Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Peter Molyneux interview: 'It's over, I will not speak to the press again'

hen things go wrong for modern game developers they go spectacularly wrong. This is an era of endless rolling news and mass social media judgement. There is no respite. Peter Molyneux knows this now – if he didn’t before. The veteran designer, famed for inventing the “god game” genre with his 1989 title, Populous, has spent the last three days under intense press scrutiny. His latest project, Godus, is in disarray, his reputation in tatters. Everyone wants a piece.

“The only answer is for me to retreat,” he says, speaking via Skype from his office in Guildford. “I love my games and I love sharing them with people. It’s this amazing incredible thing I get to do with my life, creating ideas and sharing them with people. The problem is, it just hasn’t worked.”

Awarded an OBE in 2004, Molyneux is one of the most prominent members of the UK games industry. In the 26 years following Populous, he oversaw classic strategy and adventure titles like Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, and most recently the Fable series. But ever since leaving his seminal studio Bullfrog in 1997, he has become just as well-known for enthusiastically hyping his projects, only to deliver products that fail to live up to the impossibly grand expectations.

The Godus that failed
Godus is the latest, most ruinous example. The game, a spiritual successor to Populous, challenges players to grow and support a population of followers who can then interact with the worlds developed by other players. In December 2012, Molyneux’s small studio, 22 Cans, received over half a million pounds via the crowd-funding site Kickstarter to develop the game. Rewards were offered to backers and the release date was set within a seven to nine month window.

The problem is, although a smartphone version has been released, the PC iteration of the game hasn’t. 18 months after its proposed release date, it is still in development. Furthermore, in a video recently released to the internet, Molyneux announced that the development team would be shrinking, so that staff could be moved onto a new title, The Trail. He also announced that many backers would not receive the rewards they were promised for financially supporting the game, and that some of the Kickstarter pledges may not be achieved.

So what went wrong? “I suppose the big mistake was estimating how long the game would take to make,” he says. “I very stupidly and naïvely didn’t build in enough contingency time into my predictions and I was 100% wrong. When you’re creating something that hasn’t existed before, it’s very, very hard to be precise about those things.”

Advertisement

“My hope is that in six to nine months time, people start to finally see the game they really did pledge for. That will be two to three years into development but that’s kind of what it takes when you do an original game. I wish it didn’t. Up until mid January, every single moment of this company was dedicated to Godus.”

His assurances have so far been met with fury. Angry backers have taken to the game’s forums, and to Twitter, to voice their frustrations. What’s clear is that Molyneux empathises with his critics, as he often does. “If I was pledging on this campaign I’d probably be saying the same thing as our backers,” he admits. “I’d be saying ‘I wanted a PC game, I wanted combat, I wanted a story. Why haven’t I got it? Why did you do the mobile version first?’ I wish I was more effective and efficient, and the next game we work on we’re going to make sure we keep behind closed doors for much longer. We’re going to make our mistakes and go down those blind alleys privately before presenting the game to the world”.

Curiosity failed the kid
But there is another problem to deal with. Last year, Molyneux released a smartphone game named Curiosity, a massively multiplayer experiment that asked players to chip away at a vast online cube: the person who clicked on the final piece was set to receive a “life changing” prize. The winner, eighteen-year-old Scot Bryan Henderson, was promised a 1% cut of any profits made from Godus, and the chance to become the game’s God of Gods for six months, to effectively control the virtual universe as he saw fit. On Wednesday, Henderson gave an interview to gaming site Eurogamer. He has not received his prize. What’s more, Molyneux’s team promptly forgot about him.

“We had someone here who was looking after Bryan, he left and nobody took the reigns of keeping Bryan informed and in the loop,” says Molyneux. “That was terrible, it was atrocious and I can understand him feeling offended about that. We should have... I should have made sure that he was still in the loop.”

So can the situation be fixed? Molyneux says yes, but it’s going to take time. “The problem we have is we can’t start his reign as God of Gods until we implement the technology that allows him to have influence over people’s worlds and crucially allows him to be challenged in competitive games of Godus and as people have pointed out we have to add combat to Godus still.”

“It’s not that we backed away from the idea, I still love the idea and I still absolutely love the fact it was someone British that won it, I still love the fact that Bryan is young and it’s going to be a life changing experience for him. That said, it is inexcusable that someone from 22Cans didn’t stay in contact with him. It’s just incompetence to be honest with you.”

Trail of promises
But this is not an isolated incident and Molyneux knows it. He is an enthusiastic and passionate developer, a singularly unguarded voice in an industry where upper level managers are media trained into robotic banality. But gamers are tired of it, and now, by falling short on Kickstarter pledges and stretching the site’s terms and conditions to their limits, he has incensed investors to deal with too.

When asked if it was fair to seek funding based on the promises made in a short pitch video, with no evidence of a product, Molyneux, who has so far given rambling and sometimes evasive responses, pauses for a considerable time. “I say these ideas so passionately, people think that these are hard and fast promises,” he finally responds. “I truly believe them when I say them, but as you know, sometimes they don’t come to pass. They don’t come to pass because they’re too technically difficult, they don’t come to pass because maybe they don’t fit and people see this as being a promise”.

His responses start to come with stutters and pauses. “My answer to this is this simple,” he says. “I love working on games, it is my life. I am so honoured to be a part of the games industry, but I understand that people are sick of hearing my voice and hearing my promises. So I’m going to stop doing press and I’m going to stop talking about games completely. And actually I’m only giving you this interview now in answer to this terrible and awful, emotional time over the last three days. I think honestly the only answer to this is for me to completely stop talking to the press.”

There is also something else going on, a very modern malaise; as a public figure in the games industry, Molyneux is visible and accessible. The social media storm has been furious, and with that, as we have seen over the past six months, comes something darker. “People get so frustrated with me, so much so that they’ve threatened me, they’ve threatened my family and it just cannot go on, it really can’t,” he says. “I think I’ll get this over and done with, I’ll answer some of the things backers are saying, but after that I feel the best thing I can do is just ….”

He trails away; the line sounds dead again.

Every encounter with Molyneux produces a strange mix of compassion and scepticism. He is disarmingly passionate, child-like in his enthusiasm, and seemingly naive about the effects of his many pronouncements, despite his 35 years in the industry. He willingly concedes that his approach to publicity has eroded faith in his ability to deliver products; he concedes that even his act of post-hype contrition has become staid and tiresome to many. He says, this time, he has learned to step back – even if it means withdrawing from what appears to be the part of game creation most important to him.

Over and out
Godus is a mess. Molyneux has handed control over to a fledgling designer Konrad Naszynski, who joined the team after being a passionate fan on the game’s forums. Some see this as passing the buck, setting someone else up for failure. There are hundreds of disappointed people who invested in this game, who want answers about its development and completion and who have received only promises and excuses for reduced team sizes. Molyneux has assured the Guardian, though, that people will be playing a finished version of Godus within nine months. He also says that nothing else will be revealed about the new project.

Peter Molyneux has admitted regret and culpability; he was clearly in distress throughout the interview – an interview he told us would will be his last. An hour before publication, however, we discovered that he had spoken to the gaming news site Rock, Paper, Shotgun the day before, and had given their interviewer the same impression – that he would no longer be speaking to the press (that interview is now online). He has also spoken to at least one other site, seemingly on the same afternoon as our discussion. Another trail of broken assurances.

“I think people are just sick of hearing from me,” he says in one disarmingly dark moment. “They’ve been sick of hearing from me for so many years now. You know, we’re done.”

good riddance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
godus

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lets add wait times and cards to what is otherwise just a lovely version of a game i made 20, 15, 10 years ago. lol.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

hahaha lookit that tiny man hahahhaha sounds like he came up short op!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

the video they posted is some hilarious poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0P9yYG0G5I

it's literally people melting down in front of you, amazing

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
"RPS: Do you think that you’re a pathological liar?"

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/

Philadelphia
Sep 29, 2014
Someone should have told him that god is just a delusion. :smug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm reading this

that interviewer is harsh, it opens with literally that question "Are you a pathological liar" and it only gets worse, to the point where Molyneux has to go "John, you’re becoming very emotional, I think firstly you need to take a breath"

lol:

RPS: No, but you just told me that he started working for you before the alpha came out so that wasn’t possible.

Peter Molyneux: I think he had had a temporary– He certainly came to the studio– Let me ask. [shouting in background] Konrad!

[in distance] Konrad: Yeah?

Peter Molyneux: When did you first come to 22cans?

Konrad: [inaudible]

Peter Molyneux: December. 2013. Is that– No, that’s not before the alpha.

RPS: No, long after.

Peter Molyneux: I was wrong. But it’s not a lie.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

that interview

Peter Molyneux: And then later on I came out and said it would be six months. And I said that again and again. What are you trying to do? You’re trying to prove that I’m a pathological liar, I suppose, aren’t you.

RPS: I’m trying to establish that you don’t tell the truth.

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Peter Molyneux: I don’t think I lie.

RPS: Let me just quote you from the Pocket Gamer–

Peter Molyneux: Well no, and and– Yeah, OK, you can carry on quoting me. Obviously I can see your headline now–

RPS: I don’t think you can see my headline now.

Peter Molyneux: Well I think I can.

RPS: What I want to get out of this–

Peter Molyneux: What you’re almost going to get out of this is driving me out of the industry.

RPS: No, what I want–

Peter Molyneux: And well done John, well done! And if that’s what you want, you’re going about it completely the right way.

This guy's really mad about Black & White

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
He even entered the industry on a lie, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-14-rich-stanton-on-requiem-for-a-dreamer I really can't hate him, he's a phenomenal bullshit artist.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Don Tacorleone posted:

Peter Molyneux: Let me just ask you one question. Do you think from the line of questioning you’re giving me, that this industry would be better without me?

RPS: I think the industry would be better without your lying a lot.

Best exchange in the interview. If it were anyone else, I'd say that interviewer was unprofessionally harsh, but Molyenux's been getting away with that while still being softballed for a LONG time.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I thought nerds getting ripped off on kick starter games was old news

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

What was inside his cube game thing

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Related: Do you guys remember starcitizen? lol sad fucks

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lets do tim schafer next

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

dirty nub posted:

apparently it was the game that he is currently not finishing

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

dirty nub posted:

The God who Peter Molyneux forgot

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

dirty nub posted:

titties

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seriously, this is the harshest loving interview I've ever read. It is like watching a car crash that keeps getting worse and worse. I think I have a new fetish.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

dirty nub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc&t=80s

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

:eyepop: holy poo poo

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't think any game turns out exactly as it was first pitched. this is another huge issue with crowdsourcing. backers expect the exact product they imagined after reading the first pitch and giving a couple of bucks. game designers aren't machines, you can't just put a blueprint in and know exactly what you're going to get. more often than not the first pitch or idea for a game is much more ambitious than what is either possible or likely.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

Don Tacorleone posted:

that interview
Peter Molyneux: What you’re almost going to get out of this is driving me out of the industry.

RPS: No, what I want–

Peter Molyneux: And well done John, well done! And if that’s what you want, you’re going about it completely the right way.

good.
gently caress you for hyping up a game and making GBS threads on it completely. im not saying nobody else does this, but the fact that fable was actually pretty good is baffling.
molyneux can actually make a good game but chooses not to or just puts his goals waaaay too far out of his reach.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wondered when this would turn up in here. Such a fall from grace, but based on the fact he got his start by "lying" to Commodore, it explains his career. You can only lie for so long. Shame as I enjoyed a lot of his games at Bullfrog.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

spud posted:

Wondered when this would turn up in here. Such a fall from grace, but based on the fact he got his start by "lying" to Commodore, it explains his career. You can only lie for so long. Shame as I enjoyed a lot of his games at Bullfrog.

Theme Park is one of my top games of all time, but imagine what it would have been like if for months beforehand you had a media blitz of interviews saying how amazing the reaction of your park visitors are, and the real-time accumulation of trash and vomit in your park and how the clowns will invent new balloon animals based on their mood that day and and and...

I have a feeling his games would be much better received if he wasn't allowed to speak to anyone.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Peter Molyneux interview: 'It's over, I will not speak to the press again'

hen things go wrong for modern game developers they go spectacularly wrong. This is an era of endless rolling news and mass social media judgement. There is no respite. Peter Molyneux knows this now – if he didn’t before. The veteran designer, famed for inventing the “god game” genre with his 1989 title, Populous, has spent the last three days under intense press scrutiny. His latest project, Godus, is in disarray, his reputation in tatters. Everyone wants a piece.

“The only answer is for me to retreat,” he says, speaking via Skype from his office in Guildford. “I love my games and I love sharing them with people. It’s this amazing incredible thing I get to do with my life, creating ideas and sharing them with people. The problem is, it just hasn’t worked.”

Awarded an OBE in 2004, Molyneux is one of the most prominent members of the UK games industry. In the 26 years following Populous, he oversaw classic strategy and adventure titles like Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, and most recently the Fable series. But ever since leaving his seminal studio Bullfrog in 1997, he has become just as well-known for enthusiastically hyping his projects, only to deliver products that fail to live up to the impossibly grand expectations.

The Godus that failed
Godus is the latest, most ruinous example. The game, a spiritual successor to Populous, challenges players to grow and support a population of followers who can then interact with the worlds developed by other players. In December 2012, Molyneux’s small studio, 22 Cans, received over half a million pounds via the crowd-funding site Kickstarter to develop the game. Rewards were offered to backers and the release date was set within a seven to nine month window.

The problem is, although a smartphone version has been released, the PC iteration of the game hasn’t. 18 months after its proposed release date, it is still in development. Furthermore, in a video recently released to the internet, Molyneux announced that the development team would be shrinking, so that staff could be moved onto a new title, The Trail. He also announced that many backers would not receive the rewards they were promised for financially supporting the game, and that some of the Kickstarter pledges may not be achieved.

So what went wrong? “I suppose the big mistake was estimating how long the game would take to make,” he says. “I very stupidly and naïvely didn’t build in enough contingency time into my predictions and I was 100% wrong. When you’re creating something that hasn’t existed before, it’s very, very hard to be precise about those things.”

Advertisement

“My hope is that in six to nine months time, people start to finally see the game they really did pledge for. That will be two to three years into development but that’s kind of what it takes when you do an original game. I wish it didn’t. Up until mid January, every single moment of this company was dedicated to Godus.”

His assurances have so far been met with fury. Angry backers have taken to the game’s forums, and to Twitter, to voice their frustrations. What’s clear is that Molyneux empathises with his critics, as he often does. “If I was pledging on this campaign I’d probably be saying the same thing as our backers,” he admits. “I’d be saying ‘I wanted a PC game, I wanted combat, I wanted a story. Why haven’t I got it? Why did you do the mobile version first?’ I wish I was more effective and efficient, and the next game we work on we’re going to make sure we keep behind closed doors for much longer. We’re going to make our mistakes and go down those blind alleys privately before presenting the game to the world”.

Curiosity failed the kid
But there is another problem to deal with. Last year, Molyneux released a smartphone game named Curiosity, a massively multiplayer experiment that asked players to chip away at a vast online cube: the person who clicked on the final piece was set to receive a “life changing” prize. The winner, eighteen-year-old Scot Bryan Henderson, was promised a 1% cut of any profits made from Godus, and the chance to become the game’s God of Gods for six months, to effectively control the virtual universe as he saw fit. On Wednesday, Henderson gave an interview to gaming site Eurogamer. He has not received his prize. What’s more, Molyneux’s team promptly forgot about him.

“We had someone here who was looking after Bryan, he left and nobody took the reigns of keeping Bryan informed and in the loop,” says Molyneux. “That was terrible, it was atrocious and I can understand him feeling offended about that. We should have... I should have made sure that he was still in the loop.”

So can the situation be fixed? Molyneux says yes, but it’s going to take time. “The problem we have is we can’t start his reign as God of Gods until we implement the technology that allows him to have influence over people’s worlds and crucially allows him to be challenged in competitive games of Godus and as people have pointed out we have to add combat to Godus still.”

“It’s not that we backed away from the idea, I still love the idea and I still absolutely love the fact it was someone British that won it, I still love the fact that Bryan is young and it’s going to be a life changing experience for him. That said, it is inexcusable that someone from 22Cans didn’t stay in contact with him. It’s just incompetence to be honest with you.”

Trail of promises
But this is not an isolated incident and Molyneux knows it. He is an enthusiastic and passionate developer, a singularly unguarded voice in an industry where upper level managers are media trained into robotic banality. But gamers are tired of it, and now, by falling short on Kickstarter pledges and stretching the site’s terms and conditions to their limits, he has incensed investors to deal with too.

When asked if it was fair to seek funding based on the promises made in a short pitch video, with no evidence of a product, Molyneux, who has so far given rambling and sometimes evasive responses, pauses for a considerable time. “I say these ideas so passionately, people think that these are hard and fast promises,” he finally responds. “I truly believe them when I say them, but as you know, sometimes they don’t come to pass. They don’t come to pass because they’re too technically difficult, they don’t come to pass because maybe they don’t fit and people see this as being a promise”.

His responses start to come with stutters and pauses. “My answer to this is this simple,” he says. “I love working on games, it is my life. I am so honoured to be a part of the games industry, but I understand that people are sick of hearing my voice and hearing my promises. So I’m going to stop doing press and I’m going to stop talking about games completely. And actually I’m only giving you this interview now in answer to this terrible and awful, emotional time over the last three days. I think honestly the only answer to this is for me to completely stop talking to the press.”

There is also something else going on, a very modern malaise; as a public figure in the games industry, Molyneux is visible and accessible. The social media storm has been furious, and with that, as we have seen over the past six months, comes something darker. “People get so frustrated with me, so much so that they’ve threatened me, they’ve threatened my family and it just cannot go on, it really can’t,” he says. “I think I’ll get this over and done with, I’ll answer some of the things backers are saying, but after that I feel the best thing I can do is just ….”

He trails away; the line sounds dead again.

Every encounter with Molyneux produces a strange mix of compassion and scepticism. He is disarmingly passionate, child-like in his enthusiasm, and seemingly naive about the effects of his many pronouncements, despite his 35 years in the industry. He willingly concedes that his approach to publicity has eroded faith in his ability to deliver products; he concedes that even his act of post-hype contrition has become staid and tiresome to many. He says, this time, he has learned to step back – even if it means withdrawing from what appears to be the part of game creation most important to him.

Over and out
Godus is a mess. Molyneux has handed control over to a fledgling designer Konrad Naszynski, who joined the team after being a passionate fan on the game’s forums. Some see this as passing the buck, setting someone else up for failure. There are hundreds of disappointed people who invested in this game, who want answers about its development and completion and who have received only promises and excuses for reduced team sizes. Molyneux has assured the Guardian, though, that people will be playing a finished version of Godus within nine months. He also says that nothing else will be revealed about the new project.

Peter Molyneux has admitted regret and culpability; he was clearly in distress throughout the interview – an interview he told us would will be his last. An hour before publication, however, we discovered that he had spoken to the gaming news site Rock, Paper, Shotgun the day before, and had given their interviewer the same impression – that he would no longer be speaking to the press (that interview is now online). He has also spoken to at least one other site, seemingly on the same afternoon as our discussion. Another trail of broken assurances.

“I think people are just sick of hearing from me,” he says in one disarmingly dark moment. “They’ve been sick of hearing from me for so many years now. You know, we’re done.”

good riddance

yeah

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ZearothK posted:

Seriously, this is the harshest loving interview I've ever read. It is like watching a car crash that keeps getting worse and worse. I think I have a new fetish.

motherfucker deserves it, he runs his mouth without thinking of the consequences and now he's reaping the bitter harvest of spreading that poo poo.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

can this thread be about peter molyneux in general

remember milo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvHlwNvXaM

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i remember he didn't quite promise the sky and the moon with black and white 2 just that it would be better than the first and i kind of like that game except that insufferable tutorial

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laughing Man posted:

Theme Park is one of my top games of all time, but imagine what it would have been like if for months beforehand you had a media blitz of interviews saying how amazing the reaction of your park visitors are, and the real-time accumulation of trash and vomit in your park and how the clowns will invent new balloon animals based on their mood that day and and and...

I have a feeling his games would be much better received if he wasn't allowed to speak to anyone.

Apparently "not talking to anyone" is what he is trying to do now. But I think Eurogamer prodded the wasp's nest by asking "wtf is happening with Bryan Henderson", and so it's snowballed and prompted an interview. I am not sure if this was actually PR by Molyneux though, where he gets to say what a great guy he is and all he wants to do is make great games etc.

Given a cursory glance at steam, Godus almost feels like an exit strategy for him and his family, but then he has that Trail game apparently going on, so I am not sure. Will be watching closely though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

social vegan posted:

hahaha lookit that tiny man hahahhaha sounds like he came up short op!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
badus

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you actually care about any of this

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Volume posted:

lol if you actually care about any of this

Lol if you are posting in here and don't know anything about videogames.

Also, kill yourself.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

spud posted:

Lol if you are posting in here and don't know anything about videogames.

Also, kill yourself.

Chill friend, it's Valentine's Day

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Anyone who gave money to the kickstarter and didn't see the current situation coming is too dumb to live. Rather than bitching about a lovely and still incomplete game they should be grateful for every day that they get through without fatally eating a box of dishwasher detergent.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Peter holydeuce lol yes

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
loving gamer nerds thinking a half mill is enough to develop a modern game

peter molyneux is cool as gently caress and made some brilliant games, the scrubby neck beards that hate and harass him are the worst

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I like how Black & White somehow moved into the "brilliant reputation-building classics" list when in fact it was the founding entry of the "Piece of poo poo with maybe 10% of promised features" list.

Last time I checked (a year ago) Godus was a Facebook game. Half a million pounds in kickstarter cash? How many loving guys does it take to re-code Populous? Are they using platinum punch cards?

Tujague fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I actually contributed to the Godus kickstarter n the back of remembering Populus and also giving game designers in my neighbourhood some work. I haven't bothered actually trying it out because the whole project has clearly been a bit of a shambles, but you know what, I probably put £20 towards it, so big loving deal.

Molyneaux's meltdown and Braben's experience with Elite illustrate the real problem with Kickstartering games, which is not that sometimes things go tits up, but that a large number of your customers are horrible loving goons (small g) who pour all their self-loathing and frustration into your product. Oh no my computer spacestation is the wrong colour, I will spend hours drafting abusive forum posts. Oh no, I need an internet connection to play, I'm going to literally sue (and also burn down your house) once I finish penning death threats to this tiresome woman with purple hair who has vaguely threatened my tiny penis.

This is what happens when you engage with your customers, developers.

• Locked thread