Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Apparently... this?

An honorary... associate of the arts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
lol an honorary associates degree. guess a bachelor's from Pierce is too prestigious to just hand out.

no offense

nominate me plz

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
it... it would be an honour

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
lol this place looks ghetto. i thought goons were smart? :confused:

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
pierce coiieee

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

nice topiary, fag

open container
Sep 16, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

it is pretty smart to get an associates at some cheap poo poo school then get a bachelors from somewhere good

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
look at that hick college for rednecks lmao

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

open container posted:

it is pretty smart to get an associates at some cheap poo poo school then get a bachelors from somewhere good

or, you know, just get a full merit-based scholarship at a normal 4 year school (if saving money is your endgame)

open container
Sep 16, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

or, you know, just get a full merit-based scholarship at a normal 4 year school (if saving money is your endgame)

ok

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

if saving money is your endgame, don't go to college

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol way to go to a scrub tier community college, at least go to SMC or something dude

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I won a Doctorate degree from a ticket raffle. Now I perform surgery on people's brains.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Farts degree LMAO

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I thought Brahmas were supposed to have two heads.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

~My~ children matriculated from only the finest technical schools and online competency courses

that font is unfortunate. PIORCO COIIOGO

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

moose face posted:

if saving money is your endgame, don't go to college

this

If you don't know what you want to be or if the job you want doesn't ABSOLUTELY require the degree, don't invest more money in an industry that's a oval office hair from its bubble bursting. Medical and Student Loans never go away. They will garnish wages and remain even after filing for bankruptcy. You're literally better off buying a loving house at 18. Seriously, you could max out every credit card and live it up for 4 years, traveling and dining on credit (gaining some serious life experience while you're at it!) and file for bankruptcy and at-worst, get some poo poo taken back. That would be more financially responsible at this point than getting a college loan unless you're deadset on being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc--a job where without the degree you will absolutely not get hired, despite knowledge. Hell even engineering. If you can learn it on your own, don't pay some assholes $100k to give you a certificate. Unless you're delusional into thinking Google's coming for you, you're not going to be better off.

I went to Northeastern and have a business degree from 2004. While I feel it helped me in entrepreneurial ways, I didn't necessarily need to spend nearly over $150k for the degree. What I should have done was taken the scholarship I had to UNH and gotten a business degree from there. I'm just lucky my parents paid for my tuition or I'd probably just be paying off student loans now. I still to this day regret not taking that scholarship. At best, I would have made money by going to UNH and at worst, the whole drat thing would have probably cost us $3-5k. At the time I was still brainwashed (my parents too) into thinking the college you went to mattered. Hint: it doesn't unless you're going to a top tier college in an industry that does aggressive recruiting like finance, law, etc. And even then it never matters after your first job unless you went to the holy grail of your industry (i.e. a surgeon from John Hopkins or a lawyer from Harvard)

Don't go to college. If you have to ask, don't go. If you aren't sure yet what you want to do, don't go, or at best go later. We need to bring back apprenticeships. Go to trade school or learn from someone who will pay you to be his gopher/assistant. I really hope the mentor/apprentice thing makes a real comeback. They still do them in Europe. My ex got an apprenticeship and eventually worked for Microsoft (MSN at the time).

When my dad went to college (UMass Lowell) he was an immigrant working minimum wage jobs and paying his tuition on time every semester. He graduated with multiple Masters degrees. You couldn't do that today. The whole system is hosed. The 90s hosed it all up because the economy was great and a bunch of literal retards were duped into thinking they should go to college. Now it's become "the thing you do."

tl;dr don't go to college.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah pretty much.

I made the wrong choice on a school, dropped out after a semester. Couldn't get any more loans so I worked McJobs for the next 15 years while I worked on my career. I finally got to a decent place but it's taken well over a decade and I can't credit any of it to college.

I now have Sallie Mae coming after me, calling my workplace, calling my in-laws, and harassing me every way they can. They claim I owe 30k.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

i nominate hitler

he did some bad stuff, sure, but i feel he never got the recognition he deserved as an artist

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Go to college, the people that are telling you not to are screwing with your life. College is how society separates the quality people from the poors with no safety net.

If you get a college degree that means that your parents have their poo poo together, or at least you have your poo poo together enough that your parents don't matter.

You know how many decent jobs require you to have any four-year degree? A lot. These aren't jobs that require you to know how to do something specific, or even be relatively intelligent or hard-working. They just want to know that you aren't trash. You prove this by "earning" (i.e. showing up to 80% of classes) a degree in whatever.

Alternately you could go to trade school or get an apprenticeship and learn how to do something useful, and maybe work for yourself or start a business someday. But if you aren't going to do that just get a degree in anything so you can have one of those decent-paying do-nothing jobs.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

revmoo posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I made the wrong choice on a school, dropped out after a semester. Couldn't get any more loans so I worked McJobs for the next 15 years while I worked on my career. I finally got to a decent place but it's taken well over a decade and I can't credit any of it to college.

I now have Sallie Mae coming after me, calling my workplace, calling my in-laws, and harassing me every way they can. They claim I owe 30k.

Why the confusion over what's owed?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

City of Tampa posted:

Go to college, the people that are telling you not to are screwing with your life. College is how society separates the quality people from the poors with no safety net.

If you get a college degree that means that your parents have their poo poo together, or at least you have your poo poo together enough that your parents don't matter.

You know how many decent jobs require you to have any four-year degree? A lot. These aren't jobs that require you to know how to do something specific, or even be relatively intelligent or hard-working. They just want to know that you aren't trash. You prove this by "earning" (i.e. showing up to 80% of classes) a degree in whatever.

Alternately you could go to trade school or get an apprenticeship and learn how to do something useful, and maybe work for yourself or start a business someday. But if you aren't going to do that just get a degree in anything so you can have one of those decent-paying do-nothing jobs.

Sure, but don't pay a loving dime more than $5k a year for this. If you can't pay your school off while you go with a part time job, you're paying too much.

Unless you're going to get recruited by a big 4 firm because you're at a top tier school you're wasting money.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Shadow posted:

Why the confusion over what's owed?

I didn't say I was confused

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Shadow posted:

Sure, but don't pay a loving dime more than $5k a year for this. If you can't pay your school off while you go with a part time job, you're paying too much.

Unless you're going to get recruited by a big 4 firm because you're at a top tier school you're wasting money.

I wouldn't even worry about going $20k or so into debt, just don't be one of those idiots that ends up owing $80k on some useless degree.

The difference between one of those "any four-year degree" jobs and the kinds of jobs you get with no skills and no college degree can easily be $15-20k in just one year.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

City of Tampa posted:

I wouldn't even worry about going $20k or so into debt, just don't be one of those idiots that ends up owing $80k on some useless degree.

The difference between one of those "any four-year degree" jobs and the kinds of jobs you get with no skills and no college degree can easily be $15-20k in just one year.

Sure, but even 20k seems a bit high. Chances are you have a state school that will cost $5k a year and at that point why get a loan? You can pay $5k a year in tuition with even a mcjob. Or at least enough to not need too much of a loan. College loan interest rates are criminal.

revmoo posted:

I didn't say I was confused
You said they claim you owe $30k. The confusion I was referring to was between you and Sallie May.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
op are you bummed that community college isn't the wacky fun character building experience that the show 'community' made it out to be?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
also go to the best college you can get into and don't worry about money or jobs.

jesus christ learning poo poo makes you a better person you autistic fucks

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nefarious posted:

also go to the best college you can get into and don't worry about money or jobs.

i may be on this corner begging for change, but my arts degree makes me wealthy in KNOWLEDGE

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

just go to your states flagship school if you gotta go at all

university of (state) might not be your dartmouths or w&ms but nobody laughs at a degree from a school with 40k students

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Nefarious posted:

I learned more researching history to mod a loving video game than I did in any history class I ever took.

Thanks Paradox for making me in a history junkie. gently caress you college for making me into a debt slave.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
college is a great place to bang women, and to ignore anything you hear from the losers that run the classes. If they knew anything they wouldn't be teaching

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I learned more researching history to mod a loving video game than I did in any history class I ever took.

holy poo poo this is the gooniest goddamn thing I've ever read

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nefarious posted:

holy poo poo this is the gooniest goddamn thing I've ever read

You've been regged since before the towers fell. This can't be the gooniest thing you've read.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Nefarious posted:

No one is saying learning is bad, but getting into horrific amounts of debt for life doesn't make sense for possibly 90% of college students. College is fine but it's too expensive and unless you're really going to benefit from the degree, go to the most cost-effective school instead.

"don't worry about money or jobs" are you loving insane?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i nominate hitler, of course

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nefarious posted:

I used to let you guys crash on my couch but you never stopped whining about needing to borrow money to support your artistic visions so lol have fun in that snowbank

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shadow posted:

lol an honorary associates degree. guess a bachelor's from Pierce is too prestigious to just hand out.

no offense

nominate me plz
It's a community college, I don't think they have bachelors programs.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i guess if you want to get your it certificate while you poopsock mmo's so that you can get a good job to support your mmo habit, what you guys are saying makes sense

for those of us without aspergers college is a once in a lifetime chance to learn new things, meet new people, bone gorgeous co-eds, discover new passions, realize how dumb you used to be, visit new places, and, lastly develop connections with other successful people who went to a good school that will help you in the job market later

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Shadow posted:

this

If you don't know what you want to be or if the job you want doesn't ABSOLUTELY require the degree, don't invest more money in an industry that's a oval office hair from its bubble bursting. Medical and Student Loans never go away. They will garnish wages and remain even after filing for bankruptcy. You're literally better off buying a loving house at 18. Seriously, you could max out every credit card and live it up for 4 years, traveling and dining on credit (gaining some serious life experience while you're at it!) and file for bankruptcy and at-worst, get some poo poo taken back. That would be more financially responsible at this point than getting a college loan unless you're deadset on being a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc--a job where without the degree you will absolutely not get hired, despite knowledge. Hell even engineering. If you can learn it on your own, don't pay some assholes $100k to give you a certificate. Unless you're delusional into thinking Google's coming for you, you're not going to be better off.

I went to Northeastern and have a business degree from 2004. While I feel it helped me in entrepreneurial ways, I didn't necessarily need to spend nearly over $150k for the degree. What I should have done was taken the scholarship I had to UNH and gotten a business degree from there. I'm just lucky my parents paid for my tuition or I'd probably just be paying off student loans now. I still to this day regret not taking that scholarship. At best, I would have made money by going to UNH and at worst, the whole drat thing would have probably cost us $3-5k. At the time I was still brainwashed (my parents too) into thinking the college you went to mattered. Hint: it doesn't unless you're going to a top tier college in an industry that does aggressive recruiting like finance, law, etc. And even then it never matters after your first job unless you went to the holy grail of your industry (i.e. a surgeon from John Hopkins or a lawyer from Harvard)

Don't go to college. If you have to ask, don't go. If you aren't sure yet what you want to do, don't go, or at best go later. We need to bring back apprenticeships. Go to trade school or learn from someone who will pay you to be his gopher/assistant. I really hope the mentor/apprentice thing makes a real comeback. They still do them in Europe. My ex got an apprenticeship and eventually worked for Microsoft (MSN at the time).

When my dad went to college (UMass Lowell) he was an immigrant working minimum wage jobs and paying his tuition on time every semester. He graduated with multiple Masters degrees. You couldn't do that today. The whole system is hosed. The 90s hosed it all up because the economy was great and a bunch of literal retards were duped into thinking they should go to college. Now it's become "the thing you do."

tl;dr don't go to college.

Look at this ignorant post. The best thing is to do the exact opposite of p much everything in it.

Nefarious posted:

i guess if you want to get your it certificate while you poopsock mmo's so that you can get a good job to support your mmo habit, what you guys are saying makes sense

for those of us without aspergers college is a once in a lifetime chance to learn new things, meet new people, bone gorgeous co-eds, discover new passions, realize how dumb you used to be, visit new places, and, lastly develop connections with other successful people who went to a good school that will help you in the job market later

This on the other hand is a good post. College is about a lot more than the piece of paper at the end. And financially, in most cases it is worth the cost unless you insist on attending some crazy expensive private school and then you get a liberal arts degree (and don't go on to grad school).

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Don't make fun of pierced got my B.A. In go-karting and a minor in spider rings there

• Locked thread