Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty sure 3.5 RAW sells at half list price, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

The InverseWorldGames Gmail account. If I can still get in, I'll paypal you ASAP. LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY, BRO.

Yeah, that email was given so people could paypal. Do that!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

Psyched about both of these (and you should get me in on that Fellowship playtest)

Don't know about the new version, but the last one was loving awesome.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not going to get into an argument about 4th Edition because I have still never played anything more recent than 3.5 (not even Pathfinder! Wow!), but my only gaming friends who took to 4th Edition are the only ones who read either this subforum or other D&D stuff online--the ones who hated it were the ones who are never going to spend their time caring what other people think about table-top role-playing. The guy I know who hates 4th Edition the most is the same guy who loathed 3rd Edition so much that after reading the rules he refused to play it until someone made up joke covers for the game to rename it because he was so adamant it was "not Dungeons & Dragons."

But whereas he fell in love with 3rd Edition's mechanics and ultimately had to admit it was great and he was wrong, he holds a special kind of anger for 4th Edition that is difficult to understand.

And in both cases, he played the game once, thought it basically sucked but was willing to give it a second chance, and then the second-play through started changing his opinion for 3rd Edition but crystallizing it for 4th. I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.

Still what I am really saying is, I will never understand what happens in people's brains when they experience gaming mechanics.

I could probably play and have fun with basically any system if I liked the people I was playing with, but for some people you would think the specter of death loomed near any time the wrong mechanic for swinging a sword arose.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Quarex posted:

I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.

How out of combat healing works in 4E is that you have a bunch of Healing Surges, which represent your longterm endurance, and out of combat you can just auto-heal by spending a bunch of surges to get your HPs back. It's a built in solution to the problem where everyone in 3.5 ended up carrying a Wand of Cure Light Wounds everywhere they go to heal up between battles anyway.

So I'm assuming what happened is your friend went "I'm gonna use Healing Word on my injured friend now that battle is over" and the GM likely told him some variation of "you don't really need to do that, that guy can use their healing surges and they'll be ready for the next battle anyway". He might not have gotten to the second part of that explanation before your friend left though. There is a lot of irrational hatred for 4th edition out there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Outside of combat in 4E anyone can voluntarily spend any number of their own Healing Surges to restore their lost hit points with the benefit of a Short Rest, about five minutes of uninterrupted downtime. There are class abilities and powers that can make this recuperation more effective, but for the most part if you're looking to recover HP outside of combat and aren't being harried by traps or something then you don't need a Cleric going around and tapping people on the head with Cure Light Wounds.

So without knowing more about the incident in question the GM isn't wrong per se but saying "it doesn't work that way" misses WHY it doesn't work that way, and your friend sounds like an overreactionary dipshit.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
THAT FRIEND IS MEEEE no just kidding, he is definitely prone to dramatic overreaction, though the reason we are still friends is because he is also capable of admitting he was wrong and apologizing and even changing his mind with the appearance of new facts(!) (though apparently not about 4th Edition. To his credit? he also has zero interest in 5th Edition, haha)

I certainly had some vague awareness of the concept of "healing surges" but yeah I did not remember any of the stuff Gnome7 said well enough to be able to ask him if perhaps he was misunderstanding the GM.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
He almost certainly was, sorry. Gnome's right, a whole lot of people have a hate-on for 4E for really irrational reasons and your friend sounds like one of'em. "Try to explain the rules of this game to ME!? gently caress this, I'm out!"

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Siivola posted:

Did you know that "a Russian Dragonlance musical" is a thing that exists? Here it is, subtitled in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nnNX_R-jM

Holy gently caress, you aren't kidding! This is fantastic! The minimalist sets with projected background images! The cheap costumes! The modern dance! I think this is more Dragonlance than Dragonlance. It's perfect.

Serious, all you who have read the novels owe it to yourself to get inebriated and watch this. My jaw dropped. And this is a real quote from a Youtube commentor:

quote:

Solarus Shadowmaster1 week ago

What no tasslehof burfoot, kenders rule

Edit: one of the male dancers, dressed all in black, has a ponytail. This is like The Room for D&D.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 3, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Kai Tave posted:

He almost certainly was, sorry. Gnome's right, a whole lot of people have a hate-on for 4E for really irrational reasons and your friend sounds like one of'em. "Try to explain the rules of this game to ME!? gently caress this, I'm out!"

For some reason this never occurred to me before, but I think that story and this quote reveals why there's so much irrational anger about 4E.

It's a game that says D&D on the cover. I have played D&D for X number of years. I know how to play D&D. Thus, any time the mechanics of this game that says it's D&D don't match with my expectations - that is, don't fit with the way I know that the game is played, it's a betrayal and clearly it is the game that is wrong.

It's also why any edition change brings out the same irrational anger. Oh, and it's why some people changed their minds about 3.x.

It wasn't because they suddenly realized it was a better game with superior mechanics. It was because, at that time, there was no Pathfinder. If you wanted to play D&D and didn't have an established group that stuck with 2E or picked up a new game entirely at the edition change (at which point you basically just dropped out of the conversation), you had to play 3E. They stopped hating it because they got used to it. They were forced to stick with it long enough to learn the new mechanics.

It's also why those of us who have been around for multiple edition changes dismiss a lot of arguments out of hand. Because we've heard the exact same arguments last edition change, just with the number incremented and the cultural important movie/game/book/medium it's "copying" adjusted for the era. None of the content of the griping is new. The only reason the 3E/4E hate-on didn't just fade away like the 2E/3E hate-on or the 1E/2E hate-on and so on is Pathfinder. More social media was a small part of it, but really it's that PF meant no one dropped out of the conversation. No one just said, gently caress it, sticking with my group and our game, or just switched to a different game entirely.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 3, 2015

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Quarex posted:

And in both cases, he played the game once, thought it basically sucked but was willing to give it a second chance, and then the second-play through started changing his opinion for 3rd Edition but crystallizing it for 4th. I recently learned the last straw was when he tried to heal someone out of combat and the GM told him that was not how the game worked and so he apparently got up and left the table (this was at PAX East). Googling has failed to answer the question for me of whether that GM had no idea what was going on or whether that is, indeed, how the game works.
RAW all healing works outside of combat.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

For some reason this never occurred to me before, but I think that story and this quote reveals why there's so much irrational anger about 4E.

It's a game that says D&D on the cover. I have played D&D for X number of years. I know how to play D&D. Thus, any time the mechanics of this game that says it's D&D don't match with my expectations - that is, don't fit with the way I know that the game is played, it's a betrayal and clearly it is the game that is wrong.
The sheer lack of perspective that people showed when 4e came out was one of the more irritating things about it to me. The edition wars that sparked when 4e came out were basically a rerun of what happened when 3rd Edition first came out, including the numerous factually challenged criticisms (though 3e had the added bonus of Gary Gygax himself expressing his dislike of it). The reaction to 5e has been a bit more tame because it was partly an attempt to mollify everyone who was irrationally angry about 4e, but there's still a lot of griping.

I ended up playing 5e a bit because I have a friend who really wants to run it. (Though I wish WotC was daring enough to do something like my friend with a mashup of D&D, Log Horizon, and Gamma World.) I'd take 5e over 3rd (which is damning with faint praise), and it has a handful of nice touches (like how it handles backgrounds), but on the whole it's basically trying to be Generic D&D, and apart from brand recognition it has basically nothing to offer over the dozens of other dungeon fantasy RPGs out there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I'll be honest, I actually forgot we set up a late backer system, so I'm sorta glad for the reminder. Gotta make sure those people get their rewards too!

Speaking of which, what's the latest on the IW hardcopies?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

gnome7 posted:

If you forward the money to that paypal with a message telling us what backer tier you want, we'll get you sorted as soon as there is material to send out.

Ettin posted:

Yeah, that email was given so people could paypal. Do that!
Done and done! Enjoy having more money.

Also, Ewen, this may sound weird and out-of-place, but...I've bought basically everything you've put out in print, yet I'm not really the Patreon type (or digital in general). So, just letting you know there's another person out there who loves when you release PoD stuff!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You'd think that, as the de facto leader in the industry, Wizards should feel some sort of obligation to create not just a good game, but a forward-thinking one, inclusive, with no potential player turned away because "this game isn't for me". With their budget they could probably do it. Add in whatever they're paying Mearls and Smith and they could definitely do it.

As it stands the brand has become this monolithic thing that embodies TRADITION and VERISIMILITUDE and GYGAX'S LEGACY, among other code words for THE WAY I PLAYED BACK IN 1989. It suffocates innovation and collapses under its own weight anytime someone tries. Maybe I'll check back in five years when 6e is announced, but probably not.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What really needs to be kept in mind is that Wizards of the Coast by and large doesn't see D&D as much of a thing. The D&D guys can do whatever because it's never been a cash cow, and Magic is where all the big name stuff happens - and Magic is the forward-thinking, inclusive game they produce.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Captain Walker posted:

You'd think that, as the de facto leader in the industry, Wizards should feel some sort of obligation to create not just a good game, but a forward-thinking one, inclusive, with no potential player turned away because "this game isn't for me". With their budget they could probably do it. Add in whatever they're paying Mearls and Smith and they could definitely do it.

As it stands the brand has become this monolithic thing that embodies TRADITION and VERISIMILITUDE and GYGAX'S LEGACY, among other code words for THE WAY I PLAYED BACK IN 1989. It suffocates innovation and collapses under its own weight anytime someone tries. Maybe I'll check back in five years when 6e is announced, but probably not.

WotC pretty much doesn't give a flying gently caress about D&D because their flagship title, MtG, makes more money in a year than D&D has ever made in its entire existence.

The people writing D&D are people not good enough to be on the Magic team, so it's more or less a dumping ground. If WotC gave any sort of poo poo about the game you wouldn't have Mike loving Mearls heading it, and you'd have a team dedicated to combing through the math and having it all make sense and not be a regressive feel-good pile of garbage.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

But here's the thing: there's always going to be people who feel left behind because the game is Different now. They don't want to move with the times, and then get upset when they end up getting left behind.

Like, this?

quote:

As it stands the brand has become this monolithic thing that embodies TRADITION and VERISIMILITUDE and GYGAX'S LEGACY, among other code words for THE WAY I PLAYED BACK IN 1989. It suffocates innovation and collapses under its own weight anytime someone tries.
This is legitimately what a large number of gamers want.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
If you've got old Dragon magazines from 1991 or so lying around, go grab them and read the Forum section. You'll never guess the criticisms the readers of Dragon levy against 2nd Edition. Something about "dumbing it down" and making it "too much like a video game." Really. I wish I still had mine so I could quote them for you guys.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I have an old picture of the Diablo supplement for AD&D saved somewhere in case I need to bring it up in an internet argument

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know this too, actually just sent a Kickstarter message a little bit ago.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

Everything should be out now except the Personalized Tier and the Illustrated Tier. I have finished doing art for every single physical book, and all of them are in Mikan's hands now. She needs to write all over them for the Personalized Tier stuff, and then mail them out. I'll ask her for a status report next time she's online, we're probably due for an update.

If you are waiting on something other than those things, let me know so I can sort you out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

gnome7 posted:

Everything should be out now except the Personalized Tier and the Illustrated Tier. I have finished doing art for every single physical book, and all of them are in Mikan's hands now. She needs to write all over them for the Personalized Tier stuff, and then mail them out. I'll ask her for a status report next time she's online, we're probably due for an update.

If you are waiting on something other than those things, let me know so I can sort you out.

I had a clean copy in addition to a personalized one, would those be going out together?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gnome7 posted:

No, I've been waiting on the personalized one.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MartianAgitator posted:

If you've got old Dragon magazines from 1991 or so lying around, go grab them and read the Forum section. You'll never guess the criticisms the readers of Dragon levy against 2nd Edition. Something about "dumbing it down" and making it "too much like a video game." Really. I wish I still had mine so I could quote them for you guys.
My 3rd/4th/5th-Edition-hating-friend also duly hated 2nd Edition, no worries--though interestingly I think he hated it more as time went on and the number of supplements you """needed""" grew at an apparently unacceptable rate. Even though I am sure the number of 2nd Edition supplements was not that different than the number of 3rd Edition supplements despite existing much longer.

I am trying to remember if he hated AD&D when it first came out since his first gaming group was playing Basic in 1980. I should ask.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Echophonic posted:

I had a clean copy in addition to a personalized one, would those be going out together?

Yeah, they'll be bundled together to save on postage. Sorry about that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wizards only keeps D&D around because they want to keep the copyright fresh. It does nothing for them other than get them video and computer game royalties and the profits from selling more novels about Drizzt Do'urden.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

MartianAgitator posted:

Holy gently caress, you aren't kidding! This is fantastic! The minimalist sets with projected background images! The cheap costumes! The modern dance! I think this is more Dragonlance than Dragonlance. It's perfect.

I'm skipping through it going "I don't think this is really Dragonlance. I don't see anybody who looks like Tanis and that wizard is in a black robe and there's another guy in a black robe? And some chick in white OH MY GOD THIS ISNT JUST DRAGONLANCE THIS IS THE TIME OF THE TWINS TRILOGY!" Deep nerding!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

As big an rear end in a top hat as the Pundit is, credeting him with being one of Next's creators is a serious stretch. He's a "consultant" or more likely a mascot. Next is a lovely game and Pundit is a lovely person but there's no need to ascribe him more importance than he deserves.

You wouldn't know this by how hard he's been trumpeting it. Lay with dogs...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has he? I could have sworn someone was talking about how he was dogging on it too, presumably for not being 3E enough and the passing nod towards inclusivity in the chargen section.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Wizards only keeps D&D around because they want to keep the copyright fresh. It does nothing for them other than get them video and computer game royalties and the profits from selling more novels about Drizzt Do'urden.

Do they still write books about that guy? Does anyone under the age of 40 even read them?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Do they still write books about that guy? Does anyone under the age of 40 even read them?

Money from people 40 and over isn't as good as young people money? That's not a bad demographic either because they probably still buy physical books and know nothing of Internet piracy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Has he? I could have sworn someone was talking about how he was dogging on it too, presumably for not being 3E enough and the passing nod towards inclusivity in the chargen section.

No, Pundit's been slobbering all over it since before it came out. He'd start a loving thread like "Is D&D5 super-great, or super-awesome?" like every other week when I was still poking my head into the Site. I've seen him trot out a few criticisms, but for some reason they just don't have the usual tone you'd expect!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Covok posted:

They do, and they are pushing them hard now that Forgotten Realms is the default D&D setting again. Also I know at least 3 people who read them and aren't even into D&D, so yeah people read them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plague of Hats posted:

No, Pundit's been slobbering all over it since before it came out. He'd start a loving thread like "Is D&D5 super-great, or super-awesome?" like every other week when I was still poking my head into the Site. I've seen him trot out a few criticisms, but for some reason they just don't have the usual tone you'd expect!

WOTC's survey posted:

So, what did we learn from our last survey? Let’s take a look at some trends:

* To start with, there are a lot of you. We had more people respond to this survey than any of our playtest surveys. A lot of people are into D&D these days!
* There are a lot of new players and DMs out there. Welcome to D&D!
* You are playing the game in droves. Only about 10 percent of you have read the books without yet playing.
* Your campaigns are just getting started. Most of you are playing at 6th level and below.
* You love the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons, and we’re overjoyed to be able to write that. The overall assessment was incredibly positive, surpassing our results from the playtest by a significant margin.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > D&D NEXT: Great Edition or GREATEST Edition?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Quarex posted:

My 3rd/4th/5th-Edition-hating-friend also duly hated 2nd Edition, no worries--though interestingly I think he hated it more as time went on and the number of supplements you """needed""" grew at an apparently unacceptable rate. Even though I am sure the number of 2nd Edition supplements was not that different than the number of 3rd Edition supplements despite existing much longer.

If I recall correctly, TSR published something close to 500 books in the timespan of 2nd edition. 3rd came nowhere near that close, unless you count all the third-party stuff people churned out.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Quarex posted:

Generally my major issue with 4e is that it's still D&D and so it was still a train of supplements with diminishing returns of value. And though it's a lot better than 3e for balance and optimization in that it's really hard to make an outright bad character, it's still very possible to make ridiculous min-maxed builds that nova or stunlock and reduce combat to a series of equations that just leave less math-divined characters twiddling their thumbs. I think there are fantastic lessons to be learned from it design-wise but it still carries a lot of baggage with it (the feat system, magic items, high-level play, overwhelming crunch, some clunky design in the core material, etc.) that keep me away. I'd love to play it seriously in tt at some point but that's probably never going to happen now. It's just too much of an investment for a single game both in terms of time and money.

Covok posted:

There's Ice-T-

- wait, he's closing in towards 60 now? Huh. Nevermind!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Slimnoid posted:

If I recall correctly, TSR published something close to 500 books in the timespan of 2nd edition. 3rd came nowhere near that close, unless you count all the third-party stuff people churned out.

There was a period where I mathed it and realized at some point they had to be putting out like a book or two a week. I'm not sure any game line will be able to repeat the level of mismanagement that was necessary for that to happen, but we must watch for the madness and never let it grip us again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Impermanent posted:

D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

• Locked thread