Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

What is Theater of War?

It is a Real-time Strategy game set during the Second World War, mixing simulation and arcade aspects to the gameplay in order to achieve a very accessible game.

What else can you tell me about this game?

Developed by 1C Company and published by Battlefront.com, ToW came out in 2007 for PC and featured seven different campaigns; one such campaign featured the Polish Army, which I always thought was really cool. And I don't mean "You, as the Germans, blaze past Polish lines" but instead you get to play as them. The game boasts over 40 campaign missions, spread out between the 7 campaigns in the original game.

What do you mean "the original game"?

Theater of War received quite a bit of community support, and mapping and modding tools were made available so eventually more maps, units and so on were created by gamers for gamers. 1C Company also had a few updates that included more content. The biggest mod and, as far as I understand, most popular is the JSH mod which adds many new units (Or reworked versions of previous models) along with new camouflage patterns and more.

Where can I get this?

Currently, Steam offers this game. I highly recommend getting it.

How complicated is this game, I don't have to manage everything do I?

Theater of War has a nice blend of automation and player input, our list of commands and hotkeys isn't bloated and everything is relatively straight-forward and easy to comprehend.

The game features detailed ballistics and locational damage on vehicles/units and parameters for accuracy and on and on. Most of it goes unnoticed unless you're really paying attention to it, and the game is limited in how much it can show.

Oh, and the game loves to keep track of all our little mans and personnel. People in this game have individual stats for their Health, Morale, Accuracy, Intelligence, Leadership and Driver, Gunner and Scout skills.

Come to think of it, if you've ever been intrigued by RTS simulation games like the Combat Mission games, this is a great primer to see if you enjoy them. It's also pretty cheap thanks to its age, but still runs very well and looks good to boot!

Can I participate?

Since the game keeps track of every individual soldiers progress, sure! I don't have the ability to rename units, unfortunately, but I'll do my best to keep track of chosen units. I cannot guarantee their survival. When choosing a unit, please call the tank/squad rather than individual soldier (Unless everyone agrees to picking only 1 individual soldier each).

Does the game teach me how to play or do I have to read the manual first?

The game has several training missions to get us acquainted with everything, so why don't we play the first one and see what we're getting into?

Episode 0: Tutorial Mission

The first tutorial mission covers all the basics: Movement, cover, crew positions and more. Later tutorials expand upon the previous lesson and get you familiarised with offensive, defensive, command and control, and line of sight/fire. We'll have plenty of missions to learn without having to go through the tutorials.

Theatre of War
Episode 0: Tutorial Mission

Poland Campaign
Episode 1: Poland 01 - Assault Into Poland
Episode 2: Poland 02 - Rising Tide
Episode 3: Poland 03 - A Desperate Defense

France Campaign
Episode 4: France 01 - Lines of Defense
Episode 5: France 02 - Confrontation
Episode 6: France 03 - Covering Fire
Episode 7: France 04 - Heart of Resistance
Episode 8: France 05 - Under Siege

Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943
British Campaign
UK Mission 01 - Kasserine Pass
UK Mission 02 - On the way to Thala
UK Mission 03 - The Defence of Sidi N'Sir
UK Mission 04 - The Medenine Defensive

German Campaign
GER Mission 01 - Beyond the Faid Pass
GER Mission 02 - The Battle of Sidi Bou Zid
GER Mission 03 - The Battle of Sbeitla
GER Mission 04 - The Kasserine Pass
GER Mission 05 - On The Way To Thala
GER Mission 06 - Tebessa

Italian Campaign
ITA Mission 01 - The road to El Agheila
ITA Mission 02 - At Es Sened Station
ITA Mission 03 - The Outskirts of Maknassy
ITA Mission 03 - German compliant version
ITA Mission 04 - Sirocco above the Kasserine
ITA Mission 05 - The Rocks of El Hamra
ITA Mission 06 - Djebel Berda
ITA Mission 07 - Diversionary Attack
ITA Mission 08 - Hill 141

Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943
Tutorial
Tutorial Mission

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Theater of War came with 7 campaigns, these are as follows:

USSR 1941-1945: The Eastern Front
Germany 1939-1945: Blitzkrieg & Invasion of USSR
Poland 1939: German Invasion
France 1940: Europe in Flames
USA / United Kingdom, 1944-1945: The Second Front
Additional campaigns (there are two additional campaigns in the game: “Battle for Moscow” where you must defend the capital of USSR in 1941 against German decisive assault, and “Battle for Normandy”, where you take command of elite German Panzer Lehr division units in 1944).

The extra campaigns came afterwards as additional content from patches.

Single Missions were also available to the player, but the manual lacks information about them. I believe they are missions that the devs weren't able to fit into their respective campaigns, yet were still interesting enough to merit being a mission. The manual actually refers to these as "Completed Battles" that let you replay previously finished missions, but as far as I know those are contained within the campaign's mission select screen.

Theatre of War also features a "Library/Encyclopedia" which includes all the units (barring soldiers) and most equipment found in the game. Later games went on to include sounds of the guns as they are in-game.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 3, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Assault into Poland description

The inveitability of war became evident even to the most peaceful European politicians after the incorporation of Czechoslovakia as a protectorate of Germany in March 1939. According to a Pact signed between Germany and the USSR shortly thereafter, the so-called "Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact," the Soviet and German governments were obligated not to attack one another. Both governments considered Western countries -- France, the USA, but especially Great Britain -- to be their strategic partners. But this pact, being right0minded on all accounts, also had a downside: a secret protocol, according to which the countries lying between Germany and the USSR were divided into spheres of interest of the two nations. Thus, the occupation was pre-determined. The USSR intended to get Moldavia and the Baltic States, Germany wanted Poland, but leaving its eastern part up to Brest to the Russians. Right after the two giants -- Stalin's Communist USSR and Hitler's Germany -- protected themselves from each other with the Pact, the fate of the Eastern Europe, as well as the start of the Second World War was set.

Marshal Rydz-Smigly, the Commander-in-Chief of the Polish armed forces, and his staff realized that the war was imminent. According to the Rydz-Smigly's plan, six Armies, consisting of 30 Infantry Divisions, 10 Reserve Divisions and 22 Cavalry Brigades, were deployed along the border; the reserves of these armies and the principal reserve were located in the Warsaw region. After mobilization the Polish commander had more than 50,000 officers and 1.7 million soldiers at his disposal.

The Polish campaign began on Setpember 1, 1939 with German air strikes on Polish territory. The considerable forces that Germany amassed out numbered the Polish army. The down side of the Polish defenses was also their insufficient material status, especially in aviation. The offensive was coming from the North -- Eastern Prussia, from the West and South. The Polish defense was incoherent., There were considerable gaps between the defending units. Moreover, the insufficiency of reserve also affected the situation. The dfeence of the southwestern part of Poland was assigned to the "Krakow" Army, which suffered from all the classic drawbacks of the Polish arme forces. Especially slogging combats in this area took place in the front sector, where on September 1st the 10th German Army was attacking with the 16th Motorized Corps. Starting at 8 am the 4th Panzer Division attacked the Volhynia Cavalry Brigade in the Mokra region. The German offensive detachment was aggressively driven back by the Uhlans Regiment. Two hours later the same Cavalry Regiment repelled the second tank attack with shellfire; only 12 tanks remained on the battlefield. Around noon the German units delivered another attack without any reconnaissance. Tanks were moving in compact columns, and came under fire from Polish batteries. The Panzer Division lost 20 light tanks and was forced to retreat.

Mission 1: Assault into Poland

quote:

Briefing:
September 1,1939. German troops are pressing their advance on three fronts. Army Group North is delivering a blow from the Northwestern regions of Germany and East Prussia. From the Southeast of Germany and Northern Slovakia the Army Group South is attacking supported by the Slovak 1st and 2nd Divisions.
Following the orders from the Polish High Command, you need to build up the defenses around the Mokra area and repulse the German advance.

Your orders are to:
-Hold and defend the area specified.
-Prevent the enemy troops from breaking through the defensive lines.

Our first mission as the Polish Army has to do with the opening battles of the German invasion of Poland. The mission files call it Mokra, in reference to the Battle of Mokra. It was one of the first clashes between the two forces and was a nasty surprise for the German forces. Several mistakes on the invader's part lead to the Germans being beat back several times by the tenacious Polish forces. Śmiały, an armoured train (No.53), also took part in the defence and on several occasions helped stop the attackers in their tracks. Despite their valiant efforts, losses elsewhere and German blitzkrieg maneuvers forced the Poles to retreat after the fight was over.

New Equipment - Polish Armed Forces 01

The 75mm Armata Wz.1897 cannon was the main field gun of the French and Polish armies. At the time of its inception, it was an advanced design and was the first to use a piston eccentric screw breech-block. That innovation allowed it to maintain a high rate of fire even by World War 2 standards. It also had an anti-tank cartridge designed specifically for it which could penetrate up to 90mm at a distance of 100 meters. The Germans used captured examples under the designation 7.5cm Pak97/38.

The most common Polish pre-war truck, the PF 621 was an improved version of the FIAT 621. Produced from 1935 to 1939, the Army had around 1,400 in their inventory. They were used as general service trucks, and troop carriers.

Drawing inspiration from the British Carden-Loyd tankette, the TKS was the product of a recon tank demand from the Polish army. Initially, it carried an MG for it's armament, the Wz.25 in 7.92mm calibre, but as war approached a program was started to replace the machine gun with a 20mm autocannon. TKS' were used as reconnaissance, but were completely outmatched against even German Panzer I's.

Only a small number of TKS' were ever upgraded with the 20mm autocannon. The upgrade was significant, however, as it meant that the tankette could take on Pz I's and some Pz II's head-on, or early Pz III's and IV's from the sides and rear. The armour was still a very thin 8mm at most in the hull, and 10mm at most in the superstructure.

Based off of the Wz.28, which itself was based off of a French Chassis, the Wz.34 was an attempt to improve the design and to act as reconnaissance vehicles. Despite being lightly armed and armoured, it was still pressed into defensive or even offensive roles in combat, to which they suffered high losses.

The Bofors Wz.36 was a license-built M/34 anti-tank gun, originally produced in Sweden. By September 1939, the Polish army had around 1,200 guns. It was very light, 380kg, which allowed it to be transported very quickly on roads/highways. It was very effective against early war tanks, but by 1941 it was outdated and could only score hits on light armoured targets. A version of the Wz.36 was used in some Polish tanks.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 2: Rising Tide (Prelude)

quote:

Rising Tide description

While the western governments were thinking of whether or not they should declare war, the German army was aggressively driving the Poles deep into the center of the country by breaking through with their tanks and the extensive use of artillery and aviation. The skepticism that was natural for the German forces concerning the beginning of war was easily overcome. The Polish forces were disperseed into several large, hastily retreating groups. The battle at Bzura became the largest in central Poland, which took place to the West of Warsaw from September 9 through 18 between the Polish Poznan Army and part of the Pomorze Army forces, on one side, and formations of the German 8th and 10 Armies, on the other. The Vistula River on the North, its tributary Bzura -- on the South, and the towns of Kutno and Sochaczew on West and East limited the battlefield. The Poznan Army forces, which were not yet involved in action, were moving into this region and further towards Warsaw under the threat of a German flanking attack. The fact that the army was already retreating for more than a week, and the enemy had gotten deep inside the Polish territory, built the ground for decision that was soon made by General Kutrzeba, the Command of the Army. The iodea was not just move towards Warsaw, dodging the enemy, but to strike against the German 8th Army. The plan for this onslaught was developed regardless of the unfavorable balance of power, in violation of the direct prohibition of Rydz-Smigly.

The situation in the Bzura area contributed to the initiation of the Poznan Army offensive. It became possible thanks to a miscalculation by the German Command, which assumed that the Polish army had been completely devastated and that tere was no danger of any active counter-attacks. Right after th completion of the frontier battles, the German 8th Army was assigned to chase the Poles and break into Lowicz, while the main body was deployed between Lodz and Bzura. As a result, the 8th Army was hit by a heavy flank attack by the retreating Poznan Army. The Commander's intention was of quite limited nature: with the partial army forces to make a strike from the Kutno area towards Strykow, defeat the northern flank group of the German 8th Army and thus support the further retreat of the Poznan and Pomorze Armies to Warsaw. For the main strike General Kutrzeba built a task force under the command of General E. Knoll-Kownacki consisting of three Infantry Divisions and a heavy Artillery Regiment. On September 8th, the group deployed along a front of 24 kilometers on the northern bank of Bzura. The Knoll's group launched the offensive during the night of September 9th, when the German aviation could not wrest it down. The unexpected onslaught pushed the Wehrmacht detachments back several kilometers to the south of Bzura.

We are tasked with assaulting a German artillery position. We also appear to be striking into their flank, and we should expect counter-attacks once our objective is completed. Therefore, we shall require armour to bolster our advance while also requiring infantry to take and hold any ground we wish to defend.

Our current deployment consists of a mix of tanks, a familiar TKS and some infantry. The infantry is locked, which means we must use them in this mission. This leaves us with 900 points to create our attacking force.

At our disposal...

A lengthy list of units, some of which are blocked due to capturing equipment in the first mission. I would like the thread to choose my available forces and pick a unit, each, that I will try my best to keep alive. Participants will also tell me how they want their points spread across the survivors, after every mission.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I select one of the Vickers Ejw units. They shall be known as "Sallyz Krew".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This game looks pretty interesting. Anyway, I'll be boring and grab a 7TP, having great experience commanding tanks to do nothing at all.
edit: I guess tabby camo is out of the question?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Will you be posting the mission blurbs in the thread. I couldn't read it off the video when I glanced over.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

Will you be posting the mission blurbs in the thread. I couldn't read it off the video when I glanced over.

I'll get right on that! I wasn't sure if it was readable or not.

Also, I'll get an update on the new vehicles we have in our reserve pool. I'll include personnel details about chosen units as well, since we might as well get acquainted with the (virtual) men under our command.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up to die on one of those Anti-Tank guns!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I would like a tank. Tanks are fun. Does this game have planes?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I would like a tank. Tanks are fun. Does this game have planes?

Yes, but none are controllable. They only show up as support, much like the mortar support we were given in Mission 01.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Can we have stat blocks for the equipment in the upcoming mission?

Will get it done ASAP tonight.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Can we have stat blocks for the equipment in the upcoming mission?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do we have anti-materiel rifles available? If so, I'd like an anti-tank sniper please. If not, a Vickers E, dw (the two-turreted variant) 7TP.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pierzak posted:

Do we have anti-materiel rifles available? If so, I'd like an anti-tank sniper please. If not, a Vickers E, dw (the two-turreted variant) 7TP.

ATR Squads are furnished with anti-tank rifles, they are by no means snipers though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I know, I just like the concept :shobon: can I have an ATR squad then?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pierzak posted:

I know, I just like the concept :shobon: can I have an ATR squad then?

Will do! (I'll try to see if the QM can relinquish an extra scope, just in case ;) )

Giving Herpicle a 7TP brings us up to 760 points, meaning we have 340 points left!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
20mm TKS, please!

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

I would like to drive a Vickers E dw.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Only 170 points left!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'll grab an FT-31

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Eh, put me in for an ATR squad.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
With 20 points left, we can't afford to bring anything else.

Info post on new weaponry and chosen units (and their crew) to follow

Edit:
So the level has a hard limit on how many tanks you can bring, without telling you it does. The first 4 chosen tanks will therefore be included, and the rest will be prioritized for the next mission.

Sorry about that guys, I forgot all about the hard caps it has.

Current Deployment Group

Priority placement as follows:
Ygmir - Vickers E dw
Bacarruda - FT-31

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
New Equipment - Polish Armed Forces 02

Originally based off of the Vickers 6-ton light tank, the Poles imported about 38 of them from the UK. The engine was swapped out as the British one was easily flammable. It also initially was a twin-turret before being changed to a single turret armed with a 37mm bofors gun and co-axial MG. Less than 200 7TP tanks were produced, but they proved to be a capable opponent against German panzers.

The Vickers 6-ton tank or Vickers (Mark) E was the basis for the 7TP. This type was never produced by Poland, as by that time they had improved the design which resulted in the aforementioned 7TP. Most E types were used extensively as training tanks.

The jw (Really a Mark E type B) was the first tank to be equipped with a turret with twin armament: a gun and a machine gun. Oddly enough the British never purchased any, and Vickers aggressively marketed it for export, finding buyers in the USSR, Poland, Finland, China, Bolivia, and others.

The first tank to be have its armament in a fully rotating turret, the FT-17 is the grand-father of modern tank design. It was the most advanced design when it was first produced, near the end of World War 1, and they were extensively used throughout the world and as late as 1949 despite being obsolete for over 15 years! Its obsolescence was quite evident once it started facing newer tanks such as the Panzer II, III, and IV. The small crew of only 2 was also a major disadvantage but, for a while, it was the cream of the crop.

While never officially called the FT-31, it was a downgrade from the original FT-17. The cannons were taken out of these tanks so that they could be put into newer, better types (Namely the R35). If the FT-17 was considered obsolete by the start of WW2, piloting the FT-31 was like signing your death warrant.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What was the foot on the back for? I mean, it looks long enough that tipping up longwise in mud shouldn't be a concern. Were they capable of mounting an artillery gun or something?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Skills and characteristics
I'm simply going to paste what the manual says.

Theatre of War posted:

Combat Skills
The combat skills of a soldier may change as his combat experience grows. A soldier’s combat skills (‘Driver’, ‘Gunner’, and ‘Scout’) can only be improved after the mission has been completed provided that the soldier has survived and has accumulated combat experience points which have not yet been spent. A combat skill can only be improved in the ‘Debriefing’ screen.

‘Driver’ is a skill directly influencing a soldier’s ability to operate military vehicles properly in a combat situation. The level of this skill influences:

-Ability to drive vehicles (skill level higher than zero)
-Maneuvering in battle
-Use of various speed modes
-Stability and smoothness of movement
-Ability to cross obstacles
-Ability to use enemy’s vehicles (level higher than 50)
-Ability to fire on the move (level higher than 80)
-Choosing an optimal movement route taking the combat situation into account

‘Gunner’ is a skill directly influencing a soldier’s ability to aim heavy weapons (tank guns, artillery, and heavy machine guns) accurately. The level of this skill influences:

-Ability to fire guns (level higher than zero)
-Speed of aiming the gun
-Response time to battle situation changes
-Skills of a correctly choosing the most dangerous enemy
-Accuracy of aiming and hitting
-Ability to use guns of enemy’s vehicles (level higher than 50)
-Ability to fire on the move (level higher than 80)

‘Scout’ is a skill influencing a soldier’s ability to observe the battlefield while remaining unnoticed himself, and to fire from sniper rifles. The level of this skill influences:

-The maximum distance at which a soldier is capable of spotting and identifying enemy targets;
-A soldier’s ability to remain unspotted on the battle field near the enemy using terrain and natural obstacles;
-Ability to operate sniper rifles and use aimed fire.
-A single sniper with a good Scout skill can often approach an enemy unspotted using “crawl” while holding fire, then target the enemy quickly for a few shots, and withdraw to quickly change his position before the enemy is able to identify his location.

‘Accuracy’ is a skill directly influencing a soldier’s ability to hit a target firing small arms (including machine guns). This is the only skill which improves during an ongoing battle when a soldier is using his weapon.

Non-Combat Characteristics
Non-combat characteristics directly affect a soldiers’ behavior and condition during a battle, and include: Health, Morale, Leadership, Intelligence.

‘Health’ is a basic parameter determining how much damage a soldier can withstand from direct hits or secondary effects.

‘Morale’ is a key parameter determining the reaction of a soldier to a given order, a change in the combat situation or the ability to actively participate in combat actions.

The ‘Leadership’ parameter:

-The ‘Leadership’ of a commander has effect on himself, all his subordinate soldiers and the soldiers who are within visual contact and belong to the same combat arm (infantry, armor...) as the commander;
-The ‘Leadership’ of soldiers within squads or crews has effect on the soldier himself, and nearby comrades-in-arms (of the same combat arm).
-The ‘Leadership’ of a tank commander has effect on visibility range and spotting of enemies.

The tank commander’s ‘Leadership’ parameter has no influence on the ‘Morale’ of the infantry fighting near the tank and vice versa.

‘Leadership’ only depends on the rank and the combat decorations awarded. Thus, regular soldiers have no ‘Leadership’ whatsoever. The higher the rank, the higher the ‘Leadership’ skill of an officer or NCO. Since a person can only be promoted to a new rank or awarded with decorations after a battle is complete, the ‘Leadership’ parameter cannot change during the battle.

‘Intelligence’ is a separate characteristic of a soldier that only influences his ability to learn. A soldier’s ‘Intelligence’ has no effect on his behavior in a combat situation, assessment of the situation, or reaction to the commander’s orders.

The ‘Intelligence’ parameter is only taken into account when calculating combat experience and skill points gained by the soldier as a result of a battle. The higher the ‘Intelligence’ skill, the higher the multiplier applied to determine the soldier’s combat experience and skill points. This modifier means that a soldier with a higher ‘Intelligence’ skill gains more benefits in the form of practical observations and skills during a battle.

Obviously, you want your units to survive, just as you want to increase their skills based on the position they occupy as part of a crew. There's no sense upgrading a persons gunnery skill if you always have him as the driver. It can be useful to train a 2nd or 3rd person in a crew for a particular skill, in case your primary dies, but otherwise it's not worth sinking the points into it.

Keep in mind that the positions I label don't have to be final, and can be changed depending on the owner of said unit.

Veloxyll's Crew

Veterans from the Assault into Poland, at least two men have distinguished themselves with medals (And I believe Jarek was promoted).

anilEhilated's Crew

A great driver, and a great commander. Karol may become a liability sooner rather than later.

HerpicleOmnicron5's Crew

Mateusz is probably the smartest soldier we have. A pretty smart crew, they will surely develop their skills rapidly!

Pierzak's Crew

The only things that should be noted is that each ATR squad only gets 1 anti-tank gunner. There is also only one leader for the entire unit, whereas everyone else is a grunt.

Davin Valkri's Crew

Do you think those Lebowski's get confused for each other sometimes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR's Crew

Papinski is an excellent gunner. Let's hope he's lucky enough to survive.

Sallyz Krew

The only crew with a unique name. That's about all they got going though :v:

Reserves
Ygmir's Crew

Maybe not the best crew, but we need every man we can get!

Bacarruda's Crew

Another not-so-great crew. They can't be worse than the vehicle they have.

Non-crewed reserves
:siren: These men must be used or else we will lose them forever. First come, first serve. 1 Man per person.:siren:

To make amends to those left out, they will get priority placement in the next mission and first pick in the next campaign

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 25, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

What was the foot on the back for? I mean, it looks long enough that tipping up longwise in mud shouldn't be a concern. Were they capable of mounting an artillery gun or something?

Anti-ditching device to help them get across trenches.

Wikipedia posted:

The FT's tracks were kept automatically under tension to prevent derailments, while a rounded tail piece facilitated the crossing of trenches .

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Sallyz Krew may not be the best, but they have heart, damnit! Also, Nowak is like some sort of soldier philosopher with that INT score.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am slightly concerned that we do not have any HE artillery.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wanted a squad, but I'll take Adrian!

Blind Sally posted:

Sallyz Krew may not be the best, but they have heart, damnit! Also, Nowak is like some sort of soldier philosopher with that INT score.

Yet he got saddled with two barely functional guys.

That German attack in mission. Kind of hard to believe that they're a formidable military threat when their tactics were
1) Charge the trenches
2) Heil Hitler

Only the armored car tried to do some flanking, but, well, it's an armored car.

COULD HAVE USED IT TO SCOUT OUT POLISH POSITIONS!

Oh, and I hope you get far enough for us to get to ToW3 to shoot up some Best Koreans.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 24, 2015

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

JcDent posted:

I wanted a squad, but I'll take Adrian!

Yet he got saddled with two barely functional guys.

That German attack in mission. Kind of hard to believe that they're a formidable military threat when their tactics were
1) Charge the trenches
2) Heil Hitler

Only the armored car tried to do some flanking, but, well, it's an armored car.

COULD HAVE USED IT TO SCOUT OUT POLISH POSITIONS!

Oh, and I hope you get far enough for us to get to ToW3 to shoot up some Best Koreans.

How are the other ToW games anyway? I looked this one up on Steam and saw there are two more, what are the differences or improvements?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nuramor posted:

How are the other ToW games anyway? I looked this one up on Steam and saw there are two more, what are the differences or improvements?

No clue, that's why I'm asking. I just know that one of them is about a war that game makers don't want to do: Korea!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Huzzah, I get to see action early! Oh no, I get to see action early!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What do we do with non-crewed reserves?

edit: like, should I get one of those guys, or what? They suck compared to my tag team of One of the Three Wise Men and another dude.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nuramor posted:

Keep in mind that I am biased.

2 is great, with many added features that provide a better overall experience. The only downside is that they split the game into two, then added DLC. Get it when its on sale.

3 was a buggy wreck in release. It changed a lot of stuff and, to me, felt more like a Men of War game. They may have patched/improved it but I never bothered to revisit the game.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What do we do with non-crewed reserves?

edit: like, should I get one of those guys, or what? They suck compared to my tag team of One of the Three Wise Men and another dude.

As a general rule, unless they are better than one of your current members, or much smarter (with near enough stats) theres no need to swap out. Those ATR squads have some pretty bad recruits, if you know what I mean.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just a reminder, crew changes will be closed after 10pm EST tonight.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Just out of curiosity, what would you do with the reserve members? Only Adrian Dsiosek looks like he'd be an upgrade for my ATR squad, but he's a gunner, so shouldn't he go on one of the vehicles instead?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with the reserve members? Only Adrian Dsiosek looks like he'd be an upgrade for my ATR squad, but he's a gunner, so shouldn't he go on one of the vehicles instead?

Swap 'em out for the crappiest soldiers I have. Technically, I could drop them into another reserve squad so we don't lose them (But we would lose the swapped out man) but I'd rather see them either used in combat or "given leave to go home and rest".

Looking at your squad, Roman Lebowski and Bernard Skorzak have terrible stats all around and I would most likely replace both ASAP.

As for their skills, it's true that someone with points in a skill like gunner or driver should be used in a crewed unit, bringing/keeping them in combat lets them grow and get better.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Hmm, I don't suppose I can make Adrian Dsiosek my ATR gunner, transfer the guy already there (Edward Horbanski) into the regular infantry, and drum out Bernard Skorzak as unfit, can I?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Davin Valkri posted:

Hmm, I don't suppose I can make Adrian Dsiosek my ATR gunner, transfer the guy already there (Edward Horbanski) into the regular infantry, and drum out Bernard Skorzak as unfit, can I?

Done

I can't tell if Dziosek is unhappy that he's the AT gunner now, especially when Edward's got that grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If we're reassunging pixelmans, I'll swap Piotr to Commander then, put Jaropelk on Loader, with August in the Infantry role.

Does Gunner affect the Loader position at all?

• Locked thread