Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Doctor J Off posted:

seafood is disgusting and polluted so they're doing the poor a favor by taking all the nasty sea-cockroaches

kill yourself ironically and unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

if there are any crabs readin this thread get in my belly asap, thx

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Shrimp is legit, but I've never had crab or lobster that was good enough to be worth the effort. I would rather put the money I would have spent on a lobster into upgrading my shrimp into those u-8 motherfuckers.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

They have poo poo quality crab legs at a lot of Chinese buffets and Golden Corral, so OP isn't exactly correct.

Lobster is overpriced, crab and shrimp are loving great though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

some posters here already showing signs of mercury poisoning

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i've only had really good lobster at expensive places. chili crab is one of the best things on the planet, however

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
the artisan grilled cheese restaurants in SF/SV are p hilarious

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Mariana Horchata posted:

the artisan grilled cheese restaurants in SF/SV are p hilarious

find me a restaurant that does a fancy version of a chopped up hot dog in mac n cheese

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
it tastes like chicken right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Lobsters are hilariously overfished

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Improbable Lobster posted:

hmmm

conspiracy? you be the judge

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Lobster is literally trash and people only pretend to like it because they think it makes them appear to be more sophisticated (eg. poors who think Red Lobster is fancy dining).

Crab, on the other hand, is awesome.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol. stupid poor for telilng the rich how good the poo poo was.

Exps
Jun 14, 2008
rich people only pretend to buy crab and lobster so that the poors spend their life savings on it

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Business Gorillas posted:

find me a restaurant that does a fancy version of a chopped up hot dog in mac n cheese

seriously looks like hes starting to pull his food game together but still overpriced (esp for alabama) and most of it likely only tasty if ur p blazed up

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 20, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah that's the real reason why they're expensive, yeah it's cheaper if you live right next to where it's fished but it's still not like cheap in the way most people use the word. Historically they weren't popular enough to result in overfishing so they were cheap because they were plentyfull, now they're considered to be some steak level delicacy but but don't simply raise them like cows so we've overfished them so they're expensive.

Eat bivalves instead they're good for the environment and easy to sustainably harvest.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

could have sworn i read at one point poor fishermen who harvested lobsters actually petitioned to not be paid in lobster meat because they were sick of eating it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lobster was fed to prisoners and indentured servants

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah that's the real reason why they're expensive, yeah it's cheaper if you live right next to where it's fished but it's still not like cheap in the way most people use the word. Historically they weren't popular enough to result in overfishing so they were cheap because they were plentyfull, now they're considered to be some steak level delicacy but but don't simply raise them like cows so we've overfished them so they're expensive.

Eat bivalves instead they're good for the environment and easy to sustainably harvest.

I wonder how feasible a lobster farm would be.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

could have sworn i read at one point poor fishermen who harvested lobsters actually petitioned to not be paid in lobster meat because they were sick of eating it

Those guys were prisoners in a jail-tower (British? French?), I believe. They went on a hunger strike because they were only fed lobster every day as their only meat source and they felt it was inhumane treatment.

Come to think of it, lobster and crab only taste good because they're boiled to death only minutes before they're slathered in butter to the point of sogginess (aka lol at dem richers' refined tastes!). But now I'm trying to imagine this:

You're a prisoner of the state in a max security jail tower near the coast, making GBS threads out a window and denied your basic goods like blankets, fresh water, and utensils. Your meal for the day is lobster, again- no butter, no spices, no goddamn tools to crack open the shells and get at the lovely meat with the weird texture... and sometimes your lobster isn't even cooked, much less fully dead. That's right, every drat day you gotta expect you're gonna have to fight an angry lobster and bash its stupid brains in so you can live the rest of your life sucking the muscle matter out of giant bugs' legs.

No thanks, buddy!

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
lotta taco bell cretins hating on seafood in this thread

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Come to think of it, lobster and crab only taste good because they're boiled to death only minutes before they're slathered in butter to the point of sogginess (aka lol at dem richers' refined tastes!).

lol scrub

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
here's a handy metric

if you don't like cioppino kill yourself

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It used to be the poors got to enjoy the crabs and lobsters cause the rich didn't want them so they were super cheap... but some poor gently caress decided to tell a rich guy how awesome they were and now the poors only get to catch lobsters and crabs and bring them to the rich peoples who take them away and charge ridiculous prices for them cause they are tasty as gently caress. What's the next poor food that the rich folk are gonna steal from the poors? loving beans and rice? Gonna make beans and rice go up to like $10/pound?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2011/04/27/how-goldman-sachs-created-the-food-crisis/

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
yospos loves the crab legs

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Lobster-lovin' land-lubbers only ITT.

Also, if you want to make cioppino for your hot date on the cheap you can just blend two cans of fancy feast's Seafood Medley in with some tomatoes and hot salt water. Soon you'll taste the wonders of the ocean and feeling all its funky motions, if you know what I mean

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Same in Alaska for salmon, they had to pass laws to keep canneries from feeding workers salmon all the time - I don't even know, what does Copper or Yukon River Sockeye cost these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
That looks like some $1000 patio furniture.

Business Gorillas posted:

Does mac and cheese with artisan hotdogs count? 4505 has some.
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/san-francisco/best-mac-and-cheese-in-sf-2015

• Locked thread