Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

discuss the indie rpg genre here. share favorites, games that maybe exceeded your expectations, stuff you just don't 'get', whatever! discussion of indie games in general is fine but main topic is rpgs. be chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i downloaded a bunch of these recently on a whim

-Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle
-Dear Red
-Kanye Quest 3030
-Touhou Mother
-Legionwood 2
-Wadanohara
-Miserere
-Demon Legacy
-Gingiva

debating where to start

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
start with kanye quest

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Tale of the Drunken Paladin is good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

start with kanye quest

i played like the first five minutes but it seemed kinda shoddy, does it get good later on?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Touhou mother is well done and difficult and I feel like a massive autist because I understood most of the references

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I played a super good one like 10 years ago that was kinda like a 2D ICO. There was no dialogue and no monsters except for like one or two boss fights. Can't remember the name, though.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Obviously, Mario Dancing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Excels posted:

i played like the first five minutes but it seemed kinda shoddy, does it get good later on?

idk i just like the name, sounds promising

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Poniard posted:

Touhou mother is well done and difficult and I feel like a massive autist because I understood most of the references

I got past the Robosters by letting my health scale back up every time i healed, I managed to kill them with 2 of 4 girls alive. Behind the guard is the Infinite Bandanna, which gives you unlimited MP and Ohm Cane which fully revives KO'd teammates and never runs out. Equip Mima with Bandanna and you are invincible for the rest of the game

It kind of makes the last leg of the game a joke with Reimu though, if you equip the bandanna she can utterly destroy enemies and bosses with unlimited PK Dream which does 9999 on everything

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
lisa

boot hill heroes

Tales of Game's Presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Relin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i hope Barkley 2 lives up to the hype of Barkley Gaiden

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

has anyone ever considered or started toward making their own thing in RPGM? i have VX Ace and i can't make heads nor tails of this interface, i can see why these games take years to make

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I've been loving around with RPGMaker VX Ace for years now and never really get far with it.

I reckon if I can at least make a game using the stock assets I can make a game with customized sprites, tiles etc.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well if a game like Always Sometimes Monsters can get away with using nothing but stock assets and still make money on Steam, who knows :iiam:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
The Legend of the Dragon Phalix II

by far the greatest rpgmaker game ever made

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Wither is a neat little adventure game that deserves a lot more attention than it gets.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i'm so hungry for more of suikoden 2 that i might even play this weird fangame... even though the art is... ech

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I forget the name but I liked the graphics in this game, except it otherwise seemed completely directionless while trying too hard to be like OFF or Space Funeral, does it get better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

i'm so hungry for more of suikoden 2 that i might even play this weird fangame... even though the art is... ech
exit fate is pretty good

as for the art, eh. some of it is really bad but some of it is okay.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The Legion Saga games were really good if you like the Suikoden heritage of JRPGs.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I forget the name but I liked the graphics in this game, except it otherwise seemed completely directionless while trying too hard to be like OFF or Space Funeral, does it get better?

It's called Middens, and the honest truth is that the guy who made it is loving batshit crazy. He keeps a blog and most of it doesn't make any sense. Gingiva is the spiritual sequel and it's every bit as weird.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Excels posted:

It's called Middens, and the honest truth is that the guy who made it is loving batshit crazy. He keeps a blog and most of it doesn't make any sense. Gingiva is the spiritual sequel and it's every bit as weird.

Huh, I'll have to give it a second chance then. I played it immediately after playing Space Funeral and OFF back-to-back, so I guess the legitimate insanity came off as pure monkey-cheese after the comparatively measured and purposeful weirdness of those two. There's something fascinating about the fusion of outsider art and games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Who could forget Don Miguel's classic "Don's Adventures?"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Visions and Voices is cool.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

g0lbez posted:

The Legend of the Dragon Phalix II

by far the greatest rpgmaker game ever made

the one that was released, that is!!!!!!!!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Wadanohara was cute and enjoyable, though the battles were ridiculously easy (you could very well skip most of them anyway)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

nftyw posted:

Wadanohara was cute and enjoyable, though the battles were ridiculously easy (you could very well skip most of them anyway)

played this, can confirm it is comfy and adorable.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Huh, I'll have to give it a second chance then. I played it immediately after playing Space Funeral and OFF back-to-back, so I guess the legitimate insanity came off as pure monkey-cheese after the comparatively measured and purposeful weirdness of those two. There's something fascinating about the fusion of outsider art and games.

http://gamejolt.com/blog/interview-myformerselves/33/

guy is fuckin bonkers.

Middens guy posted:

The 8-bit Mario games, for instance, are so sparsely detailed their officially intended narrative of a princess being kidnapped by a barong like lizard king is only actually emphatically expressed in the instruction guides. Overtime this condoned plot has of course been consolidated by subsequent releases, but at that time the Mario games were really about whatever players fancied them to be about. My friends’ and I’s version involved an incontinent Italian venturing from portable toilet to portable toilet to relieve his potent diarrhea.

…though my defense I was young by any count.

In any case this I use as an example of the usefulness of void which has shaped my own outlook. A discriminating intellect may even conclude that void is the foundation of existence because within void there is space and space is what houses all material matter.

quote:

When I have completed the last of my obligations I hope to high-tail it to some nature set enclave. In the isolated setting of a hermitage, liberated from the demands and requisites of collective society, I would feel the freedom to live a faultless life.

Excels fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 29, 2015

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

^^^^^ Yup, definitely gotta play Middens again, I need to see how batshit it gets.

Unrelated, but Sunset Over Imdahl is a legit cool and unique game even if some parts are bullshit.

Also it is a decade old, I remember playing it when it was new during college, jesus christ.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Off! is cool.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Seconding OFF. Do Yume Nikki / .flow count? Cause those are pretty good too. (All of these with the caveat that you never look into the fan works.)

Somebody tell me why Space Funeral is good. I read the LP. I just don't get it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Bogart posted:

Seconding OFF. Do Yume Nikki / .flow count? Cause those are pretty good too. (All of these with the caveat that you never look into the fan works.)

Somebody tell me why Space Funeral is good. I read the LP. I just don't get it.

It's a great example of functional surrealist game design.

Also .flow and Yume 2kki are the only YN clones legitimately worth playing, many fans consider them to be a set.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Excels posted:

-Embric of Wulfhammer's Castle

Most of this is spent walking around talking to people and solving puzzles.

Also it's very :japan: and has a bunch of lesbian sex jokes.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who could forget Don Miguel's classic "Don's Adventures?"

No one can ever forget Don Miguel's zaniness.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

When I was in college I played what I think was a nine inch nails fan game made in RPGMaker, anyone else remember that?

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I made a couple games as training for my company a few years back with it. This led to HR losing their mind over gamification and I had to give an hour presentation about it to senior management.

It has since been long forgotten, but "Cyber Security Quest" still haunts a share drive somewhere.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The computer labs in my middle school had RPGMaker installed on the computers. It was cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I spent way too much time with RPGM2K and the community from the outset and have zip to show for it. There are a couple of projects I vaguely remember like some game series that was a dude's Coheed and Cambria fan project and a community game about a foul mouthed guy who gets sucked into a generic fantasy universe with sprites/scenarios ripped from a ton of other games. Some game called Idunn Ymiraldorldorladof from a guy who went on to make pixel art for phone games in like 2005. "Wilhelm the Hero" or some such, with graphics by the Sunset Over Imdahl dude, that never went anywhere. I even vaguely remembers what must have been the game that triggered work on Pier Solar, ugh.

Why are these bad memories starting to flood back in my head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
RPGMaker for the Playstation will always be my favorite if only because it was the first one I "played". I made a poo poo-ton of games when I was a kid. They were complete and utter garbage. I miss it.

• Locked thread