Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone should probably make a better OP than this, but no one else has posted a thread yet and now we have a proper event date.

https://www.apple.com/watch/

Apple unveiled their Watch late last year, and will presumably announce more details on March 9. That event will be streamed on their website at this page. Go nuts talking about the Apple Watch here, though presumably it'll be pretty quiet until the event. All we have to go on now is the information about the 3 models, various bands, and rumors that some of the health sensors have been cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I hope this turns out to be a great product.
I do too but I'm always leery of first-gen Apple products. I'm really going to want to snag one day one, but I know I should just wait a year.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't wait to not be allowed to wear it during university exams.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now?
Normal consumer logic doesn't apply when you get into luxury goods.

You're trying to rationalize the same behavior of buying a Ferrari. At some point you just have enough money that you don't think about purchases and just say "eh gently caress it."

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Luxury good is the wrong way to look at it, gold is a commodity, all the technology inside is basically commodity, if you take it apart an Apple Watch Sport and an Apple Watch edition are the same watch, I just can't imagine them taking much of a margin on the gold and by all accounts there is $1,200 worth of gold in it at absolute most, probably significantly less.
Agree to disagree. Apple's never been known to operate on a thin margin. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet
We don't know poo poo about Apple Watch other than what it looks like and some of the band options.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

What time is this? 10 PDT/ 1 EDT?
Yes

http://www.apple.com/live/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple.com has been replaced with the event page:

http://www.apple.com/live/2015-mar-event/

Looks like they're doing the rolling blog style page again. Didn't this crash their site last time?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mik posted:

Works fine with VLC for me. I always hate the over-enthusiasm of the audience at these things "woo we're so excited to be able to buy new products!!!"
Keep in mind that a decent chunk of the audience is the engineers who have spent years working on the product and are very proud of their work and excited about its release.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lelandjs posted:

Apple Watch incoming.
No poo poo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Nope, they just need to change.
You tell that most valuable company in the world what to do!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

ResearchKit being open source is pretty cool.
Like FaceTime was open source? :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah, I didn't find it too useful though. It doesn't give any sense of how it feels on your wrist. I certainly wouldn't preorder one blindly.
I'm curious how quickly the order fulfillment time will grow if you don't get your preorder in immediately. I know a lot of people will want to go to an Apple Store and check out sizing, but that weekend will probably be a madhouse and I could see just as many just guessing at what they'll like and trying to exchange it if necessary.

Hm, now I'm really tempted to wait 90 days to see if refurbs show up on the Apple Store at the usual time. I expect return rates to be significantly higher than their other products if only for aesthetic reasons.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Who here is actually planning to buy a watch?
I'm still on the fence. On the one hand I'd use the fitness stuff, I think it looks cool, and it fits my budget. On the other hand is basically everything that comes along with being an early adopter: first-gen hardware, immature app ecosystem, unknown resale value, etc. I'm also not sure about the usefulness of the Watch vs. using my phone, but that was an unknown with the iPad as well.

I waited until both the iPad and iPhone were mature products and I dont feel like I missed out on much not having those products through their teething years.

At a minimum, I think that I'll at least sit out the launch, look at user impressions over the first few months, and then snag a refurb to offset the early adopter risk a bit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The iPad was a success on its own but I gotta figure a good percentage is from wireless carriers on payment plans.
I actually don't think this is remotely true, but don't have the data to back it up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sick burns on Friday night in the IYG Apple Watch thread.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gohmak posted:

What is this one per costumer bull crap?
Apple limiting purchase quantities at launch of a supply-constrained product? Why I never

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zen death robot posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 now
Good call. We should meet up and AirDrop files between our iPad Air 2s some time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Who gives a poo poo?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Could you two awful posters take it to PMs or something?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You speak in really odd absolutes. ...You speak in hyperbole for both sides of the fence, dude.

Rip Apple, you died with Steve.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also if it's anything like an iPhone launch, use the Apple Store app to preorder tonight. It's usually a lot better at not timing out while the website is getting hammered. Not that this will have anywhere near the demand as an iPhone, but still, use the app.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well we should have concrete numbers almost immediately after launch. Apple's earnings call is April 27 -- should be interesting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm surprised that most of you seem to be preordering 38mm. Is 42mm really that big?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

42mm with link bracelet is 4-6 weeks :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I decided to sit out the preorder despite being up at midnight and watching the Apple Store app. I'm really curious to see what happens to the product over the next few months, but just couldn't bite the early adopter bullet. Best of luck to everyone who preordered with their new toy! We'll see what WWDC holds for the rest of Apple's lineup. Maybe it'll convince me to jump on a Watch, especially if refurbs show up in the store at some point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Something I am reading online is that all the leather loop was on a 4-6 week delivery when the store opened yesterday. Can anyone confirm?
If my memory serves, I think that's correct. It was the same with 42mm link bracelet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

roymorrison posted:

Yo im a time traveler from 42 pages ago just here to let u know you youre a fucken dork for comparing a dumbass ithing to a ferrari
I argue that both a Ferrari and Apple Watch Edition are Veblen goods, so I believe the :iiaca: is appropriate in this instance. :gb2gbs:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stop posting shipment updates.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KingEup posted:

I don't have an iPhone, only an iPad
no
no

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

Yes. I feel like there should be a YOSPOS thread for this sort of poo poo.
So make one

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: WWDC time! :siren:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul Allen posted:

Not sure I'm seeing a price..
Thread title.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

edit: nevermind