Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Who shot who in the what now?

David Pope is a political cartoonist whose work in The Canberra Times has frequently made both AusPol and the Political Cartoons thread go all :swoon:

I don't know a Plebiscite from a Platypus, how am I goin' to get enjoyment from your strange Upside Down color pictures?

The post after this will contain a Who/What/Why of Pope's common caricatures, so you can play along at home, it will fill out in time.

I've never played Knifey-Spoony before, what the hell is goin' on?

I'll mention Things that Happened as well as any more pecular cultural references under the relevant cartoons, as well.

Anyone who wants to fill out more detail on a subject is welcome to do so, and if I get something wrong you can point that out too. I'll be posting in chronological order with 5 cartoons per post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

These people run our country

Tony Abbott: Prime Minister of Australia.

Joe Hockey: Treasurer. National Budgets have layers.

Mattias Corrman: Senator with a Germanic accent who said something about "economic girlie-men"

Malcolm Turnbull: Minister for Tin Cans and Pieces of String because why replace the copper network with optical fiber now, when you can do it twenty years time!

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 18, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Mattias Corrman cribs off of Arnie

Former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam dies

That same day, the Australian Federal Police closes its case on the Balibo Five.

Tony Abbott toys with the Renewable Energy Target

5 :allears:
Tony Abbott and Christopher Pyne explain their plan for University Education. After Mr. Squiggle, a beloved Australian kid's show that ran for forty years. Any Australian who was a kid back when it was on will know what a sing-song cry of "Upside Down, Upside Down!" is referring to. :australia:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 18, 2015

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: arrest the pope :siren:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A good thread
Which should be countered by
A Bill Leak megapost.

I await.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Scottt Morisson and Operation Sovereign Borders

Tony Abbott doesn't like Greens or measures that force people who either dig coal up or burn it to pay for the privilege.

A Thing Happened!

Thing 2: Thing Harder

Do Turnbulls Dream of Metadata Retention?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yo I really like Pope and Rowe, and I know they get under-appreciated in the main thread, but three politoon threads (actually four atm) is pushing it. A possible solution could be posting them in the UK thread maybe? It gets a fraction of the cartoons and usually all in one post, so the Aussie ones could add some variety there. Tone seems to want you guys to be good little colonials anyway!

I'll ask them to see if they have any real objections but I think it would be for the best, becuase 3 different politoon threads jesus christ :smithicide:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

This more Let's Play: David Pope's archives at the Canberra Times than an active politoon thread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
idk, i'll ask xylo but i don't think that it's right to have a thread all for one guy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Okay, Xylo is in agreement and it looks like the UK thread is happy to have AusToons. You're free to spread out your Pope Retrospective in there (and people can post any other aus cartoons), where tbh it'll probably get more response than it would have on its own anyway!

I reckon you can just copy & paste your character bios in there, and I'll edit a link into the op some time tomorrow :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Sure, here is the link for the OP, I've merged intro and bio into one.

• Locked thread