Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i don't know how he's been this year but he's been a decent possession player everywhere else he's been and is good as long as you remember he is a bottom pair type player and isn't actually good on the power play despite having come up with the offensive defenseman reputation and who gives a poo poo if he is "soft" or not because lots of tough, hard-hitting defenseman are utter trash at actual hockey.

"Decent possession player" in limited deployments (not full-time) and not really producing don't really make for great depth. He plays a style that looks good in shot-differential stats but not qualitatively strong. I guess he's the type of guy you want to pick up at the trade deadline though.

That's Mike Kostka's stats. Here's Diaz: http://i.imgur.com/PESHqrl.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Zamboni Jesus posted:

he was montreal's second best defenseman by possession when he was traded but he doesn't really score as much as people wanted him to and he doesn't hit people so he doesn't fit any of the normal boxes people want to check to describe defensemen.

he isn't a world-beater, but if you have diaz playing on your bottom pair, your defense is probably doing pretty well.

unless of course you have kris russell and dennis wideman on the second pair

at this point i'm not going to argue he is anything other than a bottom pair/7th defenseman, but a puts up positive numbers in sheltered minutes defenseman who is presumably on a reall cheap contract seems like someone worth having and not a structural problem with a team.

This reputation sort of follows him, but he basically had one good year of possession stats and has been a bad replacement defensemen the other years. He put up one good year of possession numbers by playing a high-risk style, and both giveaway/takeaway counts and "the eye test" basically make him out to be a Mike Kostka-type who has moderately favorable possession numbers but also blows a lot of plays while not really producing the more significant offensive stats.

As far as I can tell, he's basically a lame duck who looks good in shot differential stats at times but doesn't actually translate that into reliable full-time play, rather it is an anomaly from an irresponsible style which requires sheltering.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/diazra01-additional-5on5.html
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1512&withagainst=true&season=2011-12&sit=5v5

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 13, 2015

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I feel like if the Rangers wouldn't give up Kreider to get Nash, they're not going to give him up for Kessel.

...that's just the asking price though, Rangers are going to end up in cap hell when they trade Tanner Glass, McIlrath, and a 2nd for Kessel.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

That's not a good thing.

As long as Kessel has an 8m cap hit it is.

Sather is probably kicking tires and leaked the asking price while laughing.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Well I do think faceoff percentage is overrated, what matters is who possesses the puck of the faceoff. But a guy who can win draws is going to make a difference in maintaining possession. And he would push Glass out either way.

Kevin Hayes is at 35% for the season. That makes a pretty big difference in possession. It would be *the* black hole of possession which Rangers performance is being pulled into if there wasn't a bigger black hole which drowns all possession. Hayes+Glass = 35% CF, 0% GF

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I wouldn't mind trading Tanner Glass for Olli Jokinen.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Rangers/MSG question: I'm going to be in NYC this afternoon and I'm looking to get a ticket to the game last minute. A couple questions to those who have been before:
-Do secondary market prices drop much in the hours before the game? Or am I better off just buying one at the box office for a game like this.
-If prices drop from resellers, around what time?
-Is it true that I need to find a printer to print tickets from StubHub? That's going to be a problem.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

I can't answer 1 or 2 but if you get the ticket before 5, my office is on 29th and 7th so I can print out a ticket for you.

I've never bothered with the box office because usually games are "sold out".

Thanks for the offer!

I just noticed that I posted in the trade deadline thread, not the N/V. Oops.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

bergenheim is probably gone by monday, makes sense since florida is seemingly just asking for a 3rd rounder (which thankfully for the canucks, they don't have one)

Sean Bergenheim for a third? WAKE UP, PEOPLE!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

So I know a few Sens fans here have been praising Patrick Wiercioch despite him likely being on his way out, so I took a look at his advanced stat bar chart and :stare:. What does Ottawa want in return for him?

I feel like Washington could get Wiercioch and Bergenheim for peanuts and vastly improve their team for a playoff push. Orlov may be ready by then and Schmidt certainly will be ready to return in the next week or so, but Wiercioch if nothing else will add defensive depth for the playoffs which is never a bad thing.

He has four points at even strength in heavily-sheltered offensive zone starts. He plays the fewest and easiest minutes of any Sens defenseman and his possession stats get a huge bump from 63% OZS with Erik Karlsson.

These charts are out-of-wack with limited sample sizes, as well as the insufficient "usage adjustments" being junk in general and the adjustments being far too insufficient for the frame of reference that is provided. I'll trade you top-4 defenseman Mike Kostka cheap, just don't ask about bottom-pairing defenseman Ryan McDonagh.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

stab posted:

I'm not getting the hate, trading a third line LW for a third line RW (which is a need the Habs had), same age, same relative salary, and DSP is bigger, with not much difference from a speed perspective. They even are separated by one point. Sekac had 11 goals i nthe KHL last year. He's a good player, butI never saw the world beater some people make him out to be. It's an even trade IMO.

Sekac was supposed to be a superstar who dragged the corpse of Michel Therrein's Habs to the playoffs, if only the coach could stop putting him down.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Duro posted:

Listen, I didn't want to lose Sekac either, but we finally get the type of player that we've needed for a long time and people are bitching like crazy. Yes, the expense may have been big, but the Habs are clearly thinking of this season, they want to make a run and they got a guy that has at least proven he can be good in the playoffs at the expense of a relatively unknown entity. I loved what I saw of Sekac, but let's not overhype him here. He might turn into an absolutely incredible player, but we can't bank on the future right now when we have Price having an insane season and the team is trying compete in this window.

Like any other trade, I say we all relax a bit and take a "wait and see" approach. I really look forward to the losers that are going to scrutinize each player under a microscope after each game for the rest of eternity. If Sekac has a bad game, the Habs won the trade. If DSP has a bad game, the Ducks won the trade. We're never going to hear the end of this.

Just keep in mind that a certain Rene Bourque was clutch for the habs last playoffs. Maybe DSP will surprise us.

Frankly, I don't think that Bergevin is done tweaking the team before the deadline. Last year his moves ended up helping us. All we can do is trust him now

I think you get it.

I should also note that DSP is younger than Sekac, despite having four partial NHL seasons of experience because the Ducks completely lacked depth.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

It's also rumored that when Oates was coaching the Caps, he made his players only use sticks he approved...so like he was telling everyone how long their stick should be and what kind of curve, etc. As soon as he was fired players immediately ordered brand new sticks.

He is an insane person

Oates is the nightmare coach from hell. All he does is nitpick stupid principles that he thinks he has some arcane knowledge pertaining to, like sticks and which side players have to play, and how a goalie should play. I feel like he's the kind of guy who would've made the Mark Jankowski pick without trading down, just because.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

With every other buyer and seller making moves, this brings the Rangers and Coyotes one step closer to swapping Antoine Vermette for a second-round pick.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

The Hockey News has gone crazy with deadline speculation. HFboards-level crazy.

quote:

To Montreal Canadiens: Joffrey Lupul, Tyler Bozak
To Toronto Maple Leafs: Christian Thomas, Lars Eller, 2015 first-round pick

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thn-mock-deadline-trades-jagr-lupul-and-vermette/

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Could Pittsburgh somehow work it out so that Jagr's cap hit is LTIR space from Pascal Dupuis being done for the season? Same base cap hit of 3.5m.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Hirez posted:

Yea but look at his UFA signings... Redden... Holik...Drury... :laugh: (I think those were all UFA's, and Gomez? but maybe he was a trade if I remember right)

As much as I complain about most of those, they were mostly bad because of the looming specters of those massive contracts, which Sather did away with brilliantly.

Gomez spent two seasons with the Rangers, in which he put up 70 and 58 points. That first season he was second, by one point, to Jaromir Jagr, and the second season he led the team in scoring, tied with Nik Zherdev. Drury tied Jagr for the team lead in goals, then was two behind Markus Naslund the next year. Naslund was the old goal scorer to replace Shanahan. Redden and Rozsival gave a team with pitiable defensive depth a little something to work with, but they were both overpaid and underwhelming as #1/2.

However, the Rangers basically had no depth otherwise, and had to blow some of that $20m+ in cap space one way or another. 2008-09 Rangers depth without those guys:
Center: Dubinsky-Betts-Fritsche-Anisimov-Rissmiller (Arty played one game that year)
Defense: Girardi-Staal-Mara-Kalinin-Potter-Reitz-Sauer (those last three played a combined 19 games that year)

That depth was bad enough that the Rangers acquired Antropov and Morris at the deadline to shore it up, even with the big-four contracts.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gomez was never bad as a Ranger, but it was clear that his contract was massive and he was declining. The biggest problem is that, while he was never a good playmaker, he was the by far the worst shooter I've ever seen with a legitimate claim to being a top line center. He scored 33 goals one year while shooting at 13.5% one year, but other than that, he shot 9% his first two years, but he was otherwise a 6% shooter who opponents knew was always going to pass, and he just completely lost effectiveness because of that. He remained very effective as a power play passer with the Habs for two years, but as he stopped getting the benefit of top linemates, he couldn't even stay in that 10-19 goal range he had always been in.

One of the reasons Sather never ceases to amaze me. He traded Rozsival's contract for Wolski's, then he traded Wolski for an AHL defenseman and a third-round pick in 2013. The Rangers had four third-round picks that year, until they unfortunately traded one for Ryane Clowe. The other three were used to select Pavel Buchnevich, Anthony Duclair, and Adam Tambellini, who all seem to be looking pretty good for third-round picks. Two potential top-six forwards and a guy projecting to likely be a good 3rd-4th liner.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'll take a first flipped to somebody else along with some other parts for a top-six winger.

Asking price was a first and a prospect last week, a first this week, and hopefully it'll be a second and Danny Kristo on Monday.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Is this because Columbus' insurance didn't cover Horton's injury so they're stuck with that salary regardless?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Trading for an injured player to put on LTIR should be a CBA violation.

Should be, but the CBA is more concerned with dumber rules.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Yup, no one should be surprised that Horton's contract couldn't be insured with his injury history.

Maybe if a guy is so injury prone that he can't be insured, signing him to a seven year contract is a bad idea.

Twin Cinema posted:

2. I would laugh very hard if Clarkson becomes Wendel Clark 2.0 in Columbus.

He's called Clark Son for a reason.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Verviticus posted:

in all honesty, i don't really get why columbus thought it was so imperative to do this deal. if they made it in the draft they would have lost whatever, a few hundred thousand, and if they made it post-start of the next season, they probably could have avoided a year of clarksons insane bonuses

the implication here is that columbus has to actively expect clarkson to be decently above replacement level or the timing doesn't make much sense

Clarkson is above replacement level, he's a pretty good third liner who can put up 10 goals at even strength and add a few more on the power play. He seems like a great fit for Columbus' rather gritty lineup.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

eXXon posted:

By what loving metric is Clarkson even an NHL caliber player let alone a good 3rd liner?

Until he got to the black hole of hockey known as Toronto, most of them. Toronto clearly thinks he's a 30-goal first liner and also think that giving up 50 shots per night isn't a bad thing, so his shot differential metrics there are going to look like poo poo, but he had three consecutive good years of Corsi/Fenwick numbers in New Jersey, where he was more appropriately in a bottom-six role for two of those three years (11th and 9th in ES TOI/G) until he started scoring goals and the team started sucking and he became a top-3 ESTOI forward on a non-playoff team and then things got out of hand and people thought he was actually a top-line 30 goal scorer.

But seriously, the dude has ten goals this year, that's way better than literally calling up 2nd-3rd line AHL forwards like the Jackets have been doing this year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

He's a third-line crash-and-bang forward, but that's gotten a bad rep recently because of how Patrick Sharp did it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Huh...that...really doesn't make sense. The biggest things I can think of is that they want to keep MSL for another year or two (which I'm not a huge fan of), they feel Hagelin is a more important piece of the teams, and that Zucc could be replaced with another rookie in the coming year.

Hagelin is a more important piece of the team. He's a guy who AV can start in the defensive zone and trust to be defensively responsible, but he generates offense simply by getting the puck up ice either by carrying it, or being the best player on the team at chasing a puck that is dumped in. He doesn't get much power play time, but he scores a lot at even strength - he's tied for 53rd in the league in even-strength goals while playing on the third line. Hagelin is the perfect player for one of AV's biggest successes of coaching.

Zucc was having a bad year until he became a minor component of the Brassard-Nash line, but he basically hasn't done anything this year other than become a successful passenger on that line. He gets more offensive zone starts than Hagelin and plays mostly with those two guys, but doesn't produce much when he's apart from Brass/Nash.

Zucc is cool and I love him like I loved Ryan Callahan, but he's one of the top two UFA forwards this year, which means he's going to get a Ryan Callahan deal, and he's just not worth it at the expense of other players, and his position as a UFA makes him command top dollar. He'll get 5-6m in the UFA market, and he's a UFA at age 27, which makes him a prime target for a 6-7 year deal that's just going to be a hell of a lot more money, due to the situation, than the Rangers can squeeze into their team here. It would've been worse if they signed him long-term for over 5m last year too.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Andrew Gross says Zucc wants a long-term deal around $5.5m and the Rangers are offering $4.5. Why would they give that money to Dan Girardi and not Zucc?

Girardi played Sather's game and took a two-year bridge at $1.55, a four-year extension at $3.325, and now he's getting the payoff. Stepan took a two-year bridge contract after a huge 44-point 48-game year, and he's in his fifth year of proving it. He's going to get $6m long-term. Zucc wasn't a full-time NHL player until last year, so he took a bunch of cheap one-year contracts, and he hasn't been as good this year. The only guy on the team who got his big contract after two years was McDonagh, and Zucc is asking for more than him. Zucc has UFA leverage, but the team has other players who need to get paid too.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Bergenheim was a player who their coach didn't like and didn't think was good for the team. Jagr is *the* veteran who they think can help get them an extra win or two to catch up on Boston, and be a legendary mentor to their many young players. If the team makes the playoffs with Luongo and Jagr, it'll be an experience for the young guys. Something something culture change.

Heatley's contract is only $1m and his non-buriable cap hit for the rest of the season is tiny. They likely needed to send a contract back the other way, and Strombone is the best at cracking jokes about incoming teammates on Twitter, so it's worth at least the 33k in cap hit if they bury him in the AHL.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Am I missing something obvious? Sample Sizes? GMs are dumb? His HERO chart looks fantastic.

Hero charts are dumb. He plays very few and very sheltered minutes. He has six points, two of them power play assists from his 68:20 of PPTOI. He hasn't played enough for those comparative bar graphs to be of significance, and the usage adjustments are also horribly skewed for both the easiest and hardest deployments.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I just really don't see how Hagelin is more important to the team than Zucc. Hagelin's a 3rd line player. Zucc is skilled enough for the top 6

Hagelin has a skill set which allows him to start in the defensive zone with the third line, one of AV's most relied-upon strategies being zone deployment-focused coaching, and get the puck up ice and score off of set plays when the win faceoffs, as well as both entering the offensive zone with speed or simply dumping the puck and getting it with his speed.

Nash and Brassard aren't going to stop scoring without Zucc. He's a good player who has done well on that line, but he isn't nearly as effective if he isn't playing with an effective goal scorer. Even with these skills, he has sucked on the power play.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

THN's latest installment of cobbling together a story without fully reading sources. Zucc, Bozak, and John Moore came up for the Rangers.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-blackhawks-not-done-zuccarello-trade-talk-heats-up/

I know this came up yesterday, but it's still funny.

"Rangers never once inquired about the Maple Leafs’ Tyler Bozak, but Toronto, anxious to move the 28-year-old center’s contract that has three years remaining at $4.2 million, have come knocking Sather’s door a number of times offering their No. 42 as a goodie too good to resist."

I wonder of Toronto would retain half of Bozak's salary and trade him for Zucc and McIlrath just to make it the Leafiest deal ever.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

stab posted:

trade zucc so the next 400 posts can be ranger line combos i love those posts

Anyone-Brassard-Nash

Winning line combo right there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

This trade panic rules because it means that Zucc is actually going to sign with the Rangers at $4.7m for 5-6 years just like Sather wanted when he told Brooks and Strang he was going to trade him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I hope Danny Kristo is going the other way. And maybe a third-round pick or something.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Friedman just tweeted it, says rest of deal isn't done.

How does that work? Are they parlaying Tanner Glass and Dylan McIlrath into Tyler Bozak with retained salary?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Mack says ARI is retaining 50% of salary.

Ok, now I don't know what to think but Duke is probably gone.

But what about the Count?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kypreos misreported the trade, the "Danny" going to Arizona is in fact Danny Kristo.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Dale Ouise posted:

I put in Hugh Jessiman, and it returned a fatal error.

and that error turned out to be fellow Rangers first round pick Alexei Cherepanov.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

Why would we trade the only guy on our team who can win a loving faceoff?

Other Moore. The one who has been scratched half the year for Matt Hunwick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

toe knee hand posted:

apparently john moore is good?

Yes, but only for half the minutes of a first pairing defenseman per game. He's a top 4 defenseman for about eight or nine minutes per night when he starts in the offensive zone against the softest competition on every other team.

• Locked thread