Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you've clearly never been to detroit, the party hat and kazoo are how you recognize the dealer out front :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just bought this badboy:

Who wants to go on a BOOZE CRUISE! :toot:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If it flies, floats or fucks you're better off renting it by the hour.

That being said, never turn down a free canoe. Canoes own they're boats you literally don't have to do anything to maintain.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Does a canoe and kayak count?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

If it flies, floats or fucks you're better off renting it by the hour.

That being said, never turn down a free canoe. Canoes own they're boats you literally don't have to do anything to maintain.

I've done some canoe maintenance.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Next time just let your canoe fall apart, just look on kijiji for free canoes, its easier

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Next time just let your canoe fall apart, just look on kijiji for free canoes, its easier

No way man me and that canoe have shared a lot of moments.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I saw this boat the weekend just gone. it's a loving cool boat. When you got a boat custom designed that's the only one in the world this big I guess maintenance becomes a non issue. I went on a couple 200ft yachts the same weekend but they were kinda stuffy and a bit 80's in design so I didnt buy one.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

My dad owns like two or three boats. But he is a fisherman so they're all purely occupational tools and pretty small.

:) : Who here owns a recreational boat?
:downs: : Someone who isn't here owns a non-recreational boat

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Stoic Commie posted:

you've clearly never been to detroit, the party hat and kazoo are how you recognize the dealer out front :toot:

i rescind my previous comment, i've only been to the UP which is like a weird canadian province. detroit sounds cool, keep on with the party stores

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

canoes are awesome, if you live in america take your canoe to the boundary waters canoe area at some point if you like canoes and camping, it's an amazing place. also canada has some place called quetico which i haven't been to but it's more rugged and natural since there are like 20 thousand canadians total i think

the bwca has hundreds of lakes and rivers and some of the oldest exposed rock on earth and huge white pines and good fishing and moose and other cool animals too

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
do you have an obx bumper sticker

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Most people on SA aren't old enough to have a lot of disposable income in order to afford a boat. Those that do aren't generally dumb enough to buy one like our parents unless they actually, you know, use it a lot instead of letting it rot in the driveway.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a summer house but it's in the middle of the woods and the nearest lake is maybe half a mile away. would be cool to get a rowing boat w/ an electronic engine.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

i have a summer house but it's in the middle of the woods and the nearest lake is maybe half a mile away. would be cool to get a rowing boat w/ an electronic engine.

what the gently caress kinda summer house is that?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

grandparents bought it in the 70s and my grandma couldn't swim and was scared of water. she wanted a forest house b/c she was afraid us kids would drown in the lake. idk i like it, no neighbours and the forest starts from the edge of my yard. also the land was really cheap so i we have a relatively big property.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Dave Concepcion posted:

why the gently caress would you have a yard at your summer house anyways, yards are stupid

yes, i'd like to sign up to mow another property every week for half the year (kill me now)

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 19, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Like goons give a gently caress what's outside. How close is the nearest establishment that sells junk food and does it get broadband?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pivotal Lever posted:

why the gently caress would you have a yard at your summer house anyways, yards are stupid

yes, i'd like to sign up to mow another property every week for half the year (kill me now)

it's just some gravel and dirt, there's no lawn or any planting or poo poo, it's just basically the forest floor w/ some gravel to fill out the worst holes. i didn't know the word yard signifies that it has to have a lawn?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

that sounds reasonable to me, i support your dream of a small boat with an electric motor. you can get canoes with a transom that allows you to attach an electric trolling motor

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Getting pretty defensive over your yard there, buddy. Anything else you want to tell us?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pivotal Lever posted:

that sounds reasonable to me, i support your dream of a small boat with an electric motor. you can get canoes with a transom that allows you to attach an electric trolling motor

This is really a great compromise. With the motor you're able to easily explore bigger areas and they can be relatively cheap and easy to maintain.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Getting pretty defensive over your yard there, buddy. Anything else you want to tell us?

i kind of want to make a small japanese garden there

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i am dictating this post to the staff on my yacht

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Nice. Make trails too - it's rewarding and practical.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dyna Soar posted:

You are a beautiful human being. And I don't even know what a Japanese garden is.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

You are a beautiful human being. And I don't even know what a Japanese garden is.

it's basically a rock and moss garden that needs minimal maintenance.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
ah, the hot suffocating summer heat, a nice breeze and water to cool down in? not for this camper! only the finest, densest most mosquito-ridden woods will suffice!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dave Concepcion posted:

ah, the hot suffocating summer heat, a nice breeze and water to cool down in? not for this camper! only the finest, densest most mosquito-ridden woods will suffice!

ha, surprisingly there isn't that many mosquitos there. the thing is, in that part of the country if you have a summer house by a lake, you're almost guaranteed to have neighbors on both sides and most like have to listen to their loving lawnmowers, water jets and fighting. i live in the city and when i go there, i get the illusion of being in the real wilderness while at the same time having electricity b/c the power line goes past us.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dyna Soar posted:

it's basically a rock and moss garden that needs minimal maintenance.

I don't recall saying I want to know.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I don't recall saying I want to know.

you can make moss graffiti by mixing some moss and beer in a blender and then painting a wall or a big rock with the mixture.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nooooooo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

I saw this boat the weekend just gone. it's a loving cool boat. When you got a boat custom designed that's the only one in the world this big I guess maintenance becomes a non issue. I went on a couple 200ft yachts the same weekend but they were kinda stuffy and a bit 80's in design so I didnt buy one.

These are cool boots.

Hemingway had a boat so boat = kill yourself.

Pivotal Lever posted:

I had one of these it was called a scanoe. So I called it the 23 scanoe.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

ha, surprisingly there isn't that many mosquitos there. the thing is, in that part of the country if you have a summer house by a lake, you're almost guaranteed to have neighbors on both sides and most like have to listen to their loving lawnmowers, water jets and fighting. i live in the city and when i go there, i get the illusion of being in the real wilderness while at the same time having electricity b/c the power line goes past us.

a lot of lake cabins in minnesota are cramped with neighbors but luckily my grandfather had the foresight to buy a nice piece of land with a single neighbor located a few hundred feet away that you can barely see through the trees. sorry about your grandma's ignorance about swimming lessons?

by that i mean provide your children and/or grandchildren with swimming lessons and they won't drown

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pivotal Lever posted:

a lot of lake cabins in minnesota are cramped with neighbors but luckily my grandfather had the foresight to buy a nice piece of land with a single neighbor located a few hundred feet away that you can barely see through the trees. sorry about your grandma's ignorance about swimming lessons?

well, this is going pretty far OT but it's really common in her age class here not to know how to swim. neither of my grandma's actually know how to swim. they were children during ww2 and often had to relocate to foster families across the country for the duration of the war. honestly they just had to work and work and work from a young age. no time for swimming lessons.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

well, this is going pretty far OT but it's really common in her age class here not to know how to swim. neither of my grandma's actually know how to swim. they were children when our country was at war and often had to relocate to foster families and honestly just had to work and work and work from a young age. no time for swimming lessons.

yeah that is understandable, my maternal grandmother never learned to drive a car, so not knowing how to swim seems more reasonable than that

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

but still, having a summer house/cabin at all is pretty great, livin the high life :hfive:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

open container posted:

:) : Who here owns a recreational boat?
:downs: : Someone who isn't here owns a non-recreational boat

You made the mistake of thinking I can actually read.

Reading is for scrubs.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh totally, it's only an hours drive so i spend all my weekends there. beers and bbq and there's loads of mushrooms and berries in the forest. also there's actually a p. sweet small brewery like, 20 miles from my cabin where i go to buy beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

ok fair enough

• Locked thread