Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Problem description I built my PC back in November of 2012. For the past three years, its worked great with almost no major issues i can remember. Instead of a monitor, I use a 40 inch TV. I went to wake my computer from sleep this morning, but my monitor displayed "no signal." It makes the usual startup noises and all the regular lights come on, but nothing's getting to the monitor. I've used it for work, web browsing, media and long gaming sessions for years and have never had this problem before.

Attempted fixes: Switched out HDMI cables, and tried a different monitor to no avail. Restarted, unplugged and replugged everything. My everyday GPU is an HD7850, but my CPU has an onboard graphics card, so I tried using its HDMI port but got the same results. It's never been an issue before, so I don't know if I need to "turn on" the onboard card first before it will work. Of course, my ideal fix would be to get everything working like it did before, but I'd like to at least get by on integrated graphics until I can work out the real problem, since I have no other PC.

Recent changes: Nothing comes to mind.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64 bit

System specs: i3-3225 CPU with onboard graphics
HD7850 GPU with 1GB VRAM
Antec 400W PSU
8Gb RAM
As rock H77m MOBO
1Tb HDD
120Gb SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I had to physically remove the GPU, but now I can get a signal from the on-board card. So now that I have a mostly-working computer, I'm no longer in panic mode. Is there a way to tell if the problem is with the GPU or the MOBO? For what it's worth, the GPU fan was still working at least. If I plug the GPU into another PCI slot and everything works, does that mean I need to start worrying about the rest of the motherboard going bad? If it doesn't, are there any GPU's on par with the HD7850 in the $100-150 range I should look out for?

EDIT 2: Tried hooking up the GPU in the PCI 2.0 slot, but got the same results; fan spins, but no signal is sent to the monitor, so I'm assuming the GPU is dead. Which I'm surprised by; it's only ~28 months old, and showed none of the usual in-game signs of a dying graphics card, but I'm guessing that's more likely than both of the PCI slots dying.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a way to tell if the problem is with the GPU or the MOBO?

Trying a different GPU.

Lester Shy posted:

For what it's worth, the GPU fan was still working at least. If I plug the GPU into another PCI slot and everything works, does that mean I need to start worrying about the rest of the motherboard going bad?

Yes.

Lester Shy posted:

...but I'm guessing that's more likely than both of the PCI slots dying.

Yes.

• Locked thread