Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
My game includes characters from other indie hits, even ones that make no sense in context! We indie devs are such good buddies, and not at all trying to leech off each other's past successes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cracked_Gear posted:

Nes like games are easy to make. I'm a pretty lovely artist and even I can do pixel art. theyre easy to make and not resource demanding which is why theyve spread like cockroaches

Now show me a game that mimics the PS1 including polygon warping and no Z buffer :q:

pixel art *seems* easy to do but very few games did it well even during their heyday.

The Whole Internet posted:

Graphics

The only complaint i have about the game is that it's yet another NES style retro game. I'd like to see more 16 and 32 bit era stuff, and y'know not just Nintendo ecosystem stuff.

(The game itself is awesome though).

What about Super Time Force Ultra, then? I know it is another pixel graphics game but I think they are really top tire and a lot prettier to look at than many bigger budget games where graphics were a focus.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand why the bank won't give us a loan. I showed them all the concept art and even examples of other people who we're shamelessly ripping off made money doing exactly the same thing!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

I just don't understand why the bank won't give us a loan. I showed them all the concept art and even examples of other people who we're shamelessly ripping off made money doing exactly the same thing!

It was the huge ashtray-sized gauges in your ears.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

suck my dick. choke on it. you little bitch what did you say to me.

why aren't any of you NERDS talking about benghazi???

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
You know what genre needs deconstructed? Incremental games. What do you mean "What's an incremental game"? Like cookie clicker! We just need to streamline the gameplay (Clicking? That is so 2013) and add an unseen, but highly dynamic lesbian protagonist. Also we find out at the end of the game that the world was destroyed by nukes, and it was all a dream or hallucination or something. We can figure the plot out after we get it on steam.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
What do you mean our AI guy has to go to Fat Camp this summer?!?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
We took some classes on Swift at onemonth.com; I think we're ready to make our first game!
*looks at tasks on white board*
So... uh, who wants to take "Create vast, persistent world?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

We took some classes on Swift at onemonth.com; I think we're ready to make our first game!
*looks at tasks on white board*
So... uh, who wants to take "Create vast, persistent world?"

Maybe if we break it down into sub-tasks?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
"Ok guys, this is the crunch, we have a week to get it into a presentable sha-"
"NERF GUN FIGHT!!!!"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Applewhite posted:

It's a Centipede-inspired roguelike in a procedurally generated world with crafting elements.

If you had said Asteroids instead of Centipede you could be an idea man at Atari right now.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cracked_Gear posted:

Now show me a game that mimics the PS1 including polygon warping and no Z buffer :q:

Freedom Planet adheres to Saturn rules, AFAIK. But it's still 2-D, sort of like MMX4 or Astal.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
*makes a thread in Games to shill, is utterly clueless about everything in the world*

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The joke is most retro graphics didn't look like the "pixel-art" people put into these games, at all.

Screenshot from a game from 1986.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Police Automaton posted:

The joke is most retro graphics didn't look like the "pixel-art" people put into these games, at all.

Defender of the Crown?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We should open a forum on our website. It's a great way to interact with our fans.

Moderators? What for?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Defender of the Crown?

yeah

dem tits

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Police Automaton posted:

would

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah

dem tits

I played this game before I could read so I always thought she was Maid Marian.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Durrr I'm fat and gay

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Applewhite posted:

Maybe if we break it down into sub-tasks?

1:M'yes, sounds good. Ok, let's schedule another meeting to discu- *tiny, mentally unstable Ukrainian man who is the only one in the team who can code and works for 2/3rd of what everyone else makes flies out of nowhere, gibbering, and latches onto lead* -AHHH WHAT IS IT, GET IT OFF ME, GET IT OFF ME!

2:NO MORE MEETING! MEETING SOLVE NOTHING! NO MORE MEETING! *is dragged away by staff*

1:... ahem, ok then... that was weird. So... next item, where should we move the office; San Francisco, London or on the Eiffel Tower?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
textures? what the gently caress are textures?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Professor Tomtom posted:

Durrr I'm fat and gay

don't think gaben countsa s indie

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Hey guys, people are loving the gently caress out of our half-finished Early Acces game for some reason. What should we do?

*Releases game in episodes for €30 a pop*

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
*desperately sends out game to any youtube personality they can think of*

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Sells game for 99 cents

game is loaded with ads, in app purchases and PLEASE DONATE!! links

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Police Automaton posted:

we can ditch these archaic color restrictions. we can ditch these archaic palettes and harmonies

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mysterious frankie posted:

1:M'yes, sounds good. Ok, let's schedule another meeting to discu- *tiny, mentally unstable Ukrainian man who is the only one in the team who can code and works for 2/3rd of what everyone else makes flies out of nowhere, gibbering, and latches onto lead* -AHHH WHAT IS IT, GET IT OFF ME, GET IT OFF ME!

2:NO MORE MEETING! MEETING SOLVE NOTHING! NO MORE MEETING! *is dragged away by staff*

1:... ahem, ok then... that was weird. So... next item, where should we move the office; San Francisco, London or on the Eiffel Tower?

i vote london because of doctor who because they have great subsidies for indie devs

brah we're gonna be making so much bank off this poo poo who gives a gently caress if it'll cost us two grand a month to rent a one-room studio

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
you know what would be cool? An indie game developer deliviering a finished game that's good

E: quietly, and without much of an announcement besides "here's my game have fun"

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
*sells game at $20 even though it's been out for over 2 years and nobody is buying it anymore*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Realtalk: I'm a sucker for games with this art style

I can't get enough of them and never want them to stop coming out.
E: Also Risk of Rain and Gods Will Be Watching have this style but I couldn't grab any screenshots I liked.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Our game will have robust mod support.

(Game is never released. What little is released as a pre-alpha preview build is openly antagonistic to modders.)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It'll cost HOW MUCH to fix our game crashing bugs?!?!
*fumes silently at $4k desk, swivels around $500 Dxracer chair, turns on $600 coffee machine and stares at $3k pokemon pixel art painting.*

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

E: Also Risk of Rain and Gods Will Be Watching have this style but I couldn't grab any screenshots I liked.

Too bad gods will be watching is a n objectively bad game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applewhite posted:

Ah yes, blobby pixelart with too many small details and dark colors so everything is some hideous cacophony of blocks.

Pixelart really never looked so loving hideous in actual old games.
Unless it was like Atari 2600.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Ah yes, blobby pixelart with too many small details and dark colors so everything is some hideous cacophony of blocks.

Yeah, I like pixel art but at least in the nes/snes era they tried to make those things look as clean and detailed as possible.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Ryoshi posted:

Our game will have robust mod support.

(Game is never released. What little is released as a pre-alpha preview build is openly antagonistic to modders.)

*releases barebones game with complex dev tools expecting modding community to do all the work*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

memy posted:

Too bad gods will be watching is a n objectively bad game

Oh thank God I thought I was the only one.
It looks beautiful though.

Also: Dungeon of the Endless and Deep Dungeons of Doom have some great art and animation and DDoD is very fun. DoE I'm still working on but don't have the time to get very good at.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Hello, I'm a woman and a game developer and a feminist.

Oh, no! I'm in an episode of Law & Order, SVU!

AAAAAAARGH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applewhite posted:

Oh thank God I thought I was the only one.
It looks beautiful though.

Also: Dungeon of the Endless and Deep Dungeons of Doom have some great art and animation and DDoD is very fun. DoE I'm still working on but don't have the time to get very good at.

You PORKY POG BITCH

DDDDDD DD DDD DOOE DDDD SDDIIS U gently caress MY rear end

• Locked thread