Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Spock wore a gold shirt on the first episode of Star Trek, but then switched to blue for the rest of series.

Now he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This whole thing taught me that the FCC was wrong about net neutrality.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

THERE! IS! GOLD! AND WHITE!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Gabriel Pope posted:

At face value it's blue/gold, I have no idea how people are managing to get "black."

Well you see,

quote:

I mean, I can tell it's a phenomenally lovely and overexposed photo and intellectually I can understand how it started out as black

That, basically. Once people are able to figure out what's actually going on in the photo, it's obviously black in real life even if it's not true black in the photograph, so they call it black. For instance:

That dog clearly has a white face in real life, so even though the white balance was off in the camera that took it you'd probably call it a black and white dog even though in the photo it's blue.

lfield
May 10, 2008
I see a white and gold dog.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Fister Roboto posted:

Spock wore a gold shirt on the first episode of Star Trek, but then switched to blue for the rest of series.

Now he's dead.

Star Whackers strike again.

also:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF people who don't understand white balance ITT

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

beato posted:

Star Whackers strike again.

also:

Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF people who don't understand white balance ITT

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I am mildly freaked out:

When I looked at it this morning, it was white.

When I looked at it at lunchtime, on the same PC it was blue.

My intellect tells me it is because the rods and cones in my eyes have probably adjusted to a different colour temperature and my subconscious is adjusting my perception of what the colour it.

My emotions are telling me is that it is due to tiny pixies in my eyes

Tiny pixies! In my eyes!

Tiny.Pixies.In.My.Eyes.

Pixies!!

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
I booted up Photoshop and used the colour picker to determine this once and for all.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

spog posted:

Pixies!!

:science: Pixels

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

beato posted:

I booted up Photoshop and used the colour picker to determine this once and for all.

:drat:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

beato posted:

Ah it's bley, :ms:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Am I the only one who first saw it as blue and gold? I could never see it as white, and I understand how the lighting makes the black appear gold, but even looking at it now it still looks blue and gold.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I can see why people would argue over the blue/white part.

I don't get how people say it's black unless they are saying "It would be black if the colors were correct!" which is stupid because no one is arguing about that.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I've managed to figure out how to make it changed between the white/yellow and black/blue versions at will. Cover up the bright background on the right side of the original picture (or just use this image). Have it on a lighter background than the picture. Now, stare at the dress. It should go black and blue. Now stare at the background. It should fade to white and yellow. :science:

Ignimbrite has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Feb 28, 2015

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That dress is 50 shades of meh.

Edit: I'm honored! :patriot:

TITTIEKISSER69 has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 28, 2015

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I want to go back to seeing white and gold but as the 1989 film All Dogs Go To Heaven has taught men, you can never come back :(

kolokol-1
Jan 11, 2015
It's definitely yellow and green

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

You people are blind. It's clearly white and black.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Anyone who posted a wall of text in here is gaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
what? No, for reals, what the gently caress is going on what is with that dress and why am I just now hearing about this? What's the contention?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

What color is this shirt???

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

gradenko_2000 posted:

What color is this shirt???

Red.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anyone that says blue/black should be sent to death camps with goldblack triangles.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I almost made it through lunch with out any of my coworkers talking about it, but then somebody just had to bring it up. Then, rather than just having a fun little discussion, the office bitch had to explain to us the scientific way it worked. Rather than just talking color theory or about rods and cones she yelled at us about the wavelengths of light and then ran off to the office, brought back a completely different optical illusion she had pinned to a board and waved it in everyone's face. And that is what happened to me today gently caress that stupid dress.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

It can be mistaken for white/gold if you look at the very top of it, which really does look like gold because of the poor lighting. Start from the bottom and it's much easier to tell that it's black/blue.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You can't even buy this dress in the USA? Lame.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

At my place of employment where we're supposed to be doing meaningful work, we all gathered around one computer screen and some people saw it as the opposite of others, so it isn't an issue of the monitor or viewing conditions. And one of the guys who saw it differently from me is only like two months younger than me, so I don't think age has anything to do with it.

Only lucky guy (who was being paid to do a job not related to looking at dresses) was one of the "switchers". He said at one point "This would be a lot less confusing if people were passing around the same image instead of different ones" and then he flipped his poo poo when he realized that he was looking at an email reply to the original, containing the exact same image.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

jidohanbaiki posted:

I almost made it through lunch with out any of my coworkers talking about it, but then somebody just had to bring it up. Then, rather than just having a fun little discussion, the office bitch had to explain to us the scientific way it worked. Rather than just talking color theory or about rods and cones she yelled at us about the wavelengths of light and then ran off to the office, brought back a completely different optical illusion she had pinned to a board and waved it in everyone's face. And that is what happened to me today gently caress that stupid dress.

Aren't you a schoolteacher or something? Was the office bitch in this case a physics teacher?

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Moreso than my own color perception this dress has made me doubt my fashion sense, because I didn't really think it was an ugly dress, it's just a textured knit dress with lace on it?? And then I see people definitively declaring that the dress is absolutely ugly and unflattering, and I'm like…. drat. I hope if some random part of my wardrobe was posted on the internet I wouldn't have thousands of people screaming that everyone should shut up about that ugly top/dress/whatever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man when I first heard about this I assumed there had to be some celebrity that wore the dress but apparently people really are just talking about a random loving dress. This is the most baffling internet phenomenon I've seen in ages.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
For fucks sake internet, stop buying lovely monitors or at least fix the settings

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Bluemine this poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beato posted:

That depends on where you pick.

Okay, various blues. And brown.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Angela Christine posted:

That depends on where you pick.

Okay, various blues. And brown.

look at the hex value in my picture :ssh:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beato posted:

look at the hex value in my picture :ssh:

Reading boxes? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U398KY6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Literally all I can see in that dress, from the first time I saw it, is blue and black. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could see blue and gold in that.

Maybe it has something to do with how you see it first (darker/brighter), but no matter what I look at, it reaminds the same to me.

• Locked thread