwarming to see the Queen breaking her isolation.

And this latest chapter! Taichi embracing his inner sadist is super satisfying.

On a side note, who did the guest art for this cover?! It looks like something by Umino Chika with those rosy cheeks and delicious foods!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Enjoy season 2 Vildiil!

And then

Neeksy posted:

Go watch March comes in like a Lion.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

And chapter 182 is up now as well!

:3:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The hits keep on coming! Chapter 183.

A few of Hanano's lines seem awkwardly translated, but I still want to send TDX group a big box of chocolates for their hard work. Hype matches coming up!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I'm glad I correctly didn't get my hopes up. All that guest art sounds cool, I hope it makes it to the internet so we can see it.

Yuki Setsugu did a end-of-episode splash art thing (what are those called?) for an episode of March Lion, and now Umino is doing guest art for Chihayafuru. I love it when my favorite things overlap :3:

380 days left on my toxx, come ooooon season 3.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Does Chihaya even have a dad?

Yes, and he's a good wholesome father whose purpose in life is to pay off the mortgage and collect items to add to his scrapbooks of his daughters.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

TDX put up a zip download of chapter 192 on their blog, but no one has uploaded it to batoto (I assume due to its impending demise) and therefore it's not on any of the other manga sites (because they all just scrape from batoto like soulless leeches).

I took the liberty of putting it on imgur as a temporary way to share it more easily than a zip file: Chapter 192

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 193 is up!

The hype is real! I hate Taichi's new haircut though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Yes!

Mentat Radnor posted:

In fact, if a third season of Chihayafuru is not announced by January 1, 2019, I will gift avatar certs (or plat or archives if that is preferred) to the top three posters in this thread at that time. :toxx:

https://i.imgur.com/xToizdY.gifv

Hace posted:

There will never be a season 3.

Hahahahaha!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

In Training posted:

We should have a simulwatch thread of s1/2 in the lead up. Do they still do simulwatches in this forum, this is the only thread I've checked in the last 3 years

People just do impromptu simulwatches using cytube because it's a lot easier to say "hey click this link to watch anime together with a vid player and chatroom in your browser" than organizing a big scheduled event where everyone has to click play at the same time and then make forum posts about it.

But yes, it's a good idea.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

i've never seen this, but I bet I'd like it. A simulwatch would be cool I think

It's a wonderful mashup of sports, shoujo romance, character drama, and comedy with a dash of Japanese Literature class for good measure, all set to one of the best soundtracks in anime history.

If someone organizes a simulwatch I'll try to show up!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

How much of the manga did the first two seasons cover? It seems close to ending now so I wonder if s3 is enough to finish it.

I'm pretty sure Seasons 1 + 2 only covered up to around chapter 93, and the manga is currently up to chapter 193 so if they keep the pacing the same and don't cut out a ton there should be enough for two more two-cour seasons. The manga does feel like it's probably going to wrap up within the next ~25 chapters (but who knows), so I would hazard a guess that season 4 will cover the ending when it comes out in 2021 or something.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Unrelated to the Season 3 hype, here's Chapter 194.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 28, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Intense Karuta battles! Chapter 195.

Taichi is playing Arata like a fiddle, but can he keep up with the terrifying speed of a true Karuta prodigy? Will Chihaya find a way to overcome Yuikawa Momo's annoying card placement and "just sweep all my cards lol :smugdog:" technique?!

Find out on the next exciting episode of Chihayafuru!! *badass metal guitar riff plays*

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapter 197!

So good.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapters 198 and 199 are up!

The super hype matches continue, and Taichi's mom is a more sympathetic character than she initially seemed, just like every other character in this series.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

TDX just put up chapters 200-203 all at once and now I'm too drat excited to read it, like I need to take some deep breaths and make a cup of tea.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapters 204 and 205 are up!

Holy poo poo! It has been a while since this manga made me cry.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

Around what chapter does season 2 end? The feels from that were too powerful and I can no longer ignore the manga

About half-way through Chapter 93 is where Season 2 ended.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapters 206 and 207 are up!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

So someone got tired of waiting for TDX and has uploaded Chapter 208 - 214 over on mangadex!

The translation and typesetting are certainly not as good as TDX, but I couldn't help myself and binged through the chapters. Never expected a ~social media influencer~ arc, but here we are in 2019. More Shinobu always makes me happy though! Unrelated, I wish Chitose would grow the gently caress up already, sheesh.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Chapters 215-217 are up! It's /a/non's clunky translations again, but I'll take it and ask for more even while I miss TDX scans.

This is it, it's finally happening! Actual matches probably start next chapter! :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man I really need to rewatch the first two seasons of this before season three comes out, I loved it. Loved the entire cast, pretty much.

except taichi, taichi loving sucks i hate him so much fuckin male entitlement rear end rich boy mothefucker

Rewatch sounds great and I plan to do the same! Maybe someone will get the motivation and time to host a rewatch cytube stream but it won't be me sadly.

As for Taichi . . . Wtf? His whole character arc is him growing out of being a spoiled little poo poo, finding something he cares about and wants to work towards being good at with his own hard work and skill. Rough manga spoilers: even though his love for Chihaya was undoubtedly his original motivation, he finds a real purpose in karuta as a way of proving and improving himself that is wholely outside of his family's wealth and his mom's pressure to succeed in more traditional pursuits, and that's what makes him an endearing character.

Chihayafuru as a whole is very good at introducing characters that you hate when you first meet them, and then pushing them through arcs where they mature and grow while you learn more about their internal struggles until they become lovable as gently caress in their own way. It's my favorite aspect of the series.