Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Master Twig posted:

Well, if new GBS has taught me anything, being an atheist puts me in the same level as bronies, furries and gamergaters.

Is there a term for people who don't believe in God, but also don't talk about it, or join atheist groups, and believe that fedoras and poor hygiene are bad things?

Normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Dennis System posted:

Pascal's wager is p dumb.

Lol if you think anyone takes it seriously. Not even pascal took it seriously, it comes from his disca4 pile

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gary oldmans diary posted:

pascals wager lol
pretend to believe a god exists for no other reason than why not and pick a random one that you can trace the roots of as a man made creation
because picking what is almost certainly the wrong god according to the same logic pascals wager stands on and living according to those fake religious practices would be any better to a real god than just living your life well
"christian philosopher" :jerkbag:

Sounds like u just got trolled

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

when you show me physical evidence of gods existence then i'll completely change my position and believe in god. that's what scientists do. when their theory is disproved they are HAPPY ABOUT it and they congratulate the person who proved them wrong. ever seen a priest do that? nope, you havent.

I get the feeling you don't actually know what science means or what its boundaries are

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pascals wager says that if you're being purely rational then you would believe in god and if you don't then its due to irrational feelings otherwise do you get the joke yet

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redshirt posted:

Like I mean there is no thing called "Evolution" and as such he's not speaking or dictating or doing anything at all, since he doesn't exist.

"Evolution isnt real it doesn't exist" -- notorious former mod redshirt

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

why is everyone at atheist conventions white

quakster posted:

bonding together with others who share your values is good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gammatron 64 posted:

the thing about butt men is they never shut up about how butts are supposedly better, like they feel like they have something to prove

im a boob man and I dont feel the need to share this constantly and wax poetic about how superior boobs are

sounds kinda like iternet atheists always needin to talk about how smart they are

makes u think

I often feel pressure to be an rear end man just because of race politics

I'm not even sure what I believe anymore

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

quakster posted:

evolution is guided by "natural selection". natural selection is the name given to the observation that something which does not exist cannot produce copies of itself

I think you have that backwards

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agag posted:

Because New Atheism is a Trojan horse for white supremacism. hth

Until you scientifically prove to me that muds deseerve rights I'm not going to humor your irrational bullshit that's dragging this country bsack into the stone age

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

solaranus posted:

The purpose of prayer is to remember you're not god yo, you're someone that makes emotional mistakes. A sin is by definition an action coming from emotional weakness with consequences that are harmful to yourself and the community.

So yoire saying posting is a sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ogodei_Khan posted:

The problem is how people read or interpret what IQ is. The concept came from Alfred Binet in the early 1900s. It was not designed to test how smart you are but designed to test who would benefit from interaction and who could not. All of the tests following Binet's sought to extrapolate how well you could deal with being educated in a certain type of setting. There are still lingering concepts of difference and the value of certain type of abstract thinking over other types of abstract thinking. This pops up especially in weird ways with causal patterns in the ones that have more culture dependent variables. Things like direction of language in reading, visual abilities and other things all influence your score passively. The test and other tests developed in its vein attempt to derive a rate of learning by sampling behaviors, visual discrimination, pattern following ,motor behavior, and other things. Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences was also meant to work in a similar way.You are actually not supposed to rely upon one test alone to figure things out. Diagnosticians often interpret them in line with other things too. The TONI is another test that attempts to acquire IQ solely through pattern recognition and assessing relations in shapes. I know many of these style tests are partially used to help identify things like placement in special education.

Why not just say IQ was made to spot retarded kids and is pretty good at that, not s much anything else

• Locked thread