Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whydirt posted:

Is there any way to pronounce Cuthbert that doesn't make you sound like you have a lisp?
Cusbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Q-Bert

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Racist Q*Bert meme.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

Uhh, it is pronouncd "Q*Bert" :rolleyes:
The Q*Bert Report

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Reminder before anyone decides to continue last page's proud posting traditions:
Sorry, but we will not move to the back of the bus. We will also not move to the front of the bus. We are going to stand in the middle of the bus, holding the rings, talking just a little too loudly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is the best song for playing an RPG? I think it's either Ween's "Your Party," Elvis Presley's "Party," or "Aaron's Party" by Aaron Carter. That last one assumes your party's Cleric, Artificer, Shaman, or Bard is named Aaron.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Or "Get The Party Started" by Pink, but you have to play this one before the session begins.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Weezer's "In The Garage".
I don't get this one. Maybe if it was "Party in the Garage."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

Andrew W.K.'s "Party Hard" could work in a system that has poorly balanced mechanics.
Or an erotic RPG.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Sounds like one of my generators, that's what it sounds like. I'll sue.
You know you can't complete a long-term project like a lawsuit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

Not being a jerk but how are cards a batter way to involve randomness then dice? Just new a different?
More tactile, arguably they can give players a greater level of control (having a hand of cards to choose from vs. drawing one card/rolling a die).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

RPGs are usually built around collaborative creation and experience of a story
No, storygames are built around "collaborative creation and experience of a story," roleplaying games are about exploring and surviving in a fully-realized, immersive world.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Wow, again? Even I'm sick of that loving argument. Still, in any case, what's the current theoretical framework the hive mind is endorsing for brow beating one's intellectual opponents in to submission? Edward's Big Model? Something else?

I'm finding the discussion of the pro & cons of randomness interesting and as an observation I'll say that it reminds me of the split between card driven and hex & counter wargames, where one has unlimited flexibility of potential action that often goes underutilized and the other restricts choice to a limited range of action that's certainly more gameable but doesn't always feel as immersive or free.
There's no argument, I was just stating the fact of what storygames are vs. RPGs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean you can try to argue with it but you'd just be wrong by definition.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

If only they weren't stupid, arbitrary categories designed entirely to establish nerd superiority over others. "Storygames" and RPG's are the exact same thing, the only thing that makes a difference is approach and playstyle.
Actually, they're not arbitrary, and they're important: RPGs are games in which you play a role, storygames are games in which you take a role in a story. It's not complicated.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RPG: I am Hrothgar, King of Axes, and because of this, I will make the game happen.

Storygame: You are Hrothgar, King of Axes, and here is what happens to you.

True gamer: I prefer the former.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

that's what it means? do i want to be hrothgar? :ohdear:
Do you like axes?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Show me your honor, Hrothgar

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

well, why does every Vampire turn into a sex thing? :colbert:
Cain stabbed his brother Abel from behind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

His curse trickled down for millennia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now let me tell y'all about my excellent hamburger recipe. You just need a pint glass and 80 minutes of oven time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Splicer posted:

Who eats the hat?
It's served with tzatziki sauce.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reene posted:

What kind of glaze do you use.
Type D.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Don't quit your day job just yet.
How do you gently caress up saying "don't quit your day job?" Christ.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnielab posted:

3d6 in order is hilarious because if someone one manages to roll an awesome character they usually, instead of playing them like the superhuman badass hero that they are, they play them as a hyper paranoid nut who is afraid of death.
I think this is literally the plot of Dorian Grey.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fyxt: The Neutering

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Has anyone ever actually run FATAL?
Only as a LARP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RPG conventions aren't fetish events?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

Sticking your dick in someone's ear is probably an insta kill, for reasons lost to the aether.
Penetrating any hole with something that has a higher diameter than it is an instakill, as I recall, which is why you have to roll for things like anal circumference. So you use an Intimidate action to force your opponent to remove their helmet, and the second you stick your dick in their ear they die.

Which is probably accurate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If you play CAH online you'll notice all the custom decks are just full of very specific in-jokes, rather than trying to be edgy and offensive. I think most players just like to play Apples to Apples with longer cards.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Despite humanity's progress, we are still largely defined, and divided by _________________________________.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ah yes, the thematic problems of chess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Basically I stole the entire thing from Mouse Guard.
Well that's not hard. Guards or not, they're just mice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seems like an easy way for your players to try and trick you into thinking their basketweavers are useful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bad GM: What do you think is in the dungeon, my special snowflakes?

Good GM: You encounter three orcs! Roll for initiative, men!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Hello, anime.
Don't sign your posts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't wait for Game of Thrones filler. Wanna see Jon Snow learn to drive.
Well, he already knows how to dive... muff-dive, that is, because he invented it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

No one ate pussy in westeros before he mucked box on that ginger chick?
Canonically, no. He was the first.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Most of the viewers wouldn't notice or care because reading is hard but watching TV pirating HBO is not.
Yeah, that's the problem, those drat viewers are just so lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You waste less time watching a TV show than reading a really lovely book series that's enormous.
But Martin's prose is so fine and so good!

• Locked thread