Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ripoff posted:

I remember that. Did you end up parting it out or did it eventually run at one point or another?
A couple weeks ago I finally got it running right. That's about 6 years after I got the bike. And I still haven't found a set of side covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I got a Moto Guzzi for free once. Ended up being one of the more expensive bikes I've owned. Just throwing that out there.

My main riding buddy finally sold his TU250X and bought a Guzzi V7 special.

I eagerly await the first time it reveals its Italian heritage on a ride.

Oh, and he also recently traded his Impreza on a Fiat 500, so he's really doubling down on the 'fun'.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Side covers must always be the first thing to break. I'm lucky I could still find some for my TS400, just not in the same color.

Christmas came a little early, I thought I wasn't gonna find this stack of boxes on my porch until next week.

That's a front stand, turn signals, and the wrong disc brake that I now have to send back to Bike Bandit. I guess this weekend I'll do the valve shims on the 750, get the carbs cleaned, and maybe attempt to swap out one of the tires.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't get to shimmin' yet, but I did get the rear brake back on. So far it's working well and leak-free. I left room in the reservoir for new pads and disc.

Also tried out some homebrew method to whiten plastics. You combine peroxide, oxyclean and microwave it til it's warm, add corn starch, let it boil a bit and stir until it thickens into a gel. Put it on the plastic and let it sit in the sun and it should whiten it. I reapplied a few times over several hours, it seemed to whiten it quite a bit.

The plan for the TS400 is to go with white fenders with a blue tank and side covers, kinda like this:

I love the look compared to the honda-civic-silver it's currently at. My engine is silver, but I don't think that'll look too out of place.

I also took a minute and measured the hilariously overused front disc on that 750. It's stamped on the disc that the minimum thickness is 3.6 mm. It's currently at 2.6 mm. It's a good thing the bike stopped running before it could kill the guy, jesus christ.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 3, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh I was wondering if retrobrite would work on white car plastics. Looks like it works on bikes at least.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
~Shimmin'~

It took longer than I thought and I launched two collets into the great unknown. Only got to the vertical cylinder, but I got the new chain on and the carbs cleaned and reassembled at least.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 4, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oh, and he also recently traded his Impreza on a Fiat 500, so he's really doubling down on the 'fun'.

Every time someone gets rid of a Subaru, an angel gets its wings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How bad was doing the valves?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Every time someone gets rid of a Subaru, an angel gets its wings.

Every time someone buys a buell, satan expands hell by one slot.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing too horrifically bad. I don't have a proper adapter for measuring the closing shim since they're recessed slightly, so neither one was a first time go. The opening rocker only slides over at a certain point on the cam, which is challenging to find if you're being a poor and bumping the back wheel while the bike is in first to turn the engine. The horizontal exhaust was definitely the most challenging to get the collets out of, but overall not too bad of a job.

Pulled the shims from the horizontal head and I need thicker closing shims that I don't have on hand. I'll have to swing by the duc shop tomorrow after work.

edit: not my picture, but an example of what I'm working with. There's a clip that goes to the right of that top rocker arm, and you can kind of see the little wire collets holding that bottom closing shim in place.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 5, 2015

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So the OEM shims are about $38 a piece. :catstare:

..Or I can just wait a couple days and pay $8 a piece here.

http://emsduc.com/product/closer-shims-8-mm/

Well that was an easy choice.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Also note that he sells a measuring tool for the closing shims, it's really easy to use.

I bought the 8mm shim kit along with the upgraded MBP retainers a few years ago and of course my bike decided to have rock solid valve adjustment ever since so I haven't had a chance to use them.

:italy:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Interesting. I thought the air cutoff valve (the bit above your thumb) was an early 80s UJM phenomenon. I stand corrected.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Also note that he sells a measuring tool for the closing shims, it's really easy to use.

I bought the 8mm shim kit along with the upgraded MBP retainers a few years ago and of course my bike decided to have rock solid valve adjustment ever since so I haven't had a chance to use them.

:italy:

Ordered one of those along with 4 shims. The 4 shims alone cost less that a single OEM shim. The 900 uses 8mm valves too, so I'll probably get to use it some more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put the thing in top gear to rotate the engine

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Surely ducati provide some sort of method of turning the crank directly. Can't you turn the crankshaft timing belt sprocket?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Interesting. I thought the air cutoff valve (the bit above your thumb) was an early 80s UJM phenomenon.

I've got a quadruplet of 70's Honda carbs in the garage with an air cutoff valve on 'em.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-76-77-78-79-Honda-GL1000-GOLDWING-CARBURETOR-AIR-CUTOFF-VALVE-ASSEMBLY-/201296462947?hash=item2ede344463&vxp=mtr

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Surely ducati provide some sort of method of turning the crank directly. Can't you turn the crankshaft timing belt sprocket?

I'm a huge Ducati fan apologist, but even I recognize the fact that Ducati makes some pretty dumb/weird decisions.

That's the front cylinder's exhaust header sitting directly over top the oil fill cap. Those are also streaks of melted plastic where the last guy servicing them put the funnel right on the loving thing. :downsgun: Bonus points for the front exhaust header sitting literally 1 centimeter from the oil cooler lines as well.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

They do.

I assumed they cost $100+ though so I didn't bother looking for an alternative like that one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I bought one for the XX9 series bikes for like 30 bucks from CA Cycleworks - they're a pretty good supplier of random poo poo for Ducatis for reasonable prices.

Edit: Lol, just checked, actually it was $68. Must have been deep in the koolaid when I bought it. Ducati!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always order new belts from them, cheaper than OEM and just as good as far as I can tell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm a cheapass so that looks like something I'd make out of a spark plug socket and a bolt. :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 7, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm a cheapass so that looks like something I'd make out of a spark plug socket and a bolt. :v:

That was my thinking too.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slim Pickens posted:

They do.

I assumed they cost $100+ though so I didn't bother looking for an alternative like that one.

Well I feel like a loving idiot. I was wondering what that little cap was for - I had honestly thought it was related to the clutch release assembly. :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Well I feel like a loving idiot. I was wondering what that little cap was for - I had honestly thought it was related to the clutch release assembly. :psyduck:
It's the same on nearly every modern bike I've seen, they always have some kind of crank turning doohickey hole. I'm not surprised to learn ducati make you buy a special tool instead of just using a bolt on the crank like everyone else.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ducati uses a few special bolts that require special tools, it's kind of annoying. Bikes newer than mine get a special steering stem bolt and special axle bolt on single-sided swingarms.

The EMS valve shims arrived today, gotta love the fast turnaround time with shipping from California. All the valves are set now, but I ran out of daylight to get it all put back together. Possibly Friday, but most likely Saturday, I'll finally turn it over. :woop:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Biek status:

Wheels are off getting new tires fitted. The shop ran out of the proper valve stems so I gotta wait until Tuesday to get them back. The 'new' front disc won't arrive til then anyways, so no big deal. Airbox is back on and everything is hooked up like it used to be. Dunno if I'll cut a big hole in the cover yet, for now I just removed the snorkels and that increased the intake diameter significantly. It keeps blowing out the tail light and brake light fuses, so I gotta find a wiring diagram for this led tail light and hunt down some grounds, possibly. It was rigged like poo poo, though.

The M900 is still crippled with a blown fork seal. I keep ordering the wrong seals and bushing because the tubes went from 41mm to 43mm the very next year, so my belief that both bikes use the same fork seals was pretty wrong. I decided while I'm at it I'll respring the front as well. It's currently at .652 according to racetech, and it recommended ~.825 for me but they only offer a.8 or a .85. I went with the .8, but it'll still be a significant improvement over the current front end. The fancy ohlins is getting swapped in at some point, too, then the 900 should feel like a whole new bike.

Being lazy with the TS400. All I have to do is fix the coil, put it in and get the timing dialed in, but I've been going 100% toward the 750 lately.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Looking at the first picture...is there no oil in the sight glass, or just milky from having some condensation?

I still can't believe that this thing had the ohlins rear, great find.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's tilted back a bit which might be messing with the reading. The oil level was good when it was on tires, you can barely see it at the bottom of the sight glass on stands.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Baby got a new pair of shoes.

Put on the cheapest tires I could find online with a name I recognized as reputable (ContiMotions). BOTH of the old discs were below minimum safe wear. Spec is 3.6mm for both, but the rear was at 3.4mm while the front was at 2.6mm. So, gently used ebay discs on the front and back with new pads on their way in the mail. I'll snap a picture of the old pads when they're off, it's a pretty sad sight.

RaceTech springs, bushings and seals arrived, those'll go on this weekend.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Got the seals replaced, new springs installed and forks back on the bike. The front end definitely rides a little higher now. I haven't swapped in the ohlins shock yet, but right now the sag on the front is right on without any adjustment.

So Question Time: The general relay isn't supposed to come with a scorch mark on it, so I'm gonna replace it. I swapped in the good relay from my other bike, it clicks when the key is turned, but it still burns out the fuse for the dummy lights and tail lights a second after turning on the key. The starter also won't turn over, even with the good relay in. Any idea where I should start looking?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 18, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you want to get a spring rate in between then you use two different spring rates then average them. A lot of people run a 1.0 spring then vary the other to get the rate they want easily.

You're making me want to pick up a cheap project bike. :unsmith:

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Slim Pickens posted:

Got the seals replaced, new springs installed and forks back on the bike. The front end definitely rides a little higher now. I haven't swapped in the ohlins shock yet, but right now the sag on the front is right on without any adjustment.

Replacing fork seals in the living room? I see you like to live dangerously.

Seriously though, great job with this project.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
any lockouts being a twat? clutch, sidestand, NSS? Are you getting power to the starter relay?

velocross posted:

Replacing fork seals in the living room? I see you like to live dangerously.

Yeah no poo poo, You must be single.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gotta be careful about that damping rod, i definitely had a mini fountain a couple times trying to pull that bastard through the spring spacer. And yes, being single is pretty great. I've had tools and poo poo laying all over the place every weekend while I've been fixing the M750 up. Carbs one weekend, wheels the next, then forks this weekend.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the starter solenoid's hosed. I replaced the one on the 900 with a yamaha one, so I'll probably do the same on the 750.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

poo poo, I should check the starter solenoid on the 999 to see if that's why it turns over so slowly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

poo poo, I should check the starter solenoid on the 999 to see if that's why it turns over so slowly.

It's usually the poo poo wire to the starter / grounding in the xx9s.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mine has a wire kit but I should probably pull it off and check it.

Or, far more likely, will just bring battery box to the track and jump it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I bought a spare battery since I don't trust mine. I rode it to work a few times this week and it stalled at every loving stop until it got hot. Starting it back up was difficult since it didn't want to crank hard enough to start until I pulled the headlight fuse the last few times. :suicide:

• Locked thread