Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So yeah, I'm running an Ironclaw game!

Anyway! It is the Not Renaissance mixed with the Not Elizabethan Era. In Calabria, the western world part of the world (mostly Not France, Not Italy, Not Scotland and Not Ireland), the nobility has been losing power, as technology advances and the merchant and middle classes begin to rise. Tensions are rising both between the noble houses and between noble and peasant. In Zhongguo (mostly Not China, Not Tibet and Not India), the eastern part of the world, the tension there is lesser - but only because most of Zhongguo has not yet embraced new technology. They are but ten years free of a tyrannical emperor, and while his son has been doing a much better job, some still whisper that his family's time is over - that a new dynasty must be put on the throne, or an old one reinstated. A peasant rebellion brews, though tainted in the eyes of the public by some of its more famous, dangerous members, who embrace even necromancy in their acts against the Empire.

I've written up most of what you need here. Feel free to catch me on #persona to ask me questions about stuff! If there is a species you want that doesn't have stats, I will work with you to make the stats for them. Most of the time it won't even be super hard! Some things to note: there are talking reptile and insect people, mostly in Zhongguo, but all non-talking animals are either reptiles, insects or fish. There are no mammals that aren't people.

Why? Who knows! But that means mounted knights ride motherfucking dinosaurs.

So yeah! The focus on this game is going to be political intrigue, class conflict and the poo poo that you, the players, are interested in! (Most of my games are heavily influenced by what my players want to focus on.)

Some notes for chargen: Martial arts of any kind (that has a special tag, anyway) can only be learned by someone from Zhongguo or a really good excuse. Likewise for Atavisms and Calabria. Other than that, my house rule is everyone gets a free language in addition to their native one; these both should be in the chargen document in the stuff I linked, but I'm mentioning them again.

This is gonna be PBP, because I like PBP.

Anyway catch me in #persona on SynIRC if you need poo poo.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Might be making a big n' tuff tiger once I get time to sit down and look at this stuff more.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I am always up for some revolutionary action, but the IC timeline seems a little early to be sansing our culottes and putting the heads of duchesses on pikes, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Maybe get my Cromwell on?

I feel kinda lovely about pirating games these days - which version of this crazy thing are you pulling from?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Second: Ironcaw Omnibus/Book of Jade/Book of Mysteries.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 12, 2015

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

I might try my hand at making some sort of avian magic user. More to come as I peruse the books.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Added an explanation of what Skill Marks do to the chargen doc.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

gonna app a thing because holy poo poo of COURSE i am

watch this space for a dashing adventurous mouselady or a weird Not A People Deerperson or something idk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am either gonna make a vole or rat or maybe a raven who is also a plague doctor. I will get to work ASAP.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
A large part of me wants to make something unlikely like a dashing donkey musketeer or something, because that sounds hilarious in my head.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Brekka

Pretend it's less spacey and scrap the puppy pal. The cat and the sword are pretty spot on, if a bit less armored.

The big, dumb muscle on the side making sure nobody bothers you while you do important things far above my paygrade. Sure, keep thinking that. Makes my job easier. You give me coin, I make sure you don't end up on a spitroast for the hyenas. If there's no danger about, I'm just background dressing for you. Then you start talking with your big shot friends, let loose market secrets or info about a death amongst royalty that's being covered up so people don't hear about it. I'm just busy making sure nothing sweeps up and guts you like you expect, don't mind me a bit. We get done, I get paid and I'm out of your way.

Then, later that night, I meet up with a friend of mine. Maybe I let slip a few things about what you were planning, maybe I get a few more coins for my trouble. Who knows, I'm just some brute chugging down ale and wasting away amongst the plebeians. None of your concern, don't suspect me for a thing. Then, when things suddenly turn south for you and all your plans happen to unravel as a few other interested parties interject, you come back to me. You need a bodyguard again, or some muscle to stand around somewhere and look imposing. The cycle continues.

I could just as well be as dumb as people think I am, but that's boring and nowhere near as profitable. Plenty of nobles have spurred on war longer than need be just to keep the economy working their way, I just work on a smaller scale. Occasionally I break a few ribs and remind people I get the pay I do for a reason, that breaks up the monotony. What's this week got in store for me, then? Could use a new pair of boots, getting holes in my good ones.

Concept: Conniving Mercenary

Body: d10 (+1 trait)
Speed: d6
Mind: d6
Will: d6
Species: d4
Career: d10 (+1 trait)

Tiger
Habitat: Forest
Diet: Carnivore
Cycle: Night
Senses: Listen
Weapons: Claws, Teeth
Species Skills: Jumping, Presence, Stealth
Species Gifts: Increased Trait: Body, Night Vision, Strength

Brute
Career Skills: Brawling, Dodge, Presence
Career Gifts: Brawling Combat, Strength (Increased Trait: Career), Veteran
Career Gear: Leather Armor (d6), Cestus (Damage +1, Parry d12)

Other Gifts: Mighty Grip, Low Profile, Brawling Focus

Other Gear: The rest of that Cestus (Wooden Shield, d8 cover die), The good ol' Bastard (Bastard Sword, Damage +3, awkward), small cask of spirits, a hooded lantern and oil, stuff to camp with, stuff to light fires, a chapbook and charcoal for drawing and practicing letters, some whetstones to keep the sword sharp, and a pack to hold all that stuff. Ten denarii to spare, getting a little low for my tastes. Camp stuff gets left where I'm staying if I'm about a city, not about to lug a tent everywhere I go.

Personality: Tough
Local Knowledge: Bisclavret. A city full of people who want to gut each other but don't want it on their hands makes a full purse for me.
Languages: Calabrese and Zhonggese. Need to know the important stuff to deal with any and all clients.

Marks
Melee 3 (Big Swords)
Brawling 2 (Gut Punching)
Endurance 2 (Unflinching)
Observation 2 (Listening)
Presence 2 (Staredown)
Dodge 1 (Sidestep)
Academics 1 (History)

Motto: To the highest bidder.
Goal: Figure out what that snake hiring me now is really up to. (said snake is probably a fellow PC because it's more fun that way, may or may not be actual snake)

Gifts

Night Vision: You can see better in the dark. For spotting and attacks, treat poor lighting as fair lighting. You can travel at night at full speed rather than half speed.
Strength: Brawl, melee, thrown attacks add an extra d8. Carry 1/2/3 extra stone at no/burdened/overburdened
Veteran: Aim and Guard are at a bonus d12 instead.
Brawling Fighter: Can use Body+Brawl to parry. Always threaten at close. Counter with Brawl.
Mighty Grip: You may use Awkward weapons as if they were not Awkward.
Low Profile: When rolling to deceive others that you’re an unimportant bystander or to stealthily blend in with a crowd, you may claim a bonus d12.
Brawling Focus: When rolling initiative bare-handed, gain focus with one success.

Putting this all together I'm actually really interested to see how this works out. There's reasons to use both Brawl and Melee together, I can roll up on dudes and scare the poo poo out of them as a thing in combat, and progression will let Brekka show off that's she's smarter than she looks. This seems surprisingly rad. Gonna play a slightly more passive role, someone should give me a character to work for!

Added three gifts and favors for all my marks. Was half tempted to boost Body more and take Giant but that's a lot of early investment for a goofy thing.

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 13, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...whoops, I left out a step in the chargen doc!

You get to choose 3 Gifts of your own choice, so long as they aren't Natural, too!

(Also you get Favorite Uses for every skill you have marks in. That was in there, just a reminder/clarification.)

its me i am the worst document maker

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Oh, whoops, thought it was just one marked skill. Cool, I'll go fix those things then. While I'm thinking about it, a question about dice: Do you have to roll all 1s to get a botch, or is any 1 in a roll a botch? It sounds like the former, but I'm not entirely sure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All 1s. This why any second die on a roll is good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

This setting gives you just enough rope you hang yourself with. I think I've figured out who I am and where I'm from.

While I'm finishing my sheet, is Maglinoquentia not-Latin?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Essentially, yes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Planning on apping... something.

Probably someone into political shenanigans.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ju'an

Why yes, I am far out of my way. Kind of you to notice.
Surprised? One does not spend time in a place without eventually catching on to the language. It's not like it's complicated, compared to home...

Was that insulting? My apologies.

In any case, that leg of yours is broken. You'll have to stay off it if you ever wish to ride again.

I'm sorry. But the facts don't change because you will them to. Patience is your only friend. Luckily, patience is a good friend. Time will do its work on you now. You are not dead, rejoice! For the world continues on and will bear you into a happier future.

Concept: Wandering Taoist From Afar

Body: d4
Mind: d10 (+1 trait)
Will: d10 (+1 trait)
Species: d6
Career: d6

Qiling
Habitat: Mountains
Diet: Herbivore
Cycle: Day
Senses: Listen, Smell, Spot
Weapons: Horns, Hooves
Species Skills: Observation, Supernatural, Weather Sense
Species Gifts: Fast Mover, Increased Trait: Mind, Increased Trait: Will

Taoist Wizard: Wizard-priest of the Tao.
Career Skills: Academics, Dodge, Supernatural
Career Gifts: Taoist Trappings, Literacy: Zhongwen, Taoist Apprentice
Career Gear: Robes, Rod (Damage +2, Parry d12), Wand

Secrets of Metal Taoist Magic - Magic, Skill
Requires: Taoist Magic Trappings Gift, Literacy: Zhongwen Gift, Language: Zhonggese Gift
● Add one Mark to Craft. If you lose this Gift, you also lose this Mark.
● While wearing a Bai Robe, you may claim an Extra Action every round to Refresh, but
only to Refresh the Gift of Taoist Apprentice.

Metal Hexagram Magic - Magic, Taoist, Metal, Hexagram
Requires: Literacy: Zhongwen Gift, Language: Zhonggese Gift, Secrets of Metal Taoist Magic
Gift, Taoist Magic Trappings Gift
● You may cast the following Metal Hexagram spells. To cast these spells, you must ready
two spells, requiring the free hands or weapons to do so.
○ Cacophany of Instruments
○ Cleaver of the Gods
○ A Night in the Graveyard of Swords
○ Scald with Irons from the Forge
○ Suffer the Rain and Rust Away
● X (Respite): Even if it’s not your turn, you may exhaust this Gift to instantly equip a spell
that has both the Metal and Magic descriptors. It is instantly ready, and is equipped to
your Talisman. You may use it normally, or you may combine it with a spell in your hand,
Wand or Rod to cast a Hexagram spell. The spell remains ready until the end of the
scene (5 minutes) or until it is used.

Medicine - Specialty
● When rolling to use academic knowledge to help a patient recover from injury or
sickness, to inquire about a patient’s history or to identify a cause of death, you may
claim a bonus d12.

Personality: Patient - Major, Personality
Choose a single word to describe one of your major personality traits. After any die roll you make, you may exhaust this Gift to claim a bonus d12 if the roll is somehow relevant to your chosen Personality. The GM is final judge of whether a roll is relevant.
Whenever you spend XP, you may, with the GM’s approval, change your Personality choice to a different one for free.

Local Knowledge: The Mountain Jianta (Chi) - Specialty
Choose a specific place when you take this Gift. You know it like the back of your hand. You may claim an extra d12 on rolls to know where things are, to gossip with the natives or to elude pursuit, as well as any other rolls related to the knowledge that the GM allows.
Manifold: You may take this Gift multiple times, choosing a different place each time.

Marks
Academics: 2 (Medicine)
Craft: 2(3) (Simplicity)
Dodge: 1 (Flow away)
Gossip: 1 (Parable)
Inquiry: 2 (Friendliness)
Negotiation: 1 (Gentle urging)
Observation: 1(2) (Passivity)
Supernatural: 2(3) (Dao)
Weather Sense: 1(2) (Smelling the Storm)

Motto: Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Goal: Assist in things taking their proper course.

Gear: Metalworking Tools (1/2)
8 day's food (2)
Hat. (0)
Sleeping gear (Blanket, Tent, etc)(1)

Initiative: d6+d10
Stride: 1
Dash: 3
Run: 13
Dodge Defense: d6+d4
Soak: d4

Languages: Zhonggese, Calabrese

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

pre:
Enri Aetinne Caius Jouett de Lusignan
Concept: Not-Hugenot mousketeer
Motto: In nocte consilium

Body: d6
Speed: d8
Career: d8

Init: d8, d6
Dash: 4
Sprint: d8
Run: 18
Dodge: d8, d8
Parry: (rapier only) d6, d6, d8
Soak: d6, d6
Armor: d6

Skills
Academics	x
Brawling	
Climbing (s)	
Craft		
Deceit		
Digging (s)	
Dodge		xxx
Endurance	
Gossip		
Inquiry		
Jumping		
Leadership	xx
M. Combat (c)	xx
Negotiation	
Observation	
Presence	
R. Combat (c) 	xx
Riding		
Searching	
Stealth (s)	
Supernatural	
Swimming	
Tactics	(c)	xxx
Throwing	
Vehicles	
Weather Sense	

Gifts
Contortionist 
Coward
Keen Ears
Hiking (+d12 for long distance travel on foot)
Resolve (Will dice as bonus to Soak)
Veteran (When Aiming, d12. When Guarding, d12)
Personality: Patient
Local Knowledge: Thanon
Literacy
Musketeer's Trappings
Fencing (Parry w/Body, Melee, and Dodge)
Nobility

Gear (2st/5st/8st)
Denarii: 8

Musket (2 hands, Medium, Speed-Ranged, d8 vs defense, Spark d10, Dam+2 Slaying, 
	.75 stone, Loud, Proscribed, Reload/8)
Bullet mold
Gun repair kit
powder horn
Monopod (Off hand, Close, Body-Melee v. def, Dam+2, Awkward, .25 stone, truncheon)
Rapier (G.Hand, Close, Body-Melee v. def, Dam+2 impaling, .125 stone, 
	fencing, rapier)
Leather armor (d6 armor, .5 st)

Backpack (.25 st)
Old uniform (.25 st)
Hat
Blanket (.125 st)
Cutlery (.125 st)
Fire Kit (.125 st)
First Aid Kit (.25 st)
Metal mug (.125 st)
Chapbooks (.25 st)
Charcoal pencils (.125 st)
Rope (.25 st)
Spikes, Iron (.25 st)

Habitat: Plains
Diet: Herbivore
Cycle: Nights
Species Bonus Skills: Climbing, Digging, Stealth
Career Bonus Skills: Melee, Ranged, Tactics

Languages: Calabrese, Maglinoquentia
Goal: Come to know more about the Musketeers

My dearest Elodie,

I have superlative news! I am now one of the Corps of Musketeers, and by the time you read this, my first stipend should have reached the city (rather, Thanon - I suppose I must become accustomed to this change in perspective!). The creditors should hound us no more, thank the Most Venerated.

I hope to send my next stipend direct to our doorstep. I ask your forbearance in this, my love, but please allot a portion for the children; I recall our discussion, but it has been far too long since we were able to indulge them, and it would please me greatly that they had something to mark their father's fondness for them both.

Might I add that I entreat you to do the same for yourself, but I have known you far too long and I anticipate your good stewardship will once again overcome your frivolity, despite my best attempts.

Still, know that I think of you and home every day, my beloved.

As it is crowded and full of Penitents, though it pains me to say it is likely for the best you have stayed at home, but in spite of myself there is something about Triskellian that fascinates me, wife. The rumors are true, in a fashion - though our bretheren are not welcomed here, in as such, certainly do I feel no more discriminated against than in Thanon. Most in the city are far too involved in their own intrigues to care about the devotion of their fellow citizens, I believe.

It is also true about the city that the common folk are able to ascend to a kind of power unto themselves. This curious system is to be thanked, in a way, for it is its structure that has built a demand for the service of myself and my new cohort. As the constabulary is to police the plebeians, so we of higher natures police the patricians. My immediate fellows and I answer to the High Court of the city, in particular a Judge new to my acquaintance and one of the Rinaldi. I have yet to meet His Right Honorable Lordship, but those I have conversed with speak highly of the man, as I understand it.

It is a curious thing indeed to see the machinations of our counterparts in the Constabulary. The Guilds watch themselves, and I must say, for a legal apparatus operated in whole by unblooded clerks, things run well, though if lacking in the personal and paternal touch we are accustomed to. By the by, it would do you well not to mention the specifics of this letter to Luc or Nina. Though I love the man like a brother, he is more than sufficiently outspoken already, and he needs no more ideas above his station.

It will not surprise you, but I have gone on too long, and the sun sets, I am afraid, and so I must draw this letter to a close. Know that I am well, and that I think of you and Solene and Theo all the time.

My heart longs for you, and you are in my prayers, beloved.

- E

-

Alright. I think I got everything right. I burned two species gifts and bought an extra gift from the XP. Shout at me if I goofed.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 17, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just toss your species' name in there somewhere so I don't have to go looking it up via cross-reference, if you could?

Oh, I see it, mouse, okay.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Enpictured.

You never really think about some things until you're put into a corner. In this case, do animal people have head-hair like humans? Is it colored differently from the rest of their hair? Does this enhance or reduce a character's appeal? And how cartoony should you make a picture of a cartoon animal person in an ostensibly realistic-ish historical setting?

What I'm saying is that Ironclaw has driven me to drink.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Now I'm just imagining a world full of actual animals wearing powdered wigs, but I guess that'd be after this time?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Working on a Jackal condottiere, an amoral, self-interested dandy loveable rogue.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm putting together what looks to be an assassin. But is it just me, or does the spy template seem to make a better assassin than the assassin one in terms of skills and such?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Epicurius posted:

I'm putting together what looks to be an assassin. But is it just me, or does the spy template seem to make a better assassin than the assassin one in terms of skills and such?

That depends on how subtle an assassination needs to be, doesn't it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mors Rattus posted:

That depends on how subtle an assassination needs to be, doesn't it?

This is true.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gonna say this closes on Friday. Get your stuff done for then!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aureo dalle Bande Rosse

That's the question you have of me? Am I a hero?

Perhaps I am. Or a villain. A master tactician - or a masterful fraud. A soldier or a bandit? A romantic or a lecher? Brave or cruel, clever or lazy, confident or arrogant, dashing or laughable?

Yes! Yes, to all of it! Everything you have heard about me is true and more.

For a reasonable fee, your enemies can see it first hand.

And for an unreasonable fee, I'll ignore their reasonable one.

quote:

Concept: Dashing Rogue With A Taste for Gold
Motto: It is far better to be rich than loved if you cannot be both.
Goal: Get rich or die trying.

Body: d8 (+1 trait)
Will: d8
Career: d8/d4

Initiative: d6 + d6
Run: 18
Dodge Defense: d6 + d6
Soak: d8 + d8

Native Language: Calabrese
Free Language: Berla Feini

Species: Jackal
- Habitat: Forest
- Diet: Omnivore
- Cycle: Day
- Senses: Listen, Smell
- Weapons: Claws, Teeth
- Skills: Endurance, Searching, Stealth
- Gifts: Increased Trait: Body, Keen Ears, Keen Nose

Career: Mercenary
- Skills: Dodge, Melee Combat, Ranged Combat
- Gifts: Haggling, Resolve, Veteran
- Gear: Longsword (Damage +2), Shortbow (Damage +0 Critical), Wooden Shield (Cover d8), Leather Armor (d6), Dagger

Career: Dilettante
- Skills: Gossip, Inquiry, Negotiation

Gifts:
Dilettante's Trappings
Extra Career: Dilettante
Haggling
Increased Trait: Body
Literacy: Calabrese
Nobility
Resolve
Veteran

Personality Gift:
Audacious

Local Knowledge Gift:
Triskellian

Marks:
Deceit 1 (Lying)
DodgeM 2 (Acrobatic)
GossipD 1 (Insults)
Leadership 2 (Inspiration)
Melee CombatM 2 (One-Handed Swords)
NegotiationD 1 (Contracts)
Presence 1 (Boasting)
Ranged CombatM 1 (Pistols)
Tactics 2 (Treachery)

Gear: (.5 Dinarri) [3 1/6 Stone]
Rapier (1/8 Stone)
Main-Gauche (1/8 Stone)
Pistol (1/4 Stone)
Longsword (1/4 Stone)
Shortbow (1/8 Stone)
Dagger (1/8 Stone)
Wood Shield (1/2 Stone)
Leather Armor (1/2 Stone)
Rich Clothes (1/4 Stone)
Genuine Letter of Recommendation (0 Stone)
Signet Ring (1/32 Stone)
Nice Hat (1/8 Stone)
Fair Dice (1/16 Stone)
Loaded Dice (1/16 Stone)
Pipe (1/16 Stone)
Chap Book (1/16 Stone)
Purse (1/8 Stone)
Leather Flask (1/8 Stone)
Spirits (1/4 Stone)

Attacks:
Rapier - Body d8 + Melee d6 - Damage +2 Impaling - Good Hand, Close Range [Fencing, Rapier]
Main Gauche - Body d8 + Melee d6 - Damage +2, Parry d8 - Off Hand, Close Range [Fencing]
Longsword - Body d8 + Melee d6 - Damage +2 - Good Hand, Close Range [Blade]
Dagger - Body d8 + Melee d6 - Damage +1 - Off Hand, Close Range [Blade, Concealable, Thrown]
Shortbow - Speed d6 + Ranged d4 - Damage +0 Critical - 2 Hands, Medium Range [Bow, Reload/1]
Pistol- Speed d6 + Ranged d4 - Spark d10, Damage +2 Slaying - Good Hand, Short Range [Rare, Gun, Loud, Reload/10]

Armor:
Leather - Armor d6
Wooden Shield - Cover d8 [Strapped to Arm]

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 1, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Note: if you have something up but unfinished, you'll be able to finish it over the weekend, since I've got to do three shifts anyway over that. Just, y'know, have something up by tomorrow.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Name: Richard Repense
Concept: Overly-Exuberant Bisclavretian Knight-Errant
Motto: For Valor and Honor!
Goal: Become a legend

Body: 1d8
Speed: 1d6
Mind: 1d4
Will: 1d8
Species: 1d6
Career: 1d6

Species: Bat
Habitat: Forests
Diet: Carnivore
Species Skills: Climbing, Searching, Weathersense
Species Gifts: Echolocation, Flight. Prehensile feet

Career: Knight-Errant
Career Skills: Dodge, Melee Combat, Tactics
Career Gifts: Etiquette, Nobility, Veteran
Career Gear: Leather Armor(d6), Shortsword(Damage +1 Impaling), Wooden Shield( Cover d8)

Gifts
Resolve
Strenght
Shield Fighter
Personality (Cheerful)
Local Knowlege (Bisclavret)

MORE TO COME, WATCH THIS SPACE

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
What it comes down to is that weasels aint trusted. I've been thinking about it and that's what I've come up with. Look at me here. Here I am, well behaved, no brawler, hardworking,, but am I respected? No. Even the people who hire me look at me as if I were scum. And why? Is it because I kill people for a living? See? I can see it on your face; there. Good job trying to hide it, though. That's class on your part. But, no, see, I've been thinking on it, and the way I see it, what I do ain't all that bad. At least it's not something people should be looking down on. Lets say you take one of them there horses. Guy's some baron, or Sir something or another. You know the type; more money than God, servants to feed him, brags on how his great grandfather was Duke so and so or Count something else. everybody bows to him when he passes. Yet that same guy will, without thinking anything of it, throw on some armor, and lead a bunch of soldiers against some other general just as high as him, and do his best to kill everybody there. And most of his soldiers either poor men trying to earn a crust or peasants who've been rounded up at swordpoint to fight for him. Or look at one of those inquisitors. Comes across a cult of necromancers or demon worshipers or some such. You think he just goes home? You know he doesn't. He rounds them up and sets them on fire. And he a holy priest, setting people ablaze.

Now I don't have much learning, but it seems to me that all this could be settled more peaceful with a good knife from the shadow or poison in the drink. Cut the general's throat, and there's no need to wade through all the poor sods he's making fight for him. Cult leader has an accident, and maybe all those cultists wise up and join a respectable church. Look, I don't know that I'm any better than these people, but I'm sure as hell not worse. All the people I kill deserve it. Way I see it, you don't pay good money to have somebody killed on a whim. If somebody's paying somebody money to kill you, you must have done something pretty bad, right? I mean, most people don't hire a killer over a little thing. Wouldn't find a good one who'd take the job, anyway. Sure, you could find some idiot who'll stab somebody in a bar for you; that's easy enough. Then they catch him because he's too much of an idiot to do it right, he fingers you, and you both swing on the rope. You hire a professional, you pay for discretion, more than anything. You're paying for somebody to get in, do the job, and get out, and if he gets caught, not to know you. But it costs. Not lying to you there. It's like anything else, you want somebody who knows what they're doing, you gotta pay them right. And if I'm going to risk swinging for you, I want to get mine. Only natural, ain't it? But that also means I get a discriminating clientele. The kind that pay for discretion. Means the one who gets it, must have pissed somebody off enough. So, that's what I've got to say.

Concept: Streetwise Assassin
Motto: For everything, its price.
Goal: Take a job

Speed: d10
Mind: d4
Species: d6
Career: d8

Initiative: d10, d4
Dash: 5
Sprint d10
Run: 21
Dodge Defense: d10
Counter/Parry
Soak: d8
Money 8 denari

Free Language:

Species: Weasel
- Diet: Carnivore
- Cycle: Twilight
- Senses: Smell
- Skills: Digging, Dodge, Stealth
- Gifts: Contortionist, Increased Trait: Speed, Springing Strike

Career:

Gifts: Brawling Fighter, Disguise, Low Profile
Skills: Brawling, Melee Combat, Stealth
Gear: Leather Armor (d6), Dagger (+1), Change of clothes

Personality Gift: Exciteable

Local Knowledge Gift:

Gifts:

Melee Fervor, Streetwise, Sneaky Fighter
Marks:

Brawling d6
Deceit d6
Gossip d8
Melee Combat d8
Stealth d6
Observation d4

Attacks:
Dagger
Claws
Teeth

Armor:
Leather Armor (d6)

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

blah bloo placeholder for more details/blurb i'm half-done with about a DIRTY PROTO-COMMIE MOUSE rat/budding rodentspierre i guess

Body d4
Speed d8
Mind d6
Will d8
Species d6
Career d6

Career: Preacher
Career Skills: Academics, Presence, Supernatural
Career Gifts: Hiking, Oratory, Piety [THE COLLECTIVIST IDEAL :ussr: ]
Career Gear: Cloth Armor (d4), First Aid Kit, Holy Vestments, Holy Symbol

Species: Rat
Habitat: Shore
Diet: Omnivore
Species Skills: Digging, Stealth, Swimming

Species Gifts: Contortionist, Keen Ears, Survival

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mahesh Arjun

A delightful country, Calabria. You have so many exotic tastes and experiences compared to Yindu. And so many more types of people! We don't see too many...skunks, is it? Yes, of course. So many curiosities! Forgive me if I sound rude; for you they are a simple part of day to day life. You can see why a gentleman of my promise would enjoy galavanting around it a bit. I assume it is quite wonderful in the most peaceful of times. Ah, but this is not the most peaceful of times, is it? I see the men armoring up, the nobles strutting about with more and more ruffles. Its a bit silly; understand that to me, you are, well, a bit...prudish. Your clothing is fancy and well cut of course, but...

Excuse me one moment. I'm sorry, little bat, but is there something you need? You keep staring. Is it my choice of attire? I assure you I'm wearing more then enough clothing to obey any decency laws. Or is it that you've an issue with my stripes? I assume not; that would be something of an insult, after all. Any tiger could tell you our stripes are always appropriate; mine just happen to be additionally magnificent, as again I am sure any would tell you. Yes, there you go. Run along now.

I forget I am as much a curiosity here as this all is to me. Where was...ah, yes, the troubles. It seems Calabria is mired deep in political intrigue. Mercenaries wearing their proud heavy armor clanking about, dashing scoundrels with their delightful little pinprick rapiers, the mice and their religious symbols, the horses and their gallant charges, the wolves and their body paint. I rather like the body paint you know; reminds me of, well, us. I can hardly look down my nose on a group who realize what their missing out on and begin striping themselves, can I? But yes, all these wonderful groups of people, all clashing together. It's worse east of here, you know. I hear there's full blown riots going on in parts of Zhongguo. But I hear a lot of Zhongguo; you know, someone once told me there are ancient masters or something similar, spending all their lives training on how to fight? Can you imagine how delightful it would be to face one of them?

Me? Why, I'm simply here to travel. To experience, if you will. To enjoy the local cuisines, gawk at the bazaa - sorry, the merchant stalls, dally amongst other beautiful individuals. And perhaps get a bit involved in a few fights, maybe dabble and dip my toes in those troubles. It does stave off the boredom. Oh, I can handle myself quite well, I promise. I am a tiger. I do not require your iron and steel. Hiring? That depends; can you promise me excitement? Well then. Let's talk compensation...

Concept: The most arrogant (and magnificent) (and foolish) of tigers
Motto: There Is Power In Who We Are.
Goal: Travel without much care, stave off boredom, and get into a little bit of trouble (for fun)

Body: d8 (d10)
Mind: d4
Species: d8

Initiative: 1d6+1d4
Run: 20
Dodge Defense: 1d6+1d8+1d6
Counter/Parry 1d10+2d8+1d6
Soak: d10

Native Language: Yindu
Free Language: Calabrese

Species: Tiger
- Diet: Carnivore
- Cycle: Night
- Senses: Listen
- Skills: Jumping, Presence, Stealth
- Gifts: Increased Trait: Body, Night Vision, Strength

Career: Flamboyant
- Skills: Brawling, Dodge, Presence
- Gifts: Bravery, Brawling Fighter, Veteran
- Gear: Jade Hairclip (Leather armor? Please.)

Gifts:
Increased Trait: Body - Body dice is increased by 1 rank
Night Vision - poor lighting is treated as fair lighting; may travel at full speed at night
Strength - add 1d8 to all melee/brawlingthrown attacks (this does not apply to parry/counter); may carry +1 stone at no encumbrance, +2 at Burdened, and +3 at Overburdened
Bravery - [xBattle, Wildling] May exhaust this Gift at any time to remove Afraid
Brawling Fighter - May use Brawling to Parry/Counter; all foes in Close Range count as being threatened when not disadvantaged
Veteran - When using Guard/Aim, use d12 instead of d8
Claws of Iron - Claws gain +1 damage
Secrets of the Wilding Way - Becomes Berserk instead of Confused; may take an extra action every round to Refresh any Wildling Gift; cannot wear armor or ostentatious clothing
Animal Magnetism - When socially interacting with other tigers, may add a bonus 1d12

Personality Gift:
Arrogant

Local Knowledge Gift:
Yindu

Marks:
Brawling (Natural Weapons) - 1d8
Dodge (Minimal Movement) - 1d8
Presence (Inspire Awe) - 1d8
Stealth (Ambush) - 1d6
Negotiation (Aggressive) - 1d6

Attacks:
Claws: 1d10+3d8+1d6 - Damage +2, Critical
Teeth: 1d10+3d8+1d6 - Damage +1, Grappling

Armor:
None!

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 27, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Got until the end of today to at least get a thing in! Also, Species die adds to any Observation rolls made with your Species senses (in your case, hearing), any attacks with your Species weapons (in your case, claws and teeth), and to your three Species skills. Note that it doesn't add as Marks - you just toss your species die into any pool involving those skills.

Career die adds to your three Career skills in the same way.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Simonis Arenjeu

'All things considered, I've had it pretty good. I spent most of my younger time just learning my old man's craft. I've found out quickly that it wasn't just writing on paper, messing with weight, making sure to not over dose a medication, boiling too hard or binding the odd wounds of customers, knowing said after mentioned customers is a large part of it. We weren't really TOO rich, it wasn't a big town, sure, but rich enough to get an education. That wasn't enough for me.

I wanted more than just knowing what to do when somebody's coughing or getting rid of unsightly warts, or endlessly serving some people medicines. You know what sparked the lad I was? Magic. Wizards get respect. Nobody respect an apothecary unless he's sick, then he promptly forgets about you once the pain's gone. A wizard? Everyone remember a fireball. So I did what a lad do when he's got an idea in mind and he really wants it, he does stupid things to go do it.

I made and sold dyes and cosmetics to the rich, offered my healing services to people on the side, stuff that wasn't strictly medicine to travelers, merchants, healed a few cutting wounds from disreputable people, people that paid extra for me not say I did that. Despite my father's general disapproval, I eventually got my wish by careful accumulation of my so hard earned money: I went to Dunwasser Academy. Or at least, a local college associated with it. It wasn't easy. It's amazing how little people realize how hard it is to bend the elements to your will. I was stubborn, I was confident and the teachers that knew my story were impressed. A few years later, I passed with flying colors.

Things went to hell a bit after I returned home. Things were not going as well as my father said in his letters. The shop was struggling, a competitor moved in. They had access to a lot more stuff than we did. Similarly, the town grew a lot, if in the bad ways. Organized crimes got bigger, got the mayor in their pocket and I suspect that shop is part of their cartel, too. They always seemed to avoid the new policy of 'pay us money, we make sure nothing happens to you' plan, as they said to us, barely restraining their smirk behind their 'professional' look.

We didn't pay. So they broke our doors and ripped up the place in the night. Just a bit. Just to give us a lesson. The next morning, their boss came, smug, confident as one can be. I think they called him Rockface. He gave us one last warning, one last chance, to pay.

I threw fire in his face.

Things were kind of a blur after that. Things broke, people screamed, the guard got involved and I was left with the distinct impression I wasn't very welcome around anymore. My father stayed. He was just an old man, after all, what could he do? Plus, he was a pillar of the community he was trying to subvert, I'd presume. So, I just left. It's probably for the best. I didn't want to be chained there.

So, here I am. I travel around, away from home. I take jobs there and there, it's harsh. I'm doing what I want, when I want, how I want. It wasn't how I imagined it as a kid. I just became a guy that got pushed too far. Now, I live with that.'

Concept: Will full Magic-using Apothecary
Motto: Strive to reach your wishes, for it will vanish if you do not.
Goal: Gain fame, fortune and glory.

Mind: d8
Will: d10(Improved Will)

Initiative: d6 + d8
Dash: 3
Run: 15
Dodge Defense: d6 + d8
Counter Parry:
Soak: d6
Armor: d6

Species: Red Fox
-Habitat: Forest
-Diet: Omnivore
-Cycle: Night
-Senses: Listen, Smell
-Weapons: Claws, Teeth
-Species Skills: Digging, Jumping, Stealth
-Species Gifts: Danger Sense, Keen Ears, Night Vision

Career: Apothecary
Career Skills: Academics, Gossip, Inquiry
Career Gifts: First Aid, Literacy, Research
Career Gear: Knife, First Aid Kit, Writing Kit

Gifts
Danger Sense: D12 bonus on Initiative, D12 in rolls to detect danger, hidden enemies, traps and learn of dangerous places.
First Aid: First aid is an action, not a stunt, add a d12 on first aid attempts.
Keen Ears: When using Observation to hear something, you may negate the highest-showing difficulty die that opposes you. You can hear the ultrasonic.
Literacy: Read and write Calabrese alphabet.
Night Vision: See better at night(treat poor lightning as fair lightning), can travel at full speed at night.
Research:When you have access to a large library, university or other repository of knowledge, you may claim a bonus d12 with rolls to research academic or supernatural matters. When performing long-term research by rote, your successes are not halved.
Elementalist' Trappings: Red: Own an Extravagant Book(On Elementalism), a red robe, a Hawthorn Wand, a Treble-Best Rod and an Obsidian Charm.
X (Special): If you are parted from your items, you may exhaust this Gift to ask the GM for a plot twist to return or replace them. This Gift cannot recover until next game session.
Elementalist ApprenticeSpeak with elements as a Stunt, can perform petty elemental tricks(lightning candles, mist, etc), can exhaust this gift for readying an Elemental weapon in a rod, which stays until cast or five minutes. You may ready the Create Air, Create Earth, Create Water, Ignite Fire, Move Air, Move Earth, Move Fire and Move Water Elemental weapons.
Improved Trait: Will: +1 Dice Step to Will

Personality: Willfull:
Choose a single word to describe one of your major personality traits. After any die roll you make, you may exhaust this Gift to claim a bonus d12 if the roll is somehow relevant to your chosen Personality. The GM is final judge of whether a roll is relevant.
Whenever you spend XP, you may, with the GM’s approval, change your Personality choice to a different one for free.

Local Knowledge: Doloreux
Choose a specific place when you take this Gift. You know it like the back of your hand. You may claim an extra d12 on rolls to know where things are, to gossip with the natives or to elude pursuit, as well as any other rolls related to the knowledge that the GM allows.
Manifold: You may take this Gift multiple times, choosing a different place each time.

Skills
Academics: *** (Medicine)
Craft: * (Chemistry)
Dodge: ** (vs Melee-Attacks)
Gossip: * (Rumors)
Inquiry: * (Sensing Lies)
Negotiation: * (Reason)
Presence: *** (Nerves of Steel)
Supernatural: * (Elements)

Gear
Denarii: 5
Knife
First Aid Kit (1/4 stone)
Writing Kit (1/4 stone)
Chemistry Kit (1/4 stone)
Hawthorn Wand (1/4 stone)
Treble-best Rod (1/2 stone)
Obsidian Charm
Red Robe (1/2 stone)
Leather Armor (1/2 stone)
Extravagant Book(On Elementalism)
Back Pack (1/4 stone)
Purse (1/8 stone)
Serviceable Hat (0 stone)
Commoner's Clothes (1/8 stone)
Torch x2 (2/8 stone)
Travel grup (7 days worth) (1/2 stone each)
2 Man Tent (1 stone)
Flask

Attacks

Knife: Body d6 - Damage +1 Cheap (0.5D), 1/8 Stone, Blade, Concealable
Hawthorn Wand: Body d6 - Damage +2 - Parry d12 - Good Hand, Close Range, 1/2 Stone, Truncheon, Rod
Treble-best Rod: Body d6 - Damage +0 Weak, Can't Parry - Two-Hands, Close Range, 1/8 Stone, Truncheon, Wand
Create Air: Off hand - Medium - Speed d6 + Weather Sense - Damage +2 Critical, Counters Earth - Magic, Air, Apprentice
Create Earth: Off hand -Medium- Body d6 +Digging d4 - Damage +2 Critical, Counters Air - Magic, Earth, Apprentice
Create Water: Off hand -Medium- Mind d8 +Swimming- Damage +2 Critical, Counters Fire - Magic, Water, Apprentice
Ignite Fire: Off hand -Medium- Will d10 + Presence d8 - Damage +1 Critical, On Fire, Counters Water Magic, Fire, Apprentice
Move Air: Off hand-Medium- Speed d6 + Weather Sense d0 vs 3, Resist with Speed+Dodge vs 3 - Damage +0, Push 1, Counters Air - Magic, Air, Apprentice, Environmental
Move Earth: Off hand-Medium- Body d6 + Digging d4 vs 3, Resist with Speed+Dodge vs 3 - Damage +1, Counters Earth Magic, Earth, Apprentice, Environmental
Move Fire: Off hand -Medium- Will d10 + Presence d8 vs 3, Resist with Speed+Dodge vs 3 - Damage +0, On Fire, Counters Fire Magic, Fire, Apprentice, Environmental
Move Water: Off hand-Medium- Mind d8 + Swimming d0 vs 3, Resist with Speed+Dodge vs 3 - Damage +2 Weak, Counters Water Magic, Water, Apprentice, Environmental

Armor
Leather: d6
Red Robe: No Soak

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 18, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I fell asleep before I could post this, but: closed to new apps. Everyone else has until Tuesday to finish up their stuff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am at work right now but will probably make picks, uh, some time tonight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay! I have made my decisions.

Characters
sentrygun - Brakka, Tiger Mercenary
K Prime - Ju'an, Qilin Taoist
grassy gnoll - Enri Aetinne Caius Jouett de Lusignan, Mouse Musketeer
Gorbash - Aureo dalle Bande Rosse, Jackal Mercenary
Cirno - Mahesh Arjun, Tiger Brawler
CosmicAfro - Simonis Arenjeu, Red Fox Elementalist

I think this is a good mix of idealists and pragmatists.

Now, the thread will probably take a bit to go up, as I'm in Hell Week for time commitments. But in the meantime, I want each of you to pick two of the others and tell me a little about how you know them. You can pick more if you want.

Side note - remember that your Species and Career dice aren't Marks and don't add to your Marks - they just get added separately to any roll of the appropriate skills.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 3, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Enri's private papers

...but His Lordship feels the evidence is insufficient. He even suggested my hearing has been damaged by the sound of gunfire! While I am willing to entertain the notion, that fails to explain the brigand's outright solicitation of money for assassination! That kind of conduct is unbecoming of a guttersnipe, let alone a man of the blood, or at least one ostensibly so. I know not whether he has a relationship with this Aureo, but I am increasingly ill at ease with the decisions of my new master. Still, I have given my word to uphold the Court's justice...

...though on an intellectual level, I acknowledge that my humble homestead is a provincial place, it sometimes takes an assault on the senses and sensibilities to make that fact a practical one. Put aside the street theater and peculiar acts common to the city, the very souls themselves that inhabit this place are at times beyond belief. It was not that long ago on my way to the campus martial of our esteemed institution that I happened on a great commotion, as a great crowd had assembled around a tiger - a tiger!

The great brute was at least twice my height, if not greater, and here is the rub, dressed in naught but a few scraps of silk of the deepest blue. I had thought someone from foreign and sweltering shores would be cold even in this plentifully warm climate, but you would not guess it from his attire. I had heard rumor of such a person in the city, as related to me by a member of the Constabulary, but their description posited that the hulk was quiet and clad from chin to toe in iron, neither quality which could describe this individual. Not content to provoke with his manner of dress, the great orange bulk was posing for the onlookers! Licentious talk filled the air, from both the mob and the foreigner, the likes of which could shame even the foulest-mouthed mercenary. As if this spectacle were not enough, I overheard one of the plebeians boasting they had seen a foreigner stranger still, like a deer with a single antler growing from its forehead, but scaled like a draft animal. It defies credulity to think such an entity may walk the same streets I do, let alone exist in this world, and yet it owes to the inherent absurdity of this place that I entertain the possibility...

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I was passing through a small town and I saw, of all things, a half-naked tiger flexing in the square. He spoke with a strong accent, and immediately I could tell he was Yindu- our neighbors to the south. Strange to see one so far from home. I know, I know, I am hardly one to talk. It is vaguely comforting to know that others have come this far.

The other day I struck up a conversation with a... Seemonees? At a watering-hole the other night. Another wanderer, though if his drunken ramblings were true, not by choice. A pity. Everyone should feel like they are moving in the direction of the best Way. I hope that one day, he finds his way to being a traveler on the currents of the world by choice. And that he doesn't drown as he is, fighting the currents and cursing the storm.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
A few pages from his journal.

'Ash 21st,

New town, new people. Just arrived in town, tomorrow I'll look into selling some of my medicine. For now, I'm going to get roaring drunk.'

'Ash 22nd,

That's good. The tavern's not on fire. That's a great sign. In fact, I think I remember all of the evening, I swear they water the beer way too much here. It's not worth the money. Still, spoke with a few other travelers. There was the usual gaggle of mercs, merchants, but there was this strange one-horned deer that talked to me for a while. Now that I think about it, I was probably drunk enough to start rambling at him about my current situation. That's kinda embarrassing. In return, he talked to me about his own travels. He's got a pretty good grasp on the language for someone not from around. Got stuck on my name, mind you.

What was his name? Juan or something?

Anyway, off to check for a place to sell stuff. Need more coin, or some hotter jobs.

Why do I bother with puns in my own journal?'

'Ash 22nd, second entry

I'm pretty sure I saw a mouse wandering around in full musketeer gear, while I was selling some blue dyes. I didn't even /know/ they made hats that size. What really struck me was the sort of fire in his eyes, I don't think I've seen a mouse showing off that much charisma. No, not quite right: backbone.

Mind you, I think that's the second time I've seen him. He was gawking in mild-indignation at that tiger flexing in the square the first time. I can't really read them well, but I'm pretty sure he does that not even for the cash. Just because he could, to get the reactions he gets.

Speaking of tigers, that reminds me. I'll have to check out for that tiger lady if she comes around here. Brekka, her name. She's usually pretty good for some merc works, very professional. Quite a different personality from that other guy, for certain.'

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread