Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm also the guy who likes HPMOR- I guess I started liking it because I'm onboard with Harry's anti-death agenda. And while Yudkowsky isn't perfect, he certainly convinced a number of clever people that AI risk was a topic to take seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hostile takeovers and repo jobs, mostly.

But with more dragons and fire, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Earwicker posted:

what is a "banking adventure"?

Try asking HSBC.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Of course Big Yud makes his own mistake by not realizing that the second time you brought a giant pile of metal to the bank to ruin their business, they would smile, let you in, and feed you to one of the many dragons they have. You've been out-pedantic-ed, smart guy! :v:

Better solution: tell them they have a serious security problem that's apparent to a muggle and ask for a finder's fee to tell them about it. Maybe leverage it into a consultant job if you're feeling confident. Money for nothing and NOT pissing off bankers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Earwicker posted:

what is a "banking adventure"?
It's fun to charter an accountant, and sail the wide accountancy.
To find, explore, the funds off shore, and skirt the shoals of bankruptcy...

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

cultureulterior posted:

while Yudkowsky isn't perfect, he certainly convinced a number of clever people that AI risk was a topic to take seriously.

He's been working for a decade and got a "some people believe" skeptically worded paragraph in one AI textbook.

To be fair, it is a very good textbook, and it does mention him by name.

E: Honestly I agree with (a toned down version of) a lot of the non AI stuff Yudkowsky says. I don't like death either and I think there are at least a few problems that Bayesian inference solves elegantly. And I think people should know about where human intuition breaks down. But he's over the top on half that stuff, and straight up out to lunch on AI existential risk.

SolTerrasa fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 25, 2015

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:smuggo: Let me tell you about the inherent flaws in your banking system based on the ones discovered in the system I'm used to, and how 'loving magic' isn't a valid excuse.

:orks: gently caress it, team death eater, eat the rich, hang him from the lamppost.

(Iirc, Rowling was Oxbridge educated, which kinda explains the flaws in her banking system :v:)

e: This line-by-line reading is making me pay attention to a lot of the things that I guess I'd just tuned out on my first reading. I remembered him being smug-as-gently caress, but read it more as a 'this is what it'd be like if everyone acted smarter', rather than pure smashmouth.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't really mind the "woah there is serious money to be made loving with the Exchange rate" because it's not like "wizard society is dumb and hasn't changed in pretty much centuries" isn't something that pops up all the time in the books.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
International finance is actually how muggles use magic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

I don't really mind the "woah there is serious money to be made loving with the Exchange rate" because it's not like "wizard society is dumb and hasn't changed in pretty much centuries" isn't something that pops up all the time in the books.

It kinda implies every muggleborn in the world is an idiot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pvt.Scott posted:

International finance is actually how muggles use magic.

And on that note, shame on Harry for not buying CDS from all the major wizarding businesses and institutions before crashing the wizarding economy.

Seriously international finance is loving crazy.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
REVIEWS OF CHAPTER 4

quote:

hhrforeverhhr chapter 4 . Mar 3, 2010
o.. i love this chapter, even though its short, its still funny. i didn't think i could love this story anymore, and here you go proving me wrong.. update soon and i'll love it even more.

quote:

Star Bear chapter 4 . Mar 3, 2010
Very clever! I love the use of logic and science. I hope you are planning some serious pureblood lecturing.

quote:

cheekylildevil chapter 4 . Mar 3, 2010
You know, that really makes sense... I wouldn't have said that galleons were pure gold though, but that they were part gold, part alloy, it would have made more sense. I'm from Australia and we have 'gold' one and two dollar coins but I think that they are really nickel. Wouldn't it make sense then to just melt all the coins, sell them to muggles and then trade them back to galleons? You could keep doing that for an infinite amount of time, couldn't you?

Thanks for another wonderful chapter,

Indi

quote:

Mariann's chapter 4 . Mar 3, 2010
Fun chapter :-)

I like how this overly logical and rational Harry works. Can't wait to see him clashing with Hermione's logic and rationalism, LOL! Gotta be fun, too.

quote:

OfTheGreenwood chapter 4 . Mar 4, 2010
Oh my god. LOVE this story. Could not stop grinning-can't WAIT for Harry to get his paws on Snape, Dumbledore, or anyone who calls him a nerd! ; )

quote:

Bob-san chapter 4 . Mar 4, 2010
HILARIOUS! I love your depiction of the mini super-genius! I'm looking forward to an update soon!

quote:

TBrad chapter 4 . Mar 4, 2010
Loving this story. Just hope you don't mature Harry too much. Tired of these stories where Harry acts like a 40 year old man.

quote:

Marla1 chapter 4 . Mar 4, 2010
I LOVE YOUR TAKE ON THIS STORY... this not one i have seen! I am an engineer so i truely appericate seeing this from a rational side, its so amsuing to me hehe. KEEP WRITING I CANNOT WAIT TO READ MORE OF THIS STORY!

quote:

reader1writer1 chapter 4 . Mar 5, 2010
This is brilliant...in case you had any doubt. I love it. :)

quote:

Shadow Kitsune11 chapter 4 . Mar 5, 2010
I just found this story for the first time and I have to say that it is funny. Keep coming with the updates.

quote:

Ceralyn chapter 4 . Mar 6, 2010
I can't even imagin where you got the idea for this fic - but it's just great.

It will be interesting to see Harry and Hermione meet. Look forward to reading more

quote:

bloocheeze chapter 4 . Mar 8, 2010
ohmygosh, this is amazing. I love logical!Harry; he makes everything funnier. Although, his knowledge may be a bit much for a 10/11 year old, don't you think? :\ Well, I guess that depends on his environment and the way he was brought up... Hm. Oh well. It's entertaining, so who am I to complain?

This is a pretty original take on the HP world and I'm happy I stumbled upon it. :) I think the only other fic similar to this was that one HP/Marvel cross over... But I digress.

Your story telling skills are great and your sense of humor is similar to mine, so yay! :D Ahaha, and I'm actually learning something useful as I read this, so that's a plus too. I don't have too much to say (or rather I'm too lazy right now to write a full out review/critique, ahaha ._.; ) so I'll just end with this: You're a great writer and I hope to see you update soon!

'Cause I really wanna see Harry at Hogwarts, kukukuku BD

quote:

Unclouded chapter 4 . Mar 9, 2010
Oh this story looks very good indeed. I was recommended this as a smart!Harry fic and I always tend to enjoy them. Especially enjoy the wit and intelligence of this Harry. Thanks for the fic and I look forward to your future chapters.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Why are you cuntpasting positive reviews? I'd much rather read your comments on the next chapter and everyone's cruel chiming.

Any bets on how many pages until yudeouesggghsky regs an account solely to deliver scathing posts itt?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

froward posted:

Any bets on how many pages until yudeouesggghsky regs an account solely to deliver scathing posts itt?

If he never regged for the thread mocking Less Wrong or people posting his online dating profile, I doubt this is going to push him over the edge.

Which, by the way, is a real shame.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
JosephWongKS seems to enjoy finding the most glowing of reviews for the worst things. It adds to the experience to hear from people who not only think this is not a horrible train wreck, but legitimately think that it is good and worthy of praise.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:shrek:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

JosephWongKS seems to enjoy finding the most glowing of reviews for the worst things. It adds to the experience to hear from people who not only think this is not a horrible train wreck, but legitimately think that it is good and worthy of praise.

Does it really if there are hundreds and hundreds of these people and none of them sound particularly crazy, or at least not in a way that is humorous?

I would say drop the review copy-paste because it just detracts or adds nothing to your position, unless you make sure to cherry-pick the most insane people (have fun digging through literally hundreds of reviews).

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Does it really if there are hundreds and hundreds of these people and none of them sound particularly crazy, or at least not in a way that is humorous?

quote:

bloocheeze chapter 4 . Mar 8, 2010
ohmygosh, this is amazing. I love logical!Harry; he makes everything funnier. Although, his knowledge may be a bit much for a 10/11 year old, don't you think? :\ Well, I guess that depends on his environment and the way he was brought up... Hm. Oh well. It's entertaining, so who am I to complain?

This is a pretty original take on the HP world and I'm happy I stumbled upon it. I think the only other fic similar to this was that one HP/Marvel cross over... But I digress.

Your story telling skills are great and your sense of humor is similar to mine, so yay! Ahaha, and I'm actually learning something useful as I read this, so that's a plus too. I don't have too much to say (or rather I'm too lazy right now to write a full out review/critique, ahaha ._.; ) so I'll just end with this: You're a great writer and I hope to see you update soon!

'Cause I really wanna see Harry at Hogwarts, kukukuku BD

I'd be alright with a reduction in them but poo poo like this is why I look forward to reviews of chapters almost as much as posts of others' comments.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

(have fun digging through literally hundreds of reviews).

Hundreds... heh heh heh...

HPMoR posted:

Words: 619,173 - Reviews: 26,119 - Favs: 15,300 - Follows: 14,119

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I would say drop the review copy-paste because it just detracts or adds nothing to your position, unless you make sure to cherry-pick the most insane people (have fun digging through literally hundreds of reviews).

Point taken. I'll paste only the most exuberant reviews henceforth.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 5: The Fundamental Attribution Error
Part One

quote:

J. K. Rowling is staring at you. Can you feel her eyes on you? She's reading your mind using her Rowling Rays.

"It would've required a supernatural intervention for him to have your morality given his environment."

The Moke Shop was a quaint little shop (some might even say cute) ensconced behind a vegetable stall that was behind a magical glove shop that was on an alleyway off a side street of Diagon Alley. Disappointingly, the shopkeeper was not a wizened ancient crone; just a nervous-looking young woman wearing faded yellow robes. Right now she was holding out a Moke Super Pouch QX31, whose selling point was that it had a Widening Lip as well as an Undetectable Extension Charm: you could actually fit big things in it, though the total volume was still limited.

Harry had insisted on coming here straight away, first thing - insisted as hard as he thought he could without making Professor McGonagall suspicious. Harry had something he needed to put into the pouch as soon as possible. It wasn't the bag of Galleons that Professor McGonagall had allowed him to withdraw from Gringotts. It was all the other Galleons that Harry had surreptitiously shoved into his pocket after falling into a heap of gold coins. That had been a real accident, but Harry was never one to discard an opportunity... though it'd really been more of a spur-of-the-moment thing. Ever since Harry had been awkwardly carrying the allowed bag of Galleons next to his trouser pocket, so that any jingling would seem to come from the right place.

Harry should be deeply concerned about the state of Gringott’s defences, if it was so easy to remove money from the bank’s premises without detection. Isn’t it “irrational” for him to be shopping right now, instead of meeting with the goblin management to alert them to the security loophole? It’s also “irrational” for Harry to give up this opportunity to demand substantial compensation from the bank in exchange for not leaking this story and thereby damaging the bank’s reputation and image.

quote:

This still left the question of how he was actually going to get the other coins into the pouch without getting caught. The golden coins might have been his, but they were still stolen - self-stolen? Auto-thieved?

Harry looked up from the Moke Super Pouch QX31 on the counter in front of him. "Can I try this for a bit? To make sure it works, um, reliably?" He widened his eyes in an expression of boyish, playful innocence.

Sure enough, after ten repetitions of putting the coin-bag into the pouch, reaching in, whispering "bag of gold", and taking it out, Professor McGonagall took a step away and began examining some of the other items in the shop, and the shopkeeper turned her head to watch.

Harry dropped the bag of gold into the mokeskin pouch with his left hand; his right hand came out of his pocket tightly holding some of the gold coins, reached into the mokeskin pouch, dropped the loose Galleons, and (with a whisper of "bag of gold") retrieved the original bag. Then the bag went back into his left hand, to be dropped in again, and Harry's right hand went back into his pocket..
Professor McGonagall looked back at him once, but Harry managed to avoid freezing or flinching, and she didn't seem to notice anything. Though you never did quite know, with the adults that had a sense of humour. It took three iterations to get the job done, and Harry guessed he'd managed to steal maybe thirty Galleons from himself.

Alright, this sequence was actually reasonably funny. Credit where it's due.

quote:

Harry reached up, wiped a bit of sweat from his forehead, and exhaled. "I'd like this one, please."

Fifteen Galleons lighter (twice the price of a wizard's wand, apparently) and one Moke Super Pouch QX31 heavier, Harry and Professor McGonagall pushed their way out of the door. The door formed a hand and waved goodbye to them as they left, extruding its arm in a way that made Harry feel a bit queasy.

And then, unfortunately...

"Are you really Harry Potter?" whispered the old man, one huge tear sliding down his cheek. "You wouldn't lie about that, would you? Only I'd heard rumours that you didn't really survive the Killing Curse and that's why no one ever heard from you again."

...it seemed that Professor McGonagall's disguise spell was less than perfectly effective against more experienced magical practitioners.

Professor McGonagall had laid a hand on Harry's shoulder and yanked him into the nearest alleyway the moment she'd heard "Harry Potter?" The old man had followed, but at least it looked like no one else had heard.

Harry considered the question. Was he really Harry Potter?

"I only know what other people have told me," Harry said. "It's not like I remember being born." His hand brushed his forehead. "I've had this scar as long as I remember, and I've been told my name was Harry Potter as long as I remember. But," Harry said thoughtfully, "if there's already sufficient cause to postulate a conspiracy, there's no reason why they wouldn't just find another orphan and raise him to believe that he was Harry Potter -"

Ten years old.

quote:

Professor McGonagall drew her hand over her face in exasperation. "You look just about exactly like your father, James, the year he first attended Hogwarts. And I can attest on the basis of personality alone that you are related to the Scourge of Gryffindor."

"She could be in on it too," Harry observed.

"No," quavered the old man. "She's right. You have your mother's eyes."

"Hmm," Harry frowned. "I suppose you could be in on it too -"

"Enough, Mr. Potter."

The old man raised up a hand as if to touch Harry, but then let it fall. "I'm just glad that you're alive," he murmured. "Thank you, Harry Potter. Thank you for what you did... I'll leave you alone now."

And his cane slowly tapped away, out the alley and down the main street of Diagon Alley.

The Professor looked around, her expression tense and grim. Harry automatically looked around himself. But the alley seemed empty of all but old leaves, and from the mouth leading out into Diagon Alley, only swiftly striding passersby could be seen.

Finally Professor McGonagall seemed to relax. "That was not well done," she said in a low voice. "I know you're not used to this, Mr. Potter, but people do care about you. Please be kind to them."

Harry looked down at his shoes. "They shouldn't," he said with a tinge of bitterness. "Care about me, I mean."

"You saved them from You-Know-Who," said Professor McGonagall. "How should they not care?"
Harry looked up at the witch-lady's strict expression beneath her pointed hat, and sighed. "I suppose there's no chance that if I said fundamental attribution error you'd have any idea what that meant."

"No," said the Professor in her precise Scottish accent, "but please explain, Mr. Potter, if you would be so kind."

"Well..." Harry said, trying to figure out how to describe that particular bit of Muggle science. "Suppose you come into work and see your colleague kicking his desk. You think, 'what an angry person he must be'. Your colleague is thinking about how someone bumped him into a wall on the way to work and then shouted at him. Anyone would be angry at that, he thinks. When we look at others we see personality traits that explain their behaviour, but when we look at ourselves we see circumstances that explain our behaviour. People's stories make internal sense to them, from the inside, but we don't see people's histories trailing behind them in the air. We only see them in one situation, and we don't see what they would be like in a different situation. So the fundamental attribution error is that we explain by permanent, enduring traits what would be better explained by circumstance and context." There were some elegant experiments which confirmed this, but Harry wasn't about to go into them.

Ten. Years. Old.

quote:

The witch's eyebrows drew up beneath her hat's brim. "I think I understand..." Professor McGonagall said slowly. "But what does that have to do with you?"

Harry kicked the brick wall of the alley hard enough to make his foot hurt. "People think that I saved them from You-Know-Who because I'm some kind of great warrior of the Light."

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord..." murmured the witch, a strange irony leavening her voice.

"Yes," Harry said, annoyance and frustration warring in him, "like I destroyed the Dark Lord because I have some kind of permanent, enduring destroy-the-Dark-Lord trait. I was fifteen months old at the time! I don't know what happened, but I would suppose it had something to do with, as the saying goes, contingent environmental circumstances. And certainly nothing to do with my personality. People don't care about me, they aren't even paying attention to me, they want to shake hands with a bad explanation." Harry paused, and looked at McGonagall. "Do you know what really happened?"

"I have formed an idea..." said Professor McGonagall. "After meeting you, that is."

"Yes?"

"You triumphed over the Dark Lord by being more awful than he was, and survived the Killing Curse by being more terrible than Death."

I’d accept this explanation.

quote:

"Ha. Ha. Ha." Harry kicked the wall again.

Professor McGonagall chuckled. "Let's get you to Madam Malkin's next. I fear your Muggle clothing may be attracting attention."

TO BE CONTINUED

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the "Let's Read: Twisted" thread, it was occasionally said that Twisted would be much improved (not "good", mind you - just substantially less bad) if Railrunner were an ordinary werewolf instead of a were-roller coaster. All the parts concerning Railrunner's claws and affinity to the moon and feral bloodlust would seem far less stupid in the context of a werewolf, for starters.

Similarly, I think that HPMOR would be much improved if Harry Potter was aged up by 5 to 10 years - a great part of my annoyance with the story so far comes from the fact that the :words: sound so unbearably jarring coming from a 10-year old. What do you guys think?

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
i think it's literally written into the story that he's a 35 year old in a 10 year old's body

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It'd still be a story featuring an insufferable, egotistical prick as the hero.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

JosephWongKS posted:

On the "Let's Read: Twisted" thread, it was occasionally said that Twisted would be much improved (not "good", mind you - just substantially less bad) if Railrunner were an ordinary werewolf instead of a were-roller coaster. All the parts concerning Railrunner's claws and affinity to the moon and feral bloodlust would seem far less stupid in the context of a werewolf, for starters.

Similarly, I think that HPMOR would be much improved if Harry Potter was aged up by 5 to 10 years - a great part of my annoyance with the story so far comes from the fact that the :words: sound so unbearably jarring coming from a 10-year old. What do you guys think?

Ok, I'm going to say this again - for plot reasons, he's not 10 years old. This is arguably the central story - what the heck is going on with this weird kid? This probably shouldn't bug me, but it does. You've correctly identified an element of a mystery, but you're essentially mocking your own ignorance by claiming it's poor writing. Ironically, you're committing the very fallacy highlighted here.

... Again, this story isn't GREAT, but let's mock the author for being an idiot where it's actually true.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If your foreshadowing just comes off as you being a lovely writer, you're probably a lovely writer, hth.

And that's assuming that Yud had actually planned that twist from the start. It's really obvious from how the first few chapters are written that HP:MoR started as just some side project that Yud only started to take it seriously after it received so much attention.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 26, 2015

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Added Space posted:

Ok, I'm going to say this again - for plot reasons, he's not 10 years old. This is arguably the central story - what the heck is going on with this weird kid? This probably shouldn't bug me, but it does. You've correctly identified an element of a mystery, but you're essentially mocking your own ignorance by claiming it's poor writing. Ironically, you're committing the very fallacy highlighted here.

... Again, this story isn't GREAT, but let's mock the author for being an idiot where it's actually true.

Considering that it's buried in multiple books and many years of lovely fanfic, I think you should probably be less forgiving of the author's :stoke:. The dialogue is insufferable and the "mystery" isn't interesting and doesn't draw you in. I read part of this train-wreck and just gave up because no one acted like a kid, and I find the whole thing is cheapened by the author's way out of his bad writing and lovely characterization. I don't care about this insufferable, arrogant, shithead of a protagonist or his molasses in January mystery plot. He could have built this "central story" gradually; instead he dumps the "mystery" in from the word go and then neglects to move it forward for like 30+ chapters. Either his characters or his plot are fatally flawed, it's just down to what flavor of paste big Yud eats.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

akulanization posted:

Considering that it's buried in multiple books and many years of lovely fanfic, I think you should probably be less forgiving of the author's :stoke:. The dialogue is insufferable and the "mystery" isn't interesting and doesn't draw you in. I read part of this train-wreck and just gave up because no one acted like a kid, and I find the whole thing is cheapened by the author's way out of his bad writing and lovely characterization. I don't care about this insufferable, arrogant, shithead of a protagonist or his molasses in January mystery plot. He could have built this "central story" gradually; instead he dumps the "mystery" in from the word go and then neglects to move it forward for like 30+ chapters. Either his characters or his plot are fatally flawed, it's just down to what flavor of paste big Yud eats.

Yeah, fair enough, the pacing is poo poo and the lead character is insufferable (oh, we haven't even SEEN the full joy of that yet). I guess it hit a personal nerve for me since I was that kid who would quote a famous scientist at age ten and got bullied for it. :sigh: Thankfully I never quite fell into the trap of worshiping my own decidedly marginal genius.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
I thought the Harry Potter world gold coins were hubcap sized or something. Maybe Krugerrands at the smallest? Making them ludicrously heavy, but also screwing with the Fermi estimation. Gold is HEAVY, a Krugerrand is 33g. Off by a factor of 6 from 5g, so still almost close enough for Fermi estimation I guess. Still 20 Krugerrands is a good pound and a half of gold, a good bit more than a tenth of a kilo. I guess Krugerrands are the only real gold coins much minted now, but even old gold guineas or sovereigns were closer to 10g than 5g. Regardless, a purse of a thousand gallons for the triwizard tournament prize will weigh quite a bit.

Moreover what sort of Brit uses kilos for weights? The fight against metrication was still alive and well in '97. Bloody quitters.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Part of the point is that he's going to bring the magic world come crashing down to its knees in one year. It would not be nearly as funny or impressive if he had spent five years doing nothing.

And much more importantly, what Added Space said.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I remember reading about a dozen chapters of this a couple years ago... maybe. I enjoyed it a bit and thought is was funny, but it really started feeling like the author was just wanking over him being so much smarter than all of these stupid wizards, blah, blah, blah.

This is a great let's read though. Keep it up.

Also, can't British people weigh things in stone? That sounds like a great way to continually confuse everybody. Just use as many different measuring systems as possible and show that the main character has no trouble switching between them.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Yeah, some young kids talk like they are 40 with a lifetime of experience behind them. I wasn't one, but my wife was having serious conversations by the age of 2. Her parents and other adults were super creeped out by it. I was a tutor a few years ago for an extremely curious 8 year old that really didn't do much but read tons of stuff all the time (he didn't care for math, so that's where I was helping him), and I could see him in a few years talking in a similar way to Harry. Not quite that bad, but comparable.

The author is definitely having a wank, but it isn't that awful. Suspend your disbelief a bit and its much more enjoyable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

pwnyXpress posted:

The author is definitely having a wank, but it isn't that awful. Suspend your disbelief a bit and its much more enjoyable.

Ironically, this entire series comes of the author being incapable of doing that himself.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

That is indeed a rather terrible condition to suffer. Is this an actual thing that exists in the real world?

It is actually. Though it normally only happens to people that are completely blind. So, still doesn't make sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stroth posted:

It is actually. Though it normally only happens to people that are completely blind. So, still doesn't make sense.
Perhaps it's meant to illustrate that Harry is blinded by maintaining a rationalism so uptight that it can't entertain or work with the truths of magic, leaving him sniggering over the exchange rate of mere gold when he's standing next to a woman who can turn into a cat whenever she wants.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Stroth posted:

The author claims to suffer from it (at least until his buddies in a "we'll look through really early stage medical research because you don't trust the mainstream opinion on your condition" service he was hawking figured out he should just take sleeping pills a couple hours earlier than the last time he'd tried taking sleeping pills.)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

JosephWongKS posted:

a great part of my annoyance with the story so far comes from the fact that the :words: sound so unbearably jarring coming from a 10-year old. What do you guys think?
Maybe pretend he is Dexter from Dexter Laboratory?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

reignonyourparade posted:

The author claims to suffer from it (at least until his buddies in a "we'll look through really early stage medical research because you don't trust the mainstream opinion on your condition" service he was hawking figured out he should just take sleeping pills a couple hours earlier than the last time he'd tried taking sleeping pills.)
Oh man, I remember that service. Did they ever make a single dime?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

pwnyXpress posted:

It's really easy to do this when you've got no idea who Less Wrong is, and then it's just "hey, it's to serve the purpose of poking a bit of fun at the bits of Harry Potter we usually just gloss over for the sake of the story, of course he needs to be a ridiculous smart-alec, I can roll with this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

It's really easy to do this when you've got no idea who Less Wrong is, and then it's just "hey, it's to serve the purpose of poking a bit of fun at the bits of Harry Potter we usually just gloss over for the sake of the story, of course he needs to be a ridiculous smart-alec, I can roll with this".

Yes, I think part of the problem with HPMOR that is just completely inherent to the work and no changing of the details is going to fix it is that Harry is an intentionally obnoxious protagonist, written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, whose natural mode of writing is the definition of "intellectual pretension" anyway.