Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

JosephWongKS posted:

Hmm, I never thought of that question myself. I know that if you put a Bag of Holding into another Bag of Holding, you get a big-rear end explosion and both Bags of Holding and their contents vaporize. Do the D&D rules cover what happens if the person holding the Bag of Holding himself crawls into the Bag of Holding?

Indeed they do! Bags of Holding work by shunting your stuff into a pocket dimension, and so the real trouble is that you're stuck with whatever air is in there. Unless you also have a magic bottle that refreshes the air or something similar, you can only survive inside for a few minutes, and I don't think you can get back out without help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm pretty sure the whole pet thing is code for "I don't like animals and I don't want to hear you explain why I should." Similarly, when people ask me for donations for children I say "I'm sorry, I'm anti-child" just to get them to stop.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo stop it, you little poo poo!
Why does everything have to be a problem for this kid?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SSNeoman posted:

He had to get those character points somewhere.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

You can't win a conversation unless you get the first word, the last word, and the majority of the words in between.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SSNeoman posted:

He has to show he can always tell what people are thinking because of his cleverness while also being lovely at social interaction because that's the basic, cliche sci-fi/fantasy archetype for Smart Character.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Added Space posted:

Then again, the guy has a full-time sex slave... so yeah, probably more like idealized self image.

Well no wonder it took so long to write the series.

I mean I can procrastinate for hours just browsing the internet, give me my own sex slave and I would get nothing done.

"Sorry guys, I'd love to come out to the bar tonight. But you know, sex slave, such a time sink amirite?"

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Indeed they do! Bags of Holding work by shunting your stuff into a pocket dimension, and so the real trouble is that you're stuck with whatever air is in there. Unless you also have a magic bottle that refreshes the air or something similar, you can only survive inside for a few minutes, and I don't think you can get back out without help.

I thought they tore a dimensional rift open if you did that and you would fall out into the infinite void between planes.

Edit: nvm, they changed the rules in fourth edition. Now you're right.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought they tore a dimensional rift open if you did that and you would fall out into the infinite void between planes.

I think it's okay to nest bags of holding or portable holes, but only if you don't mix between the two.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Bags of Devouring are their own offshoot of magical storage. Instead of being a portal to an extra-dimensional storage space, it is a disguised feeding orifice of a insatiable cosmic horror. The best magical storage is of course Heward's Handy Haversack. Look it up sometime. It has features a bag of holding can only dream of. Like shoulder straps and pockets. Whatever you're looking for automatically being on top is the most vital feature, though. Every adventurer should have one.

Tunicate posted:

I think it's okay to nest bags of holding or portable holes, but only if you don't mix between the two.

Any of that chicanery usually ends up with ruining the items and dumping your stuff in storage wherever. Catastrophic explosions are usually GM fiat. The only D&D magic items I can think of that explode when broken as per the rules are the Staff of Power and its cousins, where the catastrophic results of such a sundering are often intentionally brought on.

Of course, turning a bag of holding inside-out or puncturing it is supposed to ruin the magic. Does a sewing needle count as puncturing? If so, preventative maintenance is impossible and bags of holding are extremely expensive curios at best.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tunicate posted:

Didn't used to be. In 2nd edition that was a great way to buy a one-way ticket to the Astral Plane.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Conversations like this are one thing I really like about hpmor, Harry thinks like a gamer, and asks the awkward questions we're asking. I'm guessing the only way he won't break the game is there's lots of arbitrary limits?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Post owls in HP mostly feed themselves and are almost never caged, so the pet conversation is even more contrived than it seems at first.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

On the other hand, someone actually did mix Harry Potter and a d20 character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Much better at what HPMOR is trying to do (find the rules of the universe, break them).

I'm excited to be following this thread, I stopped reading after the troll, so I wanna see what happens.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 6: The Planning Fallacy
Part Seven

quote:

"Were you?"

"No! " Harry shouted. "No, I never was! Do you think I'm stupid? I know about the concept of child abuse, I know about inappropriate touching and all of that and if anything like that happened I would call the police! And report it to the head teacher! And look up social services in the phone book! And tell Grandpa and Grandma and Mrs. Figg! But my parents never did anything like that, never ever ever! How dare you suggest such a thing!"

The older witch gazed at him steadily. "It is my duty as Deputy Headmistress to investigate possible signs of abuse in the children under my care."

Harry's anger was spiralling out of control into pure, black fury. "Don't you ever dare breathe a word of these, these insinuations to anyone else! No one, do you hear me, McGonagall? An accusation like that can ruin people and destroy families even when the parents are completely innocent! I've read about it in the newspapers!" Harry's voice was climbing to a high-pitched scream. "The system doesn't know how to stop, it doesn't believe the parents or the children when they say nothing happened! Don't you dare threaten my family with that! I won't let you destroy my home! "

I’ll just quote SSNeoman here since he or she has put it best: “Holy poo poo stop it, you little poo poo! Why does everything have to be a problem for this kid?”

quote:

"Harry," the older witch said softly, and she reached out a hand towards him -

Harry took a fast step back, and his hand snapped up and knocked hers away.

McGonagall froze, then she pulled her hand back, and took a step backwards. "Harry, it's all right," she said. "I believe you."

"Do you," Harry hissed. The fury still roaring through his blood. "Or are you just waiting to get away from me so you can file the papers?"

"Harry, I saw your house. I saw you with your parents. They love you. You love them. I do believe you when you say that your parents are not abusing you. But I had to ask, because there is something strange at work here."

Harry stared at her coldly. "Like what?"

"Harry, I've seen many abused children in my time at Hogwarts, it would break your heart to know how many. And, when you're happy, you don't behave like one of those children, not at all. You smile at strangers, you hug people, I put my hand on your shoulder and you didn't flinch. But sometimes, only sometimes, you say or do something that seems very much like... someone who spent his first eleven years locked in a cellar. Not the loving family that I saw." Professor McGonagall tilted her head, her expression growing puzzled again.

Harry took this in, processing it. The black rage began to drain away, as it dawned on him that he was being listened to respectfully, and that his family wasn't in danger.

"And how do you explain your observations, Professor McGonagall?"

"I don't know," she said. "But it's possible that something could have happened to you that you don't remember."

Fury rose up again in Harry. That sounded all too much like what he'd read in the newspaper stories of shattered families. "Suppressed memory is a load of pseudoscience! People do not repress traumatic memories, they remember them all too well for the rest of their lives!"

Trauma could result in dissociative orders that include amnesia, though.

quote:

"No, Mr. Potter. There is a Charm called Obliviation."

Harry froze in place. "A spell that erases memories?"

The older witch nodded. "But not all the effects of the experience, if you see what I'm saying, Mr. Potter."

A chill went down Harry's spine. That hypothesis... could not be easily refuted. "But my parents couldn't do that!"

"Indeed not," said Professor McGonagall. "It would have taken someone from the wizarding world. There's... no way to be certain, I'm afraid."

Harry's rationalist skills began to boot up again. "Professor McGonagall, how sure are you of your observations, and what alternative explanations could there also be?"

The witch opened her hands, as though to show their emptiness. "Sure? I'm sure of nothing, Mr. Potter. In all my life I've never met anyone else like you. Sometimes you just don't seem eleven years old or even all that human."

This Harry Potter doesn’t talk like one, at the least.

quote:

Harry's eyebrows rose toward the sky -

"I'm sorry!" Professor McGonagall said quickly. "I'm very sorry, Mr. Potter. I was trying to make a point and I'm afraid that came out sounding different from what I had in mind -"

"On the contrary, Professor McGonagall," Harry said, and slowly smiled. "I shall take it as a very great compliment. But would you mind if I offered an alternative explanation?"

Does the author also take it as a compliment if someone calls him “not all that human”?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 6, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harry has never heard of a concussion, it seems.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Got a broken italics tag, there.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're thinking of what happens when you put something sharp in a Bag of Holding without a sheath or scabbard. Stuffing yourself in is no trouble at all by at least 3rd edition (aside from the suffocation thing, I mean).

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

LowellDND posted:

On the other hand, someone actually did mix Harry Potter and a d20 character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20
I read this. It was great.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have to say he's getting across McGonagal pretty well, in that she is caught between her charitable desire to help a lost child become a member of his rightful society, and her increasing awareness that he appears to be the Antichrist.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sc

LowellDND posted:

Scrub tier. Gandalf was only a 5th level a Magic User.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
I just spent the past two days reading all of this on the suggestion of a friend, and I went from eager enthusiasm to horrified disdain. Thank you all for being here for me. I had no idea what I was getting into, and I feel like I've read through a version of CWC's Sonichu mythos that was written with one hand by a spergy pseudo-intellectual showboater.

JuulPodSaveAmerica fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Which probably influenced the E6 house rules :D http://goo.gl/mmrr8W

Loel fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 6, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I read the whole of this a few months back when I was very down indeed, and remember thinking parts of it read like a satire of the author's own philosophy. The endless bits about humanity conquering nature to rule among the stars seem insane, but having the main character continue to promote them in a world where rationality itself has broken down seems just to highlight how very hubristic that sort of philosophy is.

Having said that I still think there's a lot to like in HP:MOR; I thought what it did with the dementors in particular was a very clever reinterpretation. I've noticed reading the reviews of it that almost everyone despises the whole thing while a small number think it's the best thing ever, and I wonder if this is maybe a book that would appeal very much to some people on the autistic spectrum and not at all to everyone else? "Isolated genius protagonist points out problems in popular fantasy series" is more or less the most autistic spectrumy pitch I can imagine, and as someone who is on the spectrum I suspect I was going "my heavens, isn't this great?" at bits where everyone else just winced.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

How is reinterpreting the grim reaper look-alikes as personifications of death 'very clever'?

Especially when they can't actually kill anyone?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Moddington posted:

How is reinterpreting the grim reaper look-alikes as personifications of death 'very clever'?

Especially when they can't actually kill anyone?

I thought the idea that animals could repeal them because they didn't understand death as a concept was clever, as was the idea that the dread of them approaching was the dread of death. Also the idea of nobody realising due to not wanting to confront what they were, I think, because the wizarding world in Harry Potter does often come across as a place where people actively avoid thinking about things that scare them or that they don't understand. I like most of the bits where Harry is able to solve problems through not being scared, actually, they resonate with me in a way that "I used timeless theories of quantum physics to transfigure some glass" do not.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

vegetables posted:

I thought the idea that animals could repeal them because they didn't understand death as a concept was clever

That doesn't even make sense though. Not understanding something doesn't make you immune to it. Plus, as written they very obviously represent depression, and to get them to work as representations of death you basically have to change everything about them but their appearance (which is just a sort of generic spectre anyway).

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Well most of his levels must have been in Fighter then, since he did beat a Balrog Balorsome kind of Demonic Bull-man on his lonesome.

On-topic I have to say that Harry Potter is a rather odd choice of franchise to get so angrily rationalist about. Like I get that it's because it's popular and exists concurrently with 20th century science. But the magic in HP is already so codified and consistent; say the right words and you'll get the same effects without any mess. Most of the strange and unpredictable creatures of the world are some flavor of tamed, enslaved, or documented by wizard magic. It's like King Kong captured by Carl Denham, a wonder of the world chained down for elementary school students to gawk at.

Obviously I'm exaggerating some things. But Harry Potter's magic definitely evokes science more than like, occultism or shamanism or the more metaphorical stuff that authors like Tolkien wrote. There's a standard curriculum for God's sake!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Bendigeidfran posted:

Well most of his levels must have been in Fighter then, since he did beat a Balrog Balorsome kind of Demonic Bull-man on his lonesome.

On-topic I have to say that Harry Potter is a rather odd choice of franchise to get so angrily rationalist about. Like I get that it's because it's popular and exists concurrently with 20th century science. But the magic in HP is already so codified and consistent; say the right words and you'll get the same effects without any mess. Most of the strange and unpredictable creatures of the world are some flavor of tamed, enslaved, or documented by wizard magic. It's like King Kong captured by Carl Denham, a wonder of the world chained down for elementary school students to gawk at.

Obviously I'm exaggerating some things. But Harry Potter's magic definitely evokes science more than like, occultism or shamanism or the more metaphorical stuff that authors like Tolkien wrote. There's a standard curriculum for God's sake!

I can see the attraction - Harry Potter wizards are really more analogous to natural philosophers or alchemists as they know that if you do X and Y you get Z effect, but they don't know why, and they can't use that knowledge to predict what would happen if you do W and X instead. There's no theory behind the magic, it's all just application. A story about an HP character trying to discover some underlying theory and approaching the whole thing as an exciting field to learn about and begin to understand could be really interesting. This, unfortunately, does not seem to be that story as it's more about Author Insert Harry preaching about his worldview and looking for loopholes in the rules to exploit; he's not doing experiments or really attempting to learn from the people who have more experience than him, he's just assuming he knows everything already (and unfortunately the author will probably make it so he's correct).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They mention laws and theory several times - it just gets skimmed over because nobody gives a poo poo about a formula.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Bendigeidfran posted:

You're over-thinking it. When you're writing a author insert worldview exposition livejournal you go for the biggest potential audience possible. And if that means piggybacking on the most popular book series of all time, so be it.

The other thing to remember, as you embark on spewing out multiple copies of War and Peace, is that you don't want to try to blandly appeal to everyone. You just need some small, small subset of readers to become Atlas-Shrugged-evangelist levels of fanatically devoted to your philosophy. So take chances, espouse controversial ideas, kill characters, reinterpret major plot points. And throw in as many callouts and meta-references as you can. Someone will think its brilliant! The rest of the plebs just don't get your genius and will give up on reading a few hundred pages in. Ignore them, they don't bother to write reviews anyway.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Basically he should've went with Pokemon.
Saying that, please tell me there's a section on firebreathing dragons.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Ash Ketchum and the acquisiton of ratocination" - Would read.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Saying that, please tell me there's a section on firebreathing dragons.

I hope he is ignorant of real fire-breathing creatures if he does.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
So these beetles have loving jet engines in their arse, and don't use them to do something lame like, say, escaping, but instead use them to melt your face?

There isn't enough :black101: in the world.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Pvt.Scott posted:

I hope he is ignorant of real fire-breathing creatures if he does.

Or asthmatic dinosaurs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9w26JXXpWU&t=4m1s

Sadly, no dragons appear in this fic.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

blackmongoose posted:

I can see the attraction - Harry Potter wizards are really more analogous to natural philosophers or alchemists as they know that if you do X and Y you get Z effect, but they don't know why, and they can't use that knowledge to predict what would happen if you do W and X instead. There's no theory behind the magic, it's all just application. A story about an HP character trying to discover some underlying theory and approaching the whole thing as an exciting field to learn about and begin to understand could be really interesting.
There was a really pulpy series of books (The Wizardry Compiled?) about a hacker who got summoned into a fantasy world. In that world, magic was basically wild and nigh uncontrollable, and wizardry was basically 'here is what we know works, don't deviate from it or you might kill yourself'. The hacker manages to figure out a structured system of magic with a combination of research and hilariously dangerous trial and error. This lets him 'develop' spells quickly and safely on the fly, and he eventually owns the villains with his 'new magic'.

It is embarrassingly schlocky, punny to an almost criminal degree, and packed with 80's compsci inside jokes. It is also way less insufferable and way more entertaining than HPMOR.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Much better at what HPMOR is trying to do (find the rules of the universe, break them).

I'm excited to be following this thread, I stopped reading after the troll, so I wanna see what happens.

So i've been reading this, this weekend. Second to endorse this. If you have any knowledge of Dnd, especially 3rd editon this is a genuinally fun read.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 6: The Planning Fallacy
Part Eight

quote:

"Please do."

"Children aren't meant to be too much smarter than their parents," Harry said. "Or too much saner, maybe - my father could probably outsmart me if he was, you know, actually trying, instead of using his adult intelligence mainly to come up with new reasons not to change his mind -" Harry stopped. "I'm too smart, Professor. I've got nothing to say to normal children. Adults don't respect me enough to really talk to me. And frankly, even if they did, they wouldn't sound as smart as Richard Feynman, so I might as well read something Richard Feynman wrote instead. I'm isolated, Professor McGonagall. I've been isolated my whole life. Maybe that has some of the same effects as being locked in a cellar. And I'm too intelligent to look up to my parents the way that children are designed to do. My parents love me, but they don't feel obliged to respond to reason, and sometimes I feel like they're the children - children who won't listen and have absolute authority over my whole existence. I try not to be too bitter about it, but I also try to be honest with myself, so, yes, I'm bitter. And I also have an anger management problem, but I'm working on it. That's all."

It’s a myth that smart people are unpopular because they are “too smart”. The reason why Eliezer was Harry is an unpopular child is because he’s utterly insufferable and has serious deficiency in empathy and social graces, as has been amply shown in the past few chapters.

quote:

"That's all? "

Harry nodded firmly. "That's all. Surely, Professor McGonagall, even in magical Britain, the normal explanation is always worth considering? "

It was later in the day, the sun lowering in the summer sky and shoppers beginning to peter out from the streets. Some shops had already closed; Harry and Professor McGonagall had bought his textbooks from Flourish and Blotts just under the deadline. With only a slight explosion when Harry had made a beeline for the keyword "Arithmancy" and discovered that the seventh-year textbooks invoked nothing more mathematically advanced than trigonometry.

At this moment, though, dreams of low-hanging research fruit were far from Harry's mind.

At this moment, the two of them were walking out of Ollivander's, and Harry was staring at his wand. He'd waved it, and produced multicoloured sparks, which really shouldn't have come as such an extra shock after everything else he'd seen, but somehow -

I can do magic.

Me. As in, me personally. I am magical; I am a wizard.

He had felt the magic pouring up his arm, and in that instant, realised that he had always had that sense, that he had possessed it his whole life, the sense that was not sight or sound or smell or taste or touch but only magic. Like having eyes but keeping them always closed, so that you didn't even realise that you were seeing darkness; and then one day the eye opened, and saw the world. The shock of it had poured through him, touching pieces of himself, awakening them, and then died away in seconds; leaving only the certain knowledge that he was now a wizard, and always had been, and had even, in some strange way, always known it.

And -

"It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother why, its brother gave you that scar."

That could not possibly be coincidence. There had been thousands of wands in that shop. Well, okay, actually it could be coincidence, there were six billion people in the world and thousand-to-one coincidences happened every day. But Bayes's Theorem said that any reasonable hypothesis which made it more likely than a thousand-to-one that he'd end up with the brother to the Dark Lord's wand, was going to have an advantage.

In the absence of any other known constants, does Bayes’s Theorem actually lead to such a conclusion? Wouldn’t this be a "conjunction fallacy” and therefore “irrational”?

quote:

Professor McGonagall had simply said how peculiar and left it at that, which had put Harry into a state of shock at the sheer, overwhelming uncuriosity of wizards and witches. In no imaginable world would Harry have just went "Hm" and walked out of the shop without even trying to come up with a hypothesis for what was going on.

Given that Harry only has one example of such an event, isn’t Harry’s placing of so much importance on this incident and his obsession with seeking a cause for the incident itself a fallacy (though I can’t recall the name of the fallacy) and therefore “irrational”? Wouldn’t it be more rational to chalk it up as a data point and move on with the rest of your day, exactly as McGonagall has done?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Part Eight? Man, you are just dragging out that big Chapter Seven reveal, aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Part Eight? Man, you are just dragging out that big Chapter Seven reveal, aren't you?

Chapter Six is really long (10,000+ words) and I only have that much free time each day.