Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
when i was 12 i played a female dark elf so i could see her butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i played a homeless beggar and asked people for spare change

it was so effective i tried my hand at it in real life

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Don Mega posted:

when i was 12 i played a female dark elf so i could see her butt

When I was 12 I'd keep the female knights of the old republic characters in their underwear

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
found a pic

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I remember joining RP servers and staying in character until we made camp then I would try to seduce other players.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I never played Everquest, i kinda looks like WoW but with a worse UI.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Helpimscared posted:

I never played Everquest, i kinda looks like WoW but with a worse UI.

It sucked balls.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress yeah EC tunnel

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vargs posted:

90% of the game right here.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was at my friends house playing ps2 and he got some item in everquest and then threw up his hands and shouted "I CAMPED 60 HOURS FOR THIS"

sounds like it was an exciting game

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
train to zone!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I played original EQ on live servers and gave up for things took ages and the game always punished you.

I had fun on private servers with friends so we could remove the punishment and farming and abusive GMs and we just had fun bulldozing and going to town on everything.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vargs posted:

The bazaar, before the bazaar.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Limbo room

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

the company that made eq is now owned by the russian mafia. these guys bought soe. they are owned by this russian company which does cool things like this

quote:

Norex said Yugraneft's offices in 2001 were overrun by militia members wielding AK-47 assault rifles. It also claimed the billionaires bribed officials in order to win a Russian court ruling that diluted Norex's stake in the company.

fansy the bard is the best thing to ever come out of everquest which was an objectively terrible game that teen me thought was good

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EQOA was my first MMO and honestly i think it's one of the best entries in the genre especially compared to the schlock that came out post wow

gnome city

halas

qeynos

freeport

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I wish Everquest caused more suicides than it did.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

UO was better

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My only EQ exposure was a friend of mine training/leading a bunch of huge trolls to his public party and hitting on first strike with a weapon that teleported him somewhere else.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Remember that eq commercial where the banker guy gets off work and calls his buddies? Time to slay the dragon!!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i think i found something awful in 2001 or 2002 looking for something related to everquest

was a fun game when i had infinite free time

they changed a lot about it now and it's fun to go back start a level 1 and get a mercenary to annihilate the content that used to take whole groups to do from 1-60 or so

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

amityville anus posted:

My only EQ exposure was a friend of mine training/leading a bunch of huge trolls to his public party and hitting on first strike with a weapon that teleported him somewhere else.

LOL

I played eQII for several years, but got tired of everyone constantly leveling ahead of me. So many of them had even less of lives than I did. Oh yeah. There were also weird love triangles in a couple of guilds I joined. It was weird as hell.

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 20, 2015

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Frog Act posted:

EQOA was my first MMO and honestly i think it's one of the best entries in the genre especially compared to the schlock that came out post wow

gnome city

halas

qeynos

freeport

this is the game that made me buy a ps2. bought it the day it came out along with a ps2 and had a ton of fun for the year and a half that I played. Great game. Too bad after WoW came out 99% of mmos from then on were either made from the ground up to be WoW clones or updated to be more like WoW. The MMO industry is garbage

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Frog Act posted:

gnome city Gnomergan

qeynos Stormwind

freeportTanaris

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

http://www.somethingawful.com/everquest/how-annoy-people/ This article was the first thing I saw on Something Awful, back when I was only 12.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 20, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

Something I do kind of miss about the EQ era of mmos was the community though, everything is just queues now and people don't really talk to or befriend strangers at all.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

I never liked the game, but the game/box art was so freaking rad.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everquest was loving rear end. You're delusional if you thought there was ever an era where MMOs were "so much better."
They were worthless from the very start.
At least UO was the most insanely hilarious clusterfuck.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

they werent so much better

but they were pretty different from one another which was great

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The peak of MMOs was Lord British getting firebombed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

JebanyPedal posted:

Everquest was loving rear end. You're delusional if you thought there was ever an era where MMOs were "so much better."
They were worthless from the very start.
At least UO was the most insanely hilarious clusterfuck.
The gameplay was certainly worse than modern mmos but the experience was fun for a kid without real world responsibilities. The slower pace of the game and how inconvenient everything was made it a lot more immersive than clicking on a button that queues you to match up with 4 random other people who will go through an instance you've already done several times in complete silence or clicking on a button to travel to some location either instantly or while you alt tab to do other stuff. It also gave various classes unique abilities that encouraged you to interact with people rather than just having npcs that could do pretty much anything you needed.

EQ and oldschool wow were more about making a digital world to get lost in while modern wow and other mmos are more just trying to make a game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

/ooc train to zone

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
it was cool that when you got drunk your fov got all hosed up

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ArbitraryC posted:

The gameplay was certainly worse than modern mmos but the experience was fun for a kid without real world responsibilities. The slower pace of the game and how inconvenient everything was made it a lot more immersive than clicking on a button that queues you to match up with 4 random other people who will go through an instance you've already done several times in complete silence or clicking on a button to travel to some location either instantly or while you alt tab to do other stuff. It also gave various classes unique abilities that encouraged you to interact with people rather than just having npcs that could do pretty much anything you needed.

EQ and oldschool wow were more about making a digital world to get lost in while modern wow and other mmos are more just trying to make a game.

That was the intent, but the result was a clusterfuck of PKing, insanely unbalanced and unfun content, and a bunch of tedious bad design garbage that made modern MMOs look like paragons of gaming excellence.
They were bad in a different FUNNIER way, but they certainly weren't any less boring or garbage.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I remember watching my brother play a druid on a pvp server and they were in this forest or something when this high level dudes of one of the other alignments showed up and started just loving random people up in the zone so he ran into a thicker area of the woods and turned himself into a tree as the raiding group ran by none the wiser.

poo poo like that would literally never happen in a modern mmo.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

lmao @ crying about balance and pking

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

in a mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Nefarious posted:

it was cool that when you got drunk your fov got all hosed up

I loved how people had drunken races. I got my Alcohol Tolerance skill up to like grandmaster or something around level 20. I played a half-elf warrior named Vertipot Verticalslice lol

• Locked thread