Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

is this a good thing or a bad thing i havent been keeping up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
it means we have to treat your posts the same as my posts which is a shame considering how good my posts are compared to yours

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

good but cable companies will drag this out through the court system for years and years so maybe it will benefit our grandchildren while our worm-ridden corpses are dug up and processed into their food because climate change destroyed all farming.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it means we have to treat your posts the same as my posts which is a shame considering how good my posts are compared to yours

:thurman:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

does this include valeyard too?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Widdiful posted:

is this a good thing or a bad thing i havent been keeping up

u need to ask urself how does this relate to wabbits op

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
verizon seems to be taking it well http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/fccs-throwback-thursday-move-imposes-1930s-rules-on-the-internet

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Widdiful posted:

does this include valeyard too?

my posts are in the top 10% and deserve special treatment

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

theadder posted:

u need to ask urself how does this relate to wabbits op

rabbits poo frequently, hence the little pun in the title you may have noticed.. hope u rofld as hard as i did

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

still don't understand any of this

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

holy hell

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my racist uncle says that netflix and comcast will go out of business so good i guess

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Widdiful posted:

rabbits poo frequently, hence the little pun in the title you may have noticed.. hope u rofld as hard as i did

i note ur pun op but im concerned this could refer to any animal not simply a wabbit plz clarify

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

holy lmao

the typewriter font (?) is a nice touch too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

verizon thinks its bad so it must be good

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it is bad because it will benefit google and other large online companies at the expense of customers

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so when can the Feds break up Comcast? that's what I'm waiting for

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh cool now we can be like China and Iran

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

I can't get this to load lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
what I gather from this thread is that stymie and Verizon don't like it so I guess I do hope and change

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

PuTTY riot posted:

what I gather from this thread is that stymie and Verizon don't like it so I guess I do hope and change

when has turning a telecom into a utility ever been a bad idea

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

I can't get this to load lol

verizon was right! we need internet fast lanes to prevent sites like theirs from slowing down

The page is in morse code, and it links to a pdf version that looks like it was typed on an old typewriter

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

lazydog posted:

verizon was right! we need internet fast lanes to prevent sites like theirs from slowing down

The page is in morse code, and it links to a pdf version that looks like it was typed on an old typewriter

oh cool I'm gonna set up a cw decoder and see if it works

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

all verizon companies are great pro-consumer and pro-customer entities that bend over backwards to provide the best service they can while appeasing shareholders

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
one of these days I'm gonna learn cw (morse code) and I'll be king of the nerds

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
it means ensuring the status quo for the most part, op

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Stymie posted:

it is bad because it will benefit google and other large online companies at the expense of customers

stymie is right

enjoy subsidizing tech companies. ur now gonna pay more every month or there will be bandwidth caps

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I kinda agree that Netflix have been dicks but don't really want to be on the same side of an argument as Verizon or cremnob

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

holy lol. i didn't know verizon was allowed or capable of being funny

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

OTOH I live in a country which has common carrier for internet already so it doesn't matter much

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

this wont load for me lol

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

pointsofdata posted:

I kinda agree that Netflix have been dicks but don't really want to be on the same side of an argument as Verizon or cremnob

it's not that netflix have been dicks really, net neutrality is just doing away with competition with other services. services that allow netflix will surely win over if it's popular enough to use

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Chinatown posted:

this wont load for me lol

it just takes a long time. just let it sit there in a tab

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pointsofdata posted:

netflix was just really dumb because the ceo guy thought he could save some money.

they've always been irrelevant to the fcc's decision making though, the fcc determined the stuff that happened didn't violate any current or planned regs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

cremnob posted:

stymie is right

enjoy subsidizing tech companies. ur now gonna pay more every month or there will be bandwidth caps

sorry cremnob it actually forbids bandwidth caps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

it's not that netflix have been dicks really, it's just doing away with competition with other services. services that allow netflix will surely win over if it's popular enough to use

nobody "wasn't allowing netflix" netflix just refused to follow standard internet procedures used worldwide.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

sorry cremnob it actually forbids bandwidth caps

this seems 2 be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also the verizon thing is dumb they're just mad that their hissyfit at the old rules forced the fcc to do this lol

• Locked thread